• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's project Q to be less than $300? Microsoft thinks so

Mahavastu

$299 -or more- sounds as a good guess. My bet is $349.

It's basically a DualSense + 8" tablet / smartphone. It's not only the display: it needs CPU, memory, wifi, etc.

Don't forget that ProjectQ is mostly a dump screen without much functionality in itself, most work is done in the console (like with the PSVR2). When done correctly, ProjectQ does not need much sophisticated hardware: a minimal ARM cpu with good networking and Image Decoding, minimal RAM for some minimal Linux/BSD like OS, a large battery (but it seems they saved money here). The LED is nice, but not really expensive state of the art, and the Dualsense is proven mass produced stuff Sony has already developed.
The Switch Lite was launched in 2019 for $200 and had much more expensive hardware (for its time) and was most likely sold for a profit.

I would say that Sony could make "enough" profit for $200 bucks, probably for less.
Selling it for more then that would be a really hard sell for such a product.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I think Sony made this thing for fun. They had plenty of DualSenses sitting around and unused screens from other Sony branch like the old tablets they had and they said:"You know what? There is a brilliant idea!". And Project Q happened.

I sincerely think this is an open survey to see how many would complain and curse Sony and demand a true handheld to assess their next move and R&D for such a thing.
A thought experiment?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It's basically a DualSense + 8" tablet / smartphone. It's not only the display: it needs CPU, memory, wifi, etc.
It only 'needs' that if you're building a tablet with controller attachment.
What this really is (according to info so far) is a DS with all of its existing I/O + screen and an ASIC (or extend the existing one) to decode the incoming video.
It doesn't need to run its own OS or any other general purpose compute - unless there's a bunch of additional features still to be revealed that no leak or PR has mentioned yet.

$300 already sounds optimistic to me.
The added BoM can be done in 20$ - even if you throw 80% margin on that and add it to the DS price, it's still a sub 200$ device.

Apple sells computer wheels and stands for how much?
Google and Apple and Garmin sell watch straps for how much?
This with be 249 or 199 at a push.
It's certainly possible - but given they're not introducing a new product category, they'll need to show something that they haven't talked about so far to justify it.

yurinka

It only 'needs' that if you're building a tablet with controller attachment.
What this really is (according to info so far) is a DS with all of its existing I/O + screen and an ASIC (or extend the existing one) to decode the incoming video.
It doesn't need to run its own OS or any other general purpose compute - unless there's a bunch of additional features still to be revealed that no leak or PR has mentioned yet.

The added BoM can be done in 20$ - even if you throw 80% margin on that and add it to the DS price, it's still a sub 200$ device.

It's certainly possible - but given they're not introducing a new product category, they'll need to show something that they haven't talked about so far to justify it.
It needs a CPU+GPU chip, memory, some small storage, a 8" display, battery and wifi to stream stuff. Basically a tablet/phone without GPS and related stuff to make phone calls.

The BOM of that isn't $20 at all. They're basically ducktaping a 8" tablet/phone on a dualsense to make Remote Play/maybe cloud gaming too. It needs a CPU, a GPU, wifi etc. If desired the additional chip to decompress video via hardware too, but still needs the CPU and GPU to track the pad stuff and stream it to the other machine plus, to make the connection and receive and render here the video and audio received.

And that also needs to run under some kind of OS. Which can be some standard one like Android, but also a custom one only made for this.

Last edited:

whyman

Anything above 150 euro AFTER tax is just laughable. This is doomed to fail. We all wanted Vita 2 but they didn’t believe in life.

midnightAI

It needs a CPU+GPU chip, memory, some small storage, a 8" display, battery and wifi to stream stuff. Basically a tablet/phone without GPS and related stuff to make phone calls.

The BOM of that isn't $20 at all. They're basically ducktaping a 8" tablet/phone on a dualsense to make Remote Play/maybe cloud gaming too. It needs a CPU, a GPU, wifi etc. If desired the additional chip to decompress video via hardware too, but still needs the CPU and GPU to track the pad stuff and stream it to the other machine plus, to make the connection and receive and render here the video and audio received.
I agree it's more than $20 BOM, but it doesn't need storage really or a high end GPU/CPU, just a very basic SoC. The BOM will still be less than $100 in my opinion.

midnightAI

I think this device is realy representative of where Sony is today and what they think of consumers. Hopefully the thing crashes and burns to be honest.
I still don't get why people think this is a bad idea? Am I missing something? If this is relatively cheap then what is the issue?

Or is it just because you don't want it then it's bad?

StereoVsn

Issue is. Heavy gaming on the phone, even streaming, is a lithium ion overall life state killer.

Not good for a multi-use device that is running so many background functions with WIFI, BT, cellular, etc..

But if you trade your phone in yearly or every two years, that may not be a bother.
The main issue isn't just the battery being overall degraded, which is still valid mind you as people keep phones longer now.

The problem is people actually use phones for regular life/work stuff. Draining your battery playing more serious games beyond Candy Crush shit is not great if you aren't at home because you may have calls coming in, need to check your email, etc...

Now, this Q handheld is a non starter anyway if that reveal was actual design, but a dedicated handheld could work if don't properly.

DaGwaphics

I mean, it's a remote play device that does no native game processing.

anything above $150 is overkill as far as I'm concerned.

Not to mention you can already do remote play on android / iOS devices.

Agreed. Have they said if it will support PS+ Premium yet? It would be a much more interesting device with cloud streaming included.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It needs a CPU+GPU chip, memory, some small storage, a 8" display, battery and wifi to stream stuff.
No it doesn't.
Again - most of the hw is already in DS (the Antenna for wireless, an Asic that deals with I/O (including tracking the pad, Gyros, touch-input and Audio streams), battery, and enough on-chip memory to deal with whatever streams are being processed).
You can argue that each of these would be updated a bit once you add a screen/video (but the combined cost of that upgrade would still be small) - but at no point you need to add any of the discrete tablet hw you're listing(aside for the screen) - unless you're implementing functionality that just hasn't been announced yet.

They're basically ducktaping a 8" tablet/phone on a dualsense
That might be what they're doing - but that's an assumption based on no information we've seen to date. The info we 'do' have is that it's a DualSense with a screen capable of displaying a stream from PS5. No new inputs, features, or standalone capabilities have been announced to date.

And that also needs to run under some kind of OS
Not for anything announced so far.
If this is their marketing mess-up and they're actually building a standalone device that can 'also' double as a controller (so basically - what PSP could do for PS3) then well - that's on them. But it'd just be adding needless complexity and making it less useable as a controller - IMO all that would do is make its chances (even at a really low price) of success that much worse.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Why do you think it’s good? It will be over $200.
Because I can (or my kids) play the PS5 anywhere in the house or garden with proper controls + decent sized screen from anywhere in the house even if the TV is being used.

And we don't know the price yet so pointless getting upset about it

Last edited:

Calverz

Because I can (or my kids) play the PS5 anywhere in the house or garden with proper controls + decent sized screen from anywhere in the house even if the TV is being used.

And we don't know the price yet so pointless getting upset about it
Get a clip for a controller and use a phone/tablet. It’s utterly pointless and is a test to see what other garbage they can make and get away with. If, it can be upgraded with firmware down the line to allow cloud streaming, I could maybe see it having more value. But right now it’s pointless.

midnightAI

Get a clip for a controller and use a phone/tablet. It’s utterly pointless and is a test to see what other garbage they can make and get away with. If, it can be upgraded with firmware down the line to allow cloud streaming, I could maybe see it having more value. But right now it’s pointless.
Because all that is a pain in the ass...
a phone screen is too small
I don't own a tablet (well, not one suitable for this use)
anyone in the house can use it without handing over your phone/tablet
unless you pair an actual PS5 controller to the phone/tablet you won't have controls as good
and related to the above... Comfort

At the end of the day, so long as you are within WiFi of the PS5 this is basically a portable PS5 (yes, I know it needs a PS5 to function)

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I’m still confused as to the point of this device. Can’t you just use a phone/tablet and a dual sense?

Last edited:

Calverz

Because all that is a pain in the ass...
a phone screen is too small
I don't own a tablet (well, not one suitable for this use)
anyone in the house can use it without handing over your phone/tablet
unless you pair an actual PS5 controller to the phone/tablet you won't have controls as good
and related to the above... Comfort

At the end of the day, so long as you are within WiFi of the PS5 this is basically a portable PS5 (yes, I know it needs a PS5 to function)
Ok. It seems you have a good case scenario to use it then. How much are you willing/hoping to pay for it?

"Microsoft claims that Sony’s upcoming handheld, codenamed Project Q, will cost less than $300. This was revealed in a filing presented to FTC"

Anything over $200 for this thing would be dead in the water. If you can't use it to play games where there is no wifi or it doesn't have an OLED screen, I can see the price being less than that.
I wouldn't pay $99 for it. Just use your phone with a controller. At most I'll pay $50 as a novelty.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'd say anything over $150 it will have issues. You can pretty much use anything to stream the PS5.

$200 is a fine price. It's dead at $250 or more.

The controller it's self is like $70. Plus the screen and internals probably costing $40.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
People talking $99 are out of touch with reality considering controllers are $70. If we are extremely lucky, it will be $199, it's likely more. That said, if it's more than $199 it will have a very hard time selling.

Mr.Phoenix

Should be $100 max for something that is just a streaming device.

The only thing I can see it being above $100 is that it comes with a (fairly expensive) Dualsense built in.

Have they said if the screen will be LCD or OLED ?

Id say a fair price would be $100;

its just basically a controller with a screen that works over local wifi.
let's be reasonable here. The DS controller on its own cost $70.

I have always considered this device as a DS controller with a screen and an SOC that allows for a basic OS, wi-fi, and video processing with a bigger battery and better speakers.

So how much would all that cost on top a DS controller? Screen, SOC, 1 or 2GB RAM, wifi, battery (bigger)...etc. I can easily see that adding on another $50-$60 on top of the DS controller price. Ideally, this device should be sold for $150. If all is fair, but then again, so should the Dualsense edge. If Sony can sell that thing for $199, then I can easily see this being another Duasense edge type $199 product.

Will be totally useless once stick drift starts on it.

I suspect that it wil be a modular controler like the dualsense edge so it can be repaired otherwise I would agree it would be a useless thing to purchase.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It sure should be, it's just a streaming box with a screen.

Edit: I guess "DualSense with a screen" is more accurate. But that still shouldn't be over $200. $150, even.

Last edited:

yurinka

That might be what they're doing - but that's an assumption based on no information we've seen to date. The info we 'do' have is that it's a DualSense with a screen capable of displaying a stream from PS5. No new inputs, features, or standalone capabilities have been announced to date.
The information we have is that it's basically a dual sense (with all its features) split into two, and that plays PS5 via remote play using wifi.

So it needs the components required to make remote play. Which basically are the ones I mentioned.

yurinka

I agree it's more than $20 BOM, but it doesn't need storage really or a high end GPU/CPU, just a very basic SoC. The BOM will still be less than $100 in my opinion.
True, doesn't need high end GPU, CPU or memory, and will only need very little storage. But will need them. Plus a 8" (1080p?) display, battery, dual sense etc. I think it may be more than $100, specially considering that in recent times price components, shipments, etc. increased.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

And that also needs to run under some kind of OS. Which can be some standard one like Android, but also a custom one only made for this.

The Logitech G Cloud regularly goes for $249 right from Logitech's website, and the only profit they're making on it is the actual hardware sale.

With Project Q, Sony is trying to bring more consumers into their ecosystem, and give consumers more incentive to buy games (specifically digital games where they have more of a cut) on their platform.

The intension with Project Q, just like with Playstation consoles, is not to make gobs of money on hardware sales, but to bring more people to their ecosystem.

It'd be insane for Sony to ask $300 for this, particularly since this handheld will have significantly less functionality than something like the G Cloud since it's tied to Sony's ecosystem and you presumably won't be able to play Android games, play xCloud/Luna/GeForce Now/Shadow PC, etc.., play emulators, etc.. etc.. It'll likely strictly be a Playstation ecosystem device.

$200 max or Sony's just wasting everyone's time.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Ok. It seems you have a good case scenario to use it then. How much are you willing/hoping to pay for it?
I reckon somewhere between $150-$200, I can't see it being more than that. I'm hoping Sony go nuts and sell it for $100-$150, I can see it selling well at that price point,.

They could even sell a Q Edge if they want to sell an expensive variant (all the benefits of the Edge controller + OLED display) not that I'd buy that, make it cheap and cheerful I say.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
So it needs the components required to make remote play. Which basically are the ones I mentioned.
RP is a codec with a connection handshake, it doesn't need an OS or a CPU (and definitely not a GPU) to work.
Obviously if they wanted to just reuse the Android or iOS RP apps for this - then sure, you'd need to stick a compatible tablet SoC in there, but that just goes back to what I said about how pointless the entire concept (potentially) is.

yurinka

RP is a codec with a connection handshake, it doesn't need an OS or a CPU (and definitely not a GPU) to work.
Obviously if they wanted to just reuse the Android or iOS RP apps for this - then sure, you'd need to stick a compatible tablet SoC in there, but that just goes back to what I said about how pointless the entire concept (potentially) is.
Seems you don't know how programming works. You need an OS to detect button presses and analogs, trigger the haptics, render the streamed video, to handle the streaming with the console in both sides not only for the original handshake, but during the gameplay, to handle some indicator for battery and wifi signal quality indicator or something like that and a long etc.

I assume they'll use a low spec phone SoC capable of running this and will code a custom FreeBSD OS (Unix family, somewhat similart to Linux), as it's the case of the PS5 OS but limited to only to the remote play functions and basic stuff like to handle connection to the console, battery and switching it on/off, etc.

Sounds that at least at launch it will only be used for Remote Play, but its OS could be upgraded to support also to play cloud gaming directly from PS Plus cloud servers there.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
$200.

For a battery, screen, controller, etc. That's a fair price. More than that nobody is buying this limited use device.

yurinka

The Logitech G Cloud regularly goes for $249 right from Logitech's website, and the only profit they're making on it is the actual hardware sale.

The intension with Project Q, just like with Playstation consoles, is not to make gobs of money on hardware sales, but to bring more people to their ecosystem.

It'd be insane for Sony to ask $300 for this, particularly since this handheld will have significantly less functionality than something like the G Cloud since it's tied to Sony's ecosystem and you presumably won't be able to play Android games, play xCloud/Luna/GeForce Now/Shadow PC, etc.., play emulators, etc.. etc.. It'll likely strictly be a Playstation ecosystem device.

$200 max or Sony's just wasting everyone's time.
Add to this $249 price a bigger screen (from 7" to 8"), haptic feedback and adaptative triggers, plus pretty likely better components and who knows if better battery.

Makes more sense a higher price than $300 for Sony. I think $349 or $399 are more realistic candidates. Yes, $99 or even $199 would be great but it isn't realistic at all.

Sony is very happy with the sales of their accesories, which mostly are premium stuff. Like the Dualsense Edge ($199, without having a display and without remote play).

Last edited:
Project Q SEEMS to be Sony completely out of touch with reality.

I don't see any market for it whatsoever unless it is ultra cheap and just like an extension of the Dual Sense lineup.

The Dual Sense Edge sells for 200 dollars and apparently is selling fairly well.

So maybe for 200 dollars or so there is a market for this after all.

midnightAI

Add to this $249 price a bigger screen (from 7" to 8"), haptic feedback and adaptative triggers, plus pretty likely better components and who knows if better battery.

Makes more sense a higher price than $300 for Sony. I think $349 or $399 are more realistic candidates. Yes, $99 or even $199 would be great but it isn't realistic at all.

Sony is very happy with the sales of their accesories, which mostly are premium stuff. Like the Dualsense Edge ($199, without having a display and without remote play).
Are you working in Australian dollars or something, I really want one of these due to reasons I discussed, but at $349+ this thing would be dead. $250 absolute max

Top Bottom