• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Direct announced (7.6.17 @ 7AM PT / 10AM ET)

ryechu

Info about Salmon Run has been really inconsistent and conflicting. They said that during E3, but then Nogami said in an interview later that it would just unlock for players once they hit level 4. So who knows anymore

That's not contradictory. Nogami has also said that "like the periodic event of salmon rushing home to breed, the online Salmon Run will also be timed online events." Salmon Run will likely be activated in season from launch. You will need to be lvl 4 and go through a tutorial to access it.

Kicko

One of the most inventive and creative games of the generation makes it's return. I couldn't be more happier as I can't get enough of this franchise. I'll try to find a way to sneak this into my schedule on Thursday lol.

Doorman

The direct earlier this year included a bunch of headline speedruns and segments dedicated to both Splatoon 2 and ARMS and was about this running length. The E3 spotlight was this running length too and contained a bunch of stuff.

If this direct literally is just Splatoon (with guest appearance by Nintendo Online mobile app), then there's definitely going to be some new stuff to go over, better details on some of the stuff we already know (like the currently-debated question of just how exactly online Salmon Run is gonna work), and some recap of the basics. Give me all of it.

The direct earlier this year included a bunch of headline speedruns and segments dedicated to both Splatoon 2 and ARMS and was about this running length. The E3 spotlight was this running length too and contained a bunch of stuff.

If this direct literally is just Splatoon (with guest appearance by Nintendo Online mobile app), then there's definitely going to be some new stuff to go over, better details on some of the stuff we already know (like the currently-debated question of just how exactly online Salmon Run is gonna work), and some recap of the basics. Give me all of it.

I hope they don't spend too much time recapping. Unlike ARMS Splatoon is a known series. We don't need in depth coverage of how the things that have carried over from Splatoon 1 work again. Maybe just some official word on how the old modes have changed

Geg

I hope they don't spend too much time recapping. Unlike ARMS Splatoon is a known series. We don't need in depth coverage of how the things that have carried over from Splatoon 1 work again. Maybe just some official word on how the old modes have changed

That's kinda something I'm worried about, because the NOA tweet about it mentions it being a refresher on Splatoon 2 and the Japanese tweet says it will use all the information released so far to form the full picture of Splatoon 2.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Did the pre-orders for the Splatoon 2 Pro Controller already go up and sold out?

Best Buy had them that's where I got mine ordered. Never saw Amazon go up.

Target still has pre-orders available. I really wanted to go with Best Buy for the in-store pickup but there's not really any reason to stick with them as there's no discount on the controller. Might put one in for Target...undecided.

I just wish I could get a straight answer on the availability of the official carrying case.

Doorman

That's kinda something I'm worried about, because the NOA tweet about it mentions it being a refresher on Splatoon 2 and the Japanese tweet says it will use all the information released so far to form the full picture of Splatoon 2.

This actually makes a lot of sense, considering we've seen disjointed trailers for the various modes by now, but it's actually true that we don't have a sense for "the full picture," as you say. In particular I read that comment as playing into Nogami's comments earlier in the year about how they want each mode in the game to have a stronger connection to each other. We had the Salmon Run trailer, we had the Hero Mode trailer, we had the Invitational Tournament and the Treehouse Salmon Run demo...but we still haven't seen exactly how the disparate pieces connect. If this is the direct where they actually reveal what the Salmon Run rewards are, or how you can unlock Hero Replica weapons to use in battling, or what leveling up in multiplayer might do for you in either of the other two non-competitive modes...that's still pretty significant.

We still don't know some of the more basic stuff even, like how they're going to actually deliver rotation info to people (Callie and Marie not being around and the shorter rotation times might mean no more long, wordy news breaks, but we need some sort of alternative), just what Crusty Sean's food truck does in-game, whether hairstyles and pants and gloves are just selectable from the start or purchasable or unlockable or whatever. There are still weapons that will be available in the game at launch that they haven't mentioned. We've seen nothing of the UI or how the new League Battles actually operate. We haven't seen if the app is going to function as a full replacement for SplatNet including upcoming map rotations and weapon-inking statistics, or if not if SplatNet is going to be updated for the sequel. This is all stuff that still hinges on people being familiar with the basics of the game's structure first, so recapping some of that in order to explain more of the details surrounding them is appropriate.

Grisby

Wonder how big the game is going to be. I'm not a big digital purchaser if I can get it at retail but Spatoon is something that I'd like to have on the memory card.

I just finished the SP of Splatoon 1 which was surprisingly fun, if short. Curious to see what 2 is like.

HYPED FOR THE GOTG!

My hopes/predictions:
Everything we've seen so far is at launch. 6 maps(I actually have no idea what maps are announced, just know the ones at e3.), 3 ranked modes, turf wars, salmon run, dualies.

At least two more ranked modes will come later.

Atleast four more weapon types will come later.

Atleast 20 more maps will come later. Some will be more redone retro maps like Moray.

Atleast four more Salmon Run maps.

Two years of free dlc will come.

And finally, don't lock ranked mode behind single player in a online only game like you did Arms. :mad:

Basically, I want a lot of free dlc over a much longer period of time than Splatoon 1 since always having something to look forward to is the best feeling.

J@hranimo

Banned
HYPED FOR THE GOTG!

My hopes/predictions:
Everything we've seen so far is at launch. 6 maps(I actually have no idea what maps are announced, just know the ones at e3.), 3 ranked modes, turf wars, salmon run, dualies.

At least two more ranked modes will come later.

Atleast four more weapon types will come later.

Atleast 20 more maps will come later. Some will be more redone retro maps like Moray.

Atleast four more Salmon Run maps.

Two years of free dlc will come.

And finally, don't lock ranked mode behind single player in a online only game like you did Arms. :mad:

Basically, I want a lot of free dlc over a much longer period of time than Splatoon 1 since always having something to look forward to is the best feeling.

That's a lot of wants :O

But we do know they will support the game with more DLC compared to the last game, so there's that!

Zedark

lock ... behind single player in a online only game...

giphy.gif

Jubenhimer

Considering this is way too early for me with how I sleep, I'll probably miss it. But I'll watch it when I'm awake. One thing I want Nintendo to do is sell me on this Voice Chat app of theirs. They go on and on about how this is a great idea, but if they really want to ease the pain of that Hori headset abomination, they need to show us why it's a good idea, tell us the features, any planned ones? Is it easy to use? Do we need that headset? Right now Nintendo is leaving more questions than answers and it's anoying people, don't just tell me why this app is a good idea, show me!

LordKano

I wanted to recap' the content before the direct to speculate.
Mutiplayer modes :
- Turf War (old)
- Rainmaker (old)
- Splat Zones (old)
- Tower Control (old)
- Salmon Run (new)
- League Battle (new)

At launch, Splatoon only had Turf War, while Splat Zones was quickly added a few days later.

Solo modes :
- Hero (new)

Again, while it has been expanded considerably according to the producer, the only solo content will be Hero Mode. Splatoon 1 had amiibo challenges to add a bit more content, but they haven't been confirmed yet for Spla2n.

Maps :
- Humpback Pump Track (new)
- Inkblot Art Academy (new)
- Musselforge Fitness (new)
- Starfish Mainstage (new)
- The Reef (new)
- Moray Towers (old)

Splatoon at launch had 5 maps, while a sixth one was released a few days later, and two more the following month. So far, we already know that Spla2n will ship with more maps (or an equal number of new map + one old one) than the first one.

Weapons :
I won't list all of them, but there are 12 returning weapons with a new one (Splat Dualies). It's surprising that they haven't announced any new weapons since January (or I missed something)
Splatoon on Wii U had 11 weapons at launch (including Hero replica). So, this time we already know it will ship with more, but with many returning. The Direct needs to assure that we'll get enough new weapons. 5-6 additional new weapons would be good enough.

Sub-weapons :
7 returning, and 3 new ones (Autobomb, Curling Bomb, Toxic Mist). Better ratio than the main weapons. Splatoon 1 had exactly the same amount of subweapons, and I think they were all already availabe at launch (correct me if I'm wrong). We'll likely get a few more announced during the direct.

Clothes :
There's a shit ton of them.

J@hranimo

Banned
Add League Battle to your list LordKano, we'll be seeing that mode on Thursday no doubt but it is a next mode that was mentioned in a recent Glixel article.

Yukinari

They just need to show us all the maps and modes in the base game and how often Salmon Run is playable.

Its still stupid that you cant just play Salmon Run at any time. I thought it would be like MvM where you can play a version with no loot. I imagine thats why its tied to specific times.

udivision

They just need to show us all the maps and modes in the base game and how often Salmon Run is playable.

Its still stupid that you cant just play Salmon Run at any time. I thought it would be like MvM where you can play a version with no loot. I imagine thats why its tied to specific times.

Wait Salmon Run isn't separate from the rotation thing?

Hmmm... I understand the rotation thing but it makes me not want to play the fame for more than a few rounds.

I'm curious to see what happens with this Direct. Will we just get more information? New modes with information? Some special reveals? It's going to be interesting!

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one, but I didn't quite get what it was supposed to be.

It's kind of like ranked squads in Splatoon 1 where you can play groups of 2 or 4 and play the rotation, except you get points during the 2 hour rotation. After each rotation, you're ranked amongst other players. That's all we know about it.

So is salmon run going to be accessible for offline play anytime?

Hmmm... I understand the rotation thing but it makes me not want to play the fame for more than a few rounds.

Salmon Run can be played locally or online after reaching level 4.

RedFyn

Salmon run has some weird timing thing that we don't know anything about. The devs have made some comments about it being only available at certain times/dates but it's really something we need to have explained in detail. I expect they'll explain everything in the direct.

mas8705

Can't say that I'm shocked about this. Honestly at this point, it is kind of hard to say what else they can talk about at this point since unlike ARMS, we kind of know a good chunk of things for Splatoon 2.

Best I can guess would be:
-Official Details on Story Mode
-The Layout of the Main Hub
-Possible new modes that aren't what we have already
-Even more brand new weapons and subweapons

Regardless, it will be nice to see what else that could be added to the game before it comes out later this month. Hopefully we'll also see a direct for Mario+Rabbids this or next month too.

Is it weird to be excited about a direct with Rabbids as the main focus? So weird...

Zedark

Can't say that I'm shocked about this. Honestly at this point, it is kind of hard to say what else they can talk about at this point since unlike ARMS, we kind of know a good chunk of things for Splatoon 2.

Best I can guess would be:
-Official Details on Story Mode
-The Layout of the Main Hub
-Possible new modes that aren't what we have already
-Even more brand new weapons and subweapons

Regardless, it will be nice to see what else that could be added to the game before it comes out later this month. Hopefully we'll also see a direct for Mario+Rabbids this or next month too.

Is it weird to be excited about a direct with Rabbids as the main focus? So weird...
Would be cool if we got a Mario Direct half-way through August, showcasing Mario + Rabbids and Super Mario Odyssey. Perhaps in the style of a general direct with focus on two titles like we had in April for ARMS and Splatoon 2?

mas8705

Would be cool if we got a Mario Direct half-way through August, showcasing Mario + Rabbids and Super Mario Odyssey. Perhaps in the style of a general direct with focus on two titles like we had in April for ARMS and Splatoon 2?

It is entirely possible. Mind you though that if that were to happen, that probably would occur a week or so before the game would come out. I could see how Nintendo could give the Rabbids the same focus like they did with ARMS and then have a small attachment with Mario Odyssey in the sense of "revealing a brand new level" that has not been seen before. Just a simple minute or two teaser and to hold people off until October.

Neiteio

Nice! Really looking forward to this game, especially now that E3 confirmed you can replay each story mode level with each of the nine different hero weapons.

Zedark

It is entirely possible. Mind you though that if that were to happen, that probably would occur a week or so before the game would come out. I could see how Nintendo could give the Rabbids the same focus like they did with ARMS and then have a small attachment with Mario Odyssey in the sense of "revealing a brand new level" that has not been seen before. Just a simple minute or two teaser and to hold people off until October.
Mario + Rabbids is on a rather short reveal-to-release trajectory, so in that sense it wouldn't be strange to do a Direct on it that late. Getting a last big push just before release with the Direct would fit that trajectory, assuming Ubisoft will ramp up marketing during this month (as we read in the leaked marketing material).

I wonder if they would spend as much time on it as they did with ARMS, though: Mario + Rabbids is not managed by Nintendo themselves, after all.

Neiteio

I wanted to recap' the content before the direct to speculate.
Mutiplayer modes :
- Turf War (old)
- Rainmaker (old)
- Splat Zones (old)
- Tower Control (old)
- Salmon Run (new)
- League Battle (new)

At launch, Splatoon only had Turf War, while Splat Zones was quickly added a few days later.

Solo modes :
- Hero (new)

Again, while it has been expanded considerably according to the producer, the only solo content will be Hero Mode. Splatoon 1 had amiibo challenges to add a bit more content, but they haven't been confirmed yet for Spla2n.

Maps :
- Humpback Pump Track (new)
- Inkblot Art Academy (new)
- Musselforge Fitness (new)
- Starfish Mainstage (new)
- The Reef (new)
- Moray Towers (old)

Splatoon at launch had 5 maps, while a sixth one was released a few days later, and two more the following month. So far, we already know that Spla2n will ship with more maps (or an equal number of new map + one old one) than the first one.

Weapons :
I won't list all of them, but there are 12 returning weapons with a new one (Splat Dualies). It's surprising that they haven't announced any new weapons since January (or I missed something)
Splatoon on Wii U had 11 weapons at launch (including Hero replica). So, this time we already know it will ship with more, but with many returning. The Direct needs to assure that we'll get enough new weapons. 5-6 additional new weapons would be good enough.

Sub-weapons :
7 returning, and 3 new ones (Autobomb, Curling Bomb, Toxic Mist). Better ratio than the main weapons. Splatoon 1 had exactly the same amount of subweapons, and I think they were all already availabe at launch (correct me if I'm wrong). We'll likely get a few more announced during the direct.

Clothes :
There's a shit ton of them.
You can replay every story mode mission with each of the nine weapons. That means this already has WAY more solo content than Splatoon 1 did with its amiibo.

Soul Lab

We really need some new weapons (main,sub and special; all of them!).
Most important thing are new weapon classes though. Dual wield is nice but there has to be more

Top Bottom