• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Our 1st party lineup a little sparse this year"; emphasis on 3rd party support

Green Yoshi

Bummer :p Are these all the rest of their 2015 releases?

God of War III Remastered
Until Dawn
Tearaway Unfolded

Damn yeah that is sparse.

It is sparse, but I think you can add the Uncharted collection to your list.

Where is the 3rd party support for PS Vita? The console is only three years old and the 1st party lineup isn't very promising.
Run Sackboy! Run! was released this year, but it is only a Free2Play endless runner, that was already available on smart devices for months.

Concept17

NMS to become fully exclusive?

Letting us down only to drop TLG bomb?

What is it hype-gaf? Tell me!

Also, how much developer effort are they putting behind Morpheus at this point?

Flandy

this and at launch, sad thing is some of the games lacked in quality too, I haven't played a game as boring as Shadowfall in years, thankfully Mercenary on the Vita was much much better, and its the fact they pratically abandoned first party on the vita too that makes this even more annoying. I did like Knack though.
I think you may have forgotten that Sony was still releasing PS3 and Vita games in 2013. They most defeinitly did not have a sparse 2013 lineup.
Off the top of my head we got The Last of Us, God of War Asencsion, Beyond Two Souls, Puppeteer, Killzone Mercenary, Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice, Knack, Killzone Shadowfall, Resogun, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Scary thing is they might still have the most 1st party console releases this year out of the big 3. At least they're being upfront about it, guessing their E3 show isnt going to be as exciting as people are hoping for.

Fbh

So Ps4 has yet to have a year that isn't "a little sparse" lol.

Get ready for E3. 30 minutes of Bungie talking about some new Destiny expantion with exclusive Ps4 content so Sony can keep acting as if it was an exclusive game. Followed by a 15 minutes Assassins Creed demo

It is sparse, but I think you can add the Uncharted collection to your list.

Get ready for it only being Uncharted 3, "targeting 60 fps", Uncharted 1&2 acess on PS Now (only if you pre order) and priced at $50

I guess Ratchet and Clank will move to next year along with the movie? I thought that was slated for this year, thought they've said nothing about it recently. Well if Sony had planned on Uncharted 4 being the big game for the end of the year, having that move to next year would make sense that there would be a void. I doubt Sony would have wanted to put out 2 big games around the same time, so once Uncharted 4 moved they had nothing to fill it. I wouldn't want them to try to rush out a game just for the sake of filling in a spot for the end of the year.
It does sound like they'll target MGSV to be a playstation focused game kind of like what they're doing with Batman.
Oh well seems like 2016 is gonna be a big year for them.

I find that mindboggling. The PS3 had tons of great exclusives throughout it's life. Can't believe they're dropping the ball so hard.

Some of their studios haven't released anything big in almost 2+ years.

Media Molecule
Naughty Dog (besides TLOU:R)
Sony Santa Monica
Guerilla Games (don't they have a new office?)
The studio that made Golden Abyss
Isn't Insomniac doing something?
Polyphony Digital
The Evolution guys are still doing DC DLC?
Team ICO (lol)

Most of these have something new worth putting out? It feels like every E3 for the last 3 years, it feels like the next one will be when all the games are announced. What the hell are they doing?

Take the time to make a good game and release it when it is ready. To be honest, having games ready for holiday releases are becoming less and less important every year. Bloodborne launched in February and did amazing. The Last of Us launched in June, did great. The "Christmas killer app" is becoming less and less important for first parties, especially when third parties are doing all the heavy lifting. Who wants to bother competing with the yearly glut of AAA games come Sept/Oct/Nov?

Time to triangle my arse.

Sony and its execs seemed to make a right hodge podge of its internal studios at the start of this generation. Cancelled projects left and right, lack of focus, and constant slippage. Remasters abounds to pave over really quite gigantic cracks.

I guess Bloodborne will be their only standout of the year, released in March.

i've said this for a while but, Microsoft got shit on early this gen because their console itself wasn't ready, but looking at sony's first party output and quality of said output (especially when you consider they dont do vita or ps3 games anymore) sony wasnt ready on the game front

Loudninja

How many games do they have to release not to be sparse?

They will atleast have released 8 or so games by the end of this year.

Most of these have something new worth showing? It feels like every E3 for the last 3 years, it feels like the next one will be when all the games are announced. What the hell are they doing?

Sparse this year

Most of the stuff announced at E3 are typically for next year and beyond.

Not hard to understand though when the year ps4 launched

SSM released a ps3 game (Gow Ascension)
Naughty Dog released a ps3 game (TLOU)
Media Molecule released a ps vita game (Tearaway)
Polyphony Digital released a ps3 game (GT6)
Guerilla Cambridge released a ps vita game (KZ:M)
Studio Japan released a ps3 and ps4 game (Puppeteer and Knack)
Guerilla Games released a ps4 game (KZ:SF)

Honestly some of these ps3 games should have been held off for ps4

Begaria

Take the time to make a good game and release it when it is ready. To be honest, having games ready for holiday releases are becoming less and less important every year. Bloodborne launched in February and did amazing. The Last of Us launched in June, did great. The "Christmas killer app" is becoming less and less important for first parties, especially when third parties are doing all the heavy lifting. Who wants to bother competing with the yearly glut of AAA games come Sept/Oct/Nov?

I agree with this. I'd rather get games year round than pushing everything into the last three months of the year.

BadWolf

Not hard to understand though when the year ps4 launched

SSM released a ps3 game (Gow Ascension)
Naughty Dog released a ps3 game (TLOU)
Media Molecule released a ps vita game (Tearaway)
Polyphony Digital released a ps3 game (GT6)
Guerilla Cambridge released a ps vita game (KZ:M)
Studio Japan released a ps3 and ps4 game (Puppeteer and Knack)
Guerilla Games released a ps4 game (KZ:SF)

Honestly some of these ps3 games should have been held off for ps4

Puppeteer and GT6 should have been PS4 launch games.

At this point, my only concern is about quality.

Take your time to develop the next God of War entry, let Naughty Dog do their magic with Uncharted 4 and I'll be fine with MGS V Phantom Pain, Mad Max and Batman.

I'll even give it a try to Until Dawn.

AND MAKE SURE THAT PERSONA 5 IS RELEASED THIS YEAR (English version please)

Klossen

Banned
Dissappointing. Sony's first-party output has traditionally been very potent. Seems like current-gen AAA dev cycles coupled with layoffs is hitting their output pretty hard.

I hope they start investing in Japanese third-parties now before they all jump ship to mobile. Sony really needs to get PS4 going in Japan if they want to remain relevant there. But maybe they feel the investment too heavy compared to pay-off to do even that.

Games are games and people always over estimate the importance of first party games in the fall season.

That being said, load up spring and I'm good.

While I am disappointed it is refreshing to read those kind of comments. MS has been bragging about their games lineup all year long and they don't have much either yet they act like they have "too many holiday games." Especially since they have nothing between January and October.

No Man's Sky will be the key here. I am still optimistic about it but it will be hard to live up to the hype. They will also have a 3rd party partnership for Battlefront and if that is as strong as the Destiny partnership it could be huge.

I also think this is a product of subpar launches from Battlefield 4/MCC/Driveclub and Some Ubisoft titles that is causing the industry to take notice. It's more important to delay a game that isn't ready then to push it out for the holiday sales window. I think we would all agree that it sucks to wait but the game will be better for it.

KORNdoggy

Not sure how people can disagree with something Sony said about their own lineup.

i'm usually happy when a console has a single good exclusive in a year. third party has always been the bread and butter of a console though. and it's what i've always played more. so i guess it's sparse in the world where 5-6 exclusives a year arn't enough. but thankfully i don't live in that world..haha.

I find that mindboggling. The PS3 had tons of great exclusives throughout it's life. Can't believe they're dropping the ball so hard.

Some of their studios haven't released anything big in almost 2+ years.

Media Molecule (They released Tearaway even though it was a small team)
Naughty Dog (besides TLOU:R)
Sony Santa Monica (They should've released a game last year but it was cancelled at the last minute)
Guerilla Games (don't they have a new office?)
The studio that made Golden Abyss (A lot of their projects had been cancelled so they're a bit late)
Isn't Insomniac doing something?
Polyphony Digital
The Evolution guys are still doing DC DLC?
Team ICO (lol)

Most of these have something new worth putting out? It feels like every E3 for the last 3 years, it feels like the next one will be when all the games are announced. What the hell are they doing?

you turn speculation into a fact
and overreact lol

I never said it was a fact, I just don't think that they will announce a retail game for 2015 at E3 that's all.

Have to say this generation has been a big disappointment for me so far. I've never felt so unenthusiastic about new consoles before. Hopefully E3 will brighten my mood.

sora87

So Ps4 has yet to have a year that isn't "a little sparse" lol.

Get ready for E3. 30 minutes of Bungie talking about some new Destiny expantion with exclusive Ps4 content so Sony can keep acting as if it was en exclusive game. Followed by a 15 minutes Assassins Creed demo

This is my major concern now, Sony's conference will basically just be a 3rd party showcase with stupid timed DLC and marketing rights to give the illusion of exclusivity. All my hype for E3 is pretty much dead at this moment.

If by sparse they mean that I get few but very solid games like Bloodborne, I'm okay with this. Also the emphasis on third party is great. Now show me Persona 5 at E3 :)

Top Bottom