• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q2 FY13: PS3 2.0 M

Road

Then the data from sony are inconsistent or they draw an unlikely scenario.
i know that sold is usually shipped but not always.

They shipped 3 millions from april september so they should have announced the 80 millions some week ago.
This is not counting half february, march and october ps3 shipments.

When did Sony say they were at 77 million?

There was an exec who said 75 million in February, but I must have missed the 77 million one.

They shipped 3 millions from april september so they should have announced the 80 millions some week ago.

What? We haven't gotten pure PS3 numbers in ages. For about a year its been PS2 + PS3. I don't know what inconsistentc you speak of.

BKK

PS2 ended production in January 2013.
PS2 shipments no longer included in Sony's financials since April 2013.
PS2 available in India until November 2013.

Seems that all remaining production shipments of PS2 were booked in FY12 Q4 as retail shipments. Sony never shipped anywhere near 3.4m PS3s in Q4 before.

lefantome

"I think we’re at 77 million sold right now".

The guy hasn't even sure about the figure.

PS2 ended production in January 2013.
PS2 shipments no longer included in Sony's financials since April 2013.
PS2 available in India until November 2013.

Seems that all remaining production shipments of PS2 were booked in FY12 Q4 as retail shipments. Sony never shipped anywhere near 3.4m PS3s in Q4 before.

Well even without counting 1and a half month from q1, it should be above 80 millions anyway.

I know it's sony vs sony this is why i was saying their data are inconsistent.

Anyway ps2 shipping more than 3.5 millions in fy12 with probably being a bit down yoy is a lot. Why did they kill ps2 already? It was selling a lot more than the wii u.

allan-bh

I don't think is case of inconsistency.

One thing is an official press release, other is an executive giving a number that he isn't sure.

Tretton's number in february is wrong, this is clear now.

lefantome

I don't think is case of inconsistency.

One thing is an official press release, other is an executive giving a number that he isn't sure.

Tretton's number in february is wrong, this is clear now.

Well he's ceo of scea and it doesn't know ps3 sales? That's bad.

Btw do we have the press release available?

BKK

Well even without counting 1and a half month from q1, it should be above 80 millions anyway.

Anyway ps2 shipping more than 3.5 millions in fy12 with probably being a bit down yoy is a lot. Why did they kill ps2 already? It was selling a lot more than the wii u.

Tretton was going off of the top of his head, he could have been using production shipments, rounding, have simply been mistaken, or any combination of the above. Financial reports and press releases are in black and white and unambiguous with clearly defined definitions.

My point about PS2 shipments is that those likely aren't just FY12 shipments, but also FY13 shipments brought forward.

No they are fudging numbers for stockholders.

Nintendo can also can do this 3DS 185mln (-DS)

Sony just doesn't have any real handheld ip that will sell bazillion. They also don't care about it from first party dev perspective and mostly port games for it instead of creating actually new IPs from ground up.

Simply put Sony devs are still to small to release ton of games on PS4 AND their portable systems.

They need to build 4-5 handheld only studios witch each one having two teams. GG or MM additions are fantastic but i doubt GG or MM want to create Vita only games.

They're not small at all, they have far more studios and staff at each studio than Nintendo. The difference is that Nintendo rotate most of their teams between console and handheld, so that you get a couple of year splurge of games and then the support dries off. Whereas Sony puts most of their teams to work on console titles at all times and the few remaining make handheld ones.

For as well as they're doing with the PS4, they're still making the same idiotic mistakes with the Vita.

Top Bottom