• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't be holding a press conference at Gamescom 2015

Im done Sony. It started with no games and now no press conferences. Arrogant Sony is back full force.

This was a joke post just to clarify.

The reason they gave was sound, but it was not the real reason, the real reason was REVENGE! For the Xboat at the PS3 launch in Paris. They will do an international price drop to drown out all the noise Halo 5 will try to make on the 27th. Remember Sony made a console just to get revenge on Nintendo for stabbing them in the back.

Bousf

With both Sony and MS starting to gain momentum at E3, Sony's run will now be not only longer, but also evenly intensified. All four conferences are pretty well positioned (three if we exclude TGS, that conference is usually aimed at a particular market), meaning: they have big announcements to make and want to create as much momentum as possible, clearly targetting the holidays (major price drop hint). They should unleash the greatest goods at E3 and PGW, keeping PSX for a more intimate, less agressive, look to the future.

MS will be done with his run by August, so they better wow everyone at Gamescom. Otherwise they'll just sore.

Also, let's drop TLG for now pls, it's too soon, let June start at least, my heart can't take it xD

Rurunaki

Hopefully this means we see more from their first party at E3 instead of them having to space it all out

I'm still thinking 2 or 3 First Party for E3 with multiplat announcements, and with their own event PSX heavily focusing on their Studios.

Not shocked. Between E3, Playstation Experience, and Gamescom - that''s three "major" press conferences (not to mention TGS) a year. Makes sense to trim the fat.

barit

Huge lost for Gamescom. Why even change the date for GC? Stupid german followers. Sony had some amazing PKs at Gamescom in the last years. 2013/14 were one of the highlights for the Playstation universe

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about German culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Germany, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the German public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the PS4 or any first party games, nor will they purchase any future Sony consoles. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and hold a press conference at Gamescom or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about German culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Germany, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the German public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the PS4 or any first party games, nor will they purchase any future Sony consoles. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and hold a press conference at Gamescom or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Let's see if this still works on some

Does Sony not remember the last time they tried to pitch up and do something meaningful in Paris?

mdHhoUC.jpg

eerik9000

Not a huge deal. It's not that there will be one big press conference less this year, basically they are just delaying the conference by two months. Big loss for Gamescom, huge win for Paris Games Week.

For comparison (info from Wikipedia):
Gamescom was first held in 2009, last year's attendance was 335k.
PGW was first held in 2010, last year's attendance was 272k.

Lol no. And come on, they just changed the date, who cares if it's at Gamescom or Paris Games Week, what matters is that it's a European Conference.

Adachi

Banned
For those of you who aren't reading;

Gamescom and E3 are only 6 weeks apart this year.

Sony will still be at Gamescom, they will still have some smaller announcements, but there won't be a conference AT Gamescom.

They are still holding a conference, it is just moved to another event a bit later (Paris games show)

Where are you reading that?

KAL2006

Banned
I'm still thinking 2 or 3 First Party for E3 with multiplat announcements, and with their own event PSX heavily focusing on their Studios.

1. Horizon (Guerilla Games)
2. JRPG (Level 5)
3. New Horror IP (Bend)

I think that's all we are getting. We will probably also get Uncharted Trilogy announcement with exclusive access to Uncharted 4 Beta this fall. The first Gameplay reveal of Ratchet and Clank with a fall release. Then of course more information on games we know about like Uncharted 4, Street Fighter V, Tearaway Unfolded, Until Dawn, No Man's Sky, Rime and etc. The rest will be 3rd party games with exclusive DLC or marketing like Battlefront, Batman and Destiny.

We will see given last year was screamride being the only new announcement iirc apart from Tomb raider deal.

This is true, but I think their Gamescom conference last year was the product of "We want to have a proper briefing, but don't have enough new content to make it great" and as it was, for Xbox One fans/owners it was decent enough but a bit light on new stuff.

This year I think they will have a better show, theres more things that could potentially be there from just first party studios alone between E3 and Gamescom, not to mention any other partnerships going.

Looking at the attendance, PGW is a lot bigger than I thought. Last year they had 272k visitors. gamescom had 335k. That makes it the second most attended gaming expo.

Elfstruck

To sum it up.
- Sony is arrogant
- Sony is doomed
- Sony has no games
- Xbox about to take over Europe

lol god, I love Gaf.

Clearly this french Octoberfest is in response to the panic of Halo 5 releasing that same month. The damage control an't be detected by German radar alone.

Sony we are here for you to cry if you need a friend to lean on.... It's not ME but I'll find someone for you, hey mam? You like Playstion? What? no games? Oh.

Well maybe next year.

Lol I'm just kidding don't be mad.

Ha! It worked! Well done :)

Kayant

This is true, but I think their Gamescom conference last year was the product of "We want to have a proper briefing, but don't have enough new content to make it great" and as it was, for Xbox One fans/owners it was decent enough but a bit light on new stuff.

This year I think they will have a better show, theres more things that could potentially be there from just first party studios alone between E3 and Gamescom, not to mention any other partnerships going.

Yep very true. This last am looking forward to watching it. Even if they go hard as always with E3 I think they will still have something what while like you said.

Lucreto

Disappointing,

Sony's Gamescom conference was the highlight of all the conferences and for the last few years was better than E3.

I understand why they did it but still disappointing.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Wow, then scratch what I said. :p I know that Sony had a big presence there this year and brought a lot of major developers along with them for presentations.

Yup, loads of localisation support for the market there :)

They even get Dragon Quest Heroes before the west!

Ovek

7Member7
Get ready for 2 hours of nothing but boring tech demo's for Morpheus during there E3 press conf.

Yay...

The concept of measuring the 'scale' of a gaming event via the size of the attending audience has always been somewhat faulty, imo.

Because E3 is media-only, it's smaller than Gamescom, etc, but I think it's undeniable that in terms of mainstream consumer attention and games media attention, the E3 event window is the crown jewel, if only because all of the publishers has chosen that time window as their primary platform to announce/unveil new games, stuff, which makes the whole world tune into E3, even if they can't be there.

Consumer-facing events like Gamescom & PGW all have more people at that event, because it's open to public, but in terms of 'media attention', it's smaller than E3 simply because big publishers don't really use those events to deliver big news compared to E3. Even more so when it's a regional event like Taipei Game Show, Tokyo Game Show or Chinajoy, where language barrier limits the attention of the western/English speaking world's mainstream attention to said places.

Sure, Gamescom is bigger, but honestly, it doesn't really matter. By the virtue of Sony having a press conference there, that on its own draws attention. It's these conferences/announcements that help to draw all the attention to these events, and not the other way round.

Get ready for 2 hours of nothing but boring tech demo's for Morpheus during there E3 press conf.

Yay...

Nah, if anything Morph will release around E3 2016, unless Sony announced a Q1/2 release. They have to get the PS4 steam blowing as hard as possible to Push morpheus and also bundles.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The concept of measuring the 'scale' of a gaming event via the size of the attending audience has always been somewhat faulty, imo.

Because E3 is media-only, it's smaller than Gamescom, etc, but I think it's undeniable that in terms of mainstream consumer attention and games media attention, the E3 event window is the crown jewel, if only because all of the publishers has chosen that time window as their primary platform to announce/unveil new games, stuff, which makes the whole world tune into E3, even if they can't be there.

Consumer-facing events like Gamescom & PGW all have more people at that event, because it's open to public, but in terms of 'media attention', it's smaller than E3 simply because big publishers don't really use those events to deliver big news compared to E3. Even more so when it's a regional event like Taipei Game Show, Tokyo Game Show or Chinajoy, where language barrier limits the attention of the western/English speaking world's mainstream attention to said places.

Sure, Gamescom is bigger, but honestly, it doesn't really matter. By the virtue of Sony having a press conference there, that on its own draws attention. It's these conferences/announcements that help to draw all the attention to these events, and not the other way round.

Yeh I agree. Taipei and Tokyo game show are fairly insignificant to Western gamers.

As is the Middle East Gamers day thingy that Sony do.

But they're massive!

PS4 has no games(com).

Brilliant!

Top Bottom