• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We Held PS4 Exclusives Back from E3 2017

oh really? hmm..

Show us what you got? It's not like you haven't shown some games several years too early already...

They're at multiple shows each year, all of which need games to be shown off. And PSX now seems like a much bigger deal to them after last year where they ended it by announcing TLoUPII. So, they don't feel like they need to put everything into E3 anymore.

Raxious

Was expecting this. There are what, 3 or 4 more events?

- Gamescom
- Paris game show
- Tokyo game show
- PSX

I think its partially due to the success the Playstation has right now. Want to be able to showcase new games at as many shows as possible.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Uh, we already knew they had TGS and PSX, did anyone else really think otherwise?

Caayn

If they really have held announcements back, that's dumb. Their E3 presentation really lacked announcements, not counting PSVR.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Some games like Death Stranding and The Last of Us pt.2 just don't need the exposure of E3 honestly. Kojima and ND have a crazy fan following and wherever they decide to show their games, I'm certain they'll receive extensive coverage.

Nibel

YaGLvoy.png

Makes plenty of sense. I think it was a really smart decision since they can't keep doing shows like they've been doing. There's gotta be a lull at some point, and sometimes it's better to just take the "hit" and not have another bombshell conference for a while.

Also I totally expect to see what Sucker Punch is working on at the end of PSX this year.

Sciortino

Lol wtf is up with some of the reactions in here. Yeah, this E3 wasnt as great as Sony's previous two E3s but it was still pretty great nonetheless. I dont know what people were expecting when all they showed was game after game. They still got TGS and PSX, so no kidding they're going to hold back on some of their announcements for those two...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If they really have held announcements back, that's dumb. Their E3 presentation really lacked announcements, not counting PSVR.

Its not dumb if they have to spread out their game priorities across the year.

kadotsu

Banned
PSX games don't need to compete with 3-5 other conferences. They couldn't have known that Ubisoft would be the only one to announce new games.

Not surprised, PSX makes them money and they can get media attention alone during December (well maybe shared with Game Awards) so I expect them moving new announcement to their own show in the future

sirronoh

That may explain why they announced PSX at E3 instead of later in the year -- they already had their announcements planned out.

This was coming since they now have there own show .
A fair amount of stuff was announce at PSX and i expect this to happen more often .

AHA-Lambda

no wonder they had to catch up with details for all the exclusives from years past that still weren't out, it's hardly surprising. After all Dreams and TLOU2 weren't there.

I thought it was pretty obvious they held things. Most specifically, Sucker Punch's new game.

PSX should be a blast this year. It's my favorite show every year, though I wish I could get some theater tickets for that!

Dynomutt

I told ya'll:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1391037

Sony is shifting "mega-tons" to PS experience.

I'm not even mad. I went to PSX last year and the reaction to TLOU2 was bonkers. Watch SP new IP get announced at PSX.

Think about it their show was just Layden and clips. Not trying to defend anything it was a Spartan show no pun intended! It was bare and about the basics.

Shogun413

Main conference did seem quite short. I wonder if they cut some reveals last minute because MS didn't really show anything big either. My only question was why did they show so much in the pre-show. Things like Hidden Agenda, GT Sport, Ni No Kuni 2 could easily have made the main show.

eso76

considering basically everything that was shown comes out in 2018 i can only imagine what that means..

TLOU2 should have closed E3 and Arkham Spiderman blowout should have closed PSX last year.
If these had been switched, Sony would have had a very different and more positive reaction to the whole show.

Same with that Death Stranding trailer from the game awards, absolutely wasted there.

Wamb0wneD

Works for Nintendo, worked for Sony with The Last of Us Pt. 2.

Having these news spread over the year is better for their momentum.

I mean, yeah. They revealed probably the generation's biggest title at PSX last year and completely ignored it at E3. I don't think the E3 press conference is as important as people make it out to be.

Bwahahaha.

Fbh

It's not dumb.

If you have, say, 4 games to announce in a year and you have 2-3 big conferences then it makes sense to divide them instead of showing all of them in 1 conference and then have nothing for the rest of the year

tusken77

Of course, as expected. PSX is getting bigger every year. The Lost Legacy and TLOU2 were revealed at PSX, for example.

Also, interesting stuff about Spider-Man in that Shu video. He says there's many different paths in the shown E3 sequence. "You'll be amazed at how open and flexible the game system is."

TLOU2 should have closed E3 and Arkham Spiderman blowout should have closed PSX last year.
If these had been switched, Sony would have had a very different and more positive reaction to the whole show.

Same with that Death Stranding trailer from the game awards, absolutely wasted there.

Didn't Naughty Dog say they are the one who wants to show TLoU2 at PSX last year?

Elandyll

Banned
TGS and PSX. I think they skip Gamescom
I actually think they will do Gamescom this year for the following reasons:

- GTS was missing the show proper and didn't get its "proper launch event"
- Tons of mid size Japanese titles missing (generally very popular in Europe)
- Dreams and WilD mia
- Indies were basically mia too and Gamescom has been a great venue in the past
- Gotta show RDR2, Far Cry 5 and Battlefront 2 somewhere

Styles

Lol wtf is up with some of the reactions in here. Yeah, this E3 wasnt as great as Sony's previous two E3s but it was still pretty great nonetheless. I dont know what people were expecting when all they showed was game after game. They still got TGS and PSX, so no kidding they're going to hold back on some of their announcements for those two...

It's like the 2015/16 E3 PCs never happened. The faux outrage is ridiculous.

Cm3qNPC.png

Apathy

TGS and PSX. I think they skip Gamescom

don't they do paris games week?

Also, called it. E3 is going to be "the masses show, destiny, cod, fifa, battlefield" with maybe a few things here and there. They seem to have liked the psx media coverage since it is just them. Have japanese games for tgs and some big first person stuff for psx

expected for sure. glad to hear them confirm it i guess...

i honestly had no problem with sonys conference. focus on demoing their big games releasing soon for a good chunk of time.

could they have teased a logo of a new game not due for 2 years? sure. but i'd rather them just save it for a show later in the year where they can do a little more than a logo and a little nearer to release.

things sony could have added though:

a little developer talk about their game
some of the smaller titles like Everybodys Golf.
5 minutes discussing the future of their goals and platforms and psn/ps+/psNow

Cornbread78

They're at multiple shows each year, all of which need games to be shown off. And PSX now seems like a much bigger deal to them after last year where they ended it by announcing TLoUPII. So, they don't feel like they need to put everything into E3 anymore.

Oh, I get that. They just need to work on the timing between announcing games and when they are actually available to play.

I think they are learning the hard way still with FFVII and KHIII and need to learn to keep everything within a 2 year window at most. (Obviously, devs need to take some responsibility here as well)

Top Bottom