• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't be holding a press conference at Gamescom 2015

This is true, but I think their Gamescom conference last year was the product of "We want to have a proper briefing, but don't have enough new content to make it great" and as it was, for Xbox One fans/owners it was decent enough but a bit light on new stuff.

This year I think they will have a better show, theres more things that could potentially be there from just first party studios alone between E3 and Gamescom, not to mention any other partnerships going.

Well, they could've had a stronger briefing if they took out some of their E3 stuff for Gamescom. Like, Scalebound for E3, and Crackdown for Gamescom. Or announce Ori at Gamescom instead of E3, etc.

I mean, fundamentally, having multiple conferences within a short window are all about juggling what you want to show at where. Ubisoft chooses to just show everything at E3, EA pretty much recycles their E3 show for Gamescom, with some extra stuff every now and then, etc. Sony treats Gamescom as their show where they focus on the more quirky games in their line-up, MS was similar to EA last year in their approach.

Ovek

7Member7
image.php

Yeah no.

They spent a good hour back in 2010 flogging the Move controller to a uninterested crowd, so it's not without president.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Smart I guess (E3 and Gamescom are too close to each other). Sony will still have a presence at Gamescom with booths etc right? Just NOT a conference?

delSai

Smart I guess (E3 and Gamescom are too close to each other). Sony will still have a presence at Gamescom with booths etc right? Just NOT a conference?

This seems to be the case. Skipping all of Gamescom would be really stupid.

They spent a good hour back in 2010 flogging the Move controller to a uninterested crowd, so it's not without president.

They wont make the same mistake again.
inb4 "meh powers guy talked forever"

Adachi

Banned
I'm still thinking 2 or 3 First Party for E3 with multiplat announcements, and with their own event PSX heavily focusing on their Studios.

Didn't Verendus already say that there'll be 3 Sony first party announcements at E3 that Gaf are going to consider big, plus some smaller announcements?

BadWolf

They are outselling the PS2, there is no need. It's 50 dollars more for a console with 50% more power. People understand more powerful things cost more,

It's about increasing momentum and selling more consoles (and thus more services, games etc.)

The X1 isn't even worth discussing, that fight is long since over. It's about growing the install base.

In case it hasn't been posted, MS are going. I think Sony is missing out by not going to Gamescom, but I'm sure they want to save stuff for their own conference at PSX.

UDnJf4D.png

*Edit, I mean not having a conference.

Leyasu

Banned
Wonder what this means for the argument some people were having recently about which conference held more weight, E3 or Gamescom?

Btw, they probably did this because PlayStation Meeting is yearly now.

Came in here to post the same thing... Less than two weeks ago gamescom was bigger, and part of the argument was because of sony taking it seriously.

It's dawning on me now - it'll be sad going through August with no Playstation conference to look forward to. It was practically tradition to get hyped for Gamescom as soon as E3 finished, but that won't be the case this year. Blast these shifting event schedules! I don't understand why E3 had to be held a couple of weeks later than usual in the first place.

I know there's October to look forward to instead, but ehhh, that's so far away. Aeons away.

Raonak

Banned
That sucks but understandable since gamescom is so close to E3 this year. Hopefully that paris show is just as good as last years gc press conference.

Is weird, but I guess since they are so close together, they would have to split their big announcements with E3 to make it worthwhile...and I guess they want to have an undeniably big E3.

That said, it's weird, considering how important Gamescom has been getting in recent years.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, 6 weeks? They're way too close. I suppose that's going to be something that the Gamescom organizers will want to take in account for the next year.

BTW, wasn't E3 hosted in May before, but because of Nintendo's quarterly's earnings (or something along those lines, I might be wrong) they pretty had to set it for June or something?

Game Guru

Makes sense to skip a conference at Gamescom since E3 is just three weeks prior, and a price drop announcement at Paris Games Week instead of Gamescom would give PS4 nearly three more months of sales at the $400 price point. In addition, a price drop announcement to $300 on the day of Halo 5's release would counter the possible boost in sales the XB1 will get from Halo 5. I imagine there will be Black Friday deals for PS4 on top of the $300 price drop, but not to the extent of MS's last year.

yurinka

I assume this means they will have a lot of important stuff to reveal both in E3, Paris and PSX.

If they only would have a few important announcements for Gamescom they would move them to E3 or to PSX.

But if they still want to make a conference between them means that E3 and PSX already have a lot of big stuff and that they have still even more big games to show, enough to make an additional conference between them.

Makes sense to skip a conference at Gamescom since E3 is just three weeks prior, and a price drop announcement at Paris Games Week instead of Gamescom would give PS4 nearly three more months of sales at the $400 price point. In addition, a price drop announcement to $300 on the day of Halo 5's release would counter the possible boost in sales the XB1 will get from Halo 5. I imagine there will be Black Friday deals for PS4 on top of the $300 price drop, but not to the extent of MS's last year.

Oh GAF! PS4 doesn't need a price cut. It's selling at Wii levels with almost no big seller exclusives games out there (that are coming), and Sony needs that extra profit instead.

yurinka

At least you know what people are going to look forward to now if TLG isn't shown at E3.

Edit:

Oh wait. I forgot. There's that one show called, TGS. But no one really expects TLG there, ever.

Edit 2:

It's not that I forgot, but that TGS sucks.

Edit 3:

Okay. Maybe I did forget.

Edit 4:

This is probably a sign of Alzheimer's.
Knack 2: The Last Guardian confirmed to be announced at TGS?

Game Guru

Oh GAF! PS4 doesn't need a price cut. It's selling at Wii levels with almost no big seller exclusives games out there (that are coming), and Sony needs that extra profit instead.

Even though you're being sarcastic, the price drop in my mind isn't needed, but is more of a defensive measure to ensure PS4's position in the US. Sony does not want a scenario like last year where MS had massive Black Friday sales and basically caught up to them in the US.

Well, they could've had a stronger briefing if they took out some of their E3 stuff for Gamescom. Like, Scalebound for E3, and Crackdown for Gamescom. Or announce Ori at Gamescom instead of E3, etc.

I mean, fundamentally, having multiple conferences within a short window are all about juggling what you want to show at where. Ubisoft chooses to just show everything at E3, EA pretty much recycles their E3 show for Gamescom, with some extra stuff every now and then, etc. Sony treats Gamescom as their show where they focus on the more quirky games in their line-up, MS was similar to EA last year in their approach.

They still needed to have a good E3 too though which is why when they didn't have such a large amount of content to announce, Ori was supposed to be out in Holiday 2014 as well so they wouldn't want to leave it that late... you have a point on Crackdown or Scalebound but as I said, for the content they had focusing on E3 wasn't such a bad idea to me.

I'll be surprised if MS have the same problem again though, I think their Gamescom show last year may have been a bit of a late planner as well but I don't know that for a fact, Phil has said that due to how close together they are he is planning them together, Quantum Break skipped E3 for it which was a part of the show I really liked, that was their pretty easy way of improving what the conference was and something they did move.

Faustek

Is it just I that see this as a revival of Japanese software? As in they'll unload tons of Japanese games in the biggest country that really buys Japanese games?

I'm just really stretching this since I want to believe :)

robbo

Neo Member
I think this is a bad move by Sony. It raises question about how much Sony has invested so far this gen. I hope they have some big game announcements and not just a price cut for the Halo PR battle. I think could have at least taken the opportunity to show some indie stuff. Have a dedicated small conference with just indies. Games and developers that will not be getting that may have been over shadowed by all that goes on at E3. Surely Euro devs would eat this up? I personally would like to see more evidence of investment from Sony. Have they really been backing devs or simply taking advantage of devs disgruntled at the competition. It better be a big E3!

I think this is a bad move by Sony. It raises question about how much Sony has invested so far this gen.

How does it do that? They're still going to have a European conference this year, it's just that it'll be at the Paris Games Week instead of gamescom. It gives them more time to prepare stuff instead of potentially retreading content because of how close E3 and gamescom are this year.

How does it do that? They're still going to have a European conference this year, it's just that it'll be at the Paris Games Week instead of gamescom. It gives them more time to prepare stuff instead of potentially retreading content because of how close E3 and gamescom are this year.

Sometimes I feel like people don't read.

robbo

Neo Member
Because we know they would want to show stuff around the Halo launch anyway. It could be seen that they did not have enough to show to do both.

Whut.

Sony's historically never shown anything in the October time window, so how did "we know"?
But, if we get through E3 and come to find out that Sony is relying mostly on 3rd party to push it thtough the holiday season, then it would be a good idea to use the show to "sell" people on what is to come. The late October time frame would be early enough to do that.

Top Bottom