• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Our 1st party lineup a little sparse this year"; emphasis on 3rd party support

As someone who's primary device is a PC, this postpones my plans to buy a PS4. Ill stick with the Wii U. Pathetic all they really have is Bloodborne so far.

Was there some recent TLG news that I'm unaware of? There must have been, because the amount of mentions it's received in this thread is staggering. Are some people actually holding out hope for that game to be a big holiday surprise?

it would be funny to see how diffetent the narrative would be if sony just stuffed all its exclusives at the end of the year which is lol.

Is it so surprising though? Doesn't Sony now have less studios than before (they shut down a bunch over the life of PS3 right?), plus TLG has been in the works for.... forever which has eaten up development money that could have gone to something else. Didn't Santa Monica also shut down a new IP they were working on? So they went from 2 games to 1. I honestly expect first party output to pretty much be this for the rest of the PS4 life. It doesn't mean they won't get more exclusive games from other companies (like Quantic Dream) but unless they buy up more studios or expand on existing ones isn't this the kind of output we should expect?

Foffy

Banned
Was there some recent TLG news that I'm unaware of? There must have been, because the amount of mentions it's received in this thread is staggering. Are some people actually holding out hope for that game to be a big holiday surprise?

Just desperation. Literally, that's all.

TomShoe

Banned
it would be funny to see how diffetent the narrative would be if sony just stuffed all its exclusives at the end of the year which is lol.

Please no. I actually like having games to look forward to throughout the year. Besides, why put your games in the holiday season where they can get overshadowed by Call of Duty and Halo. LBP3 suffered because of this.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think he is being a little hard on themselves. They have had The Order, Bloodborne, MLB the Show, Until Dawn in August, Tearaway hopefully soon after, and maybe something else for the holidays. On top of that a lot of downloadables. May not be what everyone was expecting, but hey if The Last Guardian is released this year or Persona 5 then color me satisfied.
He is talking to investors.

Investors do not give a shit about Tearaway or Until Dawn. If they even care about individual titles, then it's Gran Turismo and Uncharted.

Krakn3Dfx

Part of me is kind of bummed out by this, there's not a lot on the tail end of this year that I'm interested in, Unity burned me on the AC franchise, I've never been a Halo or Call of Duty fan, I'm hopeful for Battlefront and I'm still excited for NMS.

If Just Cause 3 drops this year, that'll fill a huge hole for me as well.

If they could drop Shadow of the Beast this year, that'd be pretty cool.

2016 seems pretty front loaded for Sony again though, which is cool.

Theonik

You know what, I'll just go ahead and say it.

Even if TLG is announced/released this year, it doesn't somehow magically turn Sony's holiday line-up into amazing. TLG only matters to the hardcore gaming community. It's not in the same realms of mainstream multi-million sellers that get the average gamers riled up like God of War, Uncharted. Gran Turismo.
TLG is going to cure cancer. Also you are seriously overestimating the impact of single high-hitting games in this game. As long as PS4 remains the place for people to play their FIFA, CoD etc etc it doesn't really matter whether the games are exclusive or not. Those give a lot more sales momentum that most Sony franchises give with the exception of GT.

It will be sonys own fault if Xbox outsells it from here on out.
Doubtful this will happen this year if at all. MS needs to do a lot of hustlin' to make that happen.

Just desperation. Literally, that's all.
HOPE

biteren

but the that one tweet from a year ago said that this year would be our year! theres no way he could be wrong!

could he?

Investors do not give a shit about Tearaway or Until Dawn. If they even care about individual titles, then it's Gran Turismo and Uncharted.

Yep. Indie titles are great forum fodder for list wars, but in general they are talking about the big guns.

Zalman

Their output so far has been so disappointing. Even the PS3 had a good amount of noteworthy exclusives at this point in its life.

Juraash

It's weird, I buy my consoles based on the exclusives it has or is likely to have. But I also acknowledge that they are a small part of my library when a generation comes to a close. I'm not totally shocked by this reveal and I'm not heartbroken about it either. I have no doubt I'll log plenty of hours with my Sony stuff despite a thin exclvusive lineup this year.

And looking at the sales charts month after month, multiplat sequels are what sell the most by and large anyways. I don't really feel like Sony is going to suffer by only having a handful of exclusives this year.

Dysun

The last years of the PS3 were so great it bought alot of goodwill. That's all gone for me now, except for Bloodborne I've been disappointed since I bought the thing

arevin01

Really bad holidays planning on Sonys part. They went all in with The Order and Bloodborne early and have nothing left.

TLG is going to cure cancer. Also you are seriously overestimating the impact of single high-hitting games in this game. As long as PS4 remains the place for people to play their FIFA, CoD etc etc it doesn't really matter whether the games are exclusive or not. Those give a lot more sales momentum that most Sony franchises give with the exception of GT.

I'm just saying that people are reading way too much into the whole 'our line-up this year is sparse' statement. That doesn't somehow mean we won't be getting new games this fall ( we already know UCC is a thing ), but that by and large, one game doesn't somehow make the difference between sparse and awesome.

Fbh

We are getting near E3.
As every year some people are fully expecting the last guardian.
Then it won't show
Then some Sony guy will say "Yep it's in full development and advancing nicely but we have nothing to show at this time"
And that will be enough to get people convinced that "2016 is going to be the year"

MrHoot

If you only count internal studio, only MLB, half remaster Tearaway and full master GOW3.

I already got Tearaway on vita but i'll probably double bip.

And yeah, I hope for more info on Rime and Tomorrow children which were the games that caught me the most last time, although I don't know if we get them this year ? Same for TTC.

Really just wish to have a few "boom heavy hitters" for at least justify a console presence on the market =p

Circinus

Yeah, I agree. The context in which he was speaking should be made clear as well.

It was an investor day presentation about Sony's electronics business unit (of which SCE / PlayStation is part of) in which SCE outlined its mid-term strategy.

So he's probably only talking about tentpole AAA releases like Uncharted.

labaronx

Wouldn't it. Like one console has souly relied on 3rd party support for the first 9 months then bam nothing matters until September October and November

wapplew

There's no chance of that happening.

Never say never? Things could change you know. With MS riding Win10 and DX12 hype, Xbox one performance improve, plus more Japanese dev starting to support win10/dx12 and easy Xbox one port,
Sony starting to lose their Japanese third party exclusive.

tIUW0vB.gif

Loudninja

Really bad holidays planning on Sonys part. They went all in with The Order and Bloodborne early and have nothing left.
This is is so silly to me,you want them to delay games just to have a pissing contest for the holiday.

I really dont get this and I doubt I ever will.

OCD Guy

As much as I'd love that to happen for reasons I stated earlier, it will NEVER happen globally.

In the UK and N.A? Sure, anywhere else is doubtful.

I personally think the UK and N.A are the most important markets for traditional consoles though, long gone are the days where Japan for example was in any way important.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They did great on PS Vita and PS3 I think.

Add PSP and yes, Sony's first party output was what made them this incredible force despite all the negative press during that era.

Now, despite overwhelming PS4 victory, due to the larger corps problems, it feels like we're getting barely a third of their old output level. Its honestly pathetic and incredibly disappointing.

As long as we can at least get Rime, No Man's Sky, and maybe The Witness this year, I'll be fine.

Unfortunately, it looks like all three of these games could be delayed.

*in the US and UK... maybe... for a few months...

How cute that you think first party quality matters.

To be so innocent again.

Maybe not, but popularity matters, and Microsoft does have some huge exclusives coming this year. If you don't think games like Halo or Tomb Raider don't matter, then I don't know what to tell you. Plus they'll have Forza and Gears Remastered, which will be nice supplements.

Rezae

I still don't understand how these are flying off shelves (well..aside from the last NPD). I plan on getting one eventually, although I'm pretty happy with my mid-range PC for the time being.

The other head scratcher is that not only have their 1st party releases been sparse all the way up to this point, but their quality, while not terrible, has been very critically mediocre, aside from Bloodborne.

I think this fall will be very interesting. Halo 5 will be huge, and I think MS may bring more surprises to the table. The more time that passes since the One's terrible reveal, the better for MS. Hopefully it all leads to some price drops. Until then though, and until both platforms get a good quantity of quality exclusives, I'll stick to my PC.

SgtCobra

Never say never? Things could change you know. With MS riding Win10 and DX12 hype, Xbox one performance improve, plus more Japanese dev starting to support win10/dx12 and easy Xbox one port,
Sony starting to lose their Japanese third party exclusive.
Most Japanese devs are not going to support a console which has atrocious sales for Japanese developed games, whether they are easy to port or not

I see. Just saying they do have titles, but yes they are missing that big tentpole.

Yep. Indie titles are great forum fodder for list wars, but in general they are talking about the big guns.

Not for me, I have enjoyed Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge way more than any other game this year, and I am more looking forward to Witness, Rime, Edith Finch, and No Man's Sky than Battlefront. I get it though those aren't exactly what investors are looking to hear about.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This is is so silly to me,you want them to delay games just to have a pissing contest for the holiday.

I really dont get this and I doubt I ever will.
It's easy:

If a game is not out yet by the time of discussion it's assumed due to the inherent bias of those that trump upcoming games in discussions about what is the hot shit yo baby fiyah that it will be the best game ever in the history of the universe.

If a game is already out by the time of discussion then we all know that it isn't that.

Potential and hype is the currency and having a released game with the usual faults that real released games have is the loan shark.

Maybe not, but popularity matters, and Microsoft does have some huge exclusives coming this year. If you don't think games like Halo or Tomb Raider don't matter, then I don't know what to tell you. Plus they'll have Forza and Gears Remastered, which will be nice supplements.
Yes, popularity matters. Popularity uses the network effect to create more popularity.

And which platform is currently winning this mind share war in the only objective metric (sales) is not up for discussion.

MrHoot

Most Japanese devs are not going to support a console which has atrocious sales for Japanese developed games, whether they are easy to port or not

Hell most japanese devs don't even support the PS4 to start with at the moment, what with the mobile market still being strong there

If this had anything to do with E3 announcements do you really think they would do the theatre thing again? People taking this as them having nothing to talk about at E3 lol

Top Bottom