• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony set to unveil two new games at GamesCom

patsu

In my dream, it would be:

* Media Molecule's new game targeting families with LBP level of cuteness, also Vita compatible. Even better if it has learning/educational elements.

* Demon's Souls 2 for PS3 and Vita

It would rock my family's entertainment world. The rest can wait. 8^P

Cyberia

MM's new project is a safe bet i guess.

See Your Game-Inspired Art Displayed At Gamescom And Broadcast To The World

Last year we tried something a little different at Gamescom. Straight after the PlayStation conference we ushered five of the greatest minds in modern gaming (including Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida, development legend Mark Cerny and thatgamecompany’s Kellee Santiago) into a room and let them chew over what they thought gaming would look like in 2021. The resulting hour-and-a-bit offered some fascinating discussion.

Duly, we’re doing it again this year, only this time the panel will be chiming in on the ‘Games as Art’ debate. Are games art? What defines an ‘art game’? What drives development of titles like Journey and The Unfinished Swan? To field these topics, we have another stellar panel of experts lined up:

Shuhei Yoshida, President, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios
Ian Dallas, Co-founder and Creative Director, Giant Sparrow (The Unfinished Swan)
Kellee Santiago, former Co-founder, thatgamecompany
Alex Evans, Co-founder, Media Molecule
Adam Volker, Moonbot Studio (Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler)
… and a special guest working on a currently unannounced project!

Also the panel will be hosted by Johnny Minkley:

1h Johnny Minkley Johnny Minkley ‏@johnnyminkley
So here's the thing I'm doing w/ Sony @ Gamescom. I'm chairing this panel, live-streaming straight after the press conf http://is.gd/iAXHxQ

And I have a brilliant panel: @yosp, Ian Dallas of @giantsparrow, @KelleeSan @mmalex & Adam Volker of @moonbotstudios + one more. #gamescom

It'd be nice if there were some new games to talk about too, wouldn't it?

https://twitter.com/johnnyminkley

Kellee is going to be there? I wonder if Sony managed to get her on board at one of her studios or just signed her to do some stuff for them? We haven't heard about what she's doing since she left thatgamecompany after Journey was completed.

Kellee is going to be there? I wonder if Sony managed to get her on board at one of her studios or just signed her to do some stuff for them? We haven't heard about what she's doing since she left thatgamecompany after Journey was completed.

What if Sony gave her her own studio to lead under the Sony name? That would be pretty sweet.

What if Sony gave her her own studio to lead under the Sony name? That would be pretty sweet.

I could see them doing that. They don't have any studios that are dedicated to the download space, so it'd make sense for her to run something like that for them. Or she could just go there to oversee their downloadable titles in general.

According to the schedule, one of the games is from a “Japan Studio,” while the other is apparently a new “Move IP.”

http://www.psu.com/a016264/Confirmed--Sony-to-reveal-two-new-title-at-Gamescom

Oh...

133943640653.jpg

It's almost certainly not.

Why? If it's something from Japan Studios then i'd think that they'd want to show something that would definitely appeal to the European audience that they'll be unveiling it at. GT is by far their biggest franchise in Europe.

nofi

Why? If it's something from Japan Studios then i'd think that they'd want to show something that would definitely appeal to the European audience that they'll be unveiling it at. GT is by far their biggest franchise in Europe.

Well, it might. Just that it seemed odd on the schedule (which said "new IP"). We'll see.

Well, it might. Just that it seemed odd on the schedule (which said "new IP"). We'll see.

I was just going based on this

According to the schedule, one of the games is from a “Japan Studio,” while the other is apparently a new “Move IP.”

That doesn't mention the Japan Studio title as being a new IP. That new Move IP is likely the action game that the London Studio has been working on.

JoshHood

Maybe they've been tricking us all along, and it's a new spin-off IP like Tourist Trophy, but still built on the GT engine? I'm saying GT & Sony All-Stars Karting.

GT aside: it'd be weird for them to describe it as a 'Move game', but it could be any new racing/vehicle-based franchise now they have that Move steering wheel contraption. Santa Monica battle-racer stealth reveal? ;)

BadWolf

The keep pushing it so Move must be doing well after all.

Regardless, at least there's a new Japan developed IP to look forward to.

MM's new game and Final Fantasy XIV.

Wish they would announce Spec 3.0 for GT5 - October or November date, it would get me hard

The keep pushing it so Move must be doing well after all.

Regardless, at least there's a new Japan developed IP to look forward to.

They will probably attempt to do a renewed push in parallel with the PS3 dropping to mainstream price in order to monetize on the casual demographics.

jondabomb

Not really getting my hopes up since there really isn't that much longer for this generation and there are already a number of first party titles slated for next year. Hopefully I'm in for a surprise though

BadAss2961

Shouldn't they have a sequel on PS3 and save the new IP for the next gen? If they even make a KZ4...

That's what I think they should do
I think it'll get Resistance 3'd if they don't give it a rest. Use that gorgeous engine to experiment with something new for PS3, then go back to Killzone to blow minds with what can be done on the PS4. PS4's gonna need some heavy hitters in its first year.

Elios83

A Move game could make sense considering Sony's focus for the rest of the year, but a game from Japan studio seems a bit weird unless it's a PSN game.
They would try to keep that stuff for TGS or Vita Heaven (if it's for Vita).
And of course it's not Gran Turismo, Polyphony is under threat to make a PS4 launch (window) game with GT6 since GT5 was released in 2010.
The only big secrets from SCEE at this point are Guerrilla's and MM's new IPs.

Zia

I could see them doing that. They don't have any studios that are dedicated to the download space, so it'd make sense for her to run something like that for them. Or she could just go there to oversee their downloadable titles in general.

: O

Be still, my beating heart. She's definitely not there as a representative of tgc, so I think there's a very good chance she's working with Sony in some capacity.

NHale

In my opinion, Kellee Santiago would be the perfect person to lead Sony Santa Monica external development team. I would prefer to have her work on a bunch of games, helping the external studios working with SSM than have her dedicated only to one project.

My schedule says it is.

I wonder if that Japan Studios game is the game shown behind close doors at E3. A game that even had some video leaked on the internet but was never shown publicly...

Top Bottom