• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon wins 'Best Multiplayer' and 'Best Shooter' @ TGA 2015

Nintendo's racing game isn't a racing game.
Nintendo's fighting game isn't a fighting game.
Nintendo's shooter isn't a shooter.

Awesome.

This happened to me as well. I haven't played the game in a couple months, because I actually started noticing some potential personal problems. It's the first time I've actually gotten worried about getting addicted to a game.

I plan on playing it again soon but I'm going to have to set some strict limits for myself. Yes, the game is that good.

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Aroll

Laugh all you want, I can never see such a game taking priority by console gamers who play COD and Destiny and shooters that sell 20 million.

And no one is calling it a COD or Destiny game - though that doesn't mean it can't sell 20 million some day (I mean, not this version, but if Nintendo has a massive console audience again some day). Not all shooters need to be or feel the same. Variety is the spice of life.

And laughing at gun control, when a gun kicks at 10 o clock and you have to control its recoil to be accurate, feather the trigger quickly to help reset the sights..centre speed....you guys really are on a different page.

Go read Hey den and the depth of the gun analysis in COD for one example...and then comment.

So you're saying it's not a COD game, but you keep insisting that it be compared to COD. Why can't you make up your mind on this? Have you read in-depth about the weapon analysis in Splatoon. ALl the variance to play styles? How to recover well off recoils, how to quick scope, no scope, etc? The funny thing is - in all of this Splatoon does it too. It just does it in it's own, unique, way.

Would I call garden warfare a 'gun play shooter' - no I would not. you point and shoot peas or whatever, but there is no real 'gun play'. Do I enjoy garden warefare - yes it was fun, but its not a gun play shooter to compete with what I believe shooter fans want on console.

These games are fun but will make no head way into the really popular shooters imo.

There seems to be a disconnect here. No one is pretending Splatoon is going after the Call of Duty audience. Battlefield tries to do that almost yearly, Medal of Honor tried, as have almost every multplayer shooter made in the last 10 years. Nintendo is going for the "Pasta Sauce" approach (seriously, best Jimquisition episode ever). As in, everyone is trying to make the same kind of game in the same genre to appeal to the exact same crowd.

So in this case, Call of Duty would be traditional pasta sauce. It's the most popular kid on the block. Everyone loves it. Except those that don't. Some prefer their sauce chunky. Some prefer extra garlic. Some like their sauce spicy or meaty. The biggest problem with multiplayer shooters has been the extreme focus on two mediums - military shooters and scifi shooters.

Nintendo said nope, we're not doing that. We're creating Zesty pasta sauce. It's still Pasta Sauce. It's just a totally different kind of Pasta Sauce. In this case, it's still an online multiplayer shooter that has all the makings the other pasta sauce (traditional) has in terms of the core gameplay. Then it goes off and does it's own thing with it, creating a brand new flavor of shooting games.

Lets take the garden warfare example as that does not bring out the Defenses....That is a 'fun' shooter I guess, it does not really have gun play and yes it has quite a few different guns...But the appeal and audience is VERY different and is a fun distraction..

All video games are at the heart of it are fun distractions. It's an entertainment medium. If you mean Garden Warfare is designed to be a side distraction to Call of Duty fans? Sure. It pretty much directly targets them using the Warfare mantra. But that's the thing - Splatoon doesn't target them at all. They completely forgo that audience and strive to create a new one. Providing a game that people didn't realize they wanted in that genre.

I would put Splatoon into the same category, not saying its bot a great game, but some posters on here thinking it would worry activision like i read in some posts is what made me post as its just missing the point by a mile

I doubt Activision is worried at all. It doesn't even go after the same audience and even if it did - so does Destiny. So does Titanfall. So does Battlefield. Nothing to be worried about.

You want to understand why some people dismiss Splatoon as a shooter alternative to the main shooters in the market, I explained why in a little detail.

The reasons it's dismissed by say, Call of Duty players is really basic and it has nothing to do with the intricate details of what makes a shooter... because factually Splatoon has all of that save the online voice chat.

It's much simpler than that.

- It's a Nintendo game. By definition to many that means kiddie.
- It's art style goes against the grain for the medium. Again, considered kiddie.
- The game is about territory more than killing, though killing is still extremely important.
- The game uses ink instead of bullets - again, kiddie.

That's it. It has nothing to do with mechanics, controls, or the finer details that make a shooter a shooter, because Splatoon has that. It's just a slew of petty reasons used to dismiss any game that doesn't look and feel like the games you know and love. But that's totally fine because that isn't the demographic Nintendo is targeting. They aren't going after those players. They are providing to a desire in the same genre that is being ignored previously for the most part.

Its not the cartoon stuff its the gun play which I tried to articulate is why the destiny, Halo and COD are lumped together and Splatoon is a different demographic APPEAL imo.

We agree here that Splatoon is going after a different crowd - but they are doing it within the same genre. Because factually, Splatoon has all those mechanics you keep saying it doesn't have. That's not what is making that crowd dislike it. It's literally the fact it's a ink based territory game that looks like it's for kids. There is nothing more or less to it than that. You can argue against it, but any seasoned Splatoon player can easily show you that all that finer stuff that creates that "gunplay" exists in Splatoon.

Never said I did not like spatoon, just EXPLORING reasons why some dismiss it as a shooter in the COD / Destiny / Halo / BF category.

And if those are the reasons, than that's because they haven't played it - and the reasons they haven't played it have nothing to do with those poitns since they are factually incorrect. It has to do with the points you say that it doesn't, because you can't argue against facts.

Oh god this thread, I browsed around the Internet and the so called dude Bro shooter fans list stuff that Splatoon does not have but it actually does or dismiss it as it's fun but kiddy and Nintendo is overrated and that the game have been done before.

Zia

Laugh all you want, I can never see such a game taking priority by console gamers who play COD and Destiny and shooters that sell 20 million.

And laughing at gun control, when a gun kicks at 10 o clock and you have to control its recoil to be accurate, feather the trigger quickly to help reset the sights..centre speed....you guys really are on a different page.

Go read Hey den and the depth of the gun analysis in COD for one example...and then comment.

Would I call garden warfare a 'gun play shooter' - no I would not. you point and shoot peas or whatever, but there is no real 'gun play'. Do I enjoy garden warefare - yes it was fun, but its not a gun play shooter to compete with what I believe shooter fans want on console.

These games are fun but will make no head way into the really popular shooters imo.

The games you're citing feel like dull, neutered versions of games I love in the PC space. Splatoon succeeds for me because it's doing its own thing.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So, its a 'fun distraction' (new code word for 'kiddy'?) Because it doesn't have accurately modelled AR15's or whatever? Lol. And mentioning Destiny as a game with better gunplay? It's 30fps, the PvP is awful and, like all console shooters when you compare them to Splatoon, it controls like crap.

This made me laugh out load, always new monikers with Nintendo :)

Tuck

It certainly deserves the best shooter crown, and maybe multiplayer too (Though Rocket league comes hella close, and doesn't have the batshit stupid restrictions that Splatoon's multiplayer does).

Amazing game. Glad it paid off so well for Nintendo.

Anyone saying Splatoon is just a silly distraction really needs to try and play it. Game is legitimately hardcore, I can't get good at it. T-T And I'm good at aiming to boot.

So much going on in that game.

JCX

Makes sense. Rocket League and Splatoon over the summer was multiplayer heaven. Rainmaker puts Splatoon on top for me though. That and Splatoon has a joy of movement not found in many games.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm pretty surprised that it won at an awards show like this. Good for Nintendo.

I'm not really a big fan of online shooters, but I enjoyed most of my time with Splatoon. I like how I can mostly avoid conflict, and instead just ink everything I can see, and still feel like I'm contributing to the team.

You're deluding yourself if you think the mass market appreciates any of this. It's like saying FIFA is popular because of ball physics, even though PES did it better for a long time.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Maengun1

I like Splatoon but I won't love it until they remove the shitty 2 maps at a time in rotation limit. Just allow all tha maps to be in rotation, all the time.

This is my one and only complaint with the game as well. I wish they'd just let everyone in the match vote on stages like in Mario Kart. I rarely get to play for more than an hour a day and I feel like there's a couple stages I haven't even seen in months because they're never in rotation when I'm online.

Kyzer

Banned
Lmao at the blatant salt

"Pretending to have reasonable criticism of the game, being justification for why i dont agree with it winning the award, slowly snowballing into admitting I played it for a little at my nephews house, ultimately I will never actually play it also I hate Wii u."

Started off with a nice facade there and then just kinda showed your true colors

Saltsaltsalt

Mega

Banned
That is not my point really, I was responding to the post

You want to understand why some people dismiss Splatoon as a shooter alternative to the main shooters in the market, I explained why in a little detail.

Its not the cartoon stuff its the gun play which I tried to articulate is why the destiny, Halo and COD are lumped together and Splatoon is a different demographic APPEAL imo.

Never said I did not like spatoon, just EXPLORING reasons why some dismiss it as a shooter in the COD / Destiny / Halo / BF category.

Do you really feel your reasoning is valid? Maybe consider that you're judging Splatoon from a very narrow, and frankly silly, POV of what constitutes a good, real shooter. Not only that, but you're also underestimating the complexity of the gunplay mechanics, and general gameplay mechanics, and in a sense reducing it in the same way as someone who thinks it's a dumb kiddy game. A lot of what you've said is simply untrue and and makes you come off as uninformed and not credible.

Aroll's post above demolishes your weak arguments. Really, have you played the game at length and played against A and S rank players? Or are you speaking out of frustration that your favorite yearly vanilla console shooters didn't sweep? Maybe we should get some PC guys in here to tear apart how your "real" shooters with assist aiming and casual appeal are not serious shooters themselves.

KevinCow

Banned
Is "Splatoon isn't a real shooter" the new "Smash isn't a real fighter"?

This is my one and only complaint with the game as well. I wish they'd just let everyone in the match vote on stages like in Mario Kart. I rarely get to play for more than an hour a day and I feel like there's a couple stages I haven't even seen in months because they're never in rotation when I'm online.

The problem with that is that you'd wind up playing only the two or three most popular maps over and over again. It's like how I've literally never seen a map in Counter-Strike besides de_dust2.

bluexy

I get, mostly, Best Shooter for Splatoon. It's colorful and light-hearted, quirky and inventive in ways that Shooter v.2015 isn't.

But Best Multiplayer? Especially with the way they've locked on-disc content and released it week by week. And that's on top of the Wii U's -still- woefully inadequate online features. Nintendo gets such as free pass on everything just for being Nintendo.

Its a fun game, I ended up with a love hate relationship, esp. after about 200 games in ranked and being in B+ most of that time.
I dont think 'fun distraction' is a dirty word here, game has some really fun times, and some awful times (mall).

Its 2015, people try to turn everything into a esport, so pointless mentioning how awful ranked is as someone will get upset,

Forkball

Nintendo's racing game isn't a racing game.
Nintendo's fighting game isn't a fighting game.
Nintendo's shooter isn't a shooter.

Mario's not even a platformer. I mean, you aren't even on platforms for large portions of the game.

Outside of Rocket League, the rest are sequels. Blops 3 and Halo 5 are probably have great multiplayer, but is it really something refreshing if you've played the past games? Splatoon manages to offer something that is both built on shooter fundamentals while also giving players something different and innovative.

Cipherr

SONY and Nintendo really hit it out of the ballpark with sackboy and the inklings

They are both legitimately some of the best char creation in the industry in YEARS. Sackboy/girl and the Inklings are just really great design. Only Ori's art direction really comes close to either of them IMO.

KevinCow

Banned
And at the top of the list, Pants!

Pants, and the ability to equip clothes and perks separately. I don't like how my character's fashion sense is dictated by which items of clothing have the best perks. I want her to look as fresh as possible, and I can't do that when I feel like I must keep my white anchor tee equipped so I can have Ninja Squid.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The fact that Splatoon made Japan serious about the Shooter genre is already GOAT worthy, let alone some awards from TGA.

Congrats Splatoon!

Yeah, one of the most amazing things to happen this generation was japan getting super invested in a shooter, a shooter from nintendo

Well deserved. Some of the most fun I've had since I was a kid. This is coming from someone who prefers single player games. I've been playing this title all the time since it released. I occasionally take breaks and play other titles but I always go back to playing Splatoon eventually.

Hopefully they add a third stage choice. As well as allowing friends/parties to play on any stage and mode they want. I'd also like to see the ranked modes have a different rotation period as well as I stopped playing cuz it's always tower control. I actually like tower control but I don't want to only play that mode.

Also idk how I feel about their matchmaking system. They seem to match people by weapon choice which often times becomes annoying when there is a huge variety of weapons but you're stuck in a room full of only dynamo rollers, inkbuckets, and dual squelchers. I've noticed that no matter what weapon I choose I tend to be put in the same party as people that use that weapon or after a couple matches they add in other people that are using the same weapons as the others in the group. It doesn't seem as fun to me but I understand they may want to do that for balancing purposes. It's also probably why they don't allow gear and weapon changes after a match without leaving the group.

I get, mostly, Best Shooter for Splatoon. It's colorful and light-hearted, quirky and inventive in ways that Shooter v.2015 isn't.

But Best Multiplayer? Especially with the way they've locked on-disc content and released it week by week. And that's on top of the Wii U's -still- woefully inadequate online features. Nintendo gets such as free pass on everything just for being Nintendo.

It's a multi-player shooter. Unless the shooter award was for that brief campaign the game was judged on its competitive component for both categories.

Have you played it? I'd say the game play is very one of a kind and forces you to think and approach things in a much different way. Let's also not forget that while for the first two months of release they unlocked on disc content, they also have been giving out free DLC for 6 months and they promised they will at the least keep providing new content until January.

HeroR

Lets take the garden warfare example as that does not bring out the Defenses....That is a 'fun' shooter I guess, it does not really have gun play and yes it has quite a few different guns...But the appeal and audience is VERY different and is a fun distraction..

I would put Splatoon into the same category, not saying its bot a great game, but some posters on here thinking it would worry activision like i read in some posts is what made me post as its just missing the point by a mile

Question. Are all games fun distraction unless you play them professionally?

VillageBC

I only played the best games of that nomination list. Splatoon and Rocket League. I assume the other sequels are largely like the prior games and largely didn't deserve to win as they brought nothing new to the table.

HeroR

I wish more shooters had gyro :C

Personally, it is the only way I can play shooters. I can't play with a duel stick to save my life despite liking shooters. Motion controls is the best thing that could have happened since it allowed me to really play this genre.

Nanashrew

Banned
Personally, it is the only way I can play shooters. I can't play with a duel stick to save my life despite liking shooters. Motion controls is the best thing that could have happened since it allowed me to really play this genre.

It's actually the same for me too. I've always struggled with dual stick and always under or overshoot the target. I can't make the tiny adjustments like most can with that setup. But gyro has been amazing, I've never been so accurate or felt competent to a team before and it feels great!

WillyFive

I wish other shooters felt like Splatoon. Its the simple things, like having a soundtrack play during a match, that helps to make it really special.

Nosgotham

You can absolutely tell the posters who either never played splatoon or only played on a brief surface level. It's pretty fucking funny to be honest.

I love halo 5 but it needs more content(which it's getting). When I'm playing halo I miss how fast getting into a game is on splatoon.

Kangi

You can absolutely tell the posters who either never played splatoon or only played on a brief surface level. It's pretty fucking funny to be honest.

I love halo 5 but it needs more content(which it's getting). When I'm playing halo I miss how fast getting into a game is on splatoon.

Just like how you can tell which Splatoon players have played too much CoD. "Congrats on the positive K/D! You got less than 200p. Please never get matchmade with me again."

sfried

Nintendo haters are gonna keep hatin'.

I honestly could've cared less about the awards, but I'm glad Splatoon deserved the recognition, even if a vocal majority here disagree.

Top Bottom