• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY12: $400M Net Income; PS3/PS2 16.5M; Vita/PSP 5M forecast

Didn't Sony just announce 3 new games for PS Vita. Guaranteed, they are not exclusive to the platform and are more of small indie titles but it shows that they are still supporting VITA.

Also they are already planning on Cross-Buy for VITA/PS3/PS4

4Xh2R0k.png

This also means we can expect more Cross-Buy titles for VITA/PS4 in the future.

I wouldn't call ports of indie titles "support".
Really, Sony has sold Vita as a powerfull handheld, if they want to support it, they would release AAA titles.

Current PSP LTD hardware sales at the very least are over 79 million units.

Considering that in 2012 PSP sold (not shipped) around 2.7 million units between Europe and Japan, I would say PSP won't have any trouble outselling GBA. It just needs 1 million from Japan, and another 1 million from Europe.

A Sony handheld outselling a Nintendo handheld :p

I wouldn't call ports of indie titles "support".
Really, Sony has sold Vita as a powerfull handheld, if they want to support it, they would release AAA titles.
Well we have Killzone: Mercenary/Tearaway and we haven't heard a thing from Sony Bend(UC: GA) or the Gravity Rush developers. Unless Sony announces almost nothing from them at E3, i won't call it as losing support just because there is no announcement. Right now, there main focus seems to be on PS4 and they did show VITA as remote play during PS4 conference.

It would be strange to completely cut their plans before realizing it fully.

ascii42

Holy shit 20 million to reach the Wii?

How many PS2's Sony sold after the PS3 launched?

They are just now making PS3s officially available on some developing countries like Brazil.

It would be hilarious if the PS3 ended this generation on the first place.

The PS2 has sold roughly 50 million, probably a little more, since the PS3 came out.

Hell, I just got a new PS2 slim last week from Walmart, since I think my PS2 is dying.

Well we have Killzone: Mercenary/Tearaway and we haven't heard a thing from Sony Bend(UC: GA) or the Gravity Rush developers. Unless Sony announces almost nothing from them at E3, i won't call it as losing support just because there is no announcement. Right now, there main focus seems to be on PS4 and they did show VITA as remote play during PS4 conference.

It would be strange to completely cut their plans before realizing it fully.

Two titles is far from enough. Sure, there's still things to announce, but yet, I don't see Sony supporting Vita. And remote play Vita is just acting like Vita is more like a PS4 controller than a true handheld console.

Sony has three titles for Vita already announced: Killzone, Tearaway and Invizimals. That's not how you support your platform in a troubling period, in its second year in the market, in particular when third parties are avoiding it.

Just having a more detailed look. The US is where Sony are really underperforming. In Japan, Europe, Asia and Africa/Other sales are up. In China sales are down, but that's down to the anti-Japan protests, before that sales were up by around 10%. In the US sales are down 12%.

I think that's why there is such a separation in the world right now, a lot of the US based media see Sony as an ailing company while in the rest of the world Sony is actually doing pretty well, with decent sales growth and a desirable product line up. I'm not sure what is causing this, it could be very aggressive consumer demand for cheap products which has left Sony unable to compete with the likes of Samsung or it could be Sony's lack of investment in marketing which has seen the brand fall behind Apple. Either way Kaz needs to dump this idiotic policy of ignoring the US division's problems right now and concentrate on getting them competitive again. Sony can't afford to fall behind in the world's single largest consumer market.

LayLa

so the hardware numbers Sony give for Jan-Mar 2013 are
3DS 1.24
PSV/PSP 1.3

from Media Create thread Japanese only 3DS sales for Jan-Mar are 1,258,395
either 3DS sold -20,000 in the rest of the world during the period or Sony done goofed

Sandfox

3DS 1.24
PSV/PSP 1.3

either 3DS sold -20,000 in the rest of the world during the period or Sony done goofed

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these numbers were estimates.

3DS 1.24
PSV/PSP 1.3

No, it's an overshipment from Q42012 which lead to such a low Q1 shipment from Nintendo.

PSP/Vita at 1.3m isn't far off by sell through figures.

Striek

Damn @ the portable division. Ramp up PS Mobile, hell leverage your IP on iOS, and relegate Vita to a PS4 optional add-on. Being an also-ran in a dying market doesn't make sense.
3DS 1.24
PSV/PSP 1.3

That is the number Nintendo shipped. Only PlayStation numbers are from Sony. Parmenides simply took all the data from the respective companies financial reports.

Sony has three titles for Vita already announced: Killzone, Tearaway and Invizimals. That's not how you support your platform in a troubling period, in its second year in the market, in particular when third parties are avoiding it.
It won't benefit much from most of the Sony IPs. The best it can do is with a new GT and maybe God of War. I don't see which other IPs can help it. Killzone isn't looking like a system seller either.

To be honest, i would love to see more projects like Tearaway instead of Killzone but of course the general public will disagree.

Anyways, haven't we got rumors of more VITA titles including FIFA 14, Rayman Legends and Assassin's Creed Rising Phoenix. We will surely know more about them at this E3 but if they are true, it can provide a huge boost to VITA software line-up this year.

LayLa

No, it's an overshipment from Q42012 which lead to such a low Q1 shipment from Nintendo.

PSP/Vita at 1.3m isn't far off by sell through figures.

ok, didn't realise we were mixing up shipment numbers with sales numbers.

PSP/Vita sales via MC are 546,000 for Jan-Mar leaving around 750,000 for the rest of the world. doable i guess but since Japan is their strongest region seems a bit overzealous.

Akira

Just having a more detailed look. The US is where Sony are really underperforming. In Japan, Europe, Asia and Africa/Other sales are up. In China sales are down, but that's down to the anti-Japan protests, before that sales were up by around 10%. In the US sales are down 12%.

I think that's why there is such a separation in the world right now, a lot of the US based media see Sony as an ailing company while in the rest of the world Sony is actually doing pretty well, with decent sales growth and a desirable product line up. I'm not sure what is causing this, it could be very aggressive consumer demand for cheap products which has left Sony unable to compete with the likes of Samsung or it could be Sony's lack of investment in marketing which has seen the brand fall behind Apple. Either way Kaz needs to dump this idiotic policy of ignoring the US division's problems right now and concentrate on getting them competitive again. Sony can't afford to fall behind in the world's single largest consumer market.

The reason is that Sony is refusing to go toe to toe in the biggest CE product right now. Sony has lost a lot of mindshare now that smartphones are in the forefront of the tech space with Sony being only a minor player, or more like non-player, in the US. Samsung is enjoying tremendous growth in their CE business in the US now that they have a household name product in the Galaxy. It's almost like free advertising. The only similar halo product that Sony has is Playstation and with the fading PS3, its positive effects on Sony's other products aren't being seen. In fact, their sales have been fading much like the PS3 although admittedly TVs and cameras are a shrinking industry. This should change once the PS4 comes out, but I don't think it will have as big of an effect on Sony's brand as the Galaxy has had on the Samsung brand which is why Sony needs that big selling flagship smartphone to bring their brand back into the limelight. It was very difficult to bump out a big player as Samsung did, hence all of Samsung's effort to do everything they could through any means; it will be much, much more difficult to bump out two big players in Apple and Samsung.

Toxa

It won't benefit much from most of the Sony IPs. The best it can do is with a new GT and maybe God of War. I don't see which other IPs can help it. Killzone isn't looking like a system seller either.

To be honest, i would love to see more projects like Tearaway instead of Killzone but of course the general public will disagree.

Anyways, haven't we got rumors of more VITA titles including FIFA 14, Rayman Legends and Assassin's Creed Rising Phoenix. We will surely know more about them at this E3 but if they are true, it can provide a huge boost to VITA software line-up this year.

your avatar who is she ? Yuna cosplay ?

gtj1092

I understand why sony gets crap for combining hardware sales but at least we get a number but no seems to notice that MS never gives software sales. Have a feeling if they did alot of the mystique of 360 being far and away the software giant of the industry would fade but maybe not since most still think the 360 is outselling the Ps3. Still can't believe Ps3 is going to catch the Wii in software sales.

jcm

Did they say how much they would have lost without the asset sales? I can't find that anywhere.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Well, I was wrong. Sorry.

I was told they'd finally break out PS3 and PS2 at end of FY. From the looks of it (only read first 100 posts so far) answer is no.

Sony, you're doing it wrong.

Curious what they'll say about it in the Q&A, and shame jvm's sources were wrong about separate platform numbers, though.
Yep, taking my licks. Can't be right all the time, I regret to say. :(

BibiMaghoo

Why is PS2 still included when production stopped months and months ago?

Surely if they are not producing them, and have not been this year, they won't have any left to ship?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I understand why sony gets crap for combining hardware sales but at least we get a number but no seems to notice that MS never gives software sales. Have a feeling if they did alot of the mystique of 360 being far and away the software giant of the industry would fade but maybe not since most still think the 360 is outselling the Ps3. Still can't believe Ps3 is going to catch the Wii in software sales.

Why? It's kinda obvious that it would catch up to Wii in terms of software sales. A matter of fact, I called it 1 year ago.

It's also allmost a fact that the PS3 will overtake the Wii in hardware sales. So all in all at the end of this all it will have shipped the most hardware units of the 3. In terms of software, no idea. Nobody except Microsoft has a clue how much software have been moved on the 360.

Anybody know why Sony gets away with combining PS3/PS2 and PSP/Vita? Surely investors could call them out and demand that they report these seperately.

allan-bh

I was told they'd finally break out PS3 and PS2 at end of FY. From the looks of it (only read first 100 posts so far) answer is no.

Maybe they will be doing starting Q1 of current fiscal year, usually Q1 is the period of change.

But in any case, PS2 apparently is done, so we'll have PS3 number, let's see PS Vita and PSP.

Why is PS2 still included when production stopped months and months ago?

Surely if they are not producing them, and have not been this year, they won't have any left to ship?

as long as my observation and reports by foreign buddies are correct, that beast ist still selling in the countries of the euopean union, turkey, north africa, brazil, east asia.

Kaz has really done a lot for the company. It just goes to show what hard work can do for a company that was down and out. The PS4 is going to be a big move for Sony and we can all bet they won't make the same mistakes they made with the PS3. I can see them being a major market contender and Microsoft needs to work hard to keep up.

2MF

Short term debt decreased by just about the same amount.

So much for this idea that Sony have lost access to regular capital markets because of the downgrade.

I never saw anyone serious saying that Sony was losing access to the capital markets. The question is, how favorable of an interest rate can they negotiate.

gtj1092

Why? It's kinda obvious that it would catch up to Wii in terms of software sales. A matter of fact, I called it 1 year ago.

It's also allmost a fact that the PS3 will overtake the Wii in hardware sales. So all in all at the end of this all it will have shipped the most hardware units of the 3. In terms of software, no idea. Nobody except Microsoft has a clue how much software have been moved on the 360.

Nice call on the software.

Thats the point about the software no one knows but MS but no one complains they just say 360 leads in software sales with no evidence but there is always so much out cry at sony combining hardware. I'm sure 360 is probably ahead but like hardware I doubt the difference is that much to support the idea that 360 software sales own Ps3 sales.

PlayStation ecosystem :/

Have we been able to extrapolate any reasonable numbers for what FY12 PS2 sales would be?

Seems a ridiculous way to report something, and completely counter-intuitive to any type of advantages that reporting has other than to try and fool people.

QaaQer

PlayStation ecosystem :/

Have we been able to extrapolate any reasonable numbers for what FY12 PS2 sales would be?

Seems a ridiculous way to report something, and completely counter-intuitive to any type of advantages that reporting has other than to try and fool people.

fool people? wtf?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Is there any market the Chinese have beat up the traditional players more so than the display market? Looking at those TV sales and man... I know Samsung's sales have been crashed also. Granted HDTV at a mass market price is over 10 years old now, and mass market priced flat screens are over 5 years old.. But the Chinese mfgs have gutted the low end of the market. Kind of sucks. At least they seem determined on the race to the bottom and are leaving the mid and upper end of the display market to the traditional companies. Competing on quality is a whole different game than competing solely on price.

max-pain

The smartphone sales in Q4FY12 are pretty bad (only up 16%) and they missed the 34 million forecast for the whole year by a million. Xperia Z doesn't do shit.

FaceDa

Banned
Aw man

Vita sales LTD: ???

On an official report.

:( I have both 3DS and Vita and like the Vita much more but nobody is gonna develop for it at this rate.

Aw man

Vita sales LTD: ???

On an official report.

:( I have both 3DS and Vita and like the Vita much more but nobody is gonna develop for it at this rate.

Around 5 million? But it's shipped because it sold less than 1.5 million in Japan and I doubt it did more than 3 million elsewhere..

driver116

Two titles is far from enough. Sure, there's still things to announce, but yet, I don't see Sony supporting Vita. And remote play Vita is just acting like Vita is more like a PS4 controller than a true handheld console.

Actually Sony has supported Vita from day 1. It's the third parties who have shown little interest outside of a few.

The 10 million PS3 FCT for the year AND the game division's operating income FCT of being flat YOY suggests to me that there will be no price drop this year. Sony will keep the PS3 price at $249 and ride out on high profit margins to offset the money they will lose with each PS4 sold. There will probably be a PS3 price drop next year, if I had to guess.

It, or something like it, is the only optimistic read of the forecast.

It's low, so it does suggest they don't see anything coming to ignite the platform. Unless Vita will be sold through other hardware in the future, which would render standalone Vita sales less significant.

Dunno what their plans are though. Andrew House had slightly cryptic comments about plans to be announced 'later this year' at the Feb meeting about leveraging the Vita chipset and OS, in a living room context...whatever that means.

I'm really curious on what he meant by that.

I also think there will be no vita phone or tablet or whatever. At least not this year, otherwise that 5 million FCT would probably be higher, or Sony would count it somewhere else in their FCT.

On the plus side, the 5 million and 10 million FCT are actually realistic and somewhat achievable, that's in contrast to previous years where the PSV's FCT was not realistic at all. Also in contrast with Nintendo where it's highly unlikely they will reach their 3DS and WiiU FCTs.

Top Bottom