• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS2 emulation coming to PS4

Goliath

I used to be all about Backwards compatibility. It makes it easier when plugging in systems to your TV.

However now I have stopped caring and praying for BC. I just buy and keep the system I want to play. Much better then hoping and praying for companies to accommodate my desires.

I used to be all about Backwards compatibility. It makes it easier when plugging in systems to your TV.

However now I have stopped caring and praying for BC. I just buy and keep the system I want to play. Much better then hoping and praying for companies to accommodate my desires.
Clearly Sony disagrees with you though.

Silvard

What models are you referring to ? I only know that the fat 60GB PS3 had disc BC.
There is a subset of fat models (mostly European ones) that didn't have hardware BC, just software BC. They still had disc support regardless, even though they had less compatibility than launch ones.

If this runs really well, then PCSX2 is going to have real competition in terms of casual emulation.

That said, I'm not holding out much hope for stuff like higher rez rendering, since that would probably kill the PS4's anemic processor.

ar4757

Sega, now's your chance. Put up the whole Yakuza series! Since Yakuza 1 is English dubbed you'd reel in more people

I wish

There is a subset of fat models (mostly European ones) that didn't have hardware BC, just software BC. They still had disc support regardless, even though they had less compatibility than launch ones.

Oh okay, thought he was talking about the PS3 slim versions.

androvsky

It wasn't pure software, those models still had the PS2 graphics chip. All models have a pure software emulator for PS Classics though, and there's even an abandoned pure software emulator that works with discs that Sony left in the firmware, but the compatibility is terrible.

squall211

I don't really care much for BC either but for different reasons. I have all my PS2 games burned to my PC, and they all run very good using PCSX2. That said, this should certainly be a cool feature for PS4 owners.

RedSwirl

Disc BC probably depends on how well the emulator works for the vast majority of PS2 games. If Sony has actually gotten it to a point where it can acceptably run most or almost all PS2 games there's little reason not to do it. And I'm pretty certain they'll grandfather in PSN classics purchases. PS1 games are already cross-buy between PS3 and Vita.

It's not like you can find used PS2 games at any Gamestop these days. And thus far when releasing PSN classics Sony has been focusing a lot on games with ridiculous scalper prices on eBay. Allowing discs probably hasn't heavily affected PSN classics right now. FF7 is one of the best selling PSN games despite the fact that you can just run your old disc on the same PS3.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for disc based. If they are really adding stuff like trophies and having to resubmit games for rating, they are likely going to be more selective and limited in what they can put out (don't expect licensed stuff) and how they will present these titles.

Aurizen

Emulation essentially requires creating a virtual machine -- in this case, the ps3 with it's rather unique cell architecture -- and then, once you have that up and running, having it be able to run a game on top of that with flawless, or nearly flawless, precision. Depending on various factors, it generally requires a very significant power gap in order for one machine to emu another, and in the case of vastly differing architecture there can be other difficulties.

So how can the Xbox one emulate the Xbox360?

Guymelef

Launch EU models and the second US models both did software PS2 emulation for PS2 discs.

Not only software, was a hybrid method.
Launch Japan and US had Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer.
Launch EU only Graphics Synthesizer, EE was emulated by CELL.

Can't wait to rent PS2 games on NOW :p

But yeah this is pretty cool. Will definitely enjoy games like Dark Cloud 2 again on
My big screen

autoduelist

0% chance of them allowing disc based games. Sony loves milking people to re-buy old games they already own. It's very profitable business.

I don't really get this -- first, it makes sense to offer digital classics for those that want them, so having classics for sale is not evidence they 'milk' us. Second, they have so far showed incredible support of cross buy -- ps1 classics work across multiple devices, games like Journey and many more that received actual updates were even made cross buy. Early PS3s were BC, and I think all play PS1 discs.

Honestly, there's no real evidence out there that Sony 'loves milking us' to re-buy games. There is actually evidence to the contrary.

Can people who claim "nobody cares" about BC now be quiet for once?

Clearly Sony and Microsoft disagree.

That's never been the argument. Everybody knows some people care. What is at the center of debate is how much it's worth to include in a system at launch in regards to impact on price tag.

Danlord

Can't wait to rent PS2 games on NOW :p

But yeah this is pretty cool. Will definitely enjoy games like Dark Cloud 2 again on
My big screen

Since PlayStation Now's servers are running off PS3 hardware, they could quite have easily added PS2 games to Now's service but haven't in this case. Since we know that the PS4 is now confirmed as having PS2 emulation software from Sony, this will be emulation on the actual console, not streamed from Sony's servers.

CoG

It doesn't. The original binary is run through a pre-processor that converts the PPC instructions to x64. The results are packaged into a new binary and the game runs natively in a virtual 360 environment on the Xbox One.

Silvard

It wasn't pure software, those models still had the PS2 graphics chip. All models have a pure software emulator for PS Classics though, and there's even an abandoned pure software emulator that works with discs that Sony left in the firmware, but the compatibility is terrible.

Yeah, just simplifying. Only taking into account official disc support though, since that seems to be the concern du jour. With PS1 emulation with disc support there's precedent for it.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I know chances for PS2 disc support are slim, but I hope they at least keep PS1 disc support... It's been there in every single Playstation console (except the portables of course).

Grunkle

Banned
I know chances for PS2 disc support are slim, but I hope they at least keep PS1 disc support... It's been there in every single Playstation console (except the portables of course).

Actually it's there, the thing is they don't have CD ROM drives to play the discs. Hackers proved it by running isos of ripped PS1 games. At least on PSP, but I think it would be the same on Vita if it ever gets hacked.

autoduelist

Imagine you are a native English speaker and need to read two different books, one in, say, French [or Spanish, etc] and one in, say, traditional Chinese [or Arabic/etc].

Now, let's say as you read these books, you're essentially translating them as you go into English -- in a broad manner of speaking, you're 'emulating' them.

French is fairly easy to translate. The languages are clearly closely related. It certainly requires work, but it's essentially a straight translation.
Chinese is not. It's different symbols, it's different structure. It is far more complex.

I mean, if you were doing a text translation from English to Chinese, Arabic, etc. you'd even need a different keyboard.

While not a perfect analogy by any means, that's how different architectures can theoretically be. Some may share key similarities that make emulation relatively easy... and others may be effectively alien. How many processes can be done at once may be wildly different, how it's all threaded together... it can be hard to emu some things.

I must say, I am a bit surprised that Sony confirmed it like this.

I don't think they anticipated eurogamer going in-depth on the games enough to figure out that some form of emulation was being used. I'm more surprised that Sony answered WIRED in the first place, two weeks before PSexperience, where they'll probably announce this.

one possibility is that the feature is quite a ways off and wont be showing it in December.

Silvard

Can people who claim "nobody cares" about BC now be quiet for once?

Clearly Sony and Microsoft disagree.

So they should shut up because of that? Clearly neither Sony or Microsoft have ever ever misread what people want, right?

Even though I disagree that nobody cares about BC (I care, for one), this appeal to authority is poor argument.

Krakn3Dfx

If I can pop in my copy of Haunting Ground and play it on my PS4 instead of my launch PS3, this will be pretty awesome.

Otherwise, if it's about making me rebuy a handful of games digitally that I already own physical copies of, it's about as useful as PS Now is to me personally.

Actually it's there, the thing is they don't have CD ROM drives to play the discs. Hackers proved it by running isos of ripped PS1 games. At least on PSP, but I think it would be the same on Vita if it ever gets hacked.

That's because both PSP and PSV have PS1 emulators as part of the system. They sell PS1 games on PSN

Grunkle

Banned
I don't think they anticipated eurogamer going in-depth on the games enough to figure out that some form of emulation was being used. I more surprised that Sony answered WIRED in the first place, two weeks before PSexperience, where they'll probably announce this.

I honestly don't get why people get worked up about leaks of stuff like this. Do they really think people will lose interest in a feature if it is not a "surprise" or something? Has anyone ever said, "oh I don't want that now, because it wasn't announced properly."

Seriously, I don't care when I hear about something. If I want it, I just want to know when it will be available.

That's because both PSP and PSV have PS1 emulators as part of the system. They sell PS1 games on PSN

Yes, I know. That was my point. Discs would work with the emulators, if they had access to cd drives.

Aurizen

It doesn't. The original binary is run through a pre-processor that converts the PPC instructions to x64. The results are packaged into a new binary and the game runs natively in a virtual 360 environment on the Xbox One.

So can't sony do that for the PS3 to PS4?

kaydigi

anthology-box.jpg

I need this.

Andrefpvs

I'm surprised so many people don't know that every PS3 is compatible with PS1 discs.

Heck, you can even put the disc in your PS3, and remote play it to your PSP or PS Vita.

Rodolink

Thats what I don't like about Sony, they use a safe strategy most of the time just waiting how the market behaves and if looks good then almost copy paste that, ie. psmove against wii, morpheus against oculus, backward comp. against the Xone back. comp. They innovate here and there too (sixaxis, DS4 touch, share btn) there's no need to follow tendencies.

Suzzopher

Thats what I don't like about Sony, they use a safe strategy most of the time just waiting how the market behaves and if looks good then almost copy paste that, ie. psmove against wii, morpheus against oculus, backward comp. against the Xone back. comp. They innovate here and there too (sixaxis, DS4 touch, share btn) there's no need to follow tendencies.

The PS2 BC thing has been in development long before the Xbox BC thing was announced.

Top Bottom