• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 21.3 Million PS3's sold Worldwide

bobbytkc said:
I think the perception is only pandemic among Americans, other people, not so much.

The ps3 is pretty much selling at the same clip as the 360 year by year, maybe a little bit faster if you compare period from launch. I am always puzzled why GAF generally feels that the 360 is doing so much better than the PS3. Probably because most of the posters are americans.

Yep the PS3 getting handily outsold in the largest market makes it seem like the PS3 isn't selling well everywhere.

StuBurns

Banned
Jtyettis said:
No, they are not selling the same in the UK, sorry. As TravisB should know clearly by now. Recommend not taking permabets on UK sales my friend.
I wouldn't, but it does surprise me that the PS3 is doing even as well as it is. For the extra cost I don't think 'gamers' get the extra value. I prefer the PS3 without question, but for someone only buying one console I can't imagine them buying the PS3 over the 360 at this point.

Banned
stuburns said:
Considering it's 12-16 month head start (depending on location) and consistently cheaper price, that's not as big of a difference as it should be.

Being up 7 Million on the successor to the PS2 is a hell of an accomplishment.

StuBurns

Banned
Karma said:
Without question. Microsoft have done an incredible job.

I'm just surprised the gap isn't a little larger.

Tmac

Karma said:

Depends what you consider the successor of the PS2.

Company wise its the PS3 or course. But if you look better, the WII is much more of a "successor" to the ps2 than the ps3 itself. Both were "technologically" behind the competition, both were cheaper, both had a lot of crap games, both were the # mommy (and everyone else who didnt had/have a clue about games - not because they were bad choices, but because they become sysonym to videogames).

So whos the real successor to the ps2?

stuburns said:
Without question. Microsoft have done an incredible job.

I'm just surprised the gap isn't a little larger.
If they didn't completely bomb last generation in Japan it probably would be. Now they're going to spend this and next generation making up for their mistakes in that region.

MotherFan

I don't understand how this is an accomplishment or that anyone should be thrilled about this. The console is still last, it has lost marketshare by tons since the last generation and is losing tons of money for the company (and does not matter if it turns profit next year, it will never ever make back what was lost on it). MS has accomlished its major goal, Nintendo has come back from the grave, how can this be good?

If you were an A student and made an F in a class, then made it up to a D it is still not a cause for celebration.

AniHawk

RandomVince said:
Didnt it launch at $399 for the Pro unit?

It was $499 and $599 in the US.

EDIT: Oops, forgot the Pro was the 360. Yeah, I didn't buy a 360 until it was under $300 (or the various pieces were around that).

Yagharek

Yeah I knew what you meant, I wasnt clear about it though. Fixed in any case :)

I guess the thing you guys in NA have about '$599 USD!!!' [/kaz] is that it is a massive price increase over previous hw pricing, but for where I live (Aus), it wasnt that much of a jump over other launches.

For comparison (from memory):
PS1 $649
Saturn $799
N64 $399
Dreamcast $499
PS2 $749
Gamecube $329
XBox $649, dropped to $399 in 2 weeks
360 Pro $649
360 Core $399 or $499, not sure
PS3 $999
Wii $399

PS3 compares favourably versus PS2 and Saturn given our economy at the 3 respective launch periods.

ChaoticBlue said:
sony selling over 21 mill for the ps3 at $399-599 is an accomplishment.

i'm surprised the gap has not been greater.

Wow, talk about lowered expectations. Sony is selling less than MS is being lapped by the wii while languishing in third place and bleeding money and this can be spun as an accomplishment:lol .

PS1 and PS2 totally dominated. Just last gen the word playstation was synonymous with gaming. To go from what sony had last gen i.e huge market share, massive profits and incredible third party support to what they have now is incredible. If anyone had suggested this could happen before the start of this gen they would of been called a fucking moron (before the whole 599$ fiasco). It's almost unthinkable how much of a failure the PS3 has truly been.

To lose as much mind/market share as sony has while pissing away billions of dollars(the true extent of which is masked by PSP and PS2 profits) must be one of the greatest fuck ups in the history of business.

Also people keep talking about the high price like it's going to change. The PS3 is far more expensive than the 360 and it always will be. MS is making more money from it's games division than sony despite the fact that PS2 and PSP are offsetting the losses and despite the fact that they just cut the price. If anything MS may drop the price of the 360 before sony can do the same with the PS3.

dfyb

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Except in the realm of actual sale through no where near to outselling the Cube in either the US or JPN. It's actually tracking spot on with it. It is however showing strength beyond the GC in Europe.
regardless of what the figures are, how is it possible to be 'tracking spot on' with cube and be 'no where near to outselling' cube? if it's tracking spot on, it's quite literally as close as logically possible to outselling it. :lol

AniHawk

RandomVince said:
Yeah I knew what you meant, I wasnt clear about it though. Fixed in any case :)

I guess the thing you guys in NA have about '$599 USD!!!' [/kaz] is that it is a massive price increase over previous hw pricing, but for where I live (Aus), it wasnt that much of a jump over other launches.

For comparison (from memory):
PS1 $649
Saturn $799
N64 $399
Dreamcast $499
PS2 $749
Gamecube $329
XBox $649, dropped to $399 in 2 weeks
360 Pro $649
360 Core $399 or $499, not sure
PS3 $999
Wii $399

PS3 compares favourably versus PS2 and Saturn given our economy at the 3 respective launch periods.

In the US, it was:

N64: $200
GC: $200
Wii: $250
PS1: $300
PS2: $300
Xbox: $300
Saturn: $400
360: $400 (for all intensive porpoises)
PS3: $500-$600

The Saturn was an outright failure, and the 360 had a hard time getting started. The fact that the software sales aren't as strong as some other systems gives me hope that none of the console makers will ever do something like this again.

AniHawk

dfyb said:
regardless of what the figures are, how is it possible to be 'tracking spot on' with cube and be 'no where near to outselling' cube? if it's tracking spot on, it's quite literally as close as logically possible to outselling it. :lol

And actually it's outselling it by a little, but it's behind the Xbox in the States. Sales have picked up in Japan recently, which helps a lot.

FrankT

dfyb said:

:lol :lol

Say what? The figures in the US and JPN are damn near spot on. However you want that slice be my guest. The only place it is tracking above is Europe and as far as actual sale through the last we've seen is 7 millon which ain't all that much. No where anywhere near in either the US or JPN as far overtaking.

dfyb

Banned
Karma said:
that's like saying it's one hell of an accomplishment for beating a champion runner when he tripped and broke his ankle.

MotherFan

AdventureRacing said:
Wow, talk about lowered expectations. Sony is selling less than MS is being lapped by the wii while languishing in third place and bleeding money and this can be spun as an accomplishment:lol .

PS1 and PS2 totally dominated. Just last gen the word playstation was synonymous with gaming. To go from what sony had last gen i.e huge market share, massive profits and incredible third party support to what they have now is incredible. If anyone had suggested this could happen before the start of this gen they would of been called a fucking moron (before the whole 599$ fiasco). It's almost unthinkable how much of a failure the PS3 has truly been.

To lose as much mind/market share as sony has while pissing away billions of dollars(the true extent of which is masked by PSP and PS2 profits) must be one of the greatest fuck ups in the history of business.

Also people keep talking about the high price like it's going to change. The PS3 is far more expensive than the 360 and it always will be. MS is making more money from it's games division than sony despite the fact that PS2 and PSP are offsetting the losses and despite the fact that they just cut the price. If anything MS may drop the price of the 360 before sony can do the same with the PS3.

I tell you, these sony fans are the pr people of the future. Tucker Bounds in training.

dfyb

Banned
Jtyettis said:

Say what? The figures in the US and JPN are damn near spot on.
so clarify what you mean by spot on. i'm assuming you're saying that PS3 is selling spot on with what gamecube did. so tell me this -- to be outselling gamecube, does it need to sell a whole lot more or just a little...? use your head, man. if it's already matching figures, it's as close as possible to outselling those figures.

AniHawk

Jtyettis said:

Say what? The figures in the US and JPN are damn near spot on. However you want that slice be my guest. The only place it is tracking above is Europe. No where anywhere near in either the US or JPN as far overtaking.

Unlike the Gamecube, the PS3 has been steadily getting stronger as time's gone on. But also unlike the Gamecube (and, well, more like the DS), it had an incredibly weak start (GBA vs PS3)

FrankT

dfyb said:
so clarify what you mean by spot on. i'm assuming you're saying that PS3 is selling spot on with what gamecube did. so tell me this -- to be outselling gamecube, does it need to sell a whole lot more or just a little...? use your head, man. if it's already matching figures, it's as close as possible to outselling those figures.

Now you are just twisting words. I said it's selling basically what the Cube has done in those territories. Not real hard to grasp, laughable.

MotherFan

AniHawk said:
Unlike the Gamecube, the PS3 has been steadily getting stronger as time's gone on. But also unlike the Gamecube (and, well, more like the DS), it had an incredibly weak start (GBA vs PS3)

What? It is down from the same time period last year and its holiday sales were lower too. How is this getting stronger?

dfyb

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Now you are just twisting words. I said it's selling basically what the Cube has done in those territories. Not real hard grasp, laughable.
i'm selling 10 and you're selling 10. if you sell just one more, you're outselling me 11 to 10.

PS3 can't be 'no where near' outselling gamecube if it's already matching it. i'm not twisting your words at all :lol

AniHawk

MotherFan said:
What? It is down from the same time period last year and its holiday sales were lower too. How is this getting stronger?

The Gamecube had a hard time hitting 200k in a month. The PS3 has been doing it on occasion in the past year. The totals are close, but that's because the PS3's 2007 and launch was particularly awful. Over time, the PS3 is going to overtake the GC and probably Xbox too if things remain steady. I think the rough part is over.

FrankT

dfyb said:
i'm selling 10 and you're selling 10. if you sell just one more, you're outselling me 11 to 10.

PS3 can't be 'no where near' outselling gamecube if it's already matching it. i'm not twisting your words at all :lol

And when I say outselling I mean overall in those territories. As in outsold. Oh, what do I mean now. :lol

So let me put it to you clearly. The PS3 has shipped close to what the Gamecube has done, but it is no where near to close to outselling overall totals in the US and JPN (actual sale through data). So while it is close in shipments it's about ~5-6 million give or take shy of actual sale through in those territories.

Crystal clear.

AniHawk said:
Sales have picked up in Japan recently, which helps a lot.

It's the worst February in Japan since launch. For comparison sake of where they are at in the territory as far as sold through;

JoshuaJSlone said:
PS3 comparisons: After 117 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 32.0 weeks (October 8, 2000), where PSP was at 57.4 weeks (January 11, 2006), where GCN was at 118.8 weeks (December 19, 2003), and where Wii was at 30.6 weeks (June 29, 2007).

AniHawk said:
And actually it's outselling it by a little.

By a little you mean 40k give or take you would be correct;

By comparison, the PS3 sold 6.79 million units in the U.S. during the same initial 26-month period, compared to 6.75 million GameCubes, which finished a distant third last generation and forced Nintendo to rethink how it sold video games

http://venturebeat.com/2009/01/19/wii-is-on-track-to-outsell-playstation-2-while-ps-3-is-on-par-with-gamecube-sales/

AniHawk said:

Which has really nothing to do with what actually stated. Will it trend out with longer legs? I would I hope so with a ten year plan. And as far as stronger goes it has been trending downward for the last three months per NPD. Better 08 obviously post price cut (save the key holiday months) after what happened in 07.

freddy

Banned
Smitty3000 said:
http://kotaku.com/5157636/sony-there-are-21-million-ps3s-out-there

Numbers from December so its probably a bit higher but good for Sony, to be selling at a much higher price than the competition and still be able to hang in the console war is quite admirable, although I'd like to see what a price drop would do to those numbers...
Neither Microsoft or Sony are hanging in any console war. They are both being shat on from a great height and to date the only bragging rights either have had is that one has more turd on it than the other.

MotherFan

AniHawk said:
The Gamecube had a hard time hitting 200k in a month. The PS3 has been doing it on occasion in the past year. The totals are close, but that's because the PS3's 2007 and launch was particularly awful. Over time, the PS3 is going to overtake the GC and probably Xbox too if things remain steady. I think the rough part is over.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about in general, you are comparing it to GC. It is doing better than that.

But your line makes it seem as ps3 is selling more and more as time goes on and that is not the case.

Jtyettis said:

Say what? The figures in the US and JPN are damn near spot on. However you want that slice be my guest. The only place it is tracking above is Europe and as far as actual sale through the last we've seen is 7 millon which ain't all that much. No where anywhere near in either the US or JPN as far overtaking.

You can nitpick over individual territories but the The Gamecube is beat worldwide, get over it. Everybody beat the Gamecube (in half or a third of the time) and it looks like everyone's going to beat the Xbox and N64, too.

_leech_ said:
You can nitpick over individual territories but the The Gamecube is beat worldwide, get over it. Everybody beat the Gamecube (in half or a third of the time) and it looks like everyone's going to beat the Xbox and N64, too.
Don't forget the Genesis, 360 is about a million away from passing it. If this generation lasts long enough I could see the PS360 passing the SNES.

FrankT

_leech_ said:

Leech you can nitpick all you want the data is there and the sale through in those territories is on the same track. Now Europe is another story just as I stated originally.

JoshuaJSlone said:
In real world, given that we're a month and a half from those figures? Probably. But 21.3 million is still a little shy.

Yeah, until Wii Europe was really Nintendo's weak spot. 7 million there puts it pretty close to NES/SNES, and way ahead of GCN's final total.

Nitpicky here, but GCN's third year in the US was its best, so it did get stronger after launch. Though yeah, PS3 is doing better; GCN never did as well as PS3 did in 2008.

This is true I had thought GCN was around 5 million at end and 7 million or so would certainly be a step up.

Yagharek

AniHawk said:
In the US, it was:

N64: $200
GC: $200
Wii: $250
PS1: $300
PS2: $300
Xbox: $300
Saturn: $400
360: $400 (for all intensive porpoises)
PS3: $500-$600

The Saturn was an outright failure, and the 360 had a hard time getting started. The fact that the software sales aren't as strong as some other systems gives me hope that none of the console makers will ever do something like this again.

You would probably be safe to assume that. Sony and MS (to a lesser extent) may have gotten carried away with their success last gen and assumed that they could pile in more features for more money and sell on that + brand strength.

I would not be surprised if next gen the machines are more modestly priced and modestly upgraded over this gen.

SimpleDesign said:
Don't forget the Genesis, 360 is about a million away from passing it. If this generation lasts long enough I could see the PS360 passing the SNES.

The snes sold less than 50 million didn't it? PS360 should pass it this year (not sure why we're adding them together).

The total amount of gaming consoles sold this gen is amazing. The DS is on track to outsell the PS2 and become the best selling console of all time. Despite this the PSP may still end selling more than any other console bar DS, PS2 and PS1. The handheld market has exploded.

The home console market is also considerably bigger. The wii is a fair way ahead of the PS2, the 360 is on track to outsell the xbox by a large margin and the PS3 is on track to comfortably outsell the gamecube.

If you combine DS (140), PSP (70), 360 (40), PS3 (35) and wii (130) together we could end up seeing 400 million+ consoles sold which quite frankly would be amazing. Those are just rough estimates and i think a few may well sell more than that.

Last gen between GBA, PS2, dreamcast, xbox and gamecube total sales were less than 300 million (i think).

AniHawk

SimpleDesign said:

Combining the PS3 and 360 doesn't make sense. You wouldn't combine the SNES and Genesis to form the mighty GeneSNES, would you?

No, you wouldn't, because its power is too great to contain. That's why they were made separately in the first place, under the veil of a console war.

Neo C.

Jtyettis said:
Leech you can nitpick all you want the data is there and the sale through in those territories is on the same track. Now Europe is another story just as I stated originally.
It shows that the brand does have a positive effect in Europe. It will be interesting to see if the brand still remains positive and sells consoles in the next generation.

AniHawk said:
Combining the PS3 and 360 doesn't make sense. You wouldn't combine the SNES and Genesis to form the mighty GeneSNES, would you?

No, you wouldn't, because its power is too great to contain. That's why they were made separately in the first place, under the veil of a console war.
:lol

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
dfyb said:
that's like saying it's one hell of an accomplishment for beating a champion runner when he tripped and broke his ankle.

Actually, it's more like saying it's one hell of an accomplishment for beating a champion runner who, for whatever reason, decided to cut off his left foot.

And yet, everyone still thought he'd win.

AniHawk said:

I wasn't combining them, I meant they would individually. Combined they already outsold the SNES.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I hope SONY uses this new killzone momentum and continues with a price drop in March or April as those middle Americans pick up their tax refunds. They need to do this in the US and Japan sooner where the currencies can support it.

To think PS3 will not outsell the orig xbox or even the cube is absurd. Its a $400 machine that getting only cheaper and better with time and hopefully soon will get cheaper to ship and manufacture due to low cost in energy (I hope).

Its disappointing that the cell didn't take off like expected. Toshiba will finally release flat panels that use it this fall and hopefully further reduce the cost of the chip but I wonder if it has a future:

http://www.eetasia.com/ART_8800561878_480200_NT_8d3dbccb.HTM

I am sure SONY engineers are working day and night figuring out ways to reduce the cost and size of the system which is absolutely necessary in the next two years. As sony said the PS3 will be here for the long haul but not because they love to have 10 year cycles but because it will be much cheaper for them to do iterations of the same hardware in a similar fashion they do with the PSP instead of spending billions on a new system. PS3 could easily be over 50Million by this time in the next two years

DarkMehm

Jtyettis said:

In both regions PS3 now sells a lot better than the GCN at the same time frame, so it will never look back. 2004 was when the Cube started with its under 100k months in the US and in Japan it was constantly under 10k.

Firestorm said:
Not bad. Pretty close to beating the GameCube's worldwide total isn't it?
gcubed said:
beyond it now
In real world, given that we're a month and a half from those figures? Probably. But 21.3 million is still a little shy.
PS3_WW

Jtyettis said:

Say what? The figures in the US and JPN are damn near spot on. However you want that slice be my guest. The only place it is tracking above is Europe and as far as actual sale through the last we've seen is 7 millon which ain't all that much.
Yeah, until Wii Europe was really Nintendo's weak spot. 7 million there puts it pretty close to NES/SNES, and way ahead of GCN's final total.
GCN_EU

AniHawk said:
Unlike the Gamecube, the PS3 has been steadily getting stronger as time's gone on.
Nitpicky here, but GCN's third year in the US was its best, so it did get stronger after launch. Though yeah, PS3 is doing better; GCN never did as well as PS3 did in 2008.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
7 million behind 360 which had a years headstart isn't bad. Consoles will haver a sales curve - sales will accelerate over time as prices drop and more games come out, so all things being equal its not a bad position to be in, and not nearly as bad as all the naysayers are constantly declaring (frankly all the doom-mongering on PS3 is getting old).

Having said that, I think Sony wouldn't expect 'all things being equal' and would have hoped to have demolished the 360.

PistolGrip said:
I am sure SONY engineers are working day and night figuring out ways to reduce the cost and size of the system which is absolutely necessary in the next two years. As sony said the PS3 will be here for the long haul but not because they love to have 10 year cycles but because it will be much cheaper for them to do iterations of the same hardware in a similar fashion they do with the PSP instead of spending billions on a new system. PS3 could easily be over 50Million by this time in the next two years

As I understand it, we should see 45 nanometer cell's in the PS3 with in the next few months(April or May). We should also expect 45 nanometer RSX go into Fab production in July or August(About the same time 65nm RSX was fab last year).

Although some have speculated that Sony will wait until they can fab Cell and RSX on a single die before introducing the PS3 slim. I personally don't think they'll wait that long. The PS3 is in desperate need of an image makeover. Depending on how desperate Sony is, they may rush out a PS3 Slim to retail by X-mas 2009.

Top Bottom