• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony refused cross platform play in Minecraft

Sophia

Because sony is market leader and they gain nothing by cross-platform play, actually probably the opposite.

I mean, on the opposite side, what do they lose here too? Being the market leader and being the only platform refusing it for a game as big as Minecraft can't possibly look good either.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
For the record, we don't know if there were conditions on the deal that PlayStation refuted.

Why would we care what the conditions are?

You are a consumer. If you don't own Minecraft, this doesn't matter. If you do own Minecraft, you benefit from Sony agreeing to this and you don't benefit from them not. You don't need to emotionally invest in the material wellbeing of a corporation.

Frankly this is a pretty crappy move on Sony's part. Especially considering a company who is traditionally archaic in their online initiatives like Nintendo agreed to it

Chrisdk

It's pretty huge though. Crossplay between PC, Xbox, Switch, iOS and Android. #4theplayers

[Edit]have we actually seen this before? Full on crossplay between every major gaming device(except PS4).

True Fire

I think what's really important here is how awesome this is for Nintendo fans. You'll be able to play on PC servers using your Switch. How amazing is that?

Dizagaox

Switch and PS4 are very different platforms though. Switch is more comparable to an iPad in this situation.

Chaostar

MS: hey Sony we're offering you cross play on Minecraft but you have to lick a turd.

Sony: ew no, not doing that.

MS: hey everyone Sony refused cross play, how arrogant *trollface*

We don't know the deal, ease up on the vitriol

quest

Not Banned from OT
Is this going to be something stupid like whatever issue there is with Sony and Bethesda game mods?

I'd say this

If MS were in the market leader spot they wouldn't be heavily chasing cross platform play. They are doing it because it takes away a competitive advantage of userbase

Thier doing to sell copies of the game. I hope someone can take the fight to Sony next generation because the need to be taken down a peg or 2. I always love the defense force.

NeesonWhy.gif

Jumeira

Banned
For the record, we don't know if there were conditions on the deal that PlayStation refuted.

What could they be protecting that Nintendo would be fine with? Come on, your clutching at straws.

Sony done this with Rocket League, with Bethesda & mods, EA Access now Minecraft. How many excuses do you want to make for Sony until you take a step back, look at the facts and realise they're being pricks.

dugdug

Banned
Why would we care what the conditions are?

You are a consumer. If you don't own Minecraft, this doesn't matter. If you do own Minecraft, you benefit from Sony agreeing to this and you don't benefit from them not. You don't need to emotionally invest in the material wellbeing of a corporation.

Agreed, but, would appreciate a comment from either company involved rather than "tweet from dude." Surely the story is longer than that.

Yeah, denying the cross console MP and EA Access is very irritating. That's why you need a good competitor.
Xbox since Phil Spencer has been doing almost all the right things.

Darknight

#4ThePlayers

If Nintendo came on board I doubt there were any strange clauses in the contract.

Maybe Nintendo wants to promote their online service. If they want people to pay a year, they want to be sure to add incentives?

Sony's own online service is doing healthy. If Im not mistaken they have more PS+ members than XB/PC/mobile gold members? Im not sure how that is possible but maybe they feel they offer enough.

Personally I think its a bad move due to the arrogant look. Else I guess they have their own reasons.

Toki767

However, we can probably assume that any conditions were also imposed on Nintendo, but they agreed, and Ninty isn't easy to deal with most of the time...
I think at this point, Nintendo needs Minecraft more than Sony does.

This also might have been part of the deal to get Minecraft on the Switch to begin with.

Because sony is market leader and they gain nothing by cross-platform play, actually probably the opposite.

For most games, I'd agree but they're nowhere near the market leader on Minecraft. Mobile/PC are the dominant platforms by a long shot. By having cross platform play, they'd be more appealing to mobile players looking to move over to a console

Top Bottom