• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Our 1st party lineup a little sparse this year"; emphasis on 3rd party support

Syntsui

To be quite honest, after Bloodborne, they have nothing that would interest me anyway. I'm still holding strong for the inevitable slim version.

I agree. MS Studios is doing a good job though I think.

In terms of having a constant presence of it's big IPs, sure. But otherwise, I think it's not that great.

vIKcWfq.jpg

Every PlayStation in history has had a weak exclusive output in the first couple of years. They eventually come good though.

The PS4 has the weakest exclusive output of all the PS consoles so far. PS3 was mocked for having no games early on but it had more output than PS4.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah, definitely understandable. Especially if a console with great third party support is your main console (which is true for many people when it comes to the PS4).

I just find it funny since I basically stated what Sony said here a few days ago in a post; People disagreed with me though. Not sure how people can still disagree when Sony is saying it.
You can still be wrong though when probably making it in a comparison post vs. other platform holders.

Because Sony had years where it had 3 times the amount of games released as Microsoft Studios and that was back when you needed a publisher so quite a few indie titles were MS Studio titles which they wouldn't be today.

So Sony can be sparse compared to itself, while still being not sparse when compared to something else. ;-)

Foffy

Banned
It's been sparse since the console launched. Literally, after the system launched, it's been a trickle-down effort of first party games, and they've merely hijacked their support to third party games to make this up.

Can't wait to see what third party multiplatform will be treated like a first party exclusive again...

Welp, that guarantees that The Last Guardian isn't getting any kind of announcement this year...

Can't they feasibly announce it at E3 and release it early next year? Releasing it this fall would guarantee its death at the hands of the usual annualised mega-franchises that are always out in October and November.

jaypah

2016 is probably going to be on fire. Hopefully we get to see a bunch of those games at E3. They've had a nice year so far though so I'm not exactly complaining.

Sciortino

Why are people saying no TLG at E3? He's not talking about future announcements at E3, he's just talking about 1st party being a little dry for 2015 in terms of releases..

"We are working very hard to continue very strong support from third-party pubs and devs," House said. "Our first-party lineup is a little sparse this year, so I think this places even greater emphasis on getting good third-party support."
A remedy might be to focus on buying or building 1st party studios rather than shit marketing deals that cost them so much money, but hey I guess having timed DLC is all the rage these days. :\

I sincerely hope they do expand, all I've heard is that small indie studio announced at E3? last year that came that day and Morpheus UK-based studio.

From the linked piece:

"House also cast a dim view of the company's handheld business. While he noted that the Vita platform remains "strong and vibrant" in Asia and Japan, his outlook for the current fiscal year included declines in the US and Europe. Additionally, he referred to the PlayStation Vita and its microconsole counterpart the PlayStation TV as "legacy platforms" when discussing a write-off of hardware components for the two."

Oof, damning, but probably not too surprising. While Vita is still a priority for SCEJ, ever since a lot of SCEA/SCEE investments (Killzone, Tearaway) performed below expectations, and since the PS4 performed way above expectations, it makes sense for SCEA/SCEE to focus on PS4 going forward.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's been sparse since the console launched. Literally, after the system launched, it's been a trickle-down effort of first party games, and they've merely hijacked their support to third party games to make this up.
I think one should get used to the AAA console industry dying. It's inevitable with the huge consolidation that has been seen.

To somehow think there will a second spring and lots of games are being made again like they were 8 years ago is unrealistic.

Can't wait to see what third party multiplatform will be treated like a first party exclusive again...
Star Wars Battlefront

Bgamer90

Banned
It's simple. House didn't mean it's "a little sparse this year, compared to the competitions output". It's a little sparse in general for SCE/PlayStation.
They will still have more 1st party releases in 2015 than MS or Nintendo.

What does that opinion have to do with anything that I said? I never made any comparisons to the Xbox or Wii U's lineup for this year.

If it's sparse then it's sparse. Doesn't matter what the other consoles have/don't have. It's obvious that Sony is banking in on third party support and deals to help with that fact (which is smart).

You can still be wrong though when probably making it in a comparison post vs. other platform holders.

Because Sony had years where it had 3 times the amount of games released as Microsoft Studios and that was back when you needed a publisher so quite a few indie titles were MS Studio titles which they wouldn't be today.

So Sony can be sparse compared to itself, while still being not sparse when compared to something else. ;-)
Exactly!
What does that opinion have to do with anything that I said? I never made any comparisons to the Xbox or Wii U's lineup for this year.
You didn't? Woops! Then I was thinking about someone else.

Sony Sony Sony .... You do realise all these people are buying your console and a lot of them jumped from the Xbox 360 - how will they feel at the of this cycle for the PS5 considering the PS4 has very little 1st party titles in the 2 years since launch!!

God dammit!

Gurish

Seriously i think this is the worst 2 first years Sony ever had with a console regarding big exclusives, seriously it's literally BB and nothing.

Kyoufu

I'm not sure how people are arriving at the "No TLG at E3 :(" conclusion because House admits that they don't have much scheduled to release this year.

TomShoe

Banned
*Flame shield up* Xbox one has more appealing exclusives than the ps4.

Shocking really when the PS3 was really strong last year, especially towards the later part of the last gen where the 360 was pretty much just a third party machine.

2006 - 2010: 360

2010 - 2014: PS3

Make no mistake, PS tentpole franchises are coming, they're just taking a long time to do so, and I can see how that frustrates people. If we don't have mention of GoW4 or GT7 by the end of the year, I can see a lot of people being upset.

In terms of having a constant presence of it's big IPs, sure. But otherwise, I think it's not that great.

Great holiday presence, but unfortunately everything before that is barren. Outside of Ori, Screamride, and State of Decay, there hasn't been much in the first 9 months of the year.

This is disappointing.

We knew they didn't had a blockbuster for this Holidays, but this confirmation of going third party is just... bleh.

I know business-wise is a great move, but as a consumer I expected more.

Foffy

Banned
I think one should get used to the AAA console industry dying. It's inevitable with the huge consolidation that has been seen.

To somehow think there will a second spring and lots of games are being made again like they were 8 years ago is unrealistic.

It looks to be that way, sadly. It seems Nintendo is able to put more first party games on both 3DS and Wii U, and Sony can't muster just PS4. But not everything from Nintendo directly is treated as AAA in budget and scope; Sony tries to do this for their games, and I don't really think it does them favors.

Star Wars Battlefront

God, I can fucking see it, too. Ugh...

The lack of intriguing first party content is the reason I haven't bought a PS4. I have multiplatform games and more interesting first party games (in my opinion) on my Xbox One (Souls games aren't my thing, so Bloodborne is out of the question). Stuff like The Last of Us and Infamous are cool, but not enough to get me to pull the trigger. Wish Sony would up its first party development a bit.

Make no mistake, PS tentpole franchises are coming, they're just taking a long time to do so, and I can see how that frustrates people. If we don't have mention of GoW4 or GT7 by the end of the year, I can see a lot of people being upset.

Great holiday presence, but unfortunately everything before that is barren. Outside of Ori, Screamride, and State of Decay, there hasn't been much in the first 9 months of the year.

Problem is I can only think of God of war and uncharted which are actually decent first party games now

What am I missing that Sony still has to come ?

Honest question not trying to troll just my mind has drawn a blank

hatchx

Banned
I think when all is said and done, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Battlefront, and MGSV will be the only PS4 games I buy all year.

Which isn't so bad imo. I don't have time to but 10+ games a year on a given console anymore.

wapplew

its unfortunate that many first party studio having internal crisis at the same time frame. ND with Amy Henning thing, SMM with Stig game canceled.
Those two should have ready for this year if none of those happen.

Lemondish

That means people can stop deluding themselves on the notion that Sony has 300 unannounced AAA games for this fall.

But they can look forward to games announcements for 2016 and beyond.

Or they can look forward to the massive titles releasing this fall that aren't exclusive.

While also possibly holding out hope that what House means when he says they worked hard with third party publishers is that we're in for a few third party exclusives.

Destiny will be on stage again, for the 3rd year in a row.

More like

2006-2008: 360 (Mass Effect, Bioshock, Gears, JRPG and Japanese support etc)

2009-2014: PS3 2009 was the year PS3 started reigning with KZ2 and Uncharted 2.

Rad-

MS has better big title lineup for fall however they still have the same problem that is my number 1 issue this gen with every console: not enough interesting new IPs (and by that I mean totally new type of games, for example Bloodborne is a new IP but it's still basically Souls-game). This kills my E3 hype as well because I already know like 90% of games that will get announced will be sequels or remasters.

Bgamer90

Banned

I simply said that MS relied heavily on third party deals/multiplats during the final years of the previous gen and that Sony is doing it now (in the post I'm referring to).

Sony themselves stated a greater emphasis on third party support here so I (again) don't see how people can disagree; They are talking about their own lineup.

I am the last person that any PS4 fan should listen to but humor me on this. Do you honestly think SCEA is going to release an Uncharted game at the beginning of next year?

As proven by Microsoft last Holiday season, only the Q3/4 really matters, as far as sales are concerned. Do you think SCEA would pass up on an opportunity like that just to appease a few 3rd party publishers and their annual games which would sell on the platform regardless?

My advice for this year's E3 would be to temper your expectations by at least a two thirds for the PS4. Unless you like annual 3rd party games...

This has nothing to do with E3 why is it being brought up?
Of course it does. Given the lack of Holiday 2015 announcements to this point, people thought that E3 might present some more titles. This info seems to indicate that is more unlikely. Sure there might be 2016 and later first-party titles on display, but 2015 looks very barren from a first-party front.

Theonik

The PS4 has the weakest exclusive output of all the PS consoles so far. PS3 was mocked for having no games early on but it had more output than PS4.
Yes, but I also think that once Sony managed to make the PS4 synonymous with people buying next gen systems it matters a lot less. The PS3's PR woes didn't start from its games alone. Basically the ball is on MS's court to get people not to buy a PS4 than the other way around.

None of them as good as Bloodborne though.
I will cut you.

Was beyond obvious after this

"I won't go into any detail now," said Gara. "There is plenty for gamers to get excited about already, such as Tearaway for PS4 and No Man's Sky. That's just the start of what is on the table right now. So I don't have any concerns that we will have a lack of strong software for PS4 this peak."

This gen really sucks so far.

Top Bottom