• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Our 1st party lineup a little sparse this year"; emphasis on 3rd party support

TraBuch

Banned
I hope their E3 presser isn't filled with third party multiplat games. I used to complain about Microsoft's conferences because of that.

On 360 they started very well particularly as they locked down a lot of third party content for that year, the end of 2006 (Gears) and the entirety of 2007 for instance (from Lost Planet's western launch in January to Mass Effect in November) was huge, then after management changes MS took their foot off the gas and focused on Kinect.

I don't think PS4 (or Xbox One) has hit that sort of line-up yet

First-party-wise, Nintendo is where it's at in terms of having 'that sort of line-up'

But that alone doesn't make up for not having 3rd-party support.

Omni

So presumably a lot more shitty third party exclusive content this year, it seems. 'cause screw everyone else.

Yay...

RoKKeR

At least they're being honest.

Can't wait to miss out on more content in 3rd party games that they grab. /salt (please stop publishers)

The UC4 delay hurts but I don't really mind as long as the Japanese games I want still make the end of the year. Sony has gotten to the point for me where the first party stuff is not as important as all the currently announced third party exclusives.

A Sony exec said that? Straight out of the House's mouth?! Wow, that's disarmingly honest for someone in his position.

Persona 5 and No Man's Sky will do me, but even then, I could see those two getting delayed.

VanWinkle

It's really a shame how the last two years have turned out. I invested in the PS4 because of the amazing first-party lineup of the PS3. I feel like that hasn't paid off at all in terms of first-party support. I just don't know what happened. They have/had so many internal studios, but there's been very little released, and what's there is oftentimes pretty average, besides Driveclub (which started out average).

Manus

Man I want to buy a PS4, but without first party games it's not worth it since I have a PC. Come on Sony.

Timed DLC content doesn't make up for a lack of exclusives.
In the context of an investor meeting, I don't think the details of how 3rd party support operates are that important. This is about marketing deals in the broadest sense.

Looking at how current gen systems are performing, I'm not sure first party exclusives are that big of a deal to investors anyway.

Jomjom

Banned
I don't know, they gave us the 1886 and Bloodborne, people just always like to look at what is next. I expect at least one big first party holiday title, surely?

Do you consider UC HD Collection a "big first party holiday title". If so then yay!

Nope they should work as they are we dont need anymore rushed games.

I think the management at the studios is lacking. Don't commit to a launch window if you aren't certain you'll hit it. Driveclub was a total mess.

I don't think games are being rushed. I think developers are being too ambitious with timing.

Now that Uncharted has been delayed, Naughty Dog will struggle to get the franchise back to being a Xmas window game. Sony need reliable Xmas window franchises. Uncharted was that.

RoKKeR

It's really a shame how the last two years have turned out. I invested in the PS4 because of the amazing first-party lineup of the PS3. I feel like that hasn't paid off at all in terms of first-party support. I just don't know what happened. They have/had so many internal studios, but there's been very little released, and what's there is oftentimes pretty average, besides Driveclub (which started out average).

To be fair, it took the PS3 a few years until it's great first party content really started rolling out.

These things... they take time.

A Sony exec said that? Straight out of the House's mouth?! Wow, that's disarmingly honest for someone in his position.

Persona 6 and No Man's Sky will do me, but even then, I could see those two getting delayed.

Well, he's literally the one at the top after all. No need to waggle the tongue to 'toe the pristine company image'

Kuro

Delaystation 4 :( MgsV should keep me busy at least and Bloodborne was amazing but man is this disappointing.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Time to triangle my arse.

Sony and its execs seemed to make a right hodge podge of its internal studios at the start of this generation. Cancelled projects left and right, lack of focus, and constant slippage. Remasters abounds to pave over really quite gigantic cracks.

I guess Bloodborne will be their only standout of the year, released in March.

eFKac

In a way, it's kinda disappointing that the system is selling so well despite generally poor first-party support.

On the other hand, Microsoft isn't doing much better, if at all.

Well that's the thing.

Sony's support of the PS4 is rather poor, Q1/Q2 this year was strong though at least with high profile 3rd party exclusives (some will call them 1st party) but Microsoft is only worse.
They had Sunset Overdrive which granted them the console with games title, but afterwards up until Holidays they have fucking nothing. A B-tier remaster and Screamride and one higher profile and well reviewed indie that is also on PC.

I'm sure though, come Holidays, the PS4 will once again become the console with no games :p

Imagine what numbers would it be pulling with top tier 1st party line up like PS3 since 2009 with the exception of 2012.

I hope their E3 presser isn't filled with third party multiplat games. I used to complain about Microsoft's conferences because of that.

It's be surprising if Sony's is fulled with a majority of 3rd party games. Especially when MS are focusing on first party this year.

Rad-

All platforms have pretty boring lineups coming up. 360's 2007 was pretty amazing lineup wise and no platform this gen compares to that.

Zophar

Now that Uncharted has been delayed, Naughty Dog will struggle to get the franchise back to being a Xmas window game. Sony need reliable Xmas window franchises. Uncharted was that.

Winter 2016 = God of War IV
Winter 2017 = The Last of Us 2

There you go.

I guess we can cross off The Last Guardian at E3 for this year?

Don't expect any major first part surprises at E3, then. Fair enough.

nice to see this before E3

gonna keep my expectations in check

Welp, that guarantees that The Last Guardian isn't getting any kind of announcement this year...

Soo.....

No Last Guardian at E3?

Nothing said here has anything to do with whether they'll show stuff at E3.

BibiMaghoo

Disappointing to read. I had hoped they had a surprise in store for the end of the year, and this suggests to me that while there may be, it will not be of great import to them, so a smaller title for sure.

Top Bottom