• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 21.3 Million PS3's sold Worldwide

FrankT

Keikoku said:
How much for the 360 ? Should be at 26-27m amirite ?

28.5 million end of 08. Same date as these figures run to in there previously posted quarterly earnings report. Likely closer to 30 now.

_leech_ said:
Gamecube LTD surpassed in a little over 2 years, about 3 million behind the original Xbox. I think I need a new tag.

Except in the realm of actual sale through no where near to outselling the Cube in either the US or JPN. It's actually tracking spot on with it. It is however showing strength beyond the GC in Europe.

Rolf NB

cr_blah_blah said:
except the chart you based it off doesn't include the 3 biggest months of the year? I'd think that would be pretty important to make an accurate determination. Your info could be right on but not including those means the info isn't anywhere near accurate.
It is accurate for the period within NPD's margin of error. Nintendo didn't disclose total unit numbers for the fourth quarter, so using the remainder of the year wasn't a choice I made.

I have no reason to expect holiday to skew differently. If anything, early 2008 should have seen the greatest influx of movie buffs into the group of PS3 owners which should have diluted the rate of game sales. It didn't.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Stoney Mason said:
People really need to drop this meme.
PS3 really is the odd man out when it comes to console pricing. For as much as people say that it's selling like Gamecube, that console consistently cost 3-4 times less.

David H Wong said:
And where was the PS2 at this point in its lifespan? About double this, right?
x_x PS2 curbstomped every console "at this point" except for the Wii. There's always something bigger and better coming out. Anyway, I don't see what PS2 sales have to do with PS3 sales.

I believe the Wii is selling better anyway.

Jtyettis said:
28.5 million end of 08. Same date as these figures run to in there previously posted quarterly earnings report. Likely closer to 30 now.

I thought it was 28.0 million at the end of 08, either way I don't think it sold at least 1.5 million in January and half of February.

FrankT

AranhaHunter said:
I thought it was 28.0 million at the end of 08, either way I don't think it sold at least 1.5 million in January and half of February.

Nope, they said 28 million at the end of 08, but they adjusted with the earnings report at 28.5. And to have shipped near 1.5 million close to two months later isn't much of feat. I expect them to announce 30 million no less than weeks away at GDC.

Lord Error said:
PS3 really is the odd man out when it comes to console pricing. For as much as people say that it's selling like Gamecube, that console consistently cost 3-4 times less.

Which is why it makes it doubly odd imo that they went with only a high end model for a game market.

Tmac

The ps3 is in a interesting situation.

It always sold much better than most people tought (not talking about raw numbers, but about general perception) and yet, its not that spetacular.

so basically sony sold in 2008 only about 300.000 consoles more, but in 2007 there were two months without europen sales..

so basically.. they sold less ?

( i'm a sony fan,just asking)

Jtyettis said:
Nope, they said 28 million at the end of 08, but they adjusted with the earnings report at 28.5. And to have shipped near 1.5 million close to two months later isn't much of feat. I expect them to announce 30 million no less than weeks away at GDC.

Do you have a link for that adjustment? I think 1.5 million in January/February is a lot unless it's Wii/DS.

FrankT

AranhaHunter said:
Do you have a link for that adjustment? I think 1.5 million in January/February is a lot unless it's Wii/DS.

Sure do, just a sec.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349787

dndaix.jpg

6 million for the quarter equals 28.5 million WW at the end 08. It was 5.5 million before that. Here is a hint for ya if you don't feel like going through all there shipment numbers, they hit 22.5 million shipped the quarter before. And as far shipments that is what we are talking about here not sold through. So I really don't see 1.5 in the last two months being that much, maybe few more weeks but not much more.

Or if you would just like someone to qoute you the whole number for you, here;

http://www.techspot.com/news/33403-console-sales-wii-leads-playstation-3-closes-in-on-360.html

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Tmac said:
The ps3 is in a interesting situation.

It always sold much better than most people tought (not talking about raw numbers, but about general perception) and yet, its not that spetacular.

I think the perception is only pandemic among Americans, other people, not so much.

The ps3 is pretty much selling at the same clip as the 360 year by year, maybe a little bit faster if you compare period from launch. I am always puzzled why GAF generally feels that the 360 is doing so much better than the PS3. Probably because most of the posters are americans.

big_z

Looking at the number, it's important to note that Sony - unlike many other companies - counts actual sales, not just units shipped to retail

shipped = from factory to warehouse
actual sales = sold to retailers from warehouse?

21.3 seems a bit high for a console that consistently sells not so well.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
big_z said:
shipped = from factory to warehouse
actual sales = sold to retailers from warehouse?

21.3 seems a bit high for a console that consistently sells not so well.

Not really, it nearly always sells just about as well as the 360 WW. Just that the NA sales are more prominent.

Jtyettis said:
Sure do, just a sec.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349787

http://i39.tinypic.com/dndaix.jpg

6 million for the quarter equals 28.5 million WW at the end 08. It was 5.5 million before that. Here is a hint for ya if you don't feel like going through all there shipment numbers, they hit 22.5 million shipped the quarter before. And as far shipments that is what we are talking about here not sold through. So I really don't see 1.5 in the last two months being that much, maybe few more weeks but not much more.

Or if you would just like someone to qoute you the whole number for you, here;

http://www.techspot.com/news/33403-console-sales-wii-leads-playstation-3-closes-in-on-360.html

Thanks for that and wow at the Wii at 45 million, holy shit.

FrankT

stuburns said:
Considering it's 12-16 month head start (depending on location) and consistently cheaper price, that's not as big of a difference as it should be.

It's larger than the difference than when the PS3 actually launched.

StuBurns

Banned
Jtyettis said:
It's larger than the difference than when the PS3 actually launched.
It should be, as prices come down console sales should increase. I don't know about world wide but the 360 is HALF the price of the PS3 in the UK. It should be selling double the units. They're basically the same.

FrankT

stuburns said:
It should be, as prices come down console sales should increase. I don't know about world wide but the 360 is HALF the price of the PS3 in the UK. It should be selling double the units. They're basically the same.

No, they are not selling the same in the UK, sorry. As TravisB should know clearly by now. Recommend not taking permabets on UK sales my friend.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
stuburns said:

not failing to mention that when more games are released over time, more people would buy the systems. And the PS3's price will decrease over time as well, so its sales will improve over time as well as more and more people can afford to buy the system.

Top Bottom