• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
vlcsnap-2016-07-22-228tj9l.png

fullpkjp2.jpg

Agent X

That trailer looked very impressive! It truly captures the look and feel of the classic Sonic games from the Genesis era. As a couple of other people hinted at earlier in this thread, it seems like a taste of what we might have seen if development of the 2D Sonic games continued uninterrupted on the Saturn.

The game looks great. Also, that title screen animation is mesmerizing.

I really hope Sonic Mania will become such a huge success that SEGA decides to resurrect some of their neglected series (Streets Of Rage, Golden Axe, Shinobi, etc.) in a similar manner.

Now that you mention it, that's a great idea!

That off-screen footage looks fun. Drop Spin seems more designed for the new levels, but it's making even Green Hill Zone Act 1 cool again. Now we just need Super Tempo-tier visuals and I'm good to go.

Escalario

Banned
Yeah, only Nintendo has to pay for timer exclusives. Yup.

Where I've said anything about only Nintendo paying for timed exclusives? MS is known for timed exclusives (be it delaying releases on other consoles or releasing their own games on PC some time after XB1), and Sony is known for buying timed exclusives of indie games. But hey, keep saying "b-b-b-b-but Sony and MS do it too!" if it helps you.

The game looks great. Also, that title screen animation is mesmerizing.

I really hope Sonic Mania will become such a huge success that SEGA decides to resurrect some of their neglected series (Streets Of Rage, Golden Axe, Shinobi, etc.) in a similar manner.

Now that you mention it, Sonic Mania pretty much looks like the Sonic equivalent of the Streets of Rage Remake game that got shut down by Sega.

Would be nice to see Sega get Bombergames to actually officially release that.

And I gotta say, I really love the visuals. Looks like a lost 2D 32x/Saturn game.

Vex_

Banned
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE SEGA.

This is what you were teasing? A ROMHACK???! Fuckng A. I just want a new sonic game that you actually put effort into.

Sigh!

Guess Who

Banned
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE SEGA.

This is what you were teasing? A ROMHACK???! Fuckng A. I just want a new sonic game that you actually put effort into.

Sigh!

if by "rom hack" you mean "brand new 2d sonic game built from the ground up on a modern engine with new art and new mechanics and new levels and tons of shit that would never have been possible on the genesis" then yes it's a rom hack

Anth0ny

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE SEGA.

Sigh!

A rom hack is about a billion times more appealing than anything else they could have made with the sonic name

Mega man 9 is a rom hack and it's the best mega man since Megaman 3

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE SEGA.

Sigh!

Yes. A romhack. Just like Contra 4, Mega Man 9 & 10, Castlevania ReBirth, etc.

For what it's worth, they pretty obviously hinted at a modern Sonic game announcement to close out the event.

Atrarock

Fantastic, I was expecting something much different and wouldn't mind it, but this is seriously the next best thing...hell not even the next best thing, just a great thing in general.

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE SEGA.

Sigh!
3DF4KHH.png

Also, I won't lie, the Drop Spin sounds like a genius mechanic. It works as a spin-dash that can be done while moving, but needs a clear vertical space to do it and probably can't be spammed like the boost.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE SEGA.

Sigh!
This has to be trolling. ROM Hack? This is a brand new fucking 2D Sonic done in the style of what Sonic might look like now if the 3D generation hadn't come along. It's basically the Shovel Knight of Sonic games. This game looks better than any Sonic game from the last 17 years. Which is also almost as much time as it's been since Sega actually put effort into a Sonic game.

This is the Sonic game Sonic deserves.

You'll get your shitty 3D "modern" Sonic game. Just calm your horses.

Kinsei

Banned

I had my doubts but that looks awesome. If other levels have that kind of design then this game will be a true return to form.

Also, I won't lie, the Drop Spin sounds like a genius mechanic. It works as a spin-dash that can be done while moving, but needs a clear vertical space to do it and probably can't be spammed like the boost.

I think you will be able to spam it but it will take skill and knowledge of the level.

Also, I won't lie, the Drop Spin sounds like a genius mechanic. It works as a spin-dash that can be done while moving, but needs a clear vertical space to do it and probably can't be spammed like the boost.
My hope is that you can't spam it, meaning something like a 1-second delay between boosts. And obviously you need to be landing on a surface in order to do it. This encourages you to jump more often; do we know if you also have to tuck in before attempting a Drop Spin?

Ash735

I mean it looks nice. But it is the same stuff, plus bonus stages?

Sigh!
Outside of Green Hill Zone, which is obviously being used as a reintroduction to show how well the engine is, the rest of the zones shown were new, the bonus modes were new, and the sprites are new as well as the animation.

If anything, Green Hill is redrawn too, but the fact that soo many people think it's just ripped sprites of the original; just goes to show how well this team have done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom