• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Our 1st party lineup a little sparse this year"; emphasis on 3rd party support

You know what, I'll just go ahead and say it.

Even if TLG is announced/released this year, it doesn't somehow magically turn Sony's holiday line-up into amazing. TLG only matters to the hardcore gaming community. It's not in the same realms of mainstream multi-million sellers that get the average gamers riled up like God of War, Uncharted. Gran Turismo.

WILD was never announced with any release year at all. There was no way it's this year. 2016 earliest.

I thought it was in the 2015 reel, but I'm probably wrong. I can't find anything to back my claim, so strike that off the list!

These topics always get too negative, what with people having different tastes, and therefore might not give a shit about Omega Quintet. So I'm just gonna say, search through the lists of games. There's more than just AAA titles.

You have:

First Party Exclusive Titles
Third Party Exclusive Titles
Titles Only Found On A Sony Platform (Or, Sony Exclusive)
Titles Only Found On PS4 In The Console Spectrum (Or, Console Exclusive)

Third party exclusive titles are just as important as first party titles in my eyes. Production values might not be as high, but damn if they aren't just as fun (like Yakuza Ishin, which will never be released in english, but at least it exists).

Sony platform titles are starting to actually contain a sizable difference between the PS3 and/or Vita versions (like Dragon Quest, GGxrd, and Godzilla, the latter allowing people to actually play as other monsters). I hardly ever buy these types of titles for my PS3 because they either cost the same, or are worth the graphical upgrade.

PS4 console titles give people who don't own a decent PC/don't want to play on a PC the chance to experience these games. This is usually rare for a hardcore gamer, but it's still important to the ecosystem.

It's all about variety and hitting as many gamers as possible. Output in some areas goes down while it's spread out to others. That goes for other systems by the way, with variance in some areas.

Problem is I can only think of God of war and uncharted which are actually decent first party games now

What am I missing that Sony still has to come ?

Honest question not trying to troll just my mind has drawn a blank

Well, we know MM, QD, Sony Bend and GG have new IP in development. And GT7 will no doubt happen sooner or later. Probably later. ;)

As for Sony Japan, The Last Guardian (perhaps), Gravity Rush 2 and who knows what else.

OCD Guy

2006 - 2010: 360

2010 - 2014: PS3

Make no mistake, PS tentpole franchises are coming, they're just taking a long time to do so, and I can see how that frustrates people. If we don't have mention of GoW4 or GT7 by the end of the year, I can see a lot of people being upset.

Great holiday presence, but unfortunately everything before that is barren. Outside of Ori, Screamride, and State of Decay, there hasn't been much in the first 9 months of the year.
I hope Microsoft take advantage of this and give people reasons to buy an Xbox one. If they both end up as third party machines there's not many compelling reasons to get an Xbox one in my opinion.

Plus competition is what makes things interesting for consumers. Let's face it Sony almost have no real incentive to keep pushing on. They're killing it right now in terms of sales.

Look at when the PS3 launched, the arrogance where Sony pretty much stated people would be willing to "work two jobs" to buy a PS3, saying we didn't need rumble etc. When they realised that people weren't willing to pay whatever price Sony asked for their console, and sales were poor they had to step things up a gear, therefore adding features, adding rumble back, pushing exclusives, adding ps plus and giving good games so people had a reason to invest.

If the PS3 had killed the 360 it's safe to say it would have been a very different console. Unfortunately things aren't looking good for the Xbox one, I really hope they improve....

barit

So back to playing FFXIV the whole year ... there are worse things in life

But that Uncharted 4 delay bummed me really. Hoped so much to play it this chirstmas

Persona 5 is all that matters

Pretty much.

Its not that ps4 doesnt have exclusives, infact it has more than its competition but its the fact that its 1st party releases are so stagnant this year which is disappointing. Obviously these guys arnt twiddling their thumbs,theyve had games canned and priorities changed that happens, i hope they can manage better going into 2016.

Foffy

Banned
Destiny will be on stage again, for the 3rd year in a row.

tumblr_m5tppnGY7I1qlvwnco1_r1_400.gif

Circinus

Has been sparse for 2 years. Unbelievable, by xmas 2008 "no game" PS3 got 2 entries in Resistance and Motorstorm and so many other exclusives.

I agree. Not to mention, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Warhawk etc.

Don't expect any major first part surprises at E3, then. Fair enough.

Scheduled for 2015. For 2016 might be another story.

So presumably a lot more shitty third party exclusive content this year, it seems. 'cause screw everyone else.

Yay...

I agree. I hope this doesn't prompt them to do moneyhats or anything like that.

Wonder if sparse is being used as a few, one or none. I suppose there will be 3rd party exclusives?

There's Tearaway Unfolded (highly recommend it) and Until Dawn.

And Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Tomorrow Children and a couple of others for digital games.

Persona 5 and No Man's Sky will do me, but even then, I could see those two getting delayed.

Those aren't first-party. ;)

It's really a shame how the last two years have turned out. I invested in the PS4 because of the amazing first-party lineup of the PS3. I feel like that hasn't paid off at all in terms of first-party support. I just don't know what happened. They have/had so many internal studios, but there's been very little released, and what's there is oftentimes pretty average, besides Driveclub (which started out average).

They released a ton of games for PS3 and PS Vita in 2013, so development cycles for a lot of internal studios didn't align for new PS4 games in 2015 I guess.

How many games can one first party studio make in this generation? 1?

~3

Time to triangle my arse.

Sony and its execs seemed to make a right hodge podge of its internal studios at the start of this generation. Cancelled projects left and right, lack of focus, and constant slippage. Remasters abounds to pave over really quite gigantic cracks.

I guess Bloodborne will be their only standout of the year, released in March.

They did great on PS Vita and PS3 I think.

Isn't MS studios' output so far only Forza 5, Kinect Sport Rivals and Halo: MCC?

Their 3rd/2nd party deals are great though.

2nd party games are first-party games essentially. So Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound, Quantum Break are first-party.

The PS3 and the Vita had an amazing year in 2013. It was pretty clear that those first/second party studios would not be releasing games for several years

Just all the more reason why I am jumping to PC as my main Platform of choice. At this point my ps4 will be the same as my ps3; A secondary platform for exclusives and not even close to my primary investment of entertainment dollars.

takriel

2015 had Bloodborne, so it's alright in my book. You couldn't make me happier with a franchise other than Souls (or Zelda).

I got the inside scoop on what Sony will show at E3. A 90 minute recap of Powers season 1. no games only tv now. This is a joke, but i better get a Horizon trailer at E3 or i will be pissed.

Yes Sony's first party line up is sparse this year. But i also do not like Microsoft's strategy of just shoving everything into the tail end of the year, when there is plenty to play.

In my mind, I'm seeing a complete opposite of this thread had a news article being made about Andrew House's statement on E3.

I think that E3 this year will be an exciting show. I think that it will be a show where we see the next generation of hardware really start to deliver great content and great experiences that if not take full advantage of the platform, will a lot more advantage than we’ve seen before.

I think we’re seeing games become bigger experiences, that trend has not changed. I gave a first party example with Bloodborne earlier, I was reading some of the game media reviews on that. Some of the gaming press were calling this “the first proper next-gen title.” I really hope to see more of these experiences emerging at E3.”

Well, we know MM, QD, Sony Bend and GG have new IP in development. And Gt7 will no doubt happen sooner or later. Probably later. ;)

Lol so basically it's going to be a long wait before I get some real action on my PS4 - I don't mind too much really as hopefully gears of war hits this year on XB1 and if the uncharted HD comes then that will keep me happy on the PS front for now

Just doesn't seem much on the horizon, ah well we will see in less than 3 weeks and hopefully it's not full of Q4 2016 dates!

MrHoot

Well yeah, "sparse" is an understatement. They got almost nothing first party wise this year. Bloodborne is pretty much their only heavy hitter for 2015. The Order was as tepid as predicted and Until Dawn is the only thing i'm kinda looking forward too, although I know even that won't hold me for long. And Third party isn't exactly thrilling although still holding the ship together for now.

Hopefully we'll have some surprises this year because yeah, not feeling the hype at all for anyone this year

WinFonda

Eh, it's because Uncharted 4 slipped unexpectedly to 2016.

But Sony would be complete idiots to force a deadline on Naughty Dog, so there ya go. On the bright side, they're not idiots. On the downside, they're lacking a flagship 1st party software release after 2 years on the market. Which would also be easy to call them idiots for, but they've kinda been doing alright without it. It's a rock and a hard place type situation, but the hard place isn't all that hard. In fact it's kinda squishy.

They went against their immediate financial interests for long term stability, at least in terms of maintaining Naughty Dog's studio morale and giving them what they need to produce the best games possible. In the grand scheme of things, it's not going to cost them all that much... and it's really the only logical/sane bet. Especially if they have a truly spectacular 2016. All eyes on you, E3.

Zophar

Sony Sony Sony .... You do realise all these people are buying your console and a lot of them jumped from the Xbox 360 - how will they feel at the of this cycle for the PS5 considering the PS4 has very little 1st party titles in the 2 years since launch!!

God dammit!
What? If people jumped from the 360 they have no attachment to Sony's first party and have no expectations to let down. It also says they didn't care enough about MS first party, either.

What it really says is people are choosing to play Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty on PS4 instead of XB1.

PooBone

Still holding out hope for some 2015 surprises. There's gotta be something coming out besides Until Dawn for the PS4.

Servbot24

Banned
Even if they announced a big AAA game for this year, it would still be a sparse line up.

I don't think even that will happen though.

Still holding out hope for some 2015 surprises. There's gotta be something coming out besides Until Dawn for the PS4.

Persona, NMS, Tearaway, Witness, Rime and a few others all look much better than Until Dawn imo.

RK128

I think the main reason for a lack of first party support is from issues from internal studios :(.

I mean, we all know what happened to Stig's new IP from Santa Monica (RIP X() and how Sony Bend had three pitches scrapped for the Vita; for all we know, this type of issue happened to Sony's other studios in an attempt to get games running on PS4 :l.

I think what Sony's plans are this:
-E3 they announced God of War IV, Uncharted Collection and GG's New IP. Only Uncharted comes this year, with GOW coming in summer 2016 and GG's New IP being the big fall 2016 game.
-Uncharted 4 releases after GOWIV
-Ratchet releases alongside the upcoming film (early 2016)
-Sony Bend, Media Molicure and another studio announce their new IP's in Gamescom; all of them releasing 2016
-More PS3/Vita ports coming this fall; Beyond Two Souls and Heavy Rain come in a bundle this fall for PS4, Ratchet Future Trilogy comes this fall as well, Puppetter comes early 2016 to PS4
-Evolution continues to support DriveClub; hints at future Motorstorm game at E3
-Ready at Dawn and From Software continue to work with Sony; the former makes Order 2 for 2017 while the latter makes DLC expansions throughout this year and next year.

Just a few guess at what Sony might do; I feel that a number of their internal studios are gearing up for 2016/2017, explaining why this release line up for 2015 feels sparse. Lets up my guesses are right and that we get some great announcements this year for PS4 :D.

Foffy

Banned
Well yeah, "sparse" is an understatement. They got almost nothing first party wise this year. Bloodborne is pretty much their only heavy hitter for 2015. The Order was as tepid as predicted and Until Dawn is the only thing i'm kinda looking forward too, although I know even that won't hold me for long. And Third party isn't exactly thrilling although still holding the ship together for now.

Hopefully we'll have some surprises this year because yeah, not feeling the hype at all for anyone this year

Microsoft has it kind of safe. They have Halo and Gears of War. With Uncharted and Zelda both being 2016, they left major voids in the fall.

Nintendo is at least trying to patch it up very poorly, by holding out Yoshi's Wooly World in North America until the fall, and relying on Mario Maker as their big game. Both 3DS and Vita are wastelands for first party support this year, and given the response Sony gave of Vita, it's already being thrown away.

Well, we know MM, QD, Sony Bend and GG have new IP in development. And GT7 will no doubt happen sooner or later. Probably later. ;)

As for Sony Japan, The Last Guardian (perhaps), Gravity Rush 2 and who knows what else.

Don't forget Everybody's Golf 7 from ClapHandz! Anyone? I really love that series, hope it gets the exposure it deserves at E3.

wapplew

If you only count internal studio, only MLB, half remaster Tearaway and full master GOW3.

Lol so basically it's going to be a long wait before I get some real action on my PS4 - I don't mind too much really as hopefully gears of war hits this year on XB1 and if the uncharted HD comes then that will keep me happy on the PS front for now

Just doesn't seem much on the horizon, ah well we will see in less than 3 weeks and hopefully it's not full of Q4 2016 dates!

It all depends what you want to play. I'm still getting loads out of Bloodborne and am looking forward to smaller, but interesting (to me) games like Rime and The Tomorrow Children. That and Phantom Pain and Persona are more than enough for me this year. And the Bloodborne expansion of course, that's the thing I want most this year.

witness

Whelp, I'm ready for yet another year of the 3rd party and indie show for Sony at E3. WTF is wrong with their 1st party studios? Why is nothing ready? I think Sony supporting the PS3 for as long as they did really screwed the PS4 over. Sony got so lucky with MS's screw ups and capturing that zeitgeist. This is really disappointing.

TomShoe

Banned
Problem is I can only think of God of war and uncharted which are actually decent first party games now

What am I missing that Sony still has to come ?

Honest question not trying to troll just my mind has drawn a blank

The most definitive list is here, but here's a short summary:

Naughty Dog: Uncharted 4

Studio Santa Monica: God of War 4

Polyphony Digital: Gran Turismo 7

Guerilla Games: Horizon(?)

Guerilla Cambridge: Possibly taking over Killzone

Sony Bend: Open World Horror IP

Sucker Punch: New Open World Game (Infamous SS just came out)

Media Molecule: Tearaway Unfoleded & a New IP

Evolution: Continued Driveclub support

Japan Studio: TLG(rofl), Gravity Rush 2(?), Other junk in partnership with 3rd parties

Sony London & North West: Morpheus stuff

Pixel Opus: Indie stuff

xDev: 3rd party collabs

MrHoot

Microsoft has it kind of safe. They have Halo and Gears of War. With Uncharted and Zelda both being 2016, they left major voids in the fall.

Nintendo is at least trying to patch it up very poorly, by holding out Yoshi's Wooly World in North America until the fall, and relying on Mario Maker as their big game. Both 3DS and Vita are wastelands for first party support this year, and given the response Sony gave of Vita, it's already being thrown away.

Yeah, vita is always my biggest gripe. I fucking love the thing. Usually when nothing comes out on it i balance it out on the 3ds or wii u but eeeh...at least splatoon comes out and i'm still addicted to bloodborne

If anything, this might be a year where i'll be more productive maybe =p

Servbot24

Banned
I really hope Sony resolves this by 2016. I bought a PS4 because Sony has a great reputation for 1st party content. If roles are reversed this gen I'll be getting a XB1.

I think the SSM cancellation and the Uncharted delay blew two giant holes in their first party road map.

It's a shame what's been happening. I'm not sure if it's bad management or just bad luck, but looking at games like the Order and Driveclub and the many millions rumored to have been sunk into Stig's project, it seems they wanted to continue the first party success they enjoyed last generation, but due to poor execution, like the Order's general mediocrity and Driveclub's delays and troubled launch, they haven't been able to pull it off.

I hope they turn things around. Sony's first parties are probably 50%+ of why I bought a ps4.

Like many said I'd be happy with persona 5 and some good third party.

I have an Xbox one too so there's going to be lots of Halo, Forza, and hopefully some Gears this holiday.

Well, the thing is that Nintendo already had Smash and Mario Kart last year, which are their huge one-a-generation titles.

This year's Nintendo so far, feels very much "Sony-ish", in that they have a lot of retail games, but most aren't the "BIG IP" games that get people hot and bothered.

I think he is being a little hard on themselves. They have had The Order, Bloodborne, MLB the Show, Until Dawn in August, Tearaway hopefully soon after, and maybe something else for the holidays. On top of that a lot of downloadables. May not be what everyone was expecting, but hey if The Last Guardian is released this year or Persona 5 then color me satisfied.

I think the main reason for a lack of first party support is from issues from internal studios :(.

I mean, we all know what happened to Stig's new IP from Santa Monica (RIP X() and how Sony Bend had three pitches scrapped for the Vita; for all we know, this type of issue happened to Sony's other studios in an attempt to get games running on PS4 :l.

I think what Sony's plans are this:
-E3 they announced God of War IV, Uncharted Collection and GG's New IP. Only Uncharted comes this year, with GOW coming in summer 2016 and GG's New IP being the big fall 2016 game.
-Uncharted 4 releases after GOWIV
-Ratchet releases alongside the upcoming film (early 2016)
-Sony Bend, Media Molicure and another studio announce their new IP's in Gamescom; all of them releasing 2016
-More PS3/Vita ports coming this fall; Beyond Two Souls and Heavy Rain come in a bundle this fall for PS4, Ratchet Future Trilogy comes this fall as well, Puppetter comes early 2016 to PS4
-Evolution continues to support DriveClub; hints at future Motorstorm game at E3
-Ready at Dawn and From Software continue to work with Sony; the former makes Order 2 for 2017 while the latter makes DLC expansions throughout this year and next year.

Just a few guess at what Sony might do; I feel that a number of their internal studios are gearing up for 2016/2017, explaining why this release line up for 2015 feels sparse. Lets up my guesses are right and that we get some great announcements this year for PS4 :D.

I think Horizon will be out before God of War IV. I wouldn't be surprised if the latter is a 2017 game.

Top Bottom