• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Our 1st party lineup a little sparse this year"; emphasis on 3rd party support

I'm surprised how much these tentpole exclusives matter to people on gaf. I always felt Motorstorm, Killzone and Resistance were pretty lackluster games. With MGSV, NMS, Persona 5, Battlefront, and possibly Bloodborne DLC coming out this year I figure people will have a lot to game on.

Here's a list of exclusive games (for 2015) out or coming out so far.

Bloodborne
Disgaea 5
Everybody's Gone To The Rapture
Fat Princess Adventures
Hot Shots Golf (we'll probably get a date at E3)
The Order
Until Dawn
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos
Omega Quintet
Rime
Tearaway Unfolded
The Tomorrow Children
VizionEck
Wattam
WiLD

I'm missing some remasters and such, but that's what's slated for this year at the moment. E3 could pull up some release dates, like Shadow of the Beast (since gameplay was recently seen a month ago). The game I can see being delayed the most is WiLD due to the lack of info.

Shit might change, and the 3rd party stuff drawfs that list, but it's not as empty as one might suspect.

(Unless your tastes don't fit those games, then I don't know what to tell you!)

Ray Down

Banned
I hope they start investing in Japanese third-parties now before they all jump ship to mobile. Sony really needs to get PS4 going in Japan if they want to remain relevant there. But maybe they feel the investment too heavy compared to pay-off to do even that.

They have been: Dissida, Star Ocean, Street Fighter, Verendus teases a collaboration with Sega & I think even 1 more Capcom title.

badb0y

While I am disappointed it is refreshing to read those kind of comments. MS has been bragging about their games lineup all year long and they don't have much either yet they act like they have "too many holiday games."

Microsoft does have too many holiday games.

Halo 5
Forza 6
Tomb Raider
Fable Legends
Gears of War Remastered

wapplew

Not hard to understand though when the year ps4 launched

SSM released a ps3 game (Gow Ascension)
Naughty Dog released a ps3 game (TLOU)
Media Molecule released a ps vita game (Tearaway)
Polyphony Digital released a ps3 game (GT6)
Guerilla Cambridge released a ps vita game (KZ:M)
Studio Japan released a ps3 and ps4 game (Puppeteer and Knack)
Guerilla Games released a ps4 game (KZ:SF)

Honestly some of these ps3 games should have been held off for ps4

Turn 10 ready to launch their second game on Xbox one later this year, Sony first party need to be more efficient.
3 years To make a game is fine, but how many title you can release this gen if you only manage to make a game in 3 years or more?

I expect either Battlefront or Uncharted 4 to close the show this year at Sony.

False. God of War 4 will. Probably.

or even possibly the Uncharted Collection

they play the epic theme and people are like wtf 'cause we already saw Uncharted 4 then it has a trailer for Uncharted Collection and the crowd goes wild.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Sony really needs to push Persona 5 this holiday season. It has the potential to be as big as Final Fantasy 7 if Sony realizes that and markets it heavily.

I hope The Tomorrow Children is still this year.
I watched a ton of ALPHA (or was it the BETA?) footage on the Live with Playstation app and it really appeals to me.

It is my third most anticipated 1st party PS4 game this year after Bloodborne and RIME.

This is my major concern now, Sony's conference will basically just be a 3rd party showcase with stupid timed DLC and marketing rights to give the illusion of exclusivity. All my hype for E3 is pretty much dead at this moment.

ayyy lmao.

You do realise we're likely to see demos for Ratchet, Uncharted 4, etc, aka games that have nothing to do with House's statement of a sparse line-up this year? Because they're next year's games?

3rd-parties will make up the bulk of the showcases for stuff releasing this year. But that doesn't mean Sony won't show stuff for next year and beyond.

Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, a Wolfenstein expansion, MGSV...it's a great year regardless of few big exclusives, but I hope they kick it up a notch next year.

Fbh

Any big E3 announcements will be for 2016 games in all likelihood.

But yes, no TLG.

And then those games will be pushed back to 2017 and 2016 will have the games they pushed back from 2015.
Not a bad strategy really, keeps a constant feeling of "next year is going to be the best year ever"

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Oddly enough their first party lineup for this year looks the best to me out of all the platforms.
That doesn't mean it isn't sparse.

If you go back throughout the last few years Sony has been a publisher with a significant quantity of titles.

I-hate-u

I find that mindboggling. The PS3 had tons of great exclusives throughout it's life. Can't believe they're dropping the ball so hard.

Most of these have something new worth putting out? It feels like every E3 for the last 3 years, it feels like the next one will be when all the games are announced. What the hell are they doing?

The situation they are in right now is because of their support of the PS3. Just as a reminder, these are the devs that released games in 2013 and early 2014:

2-3 SCEJ
Naughty Dog
Polyphony Digital
Sucker Punch
Santa Monica
Media Molecule
Quantic Dream
2 Guerrilla Games

Is it really a surprise the lack of titles right now? And even then, SCE outpaces other console manufacturers with consistent title releases with second party partnerships like BB.

Audioboxer

Nope they should work as they are we dont need anymore rushed games.

Sensible reply. Fed up with rushed and/or buggy releases. Would rather wait a little longer for genuine gems like Bloodborne. Driveclub turned into a great game but it was a warning shot for sloppy releases not getting a pass regardless of the developers previous titles.

LBP3 was kind of mediocre as well. A fair few Sony franchises need time in the think tank before crapping out any more sequels.

I hope The Tomorrow Children is still this year.
I watched a ton of ALPHA (or was it the BETA?) footage on the Live with Playstation app and it really appeals to me.

It is my third most anticipated 1st party PS4 game this year after Bloodborne and RIME.

The fact that they had a working Alpha earlier installs hope. Rime recently got an interview where they said they were still on track for a 2015 release (and that Sony was helping that along).

But like I said, WiLD is the one I fear the most. It reminds me of Tails of the Sun, but I think conceptually it would take a long, long time to bring into fruition.

Soo.....

No Last Guardian at E3?

crying-Bastian.jpg

Every PlayStation in history has had a weak exclusive output in the first couple of years. They eventually come good though.

Also, as always, the number one goal is to make profit for shareholders. Sony are managing that quite comfortably this gen with a large helping from Microsoft. Internally developed exclusives are expensive to make and when your machine is selling exceptionally well without them, there's little pressure to start churning them out.

Not sure how people can disagree with something Sony said about their own lineup.
It's simple. House didn't mean it's "a little sparse this year, compared to the competitions output". It's a little sparse in general for SCE/PlayStation.
They will still have more 1st party releases in 2015 than MS or Nintendo.

The fact that they had a working Alpha earlier installs hope. Rime recently got an interview where they said they were still on track for a 2015 release (and that Sony was helping that along).

But like I said, WiLD is the one I fear the most. It reminds me of Tails of the Sun, but I think conceptually it would take a long, long time to bring into fruition.

WILD was never announced with any release year at all. There was no way it's this year. 2016 earliest.

Them being "sparse" shows how first party is kind of meh for everyone this year since they still have almost double the 1st party games this year as MS

Sony
The Order: 1886
Bloodborne
MLB 15: The Show
God of War III Remastered
Until Dawn
Tearaway Unfolded
-
Helldivers
Deep Down
Drawn to Death
The Tomorrow Children
Kill Strain

MS
Forza Motorsport 6
Halo 5: Guardians
Fable Legends
-
Screamride
Ori and the Blind Forest
State of Decay: Survival Edition

Nintendo has the most but they kind of have to due to next to zero third party support

Then they better have an amazing showing for 2016 at E3, because right now, PS4 is contending for worst market leader (in this amount of time anyway). They just got really lucky that MS/Nintendo fucked up so bad, that they automatically became the go-to system for multiplats early on. More 3rd party exclusives like DQ Heroes wouldn't be bad either. They should have really given another try to establishing Yakuza over here with the latest PS4 games instead of now just bringing the PS3 title (which will just die again anyway).

Circinus

In a way, it's kinda disappointing that the system is selling so well despite generally poor first-party support.

On the other hand, Microsoft isn't doing much better, if at all.

I agree. MS Studios is doing a good job though I think.

don't worry , $299 will save it

Not relevant from the consumer point of view for people that already own PS4's.

Welp, that guarantees that The Last Guardian isn't getting any kind of announcement this year...

It could get an announcement this year and release next year or in 2 years. ;)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I should have waited 3 years to buy the ps4. Sony needs to get their game act together.
You can still sell it before this year's price drop to recover some cost.

Then buy it later when someone else that bought in at the lower price wants to sell her PS4.

Bgamer90

Banned
i'm usually happy when a console has a single good exclusive in a year. third party has always been the bread and butter of a console though. and it's what i've always played more. so i guess it's sparse in the world where 5-6 exclusives a year arn't enough. but thankfully i don't live in that world..haha.

Yeah, definitely understandable. Especially if a console with great third party support is your main console (which is true for many people when it comes to the PS4).

I just find it funny since I basically stated what Sony said here a few days ago in a post; People disagreed with me though. Not sure how people can still disagree when Sony is saying it.

Bummer :p Are these all the rest of their 2015 releases?

God of War III Remastered
Until Dawn
Tearaway Unfolded

Damn yeah that is sparse.

Tis. Their overall picture isn't so bad, but 1st Party is definitely quite weak.

If we break down their calendar (3rd party titles mentioned with have Sony marketing. Some will be marketed like exclusives (MGS5, Battlefront etc)

E3

Batman: Arkham Knight - June
God of War III Remastered - July
Until Dawn - August
Metal Gear Solid 5 - September
Mad Max - September
Tearaway Unfolded - September?

Paris Games Week

Price cut announcement?

Uncharted Collection - October?
Just Cause 3 - October?
Star Wars Battlefront - November

PSX

We have some exclusives/console exclusives that have yet to announce a date that will probably launch this year:

Rime
The Witness
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
The Tomorrow Children

Looking at that, the picture isn't too bad.

Sony really needs to push Persona 5 this holiday season. It has the potential to be as big as Final Fantasy 7 if Sony realizes that and markets it heavily.

Absolutely could not disagree with this more. No way in hell.
Different time, different gaming landscape, and FFVII was absolutely state-of-the-art "I want to show everyone" kind of game. P5 will be great, but as far as production values and overall "big deal" appeal, Persona 5 in 2015 doesn't even come close to a respective FFVII in 1997.

TomShoe

Banned
I'm surprised how much these tentpole exclusives matter to people on gaf. I always felt Motorstorm, Killzone and Resistance were pretty lackluster games. With MGSV, NMS, Persona 5, Battlefront, and possibly Bloodborne DLC coming out this year I figure people will have a lot to game on.

I'll never understand the disdain for Indie & Japanese games around here. If it's not AAA new IP then it's going to be criticized. People want new games, yet when new games are made, no one buys them. Therefore, publishers see this and stick to their tentpoles and are forced to take less risks. Then everyone buys those and complains about how it's the same game as last time. It's a self-perpetuating cycle, and it sickens me, really.

Klossen

Banned
Every PlayStation in history has had a weak exclusive output in the first couple of years. They eventually come good though.
Do you want me to show you the number of PSX/PS2 exclusives in the span of 1.5 years of their life cycles? It's quite something to behold. Even PS3, infamous for its slow start had a much higher output of exclusive titles at the start of the generation.

OCD Guy

*Flame shield up* Xbox one has more appealing exclusives than the ps4.

Shocking really when the PS3 was really strong last year, especially towards the later part of the last gen where the 360 was pretty much just a third party machine.

Top Bottom