• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't be holding a press conference at Gamescom 2015

There were 3 'new' things at MS's Gamescom last year :

Game Announcement : Screamride
Gameplay Debut : Quantum Break
Megaton : Lara Croft Rises Exclusively on Xbox, Holiday 2015

Oh yeah, the Quantum Break footage with the bridge and everything. Yeah, that was alright. I dunno, I love Remedy, but that game does little to excite for a reason I can't put my finger on.

Cup head annouce at Gamescom right?

Hmmm, maybe. It's all a haze!

Hellblade & Abzu too.

Just not sure why people are freaking out. It's not like Sony won't be there at all, they'll still be on the floor and they can still do Press releases during the show... :shrug:

The "big reveals" will just be at either E3 (early June), TGS (early September) or Paris (late Ocotber) this year, that's all. Gamescom will be for trying stuff out on the show floor.

Abzu was at E3.

Alx

Grimløck;162912478 said:
was paris games week always a thing? first time hearing about it.

It's been occuring yearly for some time, but it never was a press event. Originally it was organized by the local branch of Gamestop (Micromania) to have people play unreleased games.

I don't even remember what Microsoft showed during their Gamescom conference last year, and I watched it live. It seemed like the whole thing was defined/overshadowed by that Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity deal, which isn't the sort of announcement you want viewers to remember the most once the curtains close.

I didn't remember much of it either... apparently it was more about announcements than reveals (Halo beta, cod/Fifa/sunset packs, .indies,...)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/12/gamescom-2014-microsofts-biggest-xbox-one-reveals

koutoru

If they have another press conference at PS Experience, that would only be a couple weeks away from Paris Games week.
Not to mention the VGA's take place around the same time too.

Oh yeah, the Quantum Break footage with the bridge and everything. Yeah, that was alright. I dunno, I love Remedy, but that game does little to excite for a reason I can't put my finger on.

It's not a bad reveal, but it's no Uncharted 2/TLoU/Titanfall-calibre of reveal.

It wasn't the kind of reveal that shakes a house down.

AmuroChan

...I'm not surprised you would say this, but you know how opinions work. I think gamescom was great last year. Alienation and Helldivers were there. The first is a lot of fun and he next one seems like it'll be great. Wasn't Wild and Tomorrow's Children there as well?

Yes. As was Rime, Hellblade, and Volume.

Lionheart

Man, I always really enjoyed their GamesCom press conferences, bummer. I hope the Paris one is comparable. I guess it's understandable though as the dates are much closer. Plus, GamesCom is now scheduled in mid summer. I think a conference there would be missed by many people too as ppl are enjoying a vacation and don't pay as much attention to game news? Hell, they probably want to be on vacation around that time as well. ;)

I do hope this makes their E3 press conference even more packed with new announcements.

Hexa

...I'm not surprised you would say this, but you know how opinions work. I think gamescom was great last year. Alienation and Helldivers were there. The first is a lot of fun and he next one seems like it'll be great. Wasn't Wild and Tomorrow's Children there as well?

Sony Gamescom 2014 Summary
Exclusive Announcements: Until Dawn (ps4 rereveal), WiLD, the Tomorrow Children, Alienation, and Tearaway Unfolded.
Exclusives New Footage: LBP3, Bloodborne, Rime, Helldivers, and Driveclub.
First to Console on PS4 Announcements: Hellblade, Hollowpoint
Third Party AAA: Destiny, Far Cry 4, MGSV, Mordor
Indies: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Volume, Papers Please. Nom Nom Galaxy. Snow. In Space We Brawl. Dreamfall Chapters. Pix the Cat. Ether One. Runemaster. Q.U.B.E 2, etc.

So it was pretty varied.

Macrotus

I don't really understand what Sony's reasoning is with this decision.

Its pretty obvious. Gamescom this year is closer to E3.
Even if Sony held a conference, there would be nothing new to announce from the E3, since they're really close. Its better not to hold a conference if its obviously going to be "meh" because of no new stuff announced.

So they moved their conference to Paris so they have more time to get new stuff to announce.

Sounds quite logical to me. Its not like Sony's suddenly not taking the Germany market seriously, like some people are saying.
And I also think we can expect Sony's intending to go all in at E3 and not intentionally save stuff for conferences afterwards.

Xenus

That's a regional show/press conference though.

So is Gamescon and E3. They just happen to be larger shows in larger regions. TGS has shrunk in important over the last few years but that doesn't mean it's completely unimportant on a global perspective.

oti

Banned
Dat Respektlosigkeit.

But let's be honest, the general public doesn't care. For the press this means more free time. For Koelnmesse this is pretty bad.

Taker34

Banned
Even as a German I don't care about Gamescom. I rather hope they can drop some megatons at E3 and PSX, now that they don't have to split their announcements in three conferences.

Sony Gamescom 2014 Summary
Exclusive Announcements: Until Dawn (ps4 rereveal), WiLD, the Tomorrow Children, Alienation, and Tearaway Unfolded.
Exclusives New Footage: LBP3, Bloodborne, Rime, Helldivers, and Driveclub.
First to Console on PS4 Announcements: Hellblade, Hollowpoint
Third Party AAA: Destiny, Far Cry 4, MGSV, Mordor
Indies: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Volume, Papers Please. Nom Nom Galaxy. Snow. In Space We Brawl. Dreamfall Chapters. Pix the Cat. Ether One. Runemaster. Q.U.B.E 2, etc.

So it was pretty varied.

Yeah, I thought the Gamescom conference was really good especially compared to the terribly inconsistent E3 conference just before it. It flowed much better.

2thepoint

Even if Sony held a conference, there would be nothing new to announce from the E3, since they're really close. Its better not to hold a conference if its obviously going to be "meh" because of no new stuff announced.

So they moved their conference to Paris so they have more time to get new stuff to announce.

Sounds quite logical to me. Its not like Sony's suddenly not taking the Germany market seriously, like some people are saying.

Well, could they not even have a scaled back conference at Gamescom featuring lots of indie announcements, further looks at 3rd parties for Holidays, and maybe one big announcement.

Seems like they could easily do Gamescom & Paris.

Did he? Maybe he's working for Konami.

What's that?

sad-frog.jpg

Well, could they not even have a scaled back conference at Gamescom featuring lots of indie announcements, further looks at 3rd parties for Holidays, and maybe one big announcement.

Seems like they could easily do Gamescom & Paris.

I imagine that would get expensive.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Moving to Paris in order to do a big blowout on Quantic Dream's new game, with home court advantage.

Verendus

Banned

It honestly has little to do with any of that. These conferences aren't just about announcing new games, but promoting your platform. Gamescom is just poorly positioned this year unfortunately. From the end of November until January, you have the biggest period of the year in terms of sales. This media briefing is the answer to that age old question, "What does Sony have for the holidays?" It turns out they have words.

At least you know what people are going to look forward to now if TLG isn't shown at E3.

Edit:

Oh wait. I forgot. There's that one show called, TGS. But no one really expects TLG there, ever.

Edit 2:

It's not that I forgot, but that TGS sucks.

Edit 3:

Okay. Maybe I did forget.

Edit 4:

This is probably a sign of Alzheimer's.

It honestly has little to do with any of that. These conferences aren't just about announcing new games, but promoting your platform. Gamescom is just poorly positioned this year unfortunately. From the end of November until January, you have the biggest period of the year in terms of sales. This media briefing is the answer to that age old question, "What does Sony have for the holidays?" It turns out they have words.

At least you know what people are going to look forward to now if TLG isn't shown at E3.

Look what you've done. You've made me get my hopes up for TLG. I hate you. Not really, but kinda. Idk. I've just been hurt so many times before...

AmuroChan

Nah, that wouldn't give the sales increase the are expecting.

Sales increase but perhaps lower profit margin per unit. When MS had the lead last gen, their strategy early on was to value add rather than straight up price cut. Not saying Sony would follow the same strategy, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did. They already kind of did that last Holiday even though they could've just matched MS's $349 price cut, but instead they chose to keep the price at $399 and just add a couple of free games.

Top Bottom