• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't be holding a press conference at Gamescom 2015

FATALITY

Banned
giphy.gif

Mooreberg

E3 to Gamescom to PAX is overkill given the timing. Plus they are holding their own event again in December. Something was either going to get skipped or provide precisely zero new information.

DeweyChat

Banned
Other years they manage to do both conferences with only 8 weeks between them, they have less things to show this year.

No way the Paris conf will be as important as gamecom

RexNovis

Banned
I think this is a bad move by Sony. It raises question about how much Sony has invested so far this gen. I hope they have some big game announcements and not just a price cut for the Halo PR battle. I think could have at least taken the opportunity to show some indie stuff. Have a dedicated small conference with just indies. Games and developers that will not be getting that may have been over shadowed by all that goes on at E3. Surely Euro devs would eat this up? I personally would like to see more evidence of investment from Sony. Have they really been backing devs or simply taking advantage of devs disgruntled at the competition. It better be a big E3!

LOL! This cannot be serious. Please tell me this is not serious because if not that's one hell of a delusion.

RexNovis

Banned
Go to YouTube, search for "Sony Gamescom" and filter the videos by "uploaded today"

Those are delusional.

I think I'll pass. YouTube is basically a self sustaining cesspool of self righteous humorless bullshit. I was kind of hoping that the post was the work of a new masterful troll.

I think I'll pass. YouTube is basically a self sustaining cesspool of self righteous humorless bullshit. I was kind of hoping that the post was the work of a new masterful troll.

No evidence is ever enough.

Having 4 conferences ain't enough. A slew of Japanese exclusives ain't enough. Dozens of indie announcements ain't enough. At least 4-5 first party announcements at each conference ain't enough.

Matush

Can someone explain to me how is it better to host conference on 27. 10. when PSX will be probably held again at the beginning of December? That's even less time than between June-August. (E3-Gamescom)

le-seb

Can someone explain to me how is it better to host conference on 27. 10. when PSX will be probably held again at the beginning of December? That's even less time than between June-August. (E3-Gamescom)
Because it's just before the holiday season?
Perfect timing to announce a price drop and remind people what games are coming on the system.
You know, to make them buy the system for Christmas and shit.

Colbert

Banned

You are right, IMO the statements are just PR and have nothing to do with the real reasons.

eerik9000

Because it is aimed at European audience and there isn't any better place to do it after Gamescom. PSX is just a rather small American fan event.

Kyoufu

Maybe they're timing it with a big announcement?

A shame

Gamescom is normally the better of the Sony shows. Less of the pomp and circumstance of E3. More games.

Not sure how that Paris thing will go.

Even though you're being sarcastic, the price drop in my mind isn't needed, but is more of a defensive measure to ensure PS4's position in the US. Sony does not want a scenario like last year where MS had massive Black Friday sales and basically caught up to them in the US.
Why? Would Sony lose money in the unlikely event that MS caught up with them in the US?

Ray Down

Banned
Go to YouTube, search for "Sony Gamescom" and filter the videos by "uploaded today"

Those are delusional.

Crapgamer and his band of delusional chuckleheads are prime examples.

"Microsoft big guns scared Sony to leave Gamescom, Xbox won bullshit"

It's funny they actually belive that.

Elandyll

Banned
Because it is aimed at European audience and there isn't any better place to do it after Gamescom. PSX is just a rather small American fan event.

PSX is also far too late in the year to have any significance for the current year really.

It is primarily aimed to be for PS fans and to give a preview for the coming year.

In June we already have E3 which this year "should" be huge for Sony (they have pretty much a wide open field for them as far as the Holidays is concerned, beside the Battlefront co-Marketing), followed by TGS early September, and the Paris Game Expo in late October (which is very well placed for any "right-before-the-Holiday-Season" last minute announcements).

Jomjom

Banned
Well when you have no games what are you going to do a stage show of? Powers season 2?

Just kidding in case theres anyone here whos super sensitive.

FranXico

No evidence is ever enough.

Having 4 conferences ain't enough. A slew of Japanese exclusives ain't enough. Dozens of indie announcements ain't enough. At least 4-5 first party announcements at each conference ain't enough.

Of course not! Indie games don't count! Japanese games don't count! Nothing Sony announces counts, because it isn't here yet and isn't worthwhile!

#PS4HasNoGames #StopBuyingPS4

/s

Crapgamer and his band of delusional chuckleheads are prime examples.

"Microsoft big guns scared Sony to leave Gamescom, Xbox won bullshit"

It's funny they actually belive that.

Funny granted that sony is having a conference on halo release. Their whole scared narrative is bullshit.

pelican

Aren't some over-reacting?

Sony are at Gamescom. They have just elected to do a conference in Paris in October, rather than one during GC. I imagine one on the reasons being there are only 6 weeks between E3 and GC this year.

Game Guru

Why? Would Sony lose money in the unlikely event that MS caught up with them in the US?

Sony's not going to lose money just price dropping the PS4... From what we've heard, Sony has been making bank off the hardware now. They will just make less money on the hardware in the hopes of getting more people to buy software and services, which are the real moneymaker for a console. It's not like PS4 has production issues either. Sony's also been doing well recently now that they've trimmed some of the fat.

Fuck yeah! E3 is too close this year. Save that JUICE for Tokyo and better yet, Playstation Experience!

Gotta get there this year! WOOOO!

Circinus

Interesting, hopefully they have a great E3 media briefing. ^.^

I think this is a bad move by Sony. It raises question about how much Sony has invested so far this gen. I hope they have some big game announcements and not just a price cut for the Halo PR battle. I think could have at least taken the opportunity to show some indie stuff. Have a dedicated small conference with just indies. Games and developers that will not be getting that may have been over shadowed by all that goes on at E3. Surely Euro devs would eat this up? I personally would like to see more evidence of investment from Sony. Have they really been backing devs or simply taking advantage of devs disgruntled at the competition. It better be a big E3!

I think you're taking this a bit too seriously. What do you mean with backing devs? I think they're generally considered to be nice by independent developers. And they also have initiatives like Pub Fund.

JimmyHoffa04

Neo Member
If this was MS skipping GC this thread would be so negative. But since it's Sony, "Yeah!! Can't wait for an awesome E3!!!" lmao

sense

If this was MS skipping GC this thread would be so negative. But since it's Sony, "Yeah!! Can't wait for an awesome E3!!!" lmao
It would be negative if they are not doing one at all. They are just doing the conference at a later time which fits their announce schedule so not a big deal!

They will be back next year imo . They probably just want to announce the big 100$ price cut as late as possible and closer to the holidays

farisr

If it was the same exact thing (doing a conference in Paris instead with the same reason being stated). No it wouldn't.

But, if you were to take this hypothetical, that the conference was cancelled outright and there was no rescheduled press conference, then yeah, I can see the MS thread being more negative than the Sony, simply due to the fact Sony still would have 2 other conferences left in the year, whereas MS wouldn't have any.

RexNovis

Banned
No that's the entirety of the internet.

Hah! Touché. But I would argue it's even more the case on YouTube. Just my 2 cents. (≧∇≦)

Price drop people be delusional. :)

What? Nah man. A price drop is overdue at this point. It's going to happen. The only question has been when and how much. Predicting the possibility of it being announced at Gamescom (prior to this confirmation of no conference) is nowhere close to being delusional. It's a reasonable deduction based on existing factual evidence (historical precedent). Precedent is a magical thing like that.

...I'm not surprised you would say this, but you know how opinions work. I think gamescom was great last year. Alienation and Helldivers were there. The first is a lot of fun and he next one seems like it'll be great. Wasn't Wild and Tomorrow's Children there as well?

Yes. As was Rime, Hellblade, and Volume.

We all know these don't count though. Unless a game has a budget of at least $30 million USD and an equivalent marketing budget then it doesn't even move the needle.

El-Suave

They should move PSX into January in my opinion - new (delayed) games start coming out which you can directly advertise and it gives them more time to get new stuff ready to show. They should not underestimate what people expect from any event that has a press conference that is broadcasted. There is no such thing as a "small" event in this case and people expect each showing to deliver.

2thepoint

They should move PSX into January in my opinion - new (delayed) games start coming out which you can directly advertise and it gives them more time to get new stuff ready to show. They should not underestimate what people expect from any event that has a press conference that is broadcasted. There is no such thing as a "small" event in this case and people expect each showing to deliver.

But it's a nice Christmas gift to Playstation fans.

Where else will they announce TLG?

I think the more hilarious thing is, as I said in a previous post, the whole "Gamescom is bigger than PGW" narrative, and the notion that it means Sony is going to show less stuff at PGW, because it's a smaller show.

Personally, I always felt the whole E3, Gamescom, TGS thing to be highly skewed and misappropriated, especially when it comes to Sony's conferences. I've always looked at it more of a "SCEA Press Conference", "SCEE Press Conference" & "SCEJA Press Conference" angle.

Every year, we have some people saying "b-b-b-but it's not TGS yet, surely the SCEJA press conference isn't all their announcements, right!?" For all intents and purpose, that was their TGS show, and it made absolutely no effing difference if it was held a day before TGS or 2 weeks before TGS.

Does it really make any difference if Sony chooses to announce games outside of dedicated gaming events? SCE have enough clout as a company on its own to basically be able to do an event, and they will have the media attention on them. PSX was a good example of that, where they did their own thing.

Naturally, there's a lot of benefit to having conferences at gaming events. Sony gets to showcase games that 3rd-party publishers already intended to announce/or announced already at E3, whereas they probably couldn't do so if they had an event it like 2 months before E3 and the partner publishers aren't ready.

I fully expect the media briefing at PGW to live up to the overall quality that their Gamescom show has delivered.

Your post is dumb, first of all Sony isn't skipping Gamescom, they are going to have a presence there, and their usual conference is just postponed to the PGW in October.

Lucreto

You do know a GamesCom conference is still a new thing for Microsoft, this would be there third one. Sony has been doing one since the modern show began 2009. They are just delaying the conference to later in the year.

Ubisoft didn't have a conference last year and that was not played up like this one.

E3 is US media focused, Gamescom and Paris are EU focused and PSX is what will happen in 2016.

eerik9000

I agree. If they plan to announce new games (like they did last year), they should move PSX to January or February. They could also make Paris their regular place for European conference instead of Gamescom. That way they would be spread nicely over the year:
January/February - PSX
June - E3
Late August/early September - SCEJA conference
October - PGW

Top Bottom