• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's project Q to be less than $300? Microsoft thinks so

Remote play works really well to steam deck and iPad Pro. I wish it was higher resolution, but it works quite well for me. negligible lag, no streaming artefacts.

I don't really get who the Project Q is for if you have a dual sense and another screen. 200 feels like 200 you could put into a device that does more including remote play, but we'll see what it does when it arrives, and how much it is.

mdkirby

Not sure on the cost of a screen. Sony can prob handle one more cost effectively than others. That said a dual sense is £59.99, a dualsense edge is £209 (about $267)…this thing better come with replaceable sticks too, given I’ve had 4 regular dual sense fail on me. Given the price of the edge, I really wouldn’t be surprised by £250…def no less than £199 imo.

yurinka

Are you working in Australian dollars or something, I really want one of these due to reasons I discussed, but at $349+ this thing would be dead. $250 absolute max
No, US dollars. Sony could do an effort selling it at a loss for $250, but I think it is more likely that they'll have a more expensive price.

midnightAI

No, US dollars. Sony could do an effort selling it at a loss for $250, but I think it is more likely that they'll have a more expensive price.
I think you are seriously overestimating the price of components for this, they'll be making a large profit at $250

yurinka

I think you are seriously overestimating the price of components for this, they'll be making a large profit at $250
I am not. The price -and cost- of a low spec phone or tablet plus a DualSense goes above that, they wouldn't be making any profit at $250.

Last edited:

midnightAI

I am not. The price -and cost- of a low spec phone or tablet plus a DualSense goes above that, they wouldn't be making any profit at $250.
It doesn't need anywhere near the specs of even a low end phone/tablet for the SoC and a dualsense + screen (8 inch LCD 1080p 60hz) won't be a lot to Sony. This is simply a streaming device so it is basically cheap SoC + screen + controller + battery, the most cost will be the screen.

You think a DualSense costs $70 to make? It's probably half that.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Remote play works really well to steam deck and iPad Pro. I wish it was higher resolution, but it works quite well for me. negligible lag, no streaming artefacts.

I don't really get who the Project Q is for if you have a dual sense and another screen. 200 feels like 200 you could put into a device that does more including remote play, but we'll see what it does when it arrives, and how much it is.

What resolution does it run at now on the Steam Deck and iPad Pro?

Dr_Ifto

If lenovo can make the tablet with chrome the same size this will have for less than a hundred, and a duel sense is 70. I can totally see this in the 150-200 range

Crayon

300 would be way on the high side but not out of the question. It might be positioned more like a pro controller where they don't expect to sell many but there's a mad margin. It really is more of and accesory. You could even think of it as a kind of controller.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Seems you don't know how programming works.
Sure.... let's go with that for a moment.
I do know a bit about how DualSense works though - and almost everything you described from button I/O, to haptics, to rendering a stream (Audio instead of Video - but other than bitrate being lower, it's computationally the same thing), to battery and wifi indicator (no screen for it, but it's reported down) including the one thing you forgot - touch-input, is already on-board. Without a full mobile SoC or a full blown OS (it does have a firmware that can be upgraded - so there's some programmable circuitry in there).
Again - connecting a screen and video decoder Asic doesn't change anything fundamental, and it's firmly in double digits $s of added cost to the above.

But you know - don't take my word for it - there was already a product exactly like that was sold 12 years ago - and Nintendo - the same company that charges 50$ for one Wi..switch-mote, charged under 150$ for it.

Sounds that at least at launch it will only be used for Remote Play, but its OS could be upgraded to support also to play cloud gaming directly from PS Plus cloud servers there.
Depending on the kind of upgrade path they want to allow - *that* could indeed warrant more powerful/complex hw - but frankly I have nothing to go on for whether this is even on Sony's radar, let alone if it could be a desire-able feature for the product.

mckmas8808

300 would be way on the high side but not out of the question. It might be positioned more like a pro controller where they don't expect to sell many but there's a mad margin. It really is more of and accesory. You could even think of it as a kind of controller.

Hmmmm......my man, I think you're right. The ONLY way you're wrong is if Sony launching their version of PS+ Premium PS Cloud gaming. If that's the case, then it's more than an accessory but also a trojan horse for PS+ Premium.

mckmas8808

Sure.... let's go with that for a moment.
I do know a bit about how DualSense works though - and almost everything you described from button I/O, to haptics, to rendering a stream (Audio instead of Video - but other than bitrate being lower, it's computationally the same thing), to battery and wifi indicator (no screen for it, but it's reported down) including the one thing you forgot - touch-input, is already on-board. Without a full mobile SoC or a full blown OS (it does have a firmware that can be upgraded - so there's some programmable circuitry in there).
Again - connecting a screen and video decoder Asic doesn't change anything fundamental, and it's firmly in double digits $s of added cost to the above.

But you know - don't take my word for it - there was already a product exactly like that was sold 12 years ago - and Nintendo - the same company that charges 50$ for one Wi..switch-mote, charged under 150$ for it.

Depending on the kind of upgrade path they want to allow - *that* could indeed warrant more powerful/complex hw - but frankly I have nothing to go on for whether this is even on Sony's radar, let alone if it could be a desire-able feature for the product.

OH! It's 100% on Sony's radar.

Sony says it has started testing the ability to stream PS5 games from the cloud. The PlayStation maker says it’s testing cloud streaming for PS5 games and is planning to add this as a feature to its PlayStation Plus Premium subscription.
“We’re currently testing cloud streaming for supported PS5 games – this includes PS5 titles from the PlayStation Plus Game Catalog and Game Trials, as well as supported digital PS5 titles that players own,” says Nick Maguire, VP of global services, global sales, and business operations at Sony Interactive Entertainment. “When this feature launches, cloud game streaming for supported PS5 titles will be available for use directly on your PS5 console.”
A cloud feature for PS5 games would mean you’ll no longer have to download games to your console to stream them to other devices.
Sony currently supports streaming PS5 games to PCs, Macs, and iOS and Android devices, but you have to use your PS5 as the host to download and stream titles to your other devices.

If this thing turns out to be able to stream the Extra and Premium content then it would be worth it. As it is, it’s an LCD with a Dualsense either side. It can’t be expensive.!

Gamerguy84

I have remote played all the way through several games. It is odd trying to do it with a mobile screen.

You have to pair a DS to the phone and when your done pair it back for PS5 usage.

I really like this as a streaming device. Out on my gazebo or anywhere else I lounge around.

Paasei

You can't even use the thing outside of your home (network). There's literally no point in this device.

The only reason to get something like this is the excuse that you have kids and/or a partner who also want to watch TV and you surprisingly only have 1 of those in your house. Then to feed your gaming needs for that maxmimum of 1 hr, you are buying this.

No way that small gap in a day is worth $150 or more.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
You can't even use the thing outside of your home (network). There's literally no point in this device.

The only reason to get something like this is the excuse that you have kids and/or a partner who also want to watch TV and you surprisingly only have 1 of those in your house. Then to feed your gaming needs for that maxmimum of 1 hr, you are buying this.

No way that small gap in a day is worth $150 or more.

You can use it outside of your home network : just create a hotspot from your smartphone.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Then you’d need to connext the PS5 to the same hotspot. Or am I reading the site wrong that is linked on page 1 of this thread?
- PS5 connected to your home.network (obviously)

- Enable 4G/5G hotspot on your phone.

- connect the Device that has no mobile data connectivity capabilities (i.e : that can connect to the internet only via WiFi) to your phone's hotspot.

- Device will be able to connect to the internet and automatically "find" the PS5.

...it's basically how some people were using Remote play for years when outside their own home network 😉

Edit : mentioned on the 1st page of the guide :
"Remote Play can be used with a mobile data connection or Wi-Fi. Broadband internet with at least 5Mbps is required".
Meaning, a device doesn't necessarily have to have 4G/5G capabilities (like this handled device most probably won't), it just needs to be able to connect to the internet

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Giallo, you said it yourself :
It plays well on your iPad, a 350+ to 500/1000 Eurodollars device.

I don't have an iPad, if I want to use remote play what shall I do ?
Option A) Spend 200+ for a project Q that has an 8 inch screen AND joypad included, or
Option B) shell out 300+ for a mediocre Android tablet (Lenovo/Huawei/Xiaomi) etc that has probably the wifi and BT chip on the same SOC (i.e : terrible connection quality/lower internet speeds, shitty BT connection), screwed up button configuration (you can thank Google for that) and having to pair and re-repair the joypad back to PS5 every time ?

It's not a dig towards you man but...90% of the users in this thread just don't understand how remote play works and must have tried it for 5 minutes years ago 'cause, let me tell you, shit isn't as easy or plug and play as they think.

Let me make things easier to explain , right now, there's 3 options :

- Option 1 : iPad/iPhone + Dualsense combo : Things work as they should, not everyone has a 350+ -1000 iPad lying around though.

- Option 2 : Android phone/tablet :
Tough luck if your device isn't properly supported since the button config. is all kinds of fucked up, X button is quare, pressing on the touchpad results in either not responding OR actually activating a.different button, some button actually - get this - also move the camera or the character when pressed etc etc, it's a clusterfuck basically and literally unplayable.
Also, it doesn't matter if you have a Xiaomi or 800 dollars tablet/phone, as an example, Remote play plays normally on the Samsung Galaxy S22/S23 but...tough luck if you have their previous tablet, button config. is still screwed.
On some Xiaomis it works on some others don't, on my Oneplus Nord it sure doesn't as it also doesn't on Oneplus flagships for example.

- Option 3 : Using a Dualshock 4 or a Xbox controller : they do work normally but you lose touchpad functionality (even though the DS4 has one it isn't supported in PS5 games).

So, no, the people that keep parrotting the same ol' tired "lol WHy NOT uSe A 100$ TABlEt lol" literally have no idea of the state of Remote Play right now, it's just the usual hate circle jerk that's found in online forums.

Personally, I wanted to get a tablet lately just for faffing about (streaming films/PS games/xcloud etc), the project Q, for users like me that don't already have an iPad nor an Android tablet is just what the doctor ordered.

Now, if only the muppets at Sony don't release this at 300+ Eurodollars it'll be mine (I think), then again, they're selling a pro Joypad with a 4 hour battery life at 250 Eurodollars so, yeah...

Cheers

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Option A) Spend 200+ for a project Q that has an 8 inch screen AND joypad included, or
Option B) shell out 300+ for a mediocre Android tablet (Lenovo/Huawei/Xiaomi) etc that has probably the wifi and BT chip on the same SOC (i.e : terrible connection quality/lower internet speeds, shitty BT connection), screwed up button configuration (you can thank Google for that) and having to pair and re-repair the joypad back to PS5 every time ?

It's not a dig towards you man but...90% of the users in this thread just don't understand how remote play works and must have tried it for 5 minutes years ago 'cause, let me tell you, shit isn't as easy or plug and play as they think.

- Option 1 : iPad/iPhone + Dualsense combo : Things work as they should, not everyone has a 350+ -1000 iPad lying around though.

Tough luck if your device isn't properly supported since the button config. is all kinds of fucked up, X button is quare, pressing on the touchpad results in either not responding OR actually activating a.different button, some button actually - get this - also move the camera or the character when pressed etc etc, it's a clusterfuck basically and literally unplayable.
Also, it doesn't matter if you have a Xiaomi or 800 dollars tablet/phone, as an example, Remote play plays normally on the Samsung Galaxy S22/S23 but...tough luck if you have their previous tablet, button config. is still screwed.
On some Xiaomis it works on some others don't, on my Oneplus Nord it sure doesn't as it also doesn't on Oneplus flagships for example.

- Option 3 : Using a Dualshock 4 or a Xbox controller : they do work normally but you lose touchpad functionality (even though the DS4 has one it isn't supported in PS5 games).

So, no, the people that keep parrotting the same ol' tired "lol WHy NOT uSe A 100$ TABlEt lol" literally have no idea of the state of Remote Play right now, it's just the usual hate circle jerk that's found in online forums.

Personally, I wanted to get a tablet lately just for faffing about (streaming films/PS games/xcloud etc), the project Q, for users like me that don't already have an iPad nor an Android tablet is just what the doctor ordered.

Now, if only the muppets at Sony don't release this at 300+ Eurodollars it'll be mine (I think), then again, they're selling a pro Joypad with a 4 hour battery life at 250 Eurodollars so, yeah...

Cheers
Some good points here. Personally, if this thing had a semi-decent SoC, Android and access to Google Play I would pay $300-400 since then I could do emulation and GamePass streaming.

Cheers
I get what you're saying, and I know, ipads definitely are more money, I just think the money is worth the extra investment. It does really depend on use cases and all that, and what you're comfortable with.

Rayderism

Every time I hear of this "Project Q", the only practical use I can think of for it is when you have to take a massive dump, but you don't want to stop playing your game. You boot this thing up and continue your game while sitting on the can. So, more like "Project Loo."

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
It will be $249.99

I don't think Sony expects it to sell many. I'm not sure why they're releasing it at all.
249.99 ? brother, (unfortunately) that's one of the best case scenarios 😁
Watch the Sony bean counters placing a 349.99 - 399.99 price tag with everybody losing their shit 🤣

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Every time I hear of this "Project Q", the only practical use I can think of for it is when you have to take a massive dump, but you don't want to stop playing your game. You boot this thing up and continue your game while sitting on the can. So, more like "Project Loo."

What about on a business trip where you're gone from your home for 3 days?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If it is like they're reporting this is probably a bad idea. But kudos to Sony for experimenting and being adventurous.

Top Bottom