• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 1 in 5 PS4s sold since Pro's release are PS4 Pros

It's way less than i thought and seems bad to me. If you consider there is an extra development cost for the devs.

What's the incentive for a third party make improvements over the base console version of a game with these numbers? seems like a waste of money , because it won't be a huge improvement in sales over the base console. I'm missing / mistaking something here?
Yes, you are. Your mistake is trying to make the Pro out of something it isn't. The Pro was always meant to supplement the Slim.

okita

Yes, you are. Your mistake is trying to make the Pro out of something it isn't. The Pro was always meant to supplement the Slim.

Well this don't answer my question, but thanks anyway

Just to clarify , i'm worried about support of the devs after seeing these numbers.

It's way less than i thought and seems bad to me. If you consider there is an extra development cost for the devs.

What's the incentive for a third party make improvements over the base console version of a game with these numbers? seems like a waste of money , because it won't be a huge improvement in sales over the base console. I'm missing / mistaking something here?

I don't see much of an incentive for the devs at least as it is. There was some backlash for how Prey advertised Pro enhancements and didn't feature them, but overall people didn't give a shit enough about the game to generate awareness of these enhancements. What I mean is people who bought the Pro obviously would like this feature, but if devs stop doing it altogether because they just don't give a fuck then even less people will care about this thing.

My point is I don't feel bad for the developers, ultimately they will dictate if this does well or poorly.

gatti-man

Imo this is great. The PS4 pro is super niche and doesn't even have UHD. This proves that there is room for an enthusiast spec console and (once again imo) ensures support for those of us that want more hardware updates than once every 6-8 years.

20% is a healthy margin of enthusiasts especially when the base PS4 is markedly cheaper. I was afraid it would be closer to 10-15% honestly.

Edit: and to those saying supporting the pro is an added expense. It hardly is. Pro support is usually better effects and higher res or more frames. This is not asking a lot and if the dev is already releasing a Pc version it should be incredibly marginal cost wise to support it.

Matt

Well this don't answer my question, but thanks anyway

Just to clarify , i'm worried about support of the devs after seeing these numbers.
Well this result is about what Sony was telling devs to expect, so I wouldn't worry about that.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Scorpio has a bit of a different advantage, besides being more powerful. A LOT of people switched to Sony this generation. If the Scorpio is executed properly (price point, power, future games), Microsoft could potentially persuade a lot of PS4 owners to switch back to Xbox,

Where the PS4 is already the dominant console, by a fairly large margin. So you are going to get the core gamers to upgrade, but Sony isn't going to really going to attract the smaller XB1 install base to switch to PS4.

I feel that Microsoft has the chance to really knock it out of the park, but everything has to be perfect. I remember seeing Phil state that they are moving away from marketing deals, so I am really hoping they are funneling that money into creating new IPs.

For mid gen, whats more likely to happen is alot of ppl with XBO will get the Scorpio. If it was called next gen? Maybe it could pull alot of PS4 owners..

But you do have those with PS4's that didnt get a Pro. So its possible.

Those that already got the Pro? I feel that ship has sailed for MS.

For mid gen, whats more likely to happen is alot of ppl with XBO will get the Scorpio. If it was called next gen? Maybe it could pull alot of PS4 owners..

But you do have those with PS4's that didnt get a Pro. So its possible.

Those that already got the Pro? I feel that ship has sailed for MS.

I feel like it would be the opposite. About this time last gen was when I started to consider buying a PS3 and hammer through all the exclusives I missed out on. Ultimately I didn't bother and just bought a ps4 and xbox one at the start of this gen, but perhaps a more powerful version of the ps3 would have made me make the jump.

A person making a switch mid-gen has a fair amount of games to play, and those games aren't too dated yet. Just my line of though!

paulogy

PS4 sales were ~50 million as of last year and are ~60 million now, so that's ~10 million sold in the time since PS4 Pro was launched late last year. If 1 in 5 PS4s sold are Pros that's ~2 million PS4 Pros. And it sounds like they could have moved a lot more if they had made them. Oops!

Interestingly enough they sold over 1 million PSVRs in that timeframe, and I can't help but wonder if the release of both sets of similarly-priced hardware in a similar timeframe hurt the sales of each. I remember a lot of posts with folks saying should they get the PSVR or the Pro (if not both)? Seems folks went with the Pro 2 to 1.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That's very disappointing.
I thought that used PS4 Amateurs would be almost worthless by now.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Most people haven't adopted 4K TVs yet, which is the main draw of the PS4 Pro.

Hubble

The Pro is a win for us gamers regardless of third party support. We always want advancing hardware. Plus, you can guarantee that first party studios will push the Pro and that is worth it alone. You are going to see some fantastic looking Pro games by first party that would not be possible on the regular model.

Ravage

I'm perplexed by some of the responses in this thread. To those who are underwhelmed by a 20% ratio, you need to match your perception to actual reality.

1) Premium tier product - what do you think is the % of total smartphone sales held by premium flagships vs their mid/budget range counterparts?

2) Expectations - considering how there was virtually no marketing campaign, low-key announcement, muted sales push, supply constraints (you had to wait for months to get one in Asia), hints from numerous interviews, etc ... it's very likely that this is exactly what Sony expected.

Drifters

Ravage is on point. Sony hitting 20% right now in a soft market means that Sony could drop the PS4 to $249 and the Pro $349 and increase that while the Scorpio faces an uphill battle of a $499 or higher price point.

Loudninja

I'm perplexed by some of the responses in this thread. To those who are underwhelmed by a 20% ratio, you need to match your perception to actual reality.

1) Premium tier product - what do you think is the % of total smartphone sales held by premium flagships vs their mid/budget range counterparts?

2) Expectations - considering how there was virtually no marketing campaign, low-key announcement, muted sales push, supply constraints (you had to wait for months to get one in Asia), hints from numerous interviews, etc ... it's very likely that this is exactly what Sony expected.
Yeah I am kinda confused

Eh I don't really agree with that. We don't know that you always need to have the cheaper version offered because we haven't had this situation before. How do we know that phasing the regular PS4 out for the Pro would hurt their momentum? We don't. It's all speculation at this point. Give people enough reason to buy the product and they'll buy it at the price you want to sell it for. It's always been like this.

That's not how that works. Apple doesn't just junk the iphone 7 when the 6 comes out. Honda doesn't set the lot of 2016 Sonata's alight when the 2017s come in.

The biggest consumer spending weekend in the world is a clearance sale on old electronics. The entire reason price drops happen is because consumers are price sensitive. Phasing out the $250 sku would raise sales of the $400... and it would also raise sales of the X1, Switch, and low level gaming PCs, because Sony computer entertainment doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Sony is barely marketing the PS4 Pro since it launched, Microsoft on the other hand has hyped up Scorpio since E3 2016.

You can bet your butt Microsoft is putting a lot of money into Scorpio and marketing for it.

Lemondish

Scorpio has a bit of a different advantage, besides being more powerful. A LOT of people switched to Sony this generation. If the Scorpio is executed properly (price point, power, future games), Microsoft could potentially persuade a lot of PS4 owners to switch back to Xbox,

Where the PS4 is already the dominant console, by a fairly large margin. So you are going to get the core gamers to upgrade, but Sony isn't going to really going to attract the smaller XB1 install base to switch to PS4.

I feel that Microsoft has the chance to really knock it out of the park, but everything has to be perfect. I remember seeing Phil state that they are moving away from marketing deals, so I am really hoping they are funneling that money into creating new IPs.

Games are key, and unfortunately a lot of the promises and announcements from years ago were either cancelled or haven't yet materialized. Those that have haven't set the world on fire.

So even with power and price point on their side, they still lack a compelling slate of exclusive content now into the future. I don't think you're going to see a lot of enthusiast​ PS4 users swap to Xbox - that seems like a pipe dream.

GenericUser

20% for a premium PS4 is not poorly.
In my opinion it is. It's constantly on sale where I live and still only one out of five PlayStations is a pro?

But I kinda understand, the upgrade you get with the pro is underwhelming. It cannot even get 1080p games to 60fps nor will it consistently render at 4k.

I don't think sony is happy about that and that's a good thing. Ingen upgrades are anti consumer I want them to go away.

Kayant

In my opinion it is. It's constantly on sale where I live and still only one out of five PlayStations is a pro?

But I kinda understand, the upgrade you get with the pro is underwhelming. It cannot even get 1080p games to 60fps nor will it consistently render at 4k.

I don't think sony is happy about that and that's a good thing. Ingen upgrades are anti consumer I want them to go away.
😂😂😂😂😂 Say it a couple more times it may be true.

Interesting world were a completely optional more powerful hardware is anti consumer.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Only 1 and 5?

Okay, I got to say something otherwise that's super duper bait. I sorta expected the average consumer to go for the higher end - was the Pro pushed and bundled as much as the Slim?
Given it's supply constrained, it's selling exactly as well as Sony could hope.

Yopis

So the direct statement from them is a lie? This post reads when translated,like what I like or else it's bad.

jeffram

There are certainly some people in this thread that are going to face a few harsh realities once Scorpio launches:

1. Scorpio will not vault Microsoft into consistent sales leads over PlayStation

2. One s will sell better than Scorpio, not too different in ratio to the pro

3. We are facing overall diminishing returns on GPU power, the upgrade from pro to Scorpio will be less noticeable to most viewers than the upgrade from PS4 to pro. We're at a point where we've got enough power for most developers to create visually striking games.

Colin Moriarty might be rolling over in his grave hearing this news. I guarantee you that is enough to justify the existence of the Pro.

Ravage is on point. Sony hitting 20% right now in a soft market means that Sony could drop the PS4 to $249 and the Pro $349 and increase that while the Scorpio faces an uphill battle of a $499 or higher price point.

Where are you pulling that number from? I seriously doubt that Scorpio will end up being $499. Well see, but you are saying it will be $499 or higher? Did you see something announced somewhere that I didn't?

kyser73

I don't think PS4 Pro is supply constrained. PS VR on the other hand..

Ryan & Layden both say that it is. Just because there're some in your local retailer doesn't mean that overall demand is higher than supply to some regions - IIRC many SEAsiaGAF posters have mentioned Pro supply issues repeatedly.

I'm happy that my January guesstimate of 20% has proved correct, and it's worth pointing out that if that ratio is maintained and Sony sell 18m units this FY that'll be 3.6mn units of a premium, probably higher margin, console.

But no, clearly a complete failure for Sony because reading-comprehension impaired Gaffers said so.

Games are key, and unfortunately a lot of the promises and announcements from years ago were either cancelled or haven't yet materialized. Those that have haven't set the world on fire.

So even with power and price point on their side, they still lack a compelling slate of exclusive content now into the future. I don't think you're going to see a lot of enthusiast​ PS4 users swap to Xbox - that seems like a pipe dream.

That's part of what I meant by " Scorpio needs to be executed perfectly". They need to devote the money saved from the marketing deals they no longer have into new IPs.

If they go into e3 with guns blazing (new ips, best looking third party games, OG backwards compatibility, maybe throw in a couple months of game pass free with Scorpio), then I believe they could sell a lot of units.

Edit: I see I'm straying off topic. I think 20% is good for the pro, but I think Scorpio will do much better. MS needs it to.

RedAssedApe

Banned

assuming you're trolling at this point

I'm happy to hear this... maintain support and keep stepping it up with more Pro patches and games that really shine on it from day 1.

panda-zebra

Banned

How is New Zealand this time of year?

FingerBang

Sony is barely marketing the PS4 Pro since it launched, Microsoft on the other hand has hyped up Scorpio since E3 2016.

You can bet your butt Microsoft is putting a lot of money into Scorpio and marketing for it.

It's going to hurt much more then. Unless Scorpio is 249$.

Top Bottom