• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Our 1st party lineup a little sparse this year"; emphasis on 3rd party support

At Sony's 2015 Investor Relations Day today, Sony Computer Entertainment president and global CEO Andrew House detailed the company's strategy for the coming year, including how it will address some shortcomings.

House began his presentation on a positive note, talking up PlayStation 4 as "the fastest selling hardware platform in our history," showing better-than expected growth and pushing PlayStation Plus subscriptions to twice what they were in fiscal year 2013. He said the company has a competitive advantage for the moment, and laid out three ways it hopes to maintain that. In addition to next year's launch of the Project Morpheus virtual reality headset and continued cost reduction efforts, House said the company needs quality software.

"We are working very hard to continue very strong support from third-party pubs and devs," House said. "Our first-party lineup is a little sparse this year, so I think this places even greater emphasis on getting good third-party support."
"I would characterize 2015 as the beginning of a harvest period for the PlayStation 4 platform," House said. "The beginning of a harvest period. That being said, we are also undertaking to invest in the future, and 2015 will also be a year of investment."
Via GamesIndustry.biz

SgtCobra

It was also a little sparse last year, but hey, we got Bloodborne and I've got other systems so that means less time for my PS4 and more for the others.

We all know what sells consoles though.

Hugstable

Banned
Cool of them to straight up say it since it was pretty known already. Hopefully that means tons of great games early next year. At least Tearaway is this year! Not surprising at all though

delSai

Probably a good idea. There's enough to play and the games at the end of the year would just destroy the exclusives.

TraBuch

Banned
In a way, it's kinda disappointing that the system is selling so well despite generally poor first-party support.

On the other hand, Microsoft isn't doing much better, if at all.

That's fine. All the games I'm looking forward to this year are 3rd party anyway, I doubt I'd have the time to play any more games. Don't really care for Uncharted so that delay didn't bother me.

Flarin

Bummer :p Are these all the rest of their 2015 releases?

God of War III Remastered
Until Dawn
Tearaway Unfolded

Damn yeah that is sparse.

It was a little sparse last year too :(

this and at launch, sad thing is some of the games lacked in quality too, I haven't played a game as boring as Shadowfall in years, thankfully Mercenary on the Vita was much much better, and its the fact they pratically abandoned first party on the vita too that makes this even more annoying. I did like Knack though.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Who needs more games when MGS V hits in September ( ͠° ͜ʖ ͡°)ง

Jomjom

Banned
Yay maybe I don't need to argue with crazy people anymore who believe there's somehow going to be a big surprise for this year. When your CEO says "a little sparse" that should be read as "we have almost nothing" on the 1st party front. They obviously have to sugarcoat things a bit.

Shu needs to get a bit more forceful with WWS.

Agree deadlines with developers and be fair. Crack skulls if they let you down.

Looks like I'll have to make do with downloadable games for the rest of the year. Hoping Rime and The Witness come out this year.

Begaria

Not really a big fan of Sony's 1st party outside of Naughty Dog and a few of their smaller games like Rime. I'm more interested in seeing what Sony does with that 3rd party support and for my niche RPGs. I wonder if this means no big 1st party reveals at E3 this year?

Indeed. Look how MS dominated Sony in NA with the 360 with the same plan.

No worries.

On 360 they started very well particularly as they locked down/got console exclusives just by being first, a lot of third party content for that year, from launch (PDZ, PGR3, COD etc) to the March period (Oblivion) to the holidays (Gears) and the entirety of 2007 for instance (from Lost Planet's western launch in January to Mass Effect in November) was huge, then after management changes MS took their foot off the gas and focused on Kinect.

I don't think PS4 (or Xbox One) has hit that sort of line-up yet

Portugeezer

I don't know, they gave us the 1886 and Bloodborne, people just always like to look at what is next. I expect at least one big first party holiday title, surely?

I guess you don't play games if they are released on more than one system.

Or 3rd party exclusives.

I don't know, they gave us the 1886 and Bloodborne, people just always like to look at what is next. I expect at least one big first party holiday title, surely?

It's possible. They already have Tomorrow Children and Rime coming probably this Fall/Winter. It would be real nice if they hyped up WiLD and got that out this year. It looks conceptually incredible.

You know things are serious when executives are admitting to there being problems. Granted, sparse isn't that horrible a state of affairs, but it's still noteworthy that they are admitting it and not trying to talk around it.

They could really use a last guardian this year. I'd settle for GT7 reveal for early 2016 release.

Bummer :p Are these all the rest of their 2015 releases?

God of War III Remastered
Until Dawn
Tearaway Unfolded

Damn yeah that is sparse.

And two of them will be already out by this summer.

Though NMS got bumped to first-party-level of marketing, so there's that (but still just a timed-exclusive I assume)

Not really a big fan of Sony's 1st party outside of Naughty Dog and a few of their smaller games like Rime. I'm more interested in seeing what Sony does with that 3rd party support and for my niche RPGs. I wonder if this means no big 1st party reveals at E3 this year?

There will most likely be reveals just none slated for this year.

Has been sparse for 2 years. Unbelievable, by xmas 2008 "no game" PS3 got 2 entries in Resistance and Motorstorm and so many other exclusives.

Top Bottom