• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms Crash Bandicoot rights still with Activision

Taker34

Banned
Did people expect something to happen?

We had at least two well known insiders hinting at Crash being at E3 here on GAF - along with Crash in U4. Sonys involvement was hinted as well. It's is very obvious and the hints are everywhere and even Sony isn't that subtle.
imageatdia.jpeg

It is basically confirmed at this point and I'm willing to bet my avatar on it.

hohoXD123

Don't know why that rules out a Crash PS4 game developed by Sony. What's stopping them collaborating with Activision on a new Crash game?

Seik

Banned
With all the Crash related stuff I saw recently...I don't believe him.

But I give an A for the effort, well tried, Adam. :)

We had at least two well known insiders hinting at Crash being at E3 here on GAF - along with Crash in U4. Sonys involvement was hinted as well. It's is very obvious and the hints are everywhere and even Sony isn't that subtle.
imageatdia.jpeg

It is basically confirmed at this point and I'm willing to bet my avatar on it.

1081.gif

Do you know how rights registration works?

Im more against people putting things together out of thin air.

Look at the way they put it in. It's a level from the first game basically the same for the most part, which they have rights to.

Pretty sure universal didn't own the IP when they started putting Crash on PSN.

Do you see Activisions name in those PSN games? No? But here's the difference, you can't put a level of Crash 1 in All-stars, you would have to recreate him for the game, which means they would need ask permission.

Why do we keep going down this road which has no logic imo. Because Crash 1 on PSN does not have Activision in it, thus if that's the only way they put Crash in Uncharted 4, why would they need to put in Activision? Most likely originally, Naughty Dogg wanted to do something original with Crash, which is why it was not possible at the time to put Crash in Uncharted 4. It's the most logical reason.

You really don't know how IP ownership works do you? Just because the original games don't say Activision doesn't mean anything. Activision owns the IP and those games along with it. Sony still has publishing rights to those games but without Activisions explicit consent they can't do anything with them. Certainly not doing what they did in U4.

They had to get Activision's permission to use the artwork for Crash in their artbook because they own the IP. They would have to have their permission for any of the nods in U4 and if Activision does indeed still own the IP, they would have had to mention the trademark in the credits as well.

You really don't know how IP ownership works do you? Just because the original games don't say Activision doesn't mean anything. Activision owns the IP and those games along with it. Sony still has publishing rights to those games but without Activisions explicit consent they can't do anything with them. Certainly not doing what they did in U4.

They had to get Activision's permission to use the artwork for Crash in their artbook because they own the IP. They would have to have their permission for any of the nods in U4 and if Activision does indeed still own the IP, they would have had to mention the trademark in the credits.

Negative, you seem to not be aware of how it works. There may be a clause or similar that allows light editing without messing around with the games code. The Uncharted 4 demo would cross that line. I've seen this before with other things.

You are using the same illogical excuse other people are, if Acti is not in the credits, Sony ahs the IP, but if Sony has the IP, why is R,TM, and (C)< the still under Activision?

Why did they even sell it in the first place?

They didn't, Sony never owned Crash, Universal did and Sony helped publish and advertise the game. ND took SOnys offer for a buyout so they lost Crash (In Spyros case Insomnaic think they did what they could with him and were limited) once they left Universals grasp.

Whos property was it?

Someone answered in last few pages

Here's the general history from my understanding:

1. Universal Interactive were the original owners, they licensed Crash and Spyro to Sony to publish the games on PS1.

2. After the PS1, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Sony decided to stop working on both IPs. All publishing rights went back to Universal (who again always owned both IPs).

3. Vivendi around this time bought Universal Interactive, renamed them Vivendi Universal Interactive.

4. Unrelated to 3, both IPs go multiplat.

5. In 2006, Vivendi Universal is renamed Vivendi Games, they appoint their Sierra division to now publish both IPs and others.

6. In 2008, Vivendi Games merged with Activision forming Activision Blizzard (Vivendi Games owned Blizzard). Both IPs then get transferred to Activision Blizzard/Activision's name.

And that's basically still effective today.

Vinc

Yeah, as I posted in the easter egg thread when this whole thing began, I'm pretty sure Sony wholly owns the original trilogy and CTR.

However, I do think there's a good chance a new game is coming. I don't think Sony is oblivious to the excitement that would be generated by all this teasing. They're doing this on purpose.

I just don't know if I believe that they bought the IP back.

RK128

Negative, you seem to not be aware of how it works. There may be a clause or similar that allows light editing without messing around with the games code. The Uncharted 4 demo would cross that line. I've seen this before with other things.

You are using the same illogical excuse other people are, if Acti is not in the credits, Sony ahs the IP, but if Sony has the IP, why is R,TM, and (C)< the still under Activision?

Not sure how IP rights work but I could see the following be the case:
-Sony and Activision are working on a trading-selling the IP and this type of thing does not happen overnight.
-Activision wants this to be a surprise that they are having a deal with Sony, so they told Sony to not include them in the credits of the specific game.
-Sony bought the IP and like the second point, wants it to be a surprise.
-Activision was fine with Sony editing the coding a bit with the PS1 Crash titles, so they waved their hands and said 'Do what you want; no need to credit us here'.

Either way, SOMETHING is happening with the Crash IP and we should be hearing something about this hopefully next month.

Not even close. May be a clause? It's not just "light editing" or "messing with code" the game in U4 is rebuilt from the ground up and still uses the copyrighted logo which Sony wouldn't own.

The reason why the R, TM, (C) is still under Activision is the same reason the Gears IP was still under Epic a full month after it changed hands. If Sony bought the IP they wouldn't want anyone finding out by checking a trademark website. They'd make it into a big deal at a press event like E3.

Ploid 3.0

They wouldn't need to acquire the rights to make a new game, just license the ip.

Not that I'm too bothered either way.

But that would fall back into one of the reasons Sony insist on owning the IP of games they publish usually. If Crash gets super popular again after Sony had a new game made for it with Ratchet and Clank graphical quality, you better believe they would get burned again when Activision then take it and do their thing with it once more to try to get it as popular as Spyro was, which launched a money maker for Activision.

Maybe this factor would be part of the deal though. Sony would be able to finally give fans what they thought they wanted (maybe it'll be Crash ND collection remaster though), and Activision can try to use that momentum to try to revive Crash into a profitable IP. The old Spiderman Civil War, Talladega Nights web swing Shake and Bake.

cheesekao

You just said no shit to something you just previously wrote as fact. WTF?
Activision's logo isn't in Crash 1-3 because Universal owned the IP at that time and Sony had the publishing rights and PS1 and PS1 can't be altered.

If Crash 1-3 were to have some kind of remaster/remake/modern/etc. version then Activision would have to be credited if they own the IP. Just because you have publishing rights to something doesn't mean you can skimp out on crediting the IP owner.

What are you talking about? Have you been paying attention the last couple of months?

Yes, I have and it doesn't mean anything. Coincidences happen.

I don't see it moving to Sony or any licensing deal. Activision has no reason to make a new game.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member

Microsoft announced in jan they own the gears ip and trademarks.

The rights didnt show in their hands until end of feb.

That could be why ur still seeing acti as owners. Plus if they own the ip now they could be holding the sell over etc to keep it hidden but for us here we know the hints etc.

Yeah, as I posted in the easter egg thread when this whole thing began, I'm pretty sure Sony wholly owns the original trilogy and CTR.

However, I do think there's a good chance a new game is coming. I don't think Sony is oblivious to the excitement that would be generated by all this teasing. They're doing this on purpose.

I just don't know if I believe that they bought the IP back.

We would see it if they actually brought it. Tje bigger question is why would people think Activision would give away free money?

-Sony and Activision are working on a trading-selling the IP and this type of thing does not happen overnight.
-Activision wants this to be a surprise that they are having a deal with Sony, so they told Sony to not include them in the credits of the specific game.
-Activision was fine with Sony editing the coding a bit with the PS1 Crash titles, so they waved their hands and said 'Do what you want; no need to credit us here'.

Either way, SOMETHING is happening with the Crash IP and we should be hearing something about this hopefully next month.

-Unlikely, they would have had to do it in advance.
-WHy would sony only partner with one platform?
-Unlikely
-This is more likely.

Not even close. May be a clause? It's not just "light editing" or "messing with code" the game in U4 is rebuilt from the ground up and still uses the copyrighted logo which Sony wouldn't own.

The reason why the R, TM, (C) is still under Activision is the same reason the Gears IP was still under Epic a full month after it changed hands. If Sony bought the IP they wouldn't want anyone finding out by checking a trademark website. They'd make it into a big deal at a press event like E3.

You have proof there is no original code involved?

Your Gears example doesn't work, the you could go to the (C) and (R) and see they already changed, the trademarks were the ones that were slow and even then the TM still had "pending changes" on it depending on which site you went to.

Not only that you expect people to believe that Activision sold the Ip to sony within the last month?

3 years in a row when will you guys learn?

"A game is different to an art book"

And improper use of intellectual property is still improper use of intellectual property. They can't just sneak something like that into one of the biggest games of the year.

Microsoft announced in jan they own the gears ip and trademarks.

The rights didnt show in their hands until end of feb.

That could be why ur still seeing acti as owners. Plus if they own the ip now they could be holding the sell over etc to keep it hidden but for us here we know the hints etc.

See above.

Activision's logo isn't in Crash 1-3 because Universal owned the IP at that time and Sony had the publishing rights and PS1 and PS1 can't be altered.

If Crash 1-3 were to have some kind of remaster/remake/modern/etc. version then Activision would have to be credited if they own the IP. Just because you have publishing rights to something doesn't mean you can skimp out on crediting the IP owner.

Universal did not own the IP when Sony started exploring selling the crash games through the digital marketplace. They would have had to make a deal.

What are you talking about? Have you been paying attention the last couple of months?

I remember seeing a post like this a year ago, and the year before that, across the internet.

Exactly what I came to post. It's bullshit, they're just trying to keep the surprise for E3. With all the rumours, easter eggs in SCE productions (!!!) and stuff, I'm 99% sure we'll see Crash at E3.
I saw this the last couple years as well.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
"A game is different to an art book"

And improper use of intellectual property is still improper use of intellectual property. They can't just sneak something like that into one of the biggest games of the year.

You're right.

Sony wouldn't want to admit to something being off there before UC4 is even released anyways though.

SNURB

Yes, I have and it doesn't mean anything. Coincidences happen.

I don't see it moving to Sony or any licensing deal. Activision has no reason to make a new game.

Why would there be "no reason"? The games are gangbusters on PSN and there's a strong demand for a new game. There's money to be made with that name alone.

All of this cant be a "coincidence." You don't expect a guy walk on stage with a Crash shirt and not even acknowledge it.

L.O.R.D

BTW guys, you know that Naughty Dog didn't own the game in the first place? ( well duh )

the game went from sony and Universal Interactive Studios then konami and Vivendi then to Sierra then Activision

there is big possibility that Activision and Sony are working together to "Publish" the game.
the developer could be anyone.

Vena

Its difficult to hide IP transactions (on top of the fact that it rarely ever happens because its a bad investment for the seller, they are better of licensing), as this is a selling of a potentially major investment or property. Shareholders for a publicly traded company would need to be notified of such a transaction or plan for such. You can't just not tell your investors that you are selling major company properties to another major company.

It may well be licensed, though, that doesn't need full disclosure or any for that matter, unless Activision expected strong profits from it at which point they'd have needed to declare it to investors, or put it on their road map.

cheesekao

Universal did not own the IP when Sony started exploring selling the crash games through the digital marketplace. They would have had to make a deal.
The point is Sony has to credit Activision even if they have the publishing rights to the first three games if they use the Crash IP in any shape or form in the current era. Disagree all you want. This isn't even up for debate.

PSqueak

Banned
3ds-skylanders-superchargers-racing-st-12842462_l.jpg

Seems crazy, right?

Crash is an IP that is collecting dust for Activision. If they can make money by partnering with Sony to help reboot the franchise, then they would.

Nintendo needs more team ups like this, hopeful for some Disney infinity team up to tie in with Wreck-it Ralph 2

Top Bottom