• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't be holding a press conference at Gamescom 2015

Chobel

It honestly has little to do with any of that. These conferences aren't just about announcing new games, but promoting your platform. Gamescom is just poorly positioned this year unfortunately. From the end of November until January, you have the biggest period of the year in terms of sales. This media briefing is the answer to that age old question, "What does Sony have for the holidays?" It turns out they have words.

At least you know what people are going to look forward to now if TLG isn't shown at E3.

Edit:

Oh wait. I forgot. There's that one show called, TGS. But no one really expects TLG there, ever.

Edit 2:

It's not that I forgot, but that TGS sucks.

Oh, you bastard.

autoduelist

Its pretty obvious. Gamescom this year is closer to E3.
Even if Sony held a conference, there would be nothing new to announce from the E3, since they're really close. Its better not to hold a conference if its obviously going to be "meh" because of no new stuff announced.

So they moved their conference to Paris so they have more time to get new stuff to announce.

Sounds quite logical to me. Its not like Sony's suddenly not taking the Germany market seriously, like some people are saying.
And I also think we can expect Sony's intending to go all in at E3 and not intentionally save stuff for conferences afterwards.

Regarding the bolded, it's more that they want to space out announcements so they can keep a nice tide of hype going. They probably know most of the announcements for both already. That is, they aren't using the time to 'get new stuff'... they already have the stuff, they just want to time the announcements better for us.

orochi91

They already said Halo 5 is getting a custom bundle.

So basically an expensive bundle with all the Halo bling-bling.

Can't see that Halo bundle moving the needle at all if it isn't at $299.

PS4 + MGS 5 @ $299

PS4 + Star Wars: Battlefront @ $299

PS4 + Sony IP @ $299

The possibilities are endless, but Sony needs to hit that crucial $299 price point.

MS don't intend to make profits with the Xbox One in holiday not once in this generation?

I think MS desperately wants to maintain its market share, at the expense of profits during the holidays.

They probably intend to recoup costs through subscriptions/services/software :/

2thepoint

It honestly has little to do with any of that. These conferences aren't just about announcing new games, but promoting your platform. Gamescom is just poorly positioned this year unfortunately. From the end of November until January, you have the biggest period of the year in terms of sales. This media briefing is the answer to that age old question, "What does Sony have for the holidays?" It turns out they have words.

At least you know what people are going to look forward to now if TLG isn't shown at E3.

Edit:

Oh wait. I forgot. There's that one show called, TGS. But no one really expects TLG there, ever.

Edit 2:

It's not that I forgot, but that TGS sucks.

Edit 3:

Okay. Maybe I did forget.

Edit 4:

This is probably a sign of Alzheimer's.

Verendus, just say TLG is dead and we can all move on.

The pain is too much.

I don't want to be old, wrinkly, and tired when this game is finally announced / killed.

84.gif

PS4 + MGS 5 @ $299

PS4 + Sony IP @ $299

The possibilities are endless, but Sony needs to hit that crucial $299 price point.

If Sony indeed announce a price cut in their conference I really can't see the bundles with so low prices. Maybe bundles for $350?

le-seb

And I also think we can expect Sony's intending to go all in at E3 and not intentionally save stuff for conferences afterwards.
They'll want to save something for the press conference at PGW, though.
So, it probably won't change much.

orochi91

Limited edition bundles of hot properties often sell like hotcakes.

Not unless there's a Star Wars + PS4 combo to combat that Halo bundle :3

If Sony indeed announce a price cut in their conference I really can't see the bundles with so los prices. Maybe bundle for $350?

~$350 seems high even with bundled games, but I could see that happening.

Sony loves profits, even if they could have potentially increased market share during holidays :/

Disappointing in the sense that it's always good to have hype trains going (even if they often derail), but I can understand that a 6 week delay between E3 and Gamescom isn't much... And that will make E3 that much more important imo.

It all comes down to E3 then, if E3 does not deliver then not having a Gamescom conference is a bad choice. I was at psx last year and I would love to see them repeat that but, right now I don't know if the conference (psx) will happen and even if it does I'm not sure it will be as good as last year. Sony have TGS too. Will be fun to see what they are going to show during these different events.

AmuroChan

PS4 + MGS 5 @ $299

PS4 + Sony IP @ $299

I don't know what the Sony execs may be thinking, but it's crazy to think that there's a possibility that they feel the need to drop the price of the PS4 by $100 AND include a free game, even though it's still selling at a historic rate.

ZarKryn7

So we should see more of WiLD from wild sheep studios and whatever Quantic Dream's new IP is since they're both France studios.

orochi91

I don't know what the Sony execs may be thinking, but it's crazy to think that there's a possibility that they feel the need to drop the price of the PS4 by $100 AND include a free game, even though it's still selling at a historic rate.

I was under the impression PS4 sales momentum was slowing down, given the sizable decrease in sales in March NPD.

Despite Bloodborne releasing, PS4 sales declined YoY.

If not a bundle at $299, then at least the stand alone version should be at that price.

If the console's price drops to $299 then a console+game bundle for $350 really isn't much of a deal.

That's true.

Chobel

PS2 was selling better.

It all comes down to E3 then, if E3 does not deliver then not having a Gamescom conference is a bad choice. I was at psx last year and I would love to see them repeat that but, right now I don't know if the conference (psx) will happen and even if it does I'm not sure it will be as good as last year. Sony have TGS too. Will be fun to see what they are going to show during these different events.

imas-olympic.jpg

Not unless there's a Star Wars + PS4 combo to combat that Halo bundle :3

~$350 seems high even with bundled games, but I could see that happening.

Sony loves profits, even if they could have potentially increased market share during holidays :/

They will increase their market share significantly during the holidays anyways. MS may close the gap a bit in the US again, but they'll go right back to making it larger again after the holidays.

A $349 Battlefront bundle would be more than enough to counteract a $299 X1.

If both hit $299, then MS will have to go lower because Halo 5 or not, the X1 will not do well at the same price. We've already seen this before.

I see some people calling the gamescom's executives choice to hold gamescom only six weeks after E3 is done "stupid". But it is all about maximizing profits. North Rhine-Westphalia's vacations end on August 12.

Thus said: gamescom 2016 will be on from August 17-21

They already said Halo 5 is getting a custom bundle.

So basically an expensive bundle with all the Halo bling-bling.

The Halo 4 Xbox 360 bundle was the same price as the premium 360 SKU, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was just the normal cost with Halo 5 bundled.

AmuroChan

I was under the impression PS4 sales momentum was slowing down, given the sizable decrease in sales in March NPD.

Despite Bloodborne releasing, PS4 sales declined YoY.

Still has beaten their primary competition every month in NPD so far this year if I remember correctly. I'm not saying $299 won't happen. I just feel like given Sony's track record and current financial situation, a $100 price drop seems a little too soon.

orochi91

They will increase their market share significantly during the holidays anyways. MS may close the gap a bit in the US again, but they'll go right back to making it larger again after the holidays.

Good points, especially this part.

It's really odd though, because I can't help but feel that Sony could have dealt MS a debilitating blow in NA several times by now.

They refuse to do it.

I'm not saying $299 won't happen. I just feel like given Sony's track record and current financial situation, a $100 price drop seems a little too soon.

Oh shit, I had completely forgotten about the overall financial health of the company XD

The Halo 4 Xbox 360 bundle was the same price as the premium 360 SKU, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was just the normal cost with Halo 5 bundled.

Maybe, but I expect them to repeat last year's successful bundle strategy... because well, successful.

Premier Custom Bundle : Halo 5 Bundle (Base Price + $50/60)
Mainstream 2 Game Bundle : Lara Croft Cries & Rise Bundle (Base Price)
White Console Bundle : ... Third-Party Marketing Game Bundle. (Division, or whatever) (Base Price)

This is interesting considering Paris Games Week is when Halo 5 comes out. I guess this means Sony is going to do a price cut to combat the Halo effect?

Speaking of Wild, I find it somewhat funny two of Ubisoft's superstar devs (one former) are both making prehistoric games.

Michel Ancel : Wild
Patrice Desilets : Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

And both also has games stuck in development hell. (1666 because fuck Ubisoft and BGaE2... also because fuck Ubisoft)

Gskyace

Concerns:
PGW doesn't even have an english website, as far as I search on google and their French site.
gamescom is too close to Chinajoy.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Whoa, that's big... Are they just going to go crazy at E3?

that or I am worried they just dont have anything to show, hope it because they are going all out though :/
No, because E3 and gamescom are only six weeks apart this year. They moved the conference to the Paris Games Week (which takes place in October).

Never mind

KAL2006

Banned
That means no PSX as well right?. If they have Paris conference at October isn't that close to PSX which is on the fall.

le-seb

Seems like the perfect game to showcase at PGW since Michel Ancel is French. Same thing applies for Quantic Dream's new game.
Well, Ubisoft and Thrustmaster (both held by some of the Guillemot brothers) are also French.
Does this mean we'll hear from them at the conference, too?

Ensirius

I think Sony's E3 could be something spectacular this year.

Announce 25 mil sold.
Price drop.
Last Guardian.

please?

Maybe, but I expect them to repeat last year's successful bundle strategy... because well, successful.

Premier Custom Bundle : Halo 5 Bundle (Base Price + $50/60)
Mainstream 2 Game Bundle : Lara Croft Cries & Rise Bundle (Base Price)
White Console Bundle : ... Third-Party Marketing Game Bundle. (Division, or whatever) (Base Price)

Maybe. It depends what their goals are, their margins, and what they think Sony will do. If Sony does a full $100 instead of $50 price drop, they'll have to be more aggressive.

Personally, I'm skeptical that Sony can make a profit on a $300 MSRP. We'll see.

Ushay

Literally too good for Gamescom. Shame really.

I'm guessing they have some big announcements lined up, just not in time for Gamescom, in that context I can understand.

DieH@rd

Banned
As long they don't bork the Paris show, I'm not mad for this change.

Wonder what this means for the argument some people were having recently about which conference held more weight, E3 or Gamescom?

Btw, they probably did this because PlayStation Meeting is yearly now.

Playstation Meeting is a rare event where they announce new hardware [they did it for NGP and PS4]. In december Sony has PlayStation Experience.

Top Bottom