• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY12: $400M Net Income; PS3/PS2 16.5M; Vita/PSP 5M forecast

QaaQer

Are you incapable of following your own conversation?

Me: Companies that are healthy dont try to obfuscate their numbers. They don't suddenly start combining product lines for reporting purposes, they don't stick a bunch of asset sales into operating profits, etc. "fool people" is as good a term as any.

You: Financial results are manipulated only by criminals.

Me: Financial reports are manipulated by everyone.

You: And 'manipulation' has a more sinister connetation in the financial world, more akin to 'irregularities'.

You brought up the word "manipulation". If you think it's such a bad word then you shouldn't have brought it up.

No, I live in the US. What does that have to do with anything at all?

Japanese company, Japanese rules: getting the sku breakdown between psp and vita would raise zero eyebrows as it is is inconsequential.

but whatever, I gotta go. :)

SPDIF

in which world are you living? PC sales fell 14% last quarter. This quarter, it will be even worse. PCs/handhelds are being replaced by smartphones and tablets. That is a phenomenon which cant be stopped.

Many companies invested billions in Nortel and Worldtel too. Nokia chose Windows 8 and are on the brink of imminent death. Lumia increased Windows share by a whisker in the mobile domain, only to see its mother brand die

Cloud computing just like those apple /samsung phones will gain steam all of a sudden. We are talking about paradigm shift here. Old /unrefined tech being replaced by superior ones

On topic, some people are still thinking that SONY shipped a large amount of ps2s last quarter when they stopped its production in Dec 2012

And Microsoft, along with Amazon, are on the forefront of cloud computing with Azure, which has just joined their "billion dollar business club".

MS != just Windows and Office.

On topic, it's nice to see Sony finally make a profit after all these years. Although I do wonder what sort of effect the PS4 launch will have on them.

jcm

Japanese company, Japanese rules: getting the sku breakdown between psp and vita would raise zero eyebrows as it is is inconsequential.

but whatever, I gotta go. :)

Sony has an ADR listed on the NYSE, which makes them subject to Regulation FD, which prohibits companies from selectively disclosing material nonpublic information to analysts, institutional investors, and others without concurrently making widespread public disclosure.

Limit

Right now I see only one way for Sony to truly save Vita. Add ebook, kindle, and pdf format support, get Amazon book storefront on there, make the screen size just a wee bit larger (add 2 inches), and market Vita as a straight up Tablet. It will do gangbusters.

Right now I see only one way for Sony to truly save Vita. Add ebook, kindle, and pdf format support, get Amazon book storefront on there, make the screen size just a wee bit larger (add 2 inches), and market Vita as a straight up Tablet. It will do gangbusters.

If people want a tablet, they'll buy a tablet, not something with six buttons and two sticks.

They have a new system they've been paying costs for without being able to sell it yet, prepping for launch is very expensive

True.

We're now beginning to see the bigger financial picture for them in the next few years and it is critical that they make a profit or the whole thing could go under.

Crawl

How much cash does sony have banked if things start to go bad? People always talk about nintendo's warchest, but what is sony's warchest look like?

Spiegel

How does it help investors that Sony shows detailed Nintendo sales but not their own?

They do?

And the PS2+PS3 and PSP+PSV is an obvious and shitty cover up practice, but they could probably lump all hardware sales together and investors wouldn't think much about it.

It's not like they offer detailed breakdown on TV models, phones or anything.

There's a big difference between Nintendo (only a gaming company) and Sony.

sajj316

Guess their breakdown now and going forward will be Console versus Handheld so when PS4 comes out, reporting will be PS3/PS4 since PS2 production will be shut down. Doesn't bother me.

Dabanton

I'd rather have a tablet for that and looking at the sales figures millions of people do too.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If people want a tablet, they'll buy a tablet, not something with six buttons and two sticks.

People used to say the same thing about tablets and phones and the two are nearly intertwined at this point.

I think its too late to save the Vita though, Sony dropped the ball. It should have been a tablet with an actual Android OS.

People used to say the same thing about tablets and phones and the two are nearly intertwined at this point.

I think its too late to save the Vita though, Sony dropped the ball. It should have been a tablet with an actual Android OS.

Just imagine if the Vita was a tablet instead and Sony offering remote play with PS3/PS4 games.

Hunter S.

Lol, I would buy this happily as long as it had a pull out button area. Been thinking this for some time. First handheld and last tablet I would ever buy.

Actually just make a 7" gaming tablet with pull out buttons completely.

Oersted

They do?

And the PS2+PS3 and PSP+PSV is an obvious and shitty cover up practice, but they could probably lump all hardware sales together and investors wouldn't think much about it.

It's not like they offer detailed breakdown on TV models, phones or anything.

There's a big difference between Nintendo (only a gaming company) and Sony.

They show Wii/WiiU/NDS/3DS all on their own. Only Sony products are getting merged together in Sony´s sales report.

Edit:

That's not a part of Sony's report. It's a NeoGAF thread. Parmenides compiles the shipment information and puts it in all the quarterly sales threads he makes for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

My bad, should have read more carefully. Thank you.

DieH@rd

Banned

Or find a way to create Xperia Play 2 with Vita hardware inside.

Their Xperia strategy makes no sense. Release the best smartphone on the market and make sure nobody in the US even knows about it. Smart thinking Sony.

If a company like HTC can generate so much interest in the US, then Sony has no excuse.

Such an absolutely shame that the Vita is effectively dead. They seem to have no confidence in the platform and seem to have nothing planned to generate interest and improve sales. I'd be surprised if they can even afford to cut the price of the Vita and start pumping software resources into it... those numbers piss me off.

The smartphone strategy is so terribly stupid. The Xperia Z should've been marketed like crazy in the U.S and Sony should've done everything they could've to get carriers to pick up and push it. They make an incredible phone and then make comments that sound like a tacit admission that they have no confidence in their phones doing anything in the U.S market, so they end up leaving a massive market to eat up other phones (HTC One for example) and establish the HTC brand more than Sony themselves is a bad move.

These results look decent to me, but there is a lot more to be done. SMC still seems like it is in shambles with them not willing to do anything with the U.S market and the odd way they continue to confuse the market with so many phones. The gaming division looks like okay with the PS3 doing decent, but that is marred by the terrible Vita numbers. PS4 should hopefully improve the situation, assuming they can launch on time.

Those Vita numbers... wow.

AniHawk

Such an absolutely shame that the Vita is effectively dead. They seem to have no confidence in the platform and seem to have nothing planned to generate interest and improve sales. I'd be surprised if they can even afford to cut the price of the Vita and start pumping software resources into it... those numbers piss me off.

if the vita dies off this year, then sony's strategy all along might have been to just release something only so it could die, and they could exit out of the market by stating the market was dead instead of ceding defeat to nintendo or whatever.

if the vita dies off this year, then sony's strategy all along might have been to just release something only so it could die, and they could exit out of the market by stating the market was dead instead of ceding defeat to nintendo or whatever.

By "dies off," do you mean Sony dramatically scaling back on shipments, advertising, or new releases? Maybe a combination of the three?

BadWolf

At the PS4 reveal it sounded like they wanted to talk about their Vita plans as well but at the end decided to focus on the new console.

Gives me hope that they do have something in mind for the poor thing.

DaBoss

I posted this in the MC thread, but I think it fits here more. This is what I think Sony's strategy with the Vita is.
I think Sony is going to market the Vita as a companion handheld to the PS3/PS4. I don't think they will be able to make it something one would like to own on its own. But if one is a PS3/PS4 owner, one would reap the benefits of owning both a Vita and a PS3/PS4, especially if that someone has PS+. I think this will be the best way for the Vita to sell in the west.

You know, I remember someone from Sony saying they are glad the 3DS is doing well because it shows there is a market for handhelds.

At the PS4 reveal it sounded like they wanted to talk about their Vita plans as well but at the end decided to focus on the new console.

Gives me hope that they do have something in mind for the poor thing.

If they had any plans, they would have aimed their forecast higher.

What that 5M figure suggests is a case of WISYWYG: Sony intends to release the games that have been announced for FY13 thus far, presumably with some token marketing, and let them and the hardware sell whatever they're going to sell. There isn't likely to be any kind of major software or marketing push this FY, and possibly not even a price cut in NA/Europe.

Mung

Again, Kaz is slowly turning this ship around. Even taking away the buildings, at least it's not a further decline from last years worst ever results. Will probably take several more years to fully sort this company out. If the Yen stays weak, it's looking good for a recovery I think.

Pretty good. They have their biggest stuff coming up though. They have to execute on that new One Sony branding or whatever that is. I think they have an upcoming phone that will be the first under that brand.

Then they have the launch of the PS4. The rest of this year and next is huge.

Mario007

This is pretty much a de ja vu of Kaz one year after coming up with PS3 Slim. He seems pretty damn competent (well apart from the Vita, since that IS his baby, but House must get the share of blame here as well).

The one thing Kaz has to do though is sort out Sony America in each division.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Wow, with how they have treated it, this almost wouldnt surprise me...

BKK

Sony stopped production, but they probably still had units to sell.

The big shipment this quarter for PS2+PS3 probably includes them selling away the remaining PS2 stock.

They still intend to sell PS2 until Divali in India (November), so another three quarters after this report. As they already know remaining production shipments it could be possible that they decided to book all of those in this FY, which would explain no PS2 forecasts for next FY and high PS2/3 shipments for the previous quarter. That's purely my speculation though :)

Miles X

Looks like this make the PS3 officially the second best selling console this gen, ahead of the 360 now.

From last quarter's thread:

NOTE: PS2 has now been discontinued, though I suppose shipments still existed during the quarter, as small as they may have been.

Let's assume 90% PS3, 10% PS2 -- which is roughly the same ratio it's been selling for a while. That means PS3 sold ~3.06 million. 360 sold 1.1 million this past quarter. Net gain for the PS3 ~1.96 million.

And as of last quarter, estimates placed the 360's lead to 1 million or less, meaning that the PS3 appears to have overtaken the 360 now.

Lol you're such full of BS, if it were 1m ahead of 360 that would mean it had it's BEST FY ever, despite sales being down in Europe, US, Japan (all confirmed with numbers) and presumably elsewhere.

You fanboyism completely misguides you.

It's likely very close but given they're down yoy in all those territories I don't see how they matched last years 13.9m? Can you explain that?

pixelbox

Wow, with how they have treated it, this almost wouldnt surprise me...
Yea they design one of the most advanced, full featured handheld on the market and expected it sell 16 M first year to die. : / Anywho, could a new remodel be the cause of the low forecast? Or maybe are they purposefully aiming low to beat expectations?

Lol you're such full of BS, if it were 1m ahead of 360 that would mean it had it's BEST FY ever, despite sales being down in Europe, US, Japan (all confirmed with numbers) and presumably elsewhere.

You fanboyism completely misguides you.

It's likely very close but given they're down yoy in all those territories I don't see how they matched last years 13.9m? Can you explain that?

Ha

Not at all, how is anything I said wrong? You think Sony shipped/sold more last year than the year before?

lol no it's you calling anyone else a fanboy when you're one of the staunchest MS defenders on GAF. Please write me a essay topic in your defense, I would like your numbers as well. Thanks.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Not at all, how is anything I said wrong? You think Sony shipped/sold more last year than the year before?

Considering you felt so strongly about wrong numbers between Sony and MS that you made a thread about it, I'd say you are firmly entrenched in the MS camp and have no right to call anyone else out.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
lol no it's you calling anyone else a fanboy when you're one of the staunchest MS defenders on GAF. Please write me a essay topic in your defense, I would like your numbers as well. Thanks.

Technically the two aren't exclusive. Hell the fact that someone is the thing in question makes it easier to point it out in others.

Top Bottom