• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS2 emulation coming to PS4

swit

One reason I think it will be digital copies from PSN only is that they can obviously do the standard QA and do things like adding trophies, but also they could to a certain extent minimize the risk of exploits that may be more possible with open emulation of discs.

From a business perspective disc based emulation is probably creating extra work, additional risk and providing no additional (direct) revenue.
Sony would be insane not to properly sandbox the emulator. No additional risk involved. If they won't allow DVD playback than you can be sure that hackers will use it as an excuse to hack the console and allow it.

thatJohann

They won't make you pay twice like Nintendo does at least. I am pretty confident that everything will be cross-buy.

It's just people getting their hopes up.
Though I expect existing PS2/1 classic already on the store will be free if you already own them.

It will be cross-buy if you bought the digital version on the PS Sotre, but they won't allow you to just put in your PSX or PS2 disc and get free access to the digital emulated copy. It wouldn't make sense from a business perspective. The goal is to make money and if they start releasing batches of Playstation Classics in waves on the PS Store, you know people will buy them. Profit.

crinale

If they straight up play PS2 games then disk based emulation may be possible, but since it does re-mastering for you I think it's unlikely. I'm okay with PS2 classic compatibility only though.

Streaming PS1/2 games is a waste of bandwidth. Over a few hours of streaming you would have vastly exceeded the filesize of the original game.

PS1 and PS2 games will be done locally, at least on PS4.

Oh I know. But they need a reason to make PlayStation Now relevant. I am all for the disc-based emulation. Call it playing a poor devil's advocate.

Sohaim

any chance we might see Valkyrie Profile 2? i need to play that game again, and my PS2 died years ago ;/, i will just keep dreaming..

It will be cross-buy if you bought the digital version on the PS Sotre, but they won't allow you to just put in your PSX or PS2 disc and get free access to the digital emulated copy. It wouldn't make sense from a business perspective. The goal is to make money and if they start releasing batches of Playstation Classics in waves on the PS Store, you know people will buy them. Profit.

You're right on that, but they could have something like pay 19,99 for this PS1/2 emulator which let's you play physical discs. But I guess there won't be something like that.

Edit: Or they implement disc support just for the positive PR they would get.

Shin-Ra

Oh I know. But they need a reason to make PlayStation Now relevant. I am all for the disc-based emulation. Call it playing a poor devil's advocate.
PS Now is relevant to reaching the maximum number of people because you don't need a powerful local-machine to stream video.

Local emulation is relevant to enthusiasts for the image quality and latency advantages.

Guymelef

Remember the patent for this:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2013/0073551.html

A method and apparatus for adding trophy support games that do not have trophies without modifying the original game. The method and apparatus are used to detect particular disk access, use the detected disk access as potential trophy triggers in games, and recognize the triggers while a game is played. Trophies are awarded based on the triggers, and the awarded trophies are stored.

It talks about "disk", never "disc".

thatJohann

You're right on that, but they could have something like pay 19,99 for this PS1/2 emulator which let's you play physical discs. But I guess there won't be something like that.

Edit: Or they implement disc support just for the positive PR they would get.

Don't think like a gamer, think like a Sony stakeholder. To get the budget approved to develop this emulation functionality, they had to back it up with a business plan that shows Sony making a clear profit. So, get your wallets ready.

They should allow discs to be used and if they want to make a few bucks that way just charge a small fee when you first put in the ps2 disc or something.

I really don't like the idea or re-buying stuff but maybe they can roll BC into PS+ somehow. maybe require you to have a sub to take advantage of the feature. it's not totally free but it also not as off putting as the PSnow pricing model.

Don't think like a gamer, think like a Sony stakeholder. To get the budget approved to develop this emulation functionality, they had to back it up with a business plan that shows Sony making a clear profit. So, get your wallets ready.

I am okay with that. I just want a big library.

I'll gladly pay 10-15 bucks for PS2 games and also there were pretty good sales on classics.

FranXico

I really don't like the idea or re-buying stuff but maybe they can roll BC into PS+ somehow. maybe require you to have a sub to take advantage of the feature. it's not totally free but it also not as off putting as the PSnow pricing model.

What if they tied PS2 emulation from disc to PS+? Would you find that acceptable?

(I personally wouldn't).

I would personally make it so that if you have the discs, you can play PS1 and PS2 games through emulation. If you buy them digitally, you get the upscaling to 1080p and trophies. If you've already bought the games, just redownload them as there aren't patch support for the classics or you can have an upgrade feature where you can pay a small fee to get the updated edition.

They will gain a lot of goodwill asset through this. But of course, that's like a fans dream. They will never do all of that when they can charge you for those same games again. Just the sad reality of this industry. Don't see them pulling a Microsoft this past E3.

Best wishes.

Tagyhag

Disc based emulation would be soooo cool but understandably it probably won't be happening.

Still, PS2 classics on the PS4 isn't a bad thing, and it'd be neat if they gave you an additional PS2 game with your PS+ games for the month to help people stop whining about it.

im remembering an article a while ago that quoted a Sony exec and he talked about only implementing things on the console that can make them money. I think it was in regards to customer wallpapers or something similar. this seems like a good reason why we don't have that simple feature yet.

of course we want disc based BC but it doesn't rule out selling those games on the storefront either.

Yudoken

Nice. Let's hope we can get disc based emulation as well.

vNcNBQf.gif

I would bet against it

Danlord

That means the HDD. The system is looking for when certain values are assigned to a variable.
i. e. When level = 10, release bronze trophy 10

It won't be looking at the HDD, it would be looking at the game's memory, which has no bearings whether it's reading the game from a HDD or a DVD.

VNZ

The worst part is that in Europe we'll get the PAL versions emulated. The resulting frame skipping when run at 1080p60 will render all games (except the rare ones with a PAL60 option) unplayable. Fool me twice, etc...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
People keep making jokes about Sony making you pay for games you own, but if you already own the classics, you most likely will be able to get them for free...

Vashetti

Banned
ps3 dont have disc emulation
why do you think ps4 will

ALL PS3s support PS1 CDs
Early PS3s support PS2 DVDs
ALL hacked PS3s support PS2 DVDs - Sony continued to improve the PS3's PS2 emulator through firmware updates, those PS2 classics on the store are nothing more than dumped .isos. Hack your PS3 and it can play PS2 games. The only reason Sony locks the emulator away is because they want to sell you Classics on the store and there isn't 100% compatibility with all games.

Your PS3 has PS2 parts.

See above.

" it would be looking at the game's memory,"

The games memory? The RAM you mean? Or have you gone back to cartridges?

The HDD is used as virtual memory.

I would be perfectly happy if this just meant that the PS2 digital releases transfer over to PS4. That would mean God Hand, SMT Nocturne, Odin Sphere, and a whole bunch of other games immediately available for me.

Sony adding disc-based emulation would just be a cherry on top.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
ALL hacked PS3s support PS2 DVDs - Sony continued to improve the PS3's PS2 emulator through firmware updates, those PS2 classics on the store are nothing more than dumped .isos. Hack your PS3 and it can play PS2 games. The only reason Sony locks the emulator away is because they want to sell you Classics on the store and there isn't 100% compatibility with all games.

WHAT?! I really need to look into this, especially if PS4 doesn't support discs (and I know it's gonna happen).

EDIT: Looks like there's nothing I can do if my PS3 is up-to-date. Meh.

So? Its still a PS3 that has disc BC. That person was replying to someone who was saying the PS3 didn't have it at all when it did. And later models didn't have the PS2 parts and still did PS2 disc BC.

What models are you referring to ? I only know that the fat 60GB PS3 had disc BC.

Top Bottom