• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony refused cross platform play in Minecraft

Boke1879

I mean, on the opposite side, what do they lose here too? Being the market leader and being the only platform refusing it for a game as big as Minecraft can't possibly look good either.

It's a great feature, but honestly. They aren't going to get shit for this. People keep buying their consoles hand over fist.

I love how people in this topic are defending and making excuses for Sony. Just a few years ago, people were ripping into MS about this. Where were the "business logistic" crap excuses.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm amazed Nintendo said yes.

They've been okay with it for awhile.

I'll repost what I brought up in the other Minecraft thread:

Oldie but still relevant.

https://www.polygon.com/2013/10/14/4838864/nintendo-allows-cross-play-for-pure-chess-ripstone-says

"...They said, 'Yep, no problem. You can have other console players playing against Wii U players. You can have smartphone players play against them. No problem,'" Gaskell told Eurogamer. "We're still talking to Sony about them relaxing their policies, but we don't think they'll have any issue with it. So when we launch Pure Chess, you'll be able to play against Wii U, 3DS, iOS and Android players.

Pure Chess never got crossplay on Sony platforms though and it even debuted on Vita and PS3 first.

Keinning

Agreed, but, would appreciate a comment from either company involved rather than "tweet from dude." Surely the story is longer than that.

"dude" from tweet works for MS

MS: hey Sony we're offering you cross play on Minecraft but you have to lick a turd.

Sony: ew no, not doing that.

MS: hey everyone Sony refused cross play, how arrogant *trollface*

We don't know the deal, ease up on the vitriol

yes that's exactly what happened whoa
are you an insider?
on a sidenote nintendo and apple lick turds lmao

Wagram

That's pretty fucking lame to be honest. I don't care about Minecraft, but there is zero reason to deny the players to play with each other.

-Horizon-

It would've probably been a better idea for sony to accept than reject.

Positive image and all that.

Remember when the whole #4thegamers thing was about creating that positive image after the mess that was the ps3 launch? Yeah, that shouldn't stop being a thing.

You capitalize on that positive word of mouth to keep your brand well liked. That's worth more money than the immediate sales of a game if it means people stick to your brand for the long term.

I'd say this

If MS were in the market leader spot they wouldn't be heavily chasing cross platform play. They are doing it because it takes away a competitive advantage of userbase

They are not chasing it, they are promoting it for the biggest selling game out of all the three systems by a 1st party: minecraft

So MS would negate money if they were market leader? software makes companies the most money money, not videogame hardware.

Aeana

guys maybe sony is actually the hero here?? giving us fewer people to play with is a blessing now i know when i meet someone online that they are a winner who chose the winner console

EvB

Did someone from EA actually say this?

No, but that will be what it is. There is a load of back end stuff that allows for multiple subscription types and trials on the newer version of Xbox Live.

You can see glimpse of the difficulties PSN has with things like not being able to change your gamertag and not being able to purchase games on PS+ once your subscription is done.

NDQHDnH.gif

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I mean, on the opposite side, what do they lose here too? Being the market leader and being the only platform refusing it for a game as big as Minecraft can't possibly look good either.

If your friends play on one console you have to get that console to play with them, that's how it is for games without cross-play.

I'm not defending this just saying that you gain a lot less to be part of cross-platform play if you're the market leader as most people will be on your console leading to their friend circles also getting the same console to be able to play together in a world without cross-platform play.

Clancy

Banned
I don’t understand the “Sony has nothing to gain from this” response. Do any of the companies really have anything to gain? It’s basically them saying that they’re not going to force their potential customers to buy something they already own to play with their friends. I don’t get how Nintendo, Google, or Apple benefit in this scenario.

CGwizz

" Insert post showing how badly this affects me and how much a care for it just to hate on sony when i dont even play minecraf or give a shit about it"

I am outraged !!! Sony is Evil !!!

I think at this point, Nintendo needs Minecraft more than Sony does.

This also might have been part of the deal to get Minecraft on the Switch to begin with.

Wut? Why does Nintendo need Minecraft? Switch was selling like hotcakes before Minecraft was on the platform. Sure, it's definitely good to have, but I'm not sure it's a need.

Plus, let's not act like Microsoft has been shy at putting Minecraft on competitor's platforms. Mojang was independent before Microsoft bought them, and the "put it on everything" strategy has not changed since their sale.

Floody

If Nintendo are on board I really doubt MS have some secret super evil clause in there, most likely Sony just being dicks. Shame, just makes the game by far the worst version to get on their platform.

Calm Mind

guys maybe sony is actually the hero here?? giving us fewer people to play with is a blessing now i know when i meet someone online that they are a winner who chose the winner console

I had no idea you had a 10th degree black belt in sarcasm.

Top Bottom