• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Our 1st party lineup a little sparse this year"; emphasis on 3rd party support

Blueingreen

M°°nblade;165512051 said:
They had GT3, Jak, ratchet, Ico&sotc, God of war, ... and maybe some other stuff. But nothing compared to their PS3 efforts imo.

The first Killzone game was very average. Socom was a poor man's Halo. Wipeout fusion was maybe the poorest iteration of the entire series. Most formula games seemed to suck. Then you had Buzz, tourist trophy, smuggler's run, genji, Ghosthunter, Siren, arc the lad, Syphon Filter ... all which were received pretty average.

Da Fuq, do you even know what Socom is ? they're not comparable in the slightest.

Why are people under the incorrect assumption that Xbox has more games?!

No idea... It's weird. And I honestly don't think the quantity of Sony's first party titles has been that bad this generation so far. Lack of quality has been the problem, with Bloodborne being the only "great" game so far.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
The reasons Sony doesn't pump enough games is simple because is still selling a lot.

In the other hand MS and Nintendo are pumping games like crazy (or at least more than PS)

I just want people to buy the system with the most games so companies would enter emergency mode.

I dont think x1 owners have had much to play this year at all. However microsoft does have a better holiday line up compared to sony

The reasons Sony doesn't pump enough games is simple because is still selling a lot.

In the other hand MS and Nintendo are pumping games like crazy (or at least more than PS)

I just want people to buy the system with the most games so companies would enter emergency mode.

Wrong on every point but okay. The idea that you honestly think a company would, what, halt development? Because they are selling a lot? Is astronomically naive. The games are coming no matter what. The sales of PS4 don't have any bearing on them making new games. You realize they do make money by selling games right?

Your second point is flat out wrong on both counts. MS is certainly not "pumping out games" by any means and PS has the most by number out of all of them as well so.

I dont think x1 owners have had much to play this year at all. However microsoft does have a better holiday line up compared to sony

Even with a 'better' line-up, it's not as if Sony has less games. It's just that Sony's line-up is less mainstream and less 'desirable' compared to MS's. (Tearaway, Until Dawn, Uncharted Collection, etc)

Servbot24

Banned

Huh? MS is in the middle of a huge drought. Nintendo is doing a little better but still very slim pickings. Sony has had by far the best offerings this year (which takes very little to do). It's not until October that MS will jump ahead.

TheStruggler

No idea... It's weird. And I honestly don't think the quantity of Sony's first party titles has been that bad this generation so far. Lack of quality has been the problem, with Bloodborne being the only "great" game so far.

I agree with this the order was a mess that should have been scratched and re-done. Quality has been a problem, there have been games but some of them have been forgettable. Later this year when x1 has halo, tomb raider, forza etc those games are what you should expect and be good quality, we will see about halo however because the remasters have been a mess so far. I think if sony can finally gte the fucking ball rolling next year (which is sad to say) then we will have some quality titles like street fighter, uncharted, rachet and clank and potentially other 1st party games announced at E3

Come on Sony we know the jest
Sony : no 1st party
Fans : oh no this is bad
@e3
Sony: we were kidding here's The Last Gurdian for PS3/PS4

TomShoe

Banned

#IDARB was in January.

Screamride, Ori & Fruit Ninja were in March.

State of Decay was in April.

Other than some smaller titles, not much since then.

lol, no doubt MS will 'win' E3 again this year yet still have less games than PS4 - go figure

Personally, I expect Microsoft to 'win' this years E3, on the virtue that they have 2 conferences compared to Sony's 4. Therefore, they should have more to announce.

TheStruggler

Even with a 'better' line-up, it's not as if Sony has less games. It's just that Sony's line-up is less mainstream and less 'desirable' compared to MS's. (Tearaway, Until Dawn, Uncharted Collection, etc)

I didnt say sony had less games I was pointing out to the other user because they stated x1 was pumping out games which they are not. And second you right sony games in the holiday are not as desirable or sound as flashy as microsofts which is a problem, cause sony's games are only going to appeal to a small group, where microsofts games will appeal to way more people.

goonergaz

cause sony's games are only going to appeal to a small group, where microsofts games will appeal to way more people.

yeah, CoD, MGS, Batman & Battlefront won't appeal at all (and yes I know their not exclusive, but it's rediculous to suggest PS4 has games only to cater for a small group)

Kayant

Games take several days to make obviously /s

Amazing how wrong this comment is.

The stupidity and hyperhole isn't going to end anytime soon is it

I didnt say sony had less games I was pointing out to the other user because they stated x1 was pumping out games which they are not. And second you right sony games in the holiday are not as desirable or sound as flashy as microsofts which is a problem, cause sony's games are only going to appeal to a small group, where microsofts games will appeal to way more people.

I wasn't refuting you, I was adding to your statement by stating how even in the current 'sparse' year, it's not actually less games.

TheStruggler

yeah, CoD & Battlefront won't appeal at all (and yes I know their not exclusive, but it's rediculous to suggest PS4 has games only to cater for a small group)

i meant exclusive wise, also I hate when people throw out third party games as a wa to distract people from lack of good quality first party support. compare halo, forza, tomb raider to tearaway and until dawn....which games do you think would appeal more to fans

RiverKwai

What percentage of HALO fans don't have an Xbox One already? Didn't we already go to that well with MCC? Are people really expecting it to drive a noticeable amount of console sales?

Bergerac

It is sparse but even if they had a few 1st party games out already, say U4 and something else were somehow developed earlier and had been already released this year... the situation would still be the same.

First party can't do everything to sell the system, but everyone treats it like that is the case.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
i meant exclusive wise, also I hate when people throw out third party games as a wa to distract people from lack of good quality first party support. compare halo, forza, tomb raider to tearaway and until dawn....which games do you think would appeal more to fans
What is your basic argument here?

You seem to talk about sales, but then you don't think the big games which make up the majority of sales count but rather some other tier of games.

And then you talk about "appeal to fans" on NeoGAF where games that sell like shit compared to the popular games are winning Game of the Year accolades.

goonergaz

Why? Because it's waters down your arguement to nothing?

Face it, when you stack up all the games the XBO will have a couple extra games is all, majority of which will run better on PS4.

Servbot24

Banned

Or compare Bloodborne to Screamride.

Melchiah

I think that's a bit naive way to look at it. As for the amount of games, dunno about Wii U, but the PS4 certainly has more games available than the XBO, if you aren't excluding certain types of games from the library to tip the scales.

What percentage of HALO fans don't have an Xbox One already? Didn't we already go to that well with MCC? Are people really expecting it to drive a noticeable amount of console sales?

While I don't think Halo 5 will have an impact anywhere near as big as previous games, MCC isn't really the best comparison point since it's just an HD collection.

2015-
Sony: releases 4 first party titles 3 of which are new IPs.
not even counting download only

"Isnt pumping enough games"

MS: releases 4 first party titles 1 of which is a new IP.

"Microsoft is pumping games like crazy"

Thanks Pre-Season.

Infamous SS and DriveClub were great games. Killzone had FANTASTIC multiplayer and first half of campaign. My kid still plays Knack. It was a bit repetitive but it had its moments and on Hard was quite fun and challenging.

I think this is mostly revisionists history or people creating their own narratives for their own reasons. First party output overall has been good. A few misses but that's to be expected when you output so much each gen.

goonergaz

While I don't think Halo 5 will have an impact anywhere near as big as previous games, MCC isn't really the best comparison point since it's just an HD collection.

I think it's a fair point to suggest a lot of Halo fans would have jumped when MCC came out...the start of the hype and all that.

TomShoe

Banned
Sony: releases 4 first party titles 3 of which are new IPs.
not even counting download only

"Isnt pumping enough games"

MS: releases 4 first party titles 1 of is a new IP.

"Microsoft is pumping games like crazy"

Thanks Pre-Season.

Clearly a games impact scales positively with how late in the year it's released. Therefore if Ori was released December 31st it would clearly overshadow Uncharted 4 in terms of consoles sold

I'm a math major, don't argue, it's science.

Somnia

Halo 4 drove XB360 sales and it was late into the gen.

Halo 5 will drive consoles, they will go up in October, but Halo will drive sales for awhile because it's a big franchise.

That's like saying Uncharted 4 won't drive PS4 sales cause all the Uncharted fans already bought PS4's. Uncharted 4 will drive PS4 sales the month it came out.

Typically huge franchises like those two will see a spike in system sales for the month they come out, but they will over years still "sell" consoles just not in huge monthly numbers.

Elandyll

Banned

Just to compare what's already out (retail) in terms of 1st (IP owned and owned studio) and 2nd party (IP owned but external studio).

Sony 1st:
Killzone Shadowfall (GG)
Knack (SCEJ)
TLOU remastered (ND)
Driveclub (Evo)
MLB 14 (SD)
MLB 15 (SD)
Infamous 2nd Son (Sucker Punch)
Singstar Ultimate Party (SCEE)

Sony 2nd:
LBP3 (SumoD)
The Order 1886 (RaD)
Bloodborne (From/ SCEJ)

MS 1st:
Forza 5 (Turn10)
Kinect Rivals (Rare)
Halo MCC (343i)

MS 2nd:
Forza Horizon 2 (Playground)
Zoo Tycoon (Frontier)

With MS there's been a ton of third party buyouts (Ryse, Dead Rising, Sunset Overdrive, Shape Up, Fighter Within, Titanfall, Fantasia Music Evolved, Screamride, etc.), but these are not 1st or even 2nd party.
I really don't see where the idea of MS pushing "more 1st party titles than Sony" comes from...

Now my fear is that -if- Sony's lineup is really that barren for fall '15, they're going to resort to the same kind of tactics.. and then everybody loses.

Infamous SS and DriveClub were great games. Killzone had FANTASTIC multiplayer and first half of campaign. My kid still plays Knack. It was a bit repetitive but it had its moments and on Hard was quite fun and challenging.

I think this is mostly revisionists history or people creating their own narratives for their own reasons. First party output overall has been good. A few misses but that's to be expected when you output so much each gen.
You have to have a metatacritic score of 80 or above to be considered great. Haven't you heard?
Or is it 90 now?

goonergaz

Halo 4 drove XB360 sales and it was late into the gen.

Halo 5 will drive consoles, they will go up in October, but Halo will drive sales for awhile because it's a big franchise.

That's like saying Uncharted 4 won't drive PS4 sales cause all the Uncharted fans already bought PS4's. Uncharted 4 will drive PS4 sales the month it came out.

Typically huge franchises like those two will see a spike in system sales for the month they come out, but they will over years still "sell" consoles just not in huge monthly numbers.

There's no doubt it will, but I think it's fair to suggest MCC will have shifted a good percent of the fans. I assumed that's all he was trying to say. And it's not the same unless there was an Uncharted remaster out and someone said it.

Somnia

There's no doubt it will, but I think it's fair to suggest MCC will have shifted a good percent of the fans. I assumed that's all he was trying to say. And it's not the same unless there was an Uncharted remaster out and someone said it.

MCC was a re-master, it wasn't going to deliver nearly the numbers of an actual numbered version of the game, so no I don't think its fair to suggest it shifted a good % of the fans. It did shift a % sure, but Halo is a 8-10 million per game franchise (of the #'d versions) so a lot of casual fans won't jump on till the real sequel is released.

Sure the die hard Halo fans are already on board.

TheStruggler

What is your basic argument here?

You seem to talk about sales, but then you don't think the big games which make up the majority of sales count but rather some other tier of games.

And then you talk about "appeal to fans" on NeoGAF where games that sell like shit compared to the popular games are winning Game of the Year accolades.

Why? Because it's waters down your arguement to nothing?

Face it, when you stack up all the games the XBO will have a couple extra games is all, majority of which will run better on PS4.

how does it water down my argument the topic and even sony admitted their first party support is sparse and then people defend it and go well least there's third party games. And then "well it plays better on sonys console" who cares its still a game on another system. And by appeal to fans I was talking exclusive wise this year, sony has had some decent exclusives the first half which is bloodborne, but you cant tell me that tearaway is going to be bigger than halo.

RiverKwai

It's really not a "comparison point". MCC was bundled and highly anticipated by Halo Fans who wanted to play Halo on current gen systems (even though it was "just" an HD collection). It sold decent numbers even though 343 screwed the pooch at launch. That's all I was saying. I think maybe the "wider popularity" of the holiday exclusives might be overstated as far as any appreciable affect on console sales. I don't know that Forza or Tomb Raider are going to drive any console sales, and I think a lot (maybe even a majority) of Halo fans already have an Xbox One.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
how does it water down my argument the topic and even sony admitted their first party support is sparse and then people defend it and go well least there's third party games. And then "well it plays better on sonys console" who cares its still a game on another system. And by appeal to fans I was talking exclusive wise this year, sony has had some decent exclusives the first half which is bloodborne, but you cant tell me that tearaway is going to be bigger than halo.
Andrew House speaking to investors says the money will be spend on third party this year.

That is what this thread is about. The strategy to maximize growth for the Games Devision within Sony Corp without having their own marquee title to push for the holiday season.

I really have absolutely no clue what you are getting at. It seems like you don't know it yourself with your comparisons.

djjinx2

Reading this thread.....

i-cant-even.gif

Genuine question - if Sony had delayed the order, Bloodborne, tearaway unfolded, until dawn, Journey and GoW remastered to October/November/December (along with the exclusives releasing there anyway, like persona 5) would their lineup for the year be considered better (or to rephrase it, would they be 'pumping' harder)?

You have to have a metatacritic score of 80 or above to be considered great. Haven't you heard?
Or is it 90 now?

Lol I know you are joking but man it really does feel that way sometimes.

Some people truly act like 7.5 means " not worth wasting time on ".

Their loss though really.

Knack was terrible and Killzone and Infamous have both had better entries in their respective series. Sony was the best first party developer last generation but Nintendo is easily outclassing them this generation. No, it isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and the great games will come in time. People are just slightly let down so far after how incredible they were with PS3 first party games.

Top Bottom