• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 2016: 3.5M PS4, Game division posts 44 billion yen operating profit

Asd202

Didn't you hear though Sony is overshipping consoles and MS is slashing the price of X1 every month to be more consumer friendly. So I'm sure the gap isn't all that big.

What? Retailers wouldn't be carrying consoles if it wasn't selling especially in these quarters also MS is not slashing the price to be consumer friendly they're doing it mostly to clear stock for S and it's probably not selling as good as they would have liked.

What? Retailers wouldn't be carrying consoles if it wasn't selling especially in these quarters also MS is not slashing the price to be consumer friendly they're doing it mostly to clear stock for S and it's probably not selling as good as they would have liked.
I think he was being sarcastic lol.. If the other poster is correct that the Q difference is 5:1 between the two consoles ..

giphy.gif

Ridley327

SCIE is really carrying the entire company at this point. It's always surprising that they don't cut any of the bigger money losers, but I guess they'd lose a lot of face if they dropped anything major like the TV division or, god forbid, the film division.

vpance

And why do you think there was such a big drop from then and now? just because their profitsdropped off a cliff? no, it was because of that disaster which they could not control.

Concern trolling is too serious right now

Yep. And the strong yen didn't help matters either.

Analysts were actually expecting a loss this quarter, so they beat expectations.

SCIE is really carrying the entire company at this point. It's always surprising that they don't cut any of the bigger money losers, but I guess they'd lose a lot of face if they dropped anything major like the TV division or, god forbid, the film division.

They have drop or cut down the parts that were losing money .
For eg TVs they now going for low numbers but high profit compare to before where they went for market share .
The film division is a hit or miss depending on the year .
Next year look like they should make some money from it .

wapplew

What money loser? Almost all devisions are in the black this quarter.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Back At the start of the year, i expected 2.5m For PS4 first quarter of year and 3.5m the second.

Then it did a bit worse than expect ( first quarter ~2.3m ) and in general it did worse than i expect in USA during the Second quarter.

So after that i was expect PS4 to be flat, if not a bit down YOY this time ( ~3m ).

In the end my original 3.5m was more correct btw. Very nice results.

Wonder How is sell trought. It was 40 million by the Third week of May, a week after Uncharted 4.

I think it's likely 40.7/40.8 million by end of June.

Sony as a whole is still faltering in comparison to some of the other tech companies, but they're doing quite well in their games department.

Sony pictures really needs to lift up their game :/

Yeah, and considering Ghostbusters had a development cost of 150 mollion plus probably another 150 million in marketing....it looks like Sony Pictures is going to fuck it up for Playstation again.

Also, isn't the head of sony pictures Amy Pascal racist or something? An email leaked that had her making fun of Obama being black. What a top tier bitch.

Also, isn't the head of sony pictures Amy Pascal racist or something? An email leaked that had her making fun of Obama being black. What a top tier bitch.

Sony ended up firing her. But all you're seeing right now is still her work. Someone mentioned earlier that Kaz has restructured things but we won't see the results of that for another two or three years.

Sony ended up firing her. But all you're seeing right now is still her work. Someone mentioned earlier that Kaz has restructured things but we won't see the results of that for another two or three years.

Ok good. I remember being appalled at how she wasn't immediately fired for saying, rather, typing all that vile shit.

Ridley327

She managed to get a seat at the table for the upcoming Spider-Man projects, but nothing that will impact the day-to-day actions at Sony Pictures.

Tom Rothman has a strong reputation as a penny-pincher, so we'll see how that plays out.

Gothos

Game division - 44 bilions profits
Sony profits - 21 billions

How that makes PlayStation division 78% profits of the company?

(I'm economy noob :>)

jjonez18

Neat. Was not expecting YoY increases and profits. . I guess all the "dedicated gaming is doomed" in the NPD, PAL, and Media Create threads got me doubting the one product that's actually doing well.

Apathy

Really glad kaz took over and made gaming the focus since he came from that division. I'd imagine if they had fine with a CEO from one if the other divisions the PlayStation brand would have taken a huge hit

phant0m

Kinda of bodes badly for the rest of the company, doesn't it?

Innovation just isn't there, and electronics overall are cheaper and more reliable than in the past. They are no longer THE "premium" brand that can demand higher prices. Samsung & LG both give them a run for their money in TVs and Mobile. PC OEM is a race to the bottom, so they got out of that.

Also, no one buys standalone music players anymore. Their image sensors are very good, but no one buys digital cameras now except professionals and old people (yes I know their sensors are used in iPhones, but they made a lot more money selling digital compacts than bulk sensors to Apple). Basically, smartphones ate a lot of their lunch and they started making good phones WAY too late.

IMO, they need to dig deep on mobile gaming and make a PlayStation-branded controller like this:

MCB31268_CTRLI_micro_GB_005_lg.jpg

And bring as much of the PSP + Vita library as they can to iOS/Android. I know they tried it with exclusive stuff to Xperia phones, but it was half-assed trash and no one bought Xperia phones anyway.

Aceofspades

Banned

Game division 44 billion in Revenues (not profit).

The other number is net profit (after deducting costs)

ethomaz

Banned

You are comparing two different things...

Sony is net income (the real profit) while the game is the operating income (the profit for a division without accounting for a lot of expenses. The operational incoming for Sony was 56 billion... 44 billion is indeed 78%.

Sony Operating Income: 56.2 billion
Game Operation Income: 44 billion

Sony Net Income (Profit): 21.2 billion

Game division 44 billion in Revenues (not profit).

The other number is net profit (after deducting costs)
No. It is not revenue.

Game Revenue was 330.4 billion
Operating Income is indeed profit but without deducting some costs shared with the company or others divisions (that is why the real profit, Net Income, is only calculated for the whole Company).

Sony is doing well, but others not so much, all together console gaming still not save.

I think console gaming will be find .
Just that only one company will get a lot of sales from it .
Last gen was such a outlier in many ways .
I don't expect any growth from it hardware wise, just more consolidation .

I would agree if the NEO was not coming out cutting into its sales. Unless NEO gets lumped into "ps4" sales.

Of course it will, Sony have made a point several times of saying neo is a PS4. I could see Sony releasing a PR statement about the amount of Neo's preordered, but going forward I am sure they will lump all PS4(neo's) together.

Metal B

I think console gaming will be find .
Just that only one company will get a lot of sales from it .
Last gen was such a outlier in many ways .
How can you say that, if Nintendo next product will be a hybrid? For them going console only, doesn't work anymore. On the other hand Sony (properly) stops producing handhelds and Microsoft looks like to focus more on PC gaming as the generation before. The market gets smaller and tighter.

How can you say that, if Nintendo next product will be a hybrid? For them going console only, doesn't work anymore. On the other hand Sony (properly) stops producing handhelds and Microsoft looks like to focus more on PC gaming as the generation before. The market gets smaller and tighter.

I am talking about home consoles .
Plus like i added on to my next post I don't expect any growth from it hardware wise, just more consolidation .

Dude you're citing market cap (literally what people/market/ think feel a share is worth=subjective valuation), that's not the same thing as being in a class of corporation that has/had large interests in Heavy industry/defence/shipbuilding

Your argument is as inane as comparing GE with Apple.

You are in a thread about financial results yet you want to compare the companies based on their ability to build military defence and ships?!?!

Lmao you must be very young indeed. That's not how these threads work.

Unknown?

According to NPD, half a million in the US. So not more than 750K worldwide.

And people were wondering why they keep dropping the price! The slim will surely give it a boost but won't sustain any higher margin, not without games to back it up and they don't really have those games.

You could say Sony orchestrated their 2017 victory at this years E3.

Hmmm just like they orchestrated their 2016 victory at last years shows? :D Oh but MS won because they showed us all what we already knew was coming out!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Remember how dead console gaming was predicted to be back in 2013? How the Wii U was a sign of things to come?

X3494UI.gif

Ah yes. The articles saying that based on Wii U sales, reception. Then you had the don't read anything into the initial PS4 launch sales.

Very good for games but doesn't look good for the rest.

Not that surprising Sony is cleaning up on software, just looking at the UK breakdown where Xbox is doing "well", PS4 is dominating the UK software despite all the claims from pro Xbox people that low consoles sales is not affecting games sales and Xbox gamers usually buy more games. Just imagine how well Sony is doing worldwide in software.

Top Bottom