• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 2016: 3.5M PS4, Game division posts 44 billion yen operating profit

Great results and I agree that Sony Pictures need to step there game up, one thing I never understood is with the PlayStation division owning so many IPs why Sony Pictures don’t take advantage of that and make movies based on them.

I’m not talking about the low budget low effort Ratchet and Heavenly sword stuff but just go all out with a medium to big budget game movies directed and written by good people

That would have got them at least a few hits they could expand on.

The Last of Us and Uncharted are both in development hell as movies, IIRC.

QaaQer

Since the topic of Sony, Samsung and their history has come up, I figured I might ask something I'd heard about. I'd heard back in the day Sony and Samsung shared a manufacturing facility for LCD TV panels. Sony had the superior tech and through this facility Samsung were able to steal/borrow info from Sony to improve their tech.

Anyone know if that was true?

Samsung doesn't steal/borrow tech. They just hire people who aren't overly concerned with any non-compete agreements they may hve signed, lol.

Sony Pictures need a complete shakeup. Way too much mediocrity and it feels like there's no cohesive studio vision anywhere close to something like Universal.

Donos

The Last of Us and Uncharted are both in development hell as movies, IIRC.

Well, what works well in games and is "unique" there but in the movie business it's just another Adventure Quartermain/Indy and post-apoc/Zombie flick.

My gf would still not know what UC or TLOU is when they would plaster the high Metacritic score of them on the Movie Posters.

Well, what works well in games and is "unique" there is in movie business just another Adventure Quartermain/Indy and post-apoc/Zombie flick.

My gf would still not know what UC or TLOU is when they would plaster the high Metacritic score of them on the Movie Posters.

Still the fact that they can't get a zombie movie off the ground shows how bad they are .
Most of the time zombies movies are cheap to make and should not take long to get done .

Bastables

MisterR

Not sure why. PS4 was up most months this year compared to last with the big exception being June due to the lack of big releases.

Overall in the NA up until now, it's still sold just slightly more then last year even with the June drop taken into account.

Wishful thinking on their part.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Tbh the real MVP is PSN (Network Services), revenue +37% YoY to 146bn Yen (isn't that more then 2x that Nintendo (66bn Yen) made in it's entirety?). Wonder how long they can sustain that growth.

Tbh the real MVP is PSN (Network Services), revenue +37% YoY to 146bn Yen (isn't that more then 2x that Nintendo (66bn Yen) made in it's entirety?). Wonder how long they can sustain that growth.

It'll be sustained so long as PS4 install base is still growing and healthy.

Realistically it'll only slow down at the tail end of PS4's life.

ethomaz

Banned
I must have missed the Microsoft quarterly report thread. Do we really have confirmation that the XB1 was down compared to the same timeframe as last year? I wouldn't be surprised since the XB1 has been done notably YoY in the US, but did Microsoft release shipment numbers or is it guesswork?

Revenue based guesswork.
What MS said...

Gaming revenue decreased $152 million or 9%, primarily due to lower Xbox hardware revenue, offset in part by higher revenue from Xbox Live. Xbox hardware revenue decreased 33%, mainly due to a decline in consoles sold and lower prices of consoles sold. Xbox Live revenue increased 4%, driven by higher volume of transactions and revenue per transaction.

I don't see how "consoles sold" can be translated to revenue.

I must have missed the Microsoft quarterly report thread. Do we really have confirmation that the XB1 was down compared to the same timeframe as last year? I wouldn't be surprised since the XB1 has been done notably YoY in the US, but did Microsoft release shipment numbers or is it guesswork?

Microsoft said that Xbox hardware sales were down 33% YoY and gave the old "slowing 360 sales" excuse but it's not hard to figure out that there was no way it was all 360's. The Xbox division was down 9% as well btw.

Edit: Beat like the Xbone and I misremembered the reason, my bad.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
For the Playstation Brand, right on Sony, but for the whole company of Sony, If I were an investor, I'd be like "WTF, how about the rest of the divisions"?? I don't know how long Sony wants to put everything on that Golden Basket of Eggs named Playstation. The party bus will eventually stop.

As an "actual investor" in Sony I am delighted. As most people here have correctly charted the success of the PS4 it is not surprising. The questions people here are asking is how successful? Will it reach the dizzy heights of PS2? With the mid-gen hardware uptick and the incoming arrival of PS VR, then it is not unimaginable.

PlayStation leading the Sony vanguard is expected & needed! You can only get so excited about "this years TV model" and the content generation side will always be ups and downs.

I believe Sony is showing massive foresight by attempting to bring a new medium (VR) to mass market. And *that* is why I invested. Being in the ground floor of a new medium, able to put in in 10's of millions of homes worldwide sets them up well!

The fact that the Japanese economy of pushing for exports and the fact the pound has crashed vs the yen/dollar has meant a double win for UK investors. Nearly 30% up since the beginning of the year... and that is BEFORE PS VR. I am in it for the long haul. Sony have changed a lot in the last 10 years and seem to be quite nimble these days compared to the past. They have a good base to grow from and I believe it all looks good for the next 2-3 years, at least.

And yeah - for videogames stocks I would trust NeoGAF ahead to Pachter :)

Oersted

wont last. They have no mobile games, no pachinko, no gatcha, no card packs, and no hats. It's like they don't have any addiction psychologists or in-game economists on staff.

Sony founded a studio to develop mobile games, the first one, "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" just got released.

It underperformed, so I guess that explains why you didn't notice.

Scrawnton

Now Sony, please announce NEO soon because I'm itching for a 4K Blu Ray player and I'm considering giving my money to Microsoft.

Felessan

Kinda of bodes badly for the rest of the company, doesn't it?
Actually, Playstation is only 33% of Sony profits. There are also a bunch of non-performing segments that make it looks like it so big when you compare PS number vs Net number.
Playstation is big, but do not forget evergreen cash cow of Sony - Financial Services, that really drag it through trouble times.

Lol I know. But if they only make £153m each quarter, they'll be massively down on last year for the full financial year.
For consumer electronics companies holiday quarter are much bigger than other quarters and it's when they make most of sales/profit.

Felessan

wont last. They have no mobile games, no pachinko, no gatcha, no card packs, and no hats. It's like they don't have any addiction psychologists or in-game economists on staff.
They have a mobile game that is consistently stays in top10 in Japan - Fate/Grand Order.
It's their music department venture though (Aniplex), not a gaming one.

Wasn't hardware 9% down? I thought someone calculated the number based on this info.

That was overall Xbox gaming division revenue.
Look a bit above in ethomaz post.

Edit, I'll throw in the VentureBeat quote from the MS thread:

Microsoft’s gaming division is in a slump, and it’s hoping to claw its way out with new hardware coming in August.

Xbox and gaming revenue for Microsoft decreased $152 million during its fiscal fourth quarter. That’s a 9 percent year-over-year decline for the three-month period from April through June. Microsoft points to a decline in consoles sold and a lower average price for the Xbox One as the big reason. That includes some declines for the aging Xbox 360, but the Xbox One is the biggest factor for Microsoft at this time. Console gaming a huge part of the $99.6 billion worldwide gaming industry, but Microsoft is looking to take it on by also combining that segment with its PC-gaming efforts. The company is also planning to launch the slimmer Xbox One S starting at $300 early next month after announcing it in mid-June.

driver116

June should be pretty big for them too...

Bad_Boys_3.png

ci1w6pkwgaas0ig-jpg-large.jpg

For the Playstation Brand, right on Sony, but for the whole company of Sony, If I were an investor, I'd be like "WTF, how about the rest of the divisions"?? I don't know how long Sony wants to put everything on that Golden Basket of Eggs named Playstation. The party bus will eventually stop.

Yea not to sound like a negative Nancy but you're absolutely right. PlayStation is the driver of the majority of its profits, and that is a testament to how far along Sony has come with PlayStation since the PS3 days and how well they have performed this gen.

It is also an indictment on how poorly the rest of their divisions have performed.

Sony will benefit greatly from Spider-man Homecoming next year.

They finally got good upcoming releases, after a few mediocre years.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?view2=upcoming&view=parent&studio=sony.htm

Not all movies are going to be critically well received, but even things like the next Resident Evil and underworld will probably do well financially.
The Dark Tower, Bad Boys 3, Inferno, Magnificent Seven, Sausage Party, Spider Man, Jumanji, ... should easily make a profit.

They know that, that's why PS Now is probably going to be very important in the future. When the console sales are going down dramatically, probably in a few generations, they can easily pull a switch and make PS Now available on everything and have a big games library and platform available that people know and trust.
Even in a future where streaming is everywhere, there is a need for a platform where indie devs or even smaller gaming companies like Bethesda can put their stuff on.
Off-topic, but imagine what Uncharted 5 would sell if just everyone could stream it to their TV or mobile device, without the need for a specific hardware box.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Amazing results.

To the guy mentioning low quarter results. If you ever hang out in NPD predictions and results threads you would know some quarters are better than others.

Holiday time is always a big one.

And lol at ppl not catching the Sony Doomed bait. And those that actually believe it.

Can they make some more studios with all this cash, instead of putting them down like ES? :S They're on cloud 9 right now though. You can just tell just based on their E3 conference. The swag and confidence they had on that show.. Move it to a fantastic location, and have epic orchestra throughout the entire conference. Incredible. On top of that, they've been consistently doing 4 conferences a year since the PS4 came out. They are back to PS1/PS2 level of domination I reckon.

Top Bottom