• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony refused cross platform play in Minecraft

How bad can they be? Nintendo signed up

If everyone else wasn't on board I'd agree that there could be a logical reason. I think, however, it is more to do with Sony not being interested in "playing ball".

I understand they have no business reason to support this, but their business reason is to not look like a corporate bunch of jerks that doesn't care what their customers would be interested in, or providing them the choice.

Shambala

Dont have kids? I had children over begging for this feature just a week ago so everybody could have their own screen.
Actually I do but they don't care about that. Never once showed any interest in it. But as I said to each its on. I'm sure some people in here are just here to make noise n don't really even care about this stuff

Why would we care what the conditions are?

You are a consumer. If you don't own Minecraft, this doesn't matter. If you do own Minecraft, you benefit from Sony agreeing to this and you don't benefit from them not. You don't need to emotionally invest in the material wellbeing of a corporation.

They are not chasing it, they are promoting it for the biggest selling game out of all the three systems by a 1st party: minecraft

So MS would negate money if they were market leader? software makes companies the most money money, not videogame hardware.
It's a Trojan horse. Once one game goes cross platform, others will as well. And when you can play anyone on PSN from your Xbox, it suddenly doesn't matter that Sony have spent a lot of time and effort and money cultivating the largest userbase

It's not that I agree with it, it's just that Sony is the only one who loses out in this situation. Gamers benefit, MS benefits, Nintendo benefits, Apple benefits. Sony loses a competitive advantage.

Nintendo just launched a new console and needs every leg up it can get. They have an uphill battle with third parties and securing Minecraft and allowing Crossplay benefits them substantially.

Sony? Not so much. They are the market leader, chances are if you own a PS4 and own Minecraft, you play with other people on PS4, most of your friends also own PS4, etc.

But you know, arrogant Sony and all that.

Jubenhimer

I think Sony still sees Microsoft as a threat, while Nintendo doesn't really care about hardcore competition. This is why I think Sony may have turned them down, though there could be something else at play.

antonz

Its an odd decision considering the success Minecraft found on Vita for instance but When you are on top you tend to think differently than when you are fighting for every inch.

It explains why Switch Physical release was delayed to after the digital though as they are waiting for the Unified Minecraft for retail while digital can easily upgrade anytime. Seems like Switch is a big winner here besides MS obvious big win with the game itself

It's a Trojan horse. Once one game goes cross platform, others will as well. And when you can play anyone on PSN from your Xbox, it suddenly doesn't matter that Sony have spent a lot of time and effort and money cultivating the largest userbase

It's not that I agree with it, it's just that Sony is the only one who loses out in this situation. Gamers benefit, MS benefits, Nintendo benefits, Apple benefits. Sony loses a competitive advantage.
apple benefits but sony loses? you lost me

Experien

However, we can probably assume that any conditions were also imposed on Nintendo, but they agreed, and Ninty isn't easy to deal with most of the time...

IF there was conditions, you think Sony and Nintendo would be offered the same deal?

Sony and MS look at Nintendo as a companion console to theirs, I think they would be more lenient.

#4TheCompetitiveAdvantage

ZeroX03

Banned
For the record, we don't know if there were conditions on the deal that PlayStation refuted.

Jesuuuuuuuuuuuus some people are willing to spin so much as not to just concede this is Sony's fault.

Yup its amazing. I'm genuinely curious how many people in this thread actually play Minecraft.

The precedent affects a lot more than just Minecraft, plenty of reasons for people to be pissed. This is why Tekken 7 isn't cross play.

Oddish1

Nintendo just launched a new console and needs every leg up it can get. They have an uphill battle with third parties and securing Minecraft and allowing Crossplay benefits them substantially.

Sony? Not so much. They are the market leader, chances are if you own a PS4 and own Minecraft, you play with other people on PS4, most of your friends also own PS4, etc.

How is what you described NOT arrogant Sony?

Trago

Inb4 the excuses.

I want cross platform play to be a thing with many games in the future. Sony once again deciding what's best for their userbase. Market leader syndrome I guess.

13ruce

Banned
guys maybe sony is actually the hero here?? giving us fewer people to play with is a blessing now i know when i meet someone online that they are a winner who chose the winner console

Sony executive @ weekly meeting: lol i just denied a cross platform gameplay deal with Microsofts Minecraft, no way we gonna have a deal with our competition lulz lets show em!

Seriously it makes no sense at all it even is positive for Sony themselves they have to set aside their console wars bs. Companies work together multiple times even Apple and Samsung do.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Because sony is market leader and they gain nothing by cross-platform play, actually probably the opposite.
They loose by not having cross platform play. Now PS4's Minecraft is worth less than Minecraft on other platforms, so when you make the decision on where to but this game, you need to take this into account.

I don't understand what they'd loose if allowing cross play.

That sounds like they have no reason to worry about it and they should support it for the very few people this would allow to play with their friends on mobile or another platform.

I guess they're afraid of how they'd look for allowing crossplay with a MS console here where they have a smaller potential audience but not for games like fighters and Destiny where they have a much larger one. Not that it's a good look either way.

Top Bottom