• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY needs to change the controller for the PS4

Sony's in a pickle. There's enough people that like it the way it is and don't like it the way it is on both sides. Personally I like it the way it is, and definitely do not want to see the stick leave it's symmetric location. A better (the vita's) D-Pad and triggers that don't make your fingers slip off of it would be nice, but I've fixed the shoulders with those hella cheap snap-on buttons (and honestly they're only good for racing games where you have to hold the button for extended periods of time, otherwise in a game like Dark Souls or Killzone, I have no problems with the triggers). Still, that add-on shouldn't have even had a need to exist in the first place.

Honestly I still want to hold the batarang version in my hands to feel how comfortable or uncomfortable it is. I don't think I'd be opposed to more grip.

They could always make a boomerang and keep the PS3's as a compatible controller. Burnout 3 was the first multiplayer PS2 game I remember which didn't accept a PSone controller.

It's perfect the way it is.

Everyone who feels that way, just using the fucking DualShock 3 that you have from your PS3 on the PS4. The PS4 will support bluetooth controllers so the DualShock 3 will work perfectly fine with it. And they're not going to stop selling DualShock 3's at stores once the PS4 goes on sale.

For the rest of us who prefer the contours of the 360 controller, I really hope Sony releases something akin to the 360 controller (or hell even the Ouya controller design is a giant improvement) alongside the PS4.

Bgamer90

Banned
Seriously, though -- any gamer who can't get comfortable with a DualShock 3 isn't really a gamer. Fifteen years is way more than enough time to acclimate to a controller design.

lol really?

Anyways, the PS2 controller was my favorite until the 360 came out.

360 controller is the best IMO. All it needs is a better d-pad and it will be perfect.

I now feel that the dualshock is too light; I also hate the shoulder buttons as well as the analog stick placement.

-Amon-

The DS is just too small, the analog sticks are loose, and playing FPS games on it is just impossible for me. It works well for 2d games but more and more developers are staring to use dual analogs for all their games and they fell out of place. The 360 controller feels much better in every aspect, especially the one with the slide out Dpad.

Don't think so, not at all.

For me they could make the sticks better quality and put triggers on L2 / R2.

surly

Banned
The DS is a horrible design. I pick it up and my thumbs fall naturally on the D-pad and buttons. Tacking on analogue sticks as if they're an afterthought was OK back in the days of the Dual Analogue, but not in 2012. And convex tops? Fuck me, whose idea was that? Even their older controllers got that right. The "triggers" are shit, which is probably why those Real Triggers sell so well. Too many people are confusing familiarity for superiority in this thread IMO.

The new Wii-U pad (the "Pro controller"?) looks perfect for games where the primary control scheme is both analogue sticks. The 360 pad is perfect for games where you use the left stick and face buttons. You always have to make a compromise with the controls on the right-hand side of a controller, but the left stick should be placed as the primary input as hardly any games use the D-pad for that these days.

Irobot82

Instead of a right thumb stick, make it a trackball. That was you can get close to the speed and accuracy of a mouse and FPS's will be viable on the console. If not replace it, at least make the sticks pop out and able to be replaced with a trackball.

I think there is room in the back to add two more shoulder buttons for a total of six. They would lye naturally on your middle fingers from the standard DS3 grip but the back would protrude some more to compensate. What do you guys think.

Side view of DS3:
v7Zt2.png

The two buttons would be closer to the middle of the controller not at the sides like the top ones.
Ah yes, I had a Thrustmaster PC gamepad like this. It was pretty good.

fsdp480.jpg

1339985-firestorm_super.jpg

Instead of a right thumb stick, make it a trackball. That was you can get close to the speed and accuracy of a mouse and FPS's will be viable on the console. If not replace it, at least make the sticks pop out and able to be replaced with a trackball.

Can't see that happening. A large capacitive surface maybe.

Lol these threads.

Everyone has preferences, there is no perfect controller.

Exactly. This is why options are good.

Those who like the DualShock 3 can stick with it. The PS4 will support bluetooth controllers.

Now, it's time for Sony to build a controller for the many of us who prefer something that feels more ergonamic and substantial akin to the Xbox 360's controller, or the Ouya's controller.

Can't see that happening. A large capacitive surface maybe.
Surely you are kidding. A trackball is far more likely than a capacitive surface. Replacing a proven joystick with the same shit that makes touchscreen gaming (virtual sticks for traditional games) terrible? Not a chance. A trackball has been done before, and works pretty well. It's too much of a risk though.

jett

D-Member
Only thing I don't like about the DS3 are the analog triggers, which are too mushy and just feel like crap. The overall shape could be a bit more ergonomic but I do like the button placement as it is.

Surely you are kidding. A trackball is far more likely than a capacitive surface. Replacing a proven joystick with the same shit that makes touchscreen gaming (virtual sticks for traditional games) terrible? Not a chance. A trackball has been done before, and works pretty well. It's too much of a risk though.

Doesn't need much explanation. Trackball would work terrible as a virtual stick, trackpads are better than nothing and a lot less complicated than a trackball, whilst able to support both direct and additive movement controls. Having a texture on the pad rather than a smooth surface would help too.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I always find these threads hilarious, as the Dual Shock is an abomination of a controller... the left analog stick placement is hideous. My thumb doesn't work that way, so even though in some ways the 360 pad is inferior (D-Pad) it's size and basic placement of sticks makes it the superior controller of choice.

I think so many praise the DS because it's what they are used too, but it's a crap controller.

This thread. It's so random.

For some odd reason I had a dream about the PS4 Controller last night, I was in Best Buy trying to steal a few of them. They all looked like fatter black Wiimotes (more buttons) though. Maybe I'm on to somethinggg!

Apath

I don't get how anyone could think the dualshock is perfect. The design is straight out of fucking 1995. They need to make the overall shape more ergonomic, make the sticks concave, and make the triggers curved. Then it would be pretty damn hard to top.

Irobot82

Doesn't need much explanation. Trackball would work terrible as a virtual stick, trackpads are better than nothing and a lot less complicated than a trackball, whilst able to support both direct and additive movement controls.

Trackball would be cake, a simple laser and a ball, done and done. I used to game with a trackball and it would work much better than touch.

jett

D-Member
I always find these threads hilarious, as the Dual Shock is an abomination of a controller... the left analog stick placement is hideous. My thumb doesn't work that way, so even though in some ways the 360 pad is inferior (D-Pad) it's size and basic placement of sticks makes it the superior controller of choice.

I think so many praise the DS because it's what they are used too, but it's a crap controller.

How does your right thumb manage then, especially when it's the right analog stick the one that requires higher precision?

Those who like the DualShock 3 can stick with it. The PS4 will support bluetooth controllers.

Now, it's time for Sony to build a controller for the many of us who prefer something that feels more ergonamic and substantial akin to the Xbox 360's controller, or the Ouya's controller.

We don't know if the millions buying it would care for a new controller and leaving the old design behind.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
How does your right thumb manage then, especially when it's the right analog stick the one that requires higher precision?

Meaning on the left stick.. the DS placement of analog means my thumb moves up and down, where it's much more natural when the analog is placed where the left analog is on the 360. Feels so much better man.. so much better.

Right stick on the DS is okay.. but the spacing is still rough... it's a poor design for 2012.

Doesn't need much explanation. Trackball would work terrible as a virtual stick, trackpads are better than nothing and a lot less complicated than a trackball, whilst able to support both direct and additive movement controls. Having a texture on the pad rather than a smooth surface would help too.
Nope, you're still suggesting that it would be more likely for them to use touch as a right stick replacement, instead of a tactile positional device.

As long as the PS4 has non shitty triggers and asymmetrical analog placement I'll be happy.

Otherwise I'll continue to avoid playing shooters on it as much as possible like I do with the PS3.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
my only problem with the design has always been R2/L2 placement. I feel it's a bit uncomfortable. I prefer the triggers in the 360.

Trackball would be cake, a simple laser and a ball, done and done. I used to game with a trackball and it would work much better than touch.

I was thinking more in terms of housing but I guess it's no bigger than an analogue stick inside so ignore that point. Flexibility of touch over a trackball would be nice though.

Nope, you're still suggesting that it would be more likely for them to use touch as a right stick replacement, instead of a tactile positional device.

Can you imagine them using a trackball instead of a left stick? exactly. Trackball would reduce it to a single type of input.

Most people seem to agree that atleast as far as shooters are concerned, the Xbox 360 controller is superior.

Sony, follow the money. This generation, all the biggest blockbusters not made by Nintendo have been shooters. And shooter fans avoid buying them on the PS3 in part because the 360 has a better controller for shooters.

If you want to sell more games, you're going to have to offer shooter fans a first party alternate controller closer to the 360's controller on a number of fronts (triggers, tightness of the analog sticks, placement, comfort, weight) etc.

i agree with the OP. sony seems to be stuck in the past when it comes to these things. same controller, alien architecture, no trophies for every game and not investing more R&D into their online network. sony had no idea how popular online gaming would be this gen and it shows.

the controller was ok in the past when i was like 13. now, it's just too small and the stick placement is an adaptation to an 18 year old controller.

patsu

Exactly.
I would never want Sony to change the shape of its console's controller nor the button layout or sticks position. At most change the triggers, but other than that, it's perfect the way it is.

The Vita dpad buttons feel better and "more precise". It should also consider using the same mechanism.

I dont hate it but the 360 pad is by far better except for the digital pad. I dont care much if they change it much or not but the one thing they MUST change is having proper triggers, the SUCK for racing games.
Thats why i use my 360 pad in the Ps3 too.

Can you imagine them using a trackball instead of a left stick? exactly. Trackball would reduce it to a single type of input.
I thought we were talking about the right stick? Yes, yes we were. Can you imagine them using a touch surface instead of a right stick? No. Can I imagine them using a trackball instead of a right stick? No. But the touch surface is much less likely, because touch is shit. Which was my original point.

I thought we were talking about the right stick? Yes, yes we were. Can you imagine them using a touch surface instead of a right stick? No. Can I imagine them using a trackball instead of a right stick? No. But the touch surface is much less likely, because touch is shit. Which was my original point.

Well I disagree.

sent from my laptop touch pad.

eunao

Maybe I'm in the minority but i really dislike the 360 controller, the way the controller is shaped forces my fingers into a awkward position because they don't fit in between the two "handles" and it's especially worse if I'm using a wireless one. The DS on the other hand is perfect for my largeish fingers and yes I agree with most of the people that said it needs slightly better trtiggers and analog sticks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I'd be fine with a controller shaped more like the 360 pad as long as most of the buttons and d-pad remained the same as they are.

I don't think Sony will ever use that form factor, though, as the shape of a controller becomes a strong brand identifier, especially after 3 generations of hardware. When you see some kid using a PS3 controller in a movie or on TV (or even in real life), they don't want you to mistake it for a 360 controller. So if Sony changes the controller, it won't just be a copy of the 360 pad.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The DS3 is pretty close to perfect as is. The only modifications I would add would be tighter sticks and proper triggers/bumpers on the back.

Yep.. that about does it. With those mods it would be absolute perfection to me.

Well I disagree.

sent from my laptop touch pad.
Heh :) I've got nothing against touchpads for laptops, the Mac ones in particular are great. But as a right stick replacement? Noo chance. At least a trackball is still a physical device, and was pretty well received when it was tried before.

Top Bottom