• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon wins 'Best Multiplayer' and 'Best Shooter' @ TGA 2015

Mesoian

I was interested in playing this game, but I always feared that it would get boring fast. Is it as replayable as Mario Kart or Smash Bros?

What about playing with my girlfriend? Are we stuck in 1vs1 mode or vs CPUs, or can we play online together? I think I heard it's 1vs1 only, but that looks like it will get boring fast. The game seems more fun while playing with more people.

You can play LAN now, but honestly, like most shooters, if you want to play together, you'll need two stations.

It's a bummer, but that's video games now. I'm not super pleased about it either.

Honestly, it's the 3 minute formula that keeps it fresh. Even if you get stomped, you're never languishing in defeat long enough to get frustrated. It's just "okay, that was bad, let's do it again".

I had more than one dream about Splatoon after playing the testfire but before actually buying it - it's that good.

I held off for way too long, got it on Black Friday and have found myself thinking about it alot randomly. It is really fun. Pulled me completely away from Battlefront and Halo 5. Hell, it's even pulling me away from Fallout 4.

Crisium

Nice to see it recognized. It wins both those awards for me. I haven't played in a few months but honestly that's because I played it waaaay too much in the summer so I wanted to try other things. I will return. Just playing Battlefront recently makes me clamor for Splatoon since it is far deeper. I've never seen a shooter prioritize controlling space like Splatoon and not having traditional guns gives it more freedom to have variety in weapons. It's so fresh.

trixx

Personally I would've said Halo 5 for best shooter followed by splatoon than Black ops. Could see Destiny winning as well, but it won last year?

Splatoon is wonderful, also they released a map last night. Still insanely fun. Just change the map change time, for goodness sake.

imjust1n

Banned
I'm very happy splatoon is reconized and beats out typical shooters and typical multiplayer games it's a very fun game and it shows cod and halo is a dying breed.

Who knew a Nintendo shooter would have the most efficient server/matchmaking of 2015?
Still boggles my mind how smooth it is, especially after how Rainbow's alphas/betas went and how busted BF4 and MCC were out the gate - and obviously they've all had like a decade of experience and severwork.

Says a lot for how bad shooters were this year, honestly. Not that I'm doubting Splatoon is "bad" or anything, in fact, I'd like to play it one day, but you would have thought one of the "heavy hitters" would win over the more "niche" Splatoon. If anything, hopefully this encourages Nintendo to keep making new IPs instead of just being a Mario factory.

I held off for way too long, got it on Black Friday and have found myself thinking about it alot randomly. It is really fun. Pulled me completely away from Battlefront and Halo 5. Hell, it's even pulling me away from Fallout 4.

I was trying to hold off until I finished my current project, but I broke down yesterday and used some birthday money to buy it. Was looking forward to trying out the 1P mode for the first time but ended up just playing multiplayer repeatedly. And I'm someone who usually hates multiplayer games.

Robotguy

I almost can't imagine playing shooters solely with dual stick now. The funniest thing is one of the best players of this game on this site uses dual stick and is a beast. :lol

The game is good guys.
I heard that Yugo uses motion now, but yeah it is possible to play the game at an extremely high level with sicks only even though most of the people in the competitive community use gyro.

Geg

You could of had it for $25-30 last week and it has a pretty fleshed out single player. Just as much content if not more than most shooters single players, maybe with the exception of a Halo campaign (haven't seen or heard of Halo 5's campaign). You should probably inform yourself more before getting all salty your favorite game didn't win an award.

But Splatoon community on here is almost as bad as the FROM software community in regards to throwing around their love for the game in every thread possible and then rubbing the success in peoples faces. Tiresome.

Most of the people I see praising Splatoon in threads like these aren't really a part of any Splatoon "community" here, as in regular posters in the OT or whatever. They're just fans who like the game and are happy to see it succeed despite the odds being against it.

Well deserved i must say.
Why is taken king there? It's just DLC, kinda like the Oscars giving out nominations too old movies because they now have a Directors cut.

I was interested in playing this game, but I always feared that it would get boring fast. Is it as replayable as Mario Kart or Smash Bros?

Totally (in my opinion, at least).

What about playing with my girlfriend? Are we stuck in 1vs1 mode or vs CPUs, or can we play online together? I think I heard it's 1vs1 only, but that looks like it will get boring fast. The game seems more fun while playing with more people.

Unfortunately, the only kind of local multiplayer is the 1v1 mode. The Wii U is not powerful enough to handle 2 players on the same console for online battles; it halves the framerate for just the 1v1 mode.

You two can just take turns, though. Watching the game is also pretty exciting in its own right.

COD got robbed... Co-op missions, zombies and competitive multiplayer. Paint shop and theater mode are nearly core multiplayer features. It is irrelevant that COD is released every year, it should be measured as a separate game.

Splatoon is fresh and fairly unique, but the category wasn't for that.

COD got robbed... Co-op missions, zombies and competitive multiplayer. Paint shop and theater mode are nearly core multiplayer features. It is irrelevant that COD is released every year, it should be measured as a separate game.

The category was for Best Shooter, not Best Amount of Modes.

M3d10n

Splatoon is basically Nintendo's TF2 (the PC version, not the console versions). The steady (and free) post launch support is unheard of in console gaming.

RMI

Banned
Cool. Honestly I haven't spent that much time with Splatoon. The only other multiplayer shooter I have played this year is Blops 3, and I played a shit ton of that (and I guess you can say that I enjoyed it more in that regard), but I recognize that Splatoon is doing something really cool and deserving of recognition. They earned it.

15%2B-%2B1

lol omg.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Despite all those modes, Splatoon is still more fun. More modes doesn't mean more fun.

myco666

You can turn it off if you don't like it.

What you should learn how to do, though, is learn how to use both at the same time. Sticks are wide motions, gyro for fine motions.

You can disable gyro

You can turn it off, which I did at first, but it's true that if you can get used to it, you will be smoking players who don't use it.

You can turn it off, but I actually found it to be a much better way to play. Takes about 10 minutes of getting used to but it is way more responsive than using the right stick for aiming.

Thanks for the info!

I tried the testfire demo when it was last on and used the gyro aiming and it felt actually good for the fine tuning of the aim but it still felt confusing as I've never played anything like it. Just was worrying that if I don't get used to it but still had to use it.

Lothars

Splatoon is basically Nintendo's TF2 (the PC version, not the console versions). The steady (and free) post launch support is unheard of in console gaming.
The difference is most of the content was on the disk at launch and took like 4 months before it was released.

It's fantastic they are supporting it with more content but it was content starved at launch.

Mesoian

I wonder if COD would have been looked at more favorably if it hadn't gotten bogged down by the card stuff. Halo 5 as well. Seems like no one cared for any of that mess and it hinders the modes that were supposed to set the games apart from the rest of the crowd.

Ogodei

I never could get myself to adapt to gyro controls for whatever reason. Which is a shame, i took to gyro controls on, say, the Zelda 3DS games' archery like a duck to water (made some once-hard minigames into a breeze).

This is well deserved. Splatoon was definitely my unexpected hit of the year, though i haven't unboxed XCX yet...

Leatherface

Splatoon is unbelievably awesome. It's one of the best and most original games I've played from Nintendo in a long time. I can't recommend it enough to people. These awards were well deserved. If you are a multiplayer shooter fan you owe to yourself to play it.

I don't see Nintendo making Splatoon into an unoptimized mess where they keep on throwing random things at it until something sticks, and giving up on things almost immediately if they don't make money.

foltzie1

Well deserved i must say.
Why is taken king there? It's just DLC, kinda like the Oscars giving out nominations too old movies because they now have a Directors cut.

Like when the Academy gave Return of the King 11 Oscars even though it was just an expansion pack on Fellowship of the Ring?

geordiemp

I'm very happy splatoon is reconized and beats out typical shooters and typical multiplayer games it's a very fun game and it shows cod and halo is a dying breed.

Wow...Activision and 3arc must be scared about their market share.

or maybe not.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Best multiplayer I can see, but I'm impressed it won best shooter as well. It does make me happy to see Splatoon succeed considering how niche I thought it looked at its announcement, and what system it was on.
For me it's the other way around. It has fantastic controls and mechanics for a shooter (swimming as a squid up a wall never gets old) but no voice chat make it a sub-par multiplayer experience.

Splatoon is one of the best games I've played in a long...LONG time. I absolutely love it and played it more than any other game this year (probably more than any other game in the last 5 years). I think it's brilliant from gameplay to artstyle and music. Really happy for the Splatoon team!

I hate online shooters, yet I've put more time into Splatoon than any game this year. It's fun and addicting with no voice chat, and very few (if any) weapon balancing issues.

It also taught me to stay the hell away from opposing Japanese rollers.

Ogodei

Wasn't this made by parts of the Animal Crossing team? It could explain the idiosyncratic content releases, since AC was meant to be a game that you had to play almost daily if you wanted to get everything out of it, so is the case with Splatoon, which creates aggravation compared to other shooters, or other Nintendo games like Smash, where all of the content is available all of the time.

Only thing that really bugs me about it is the clothing. I swear Anne (the hat girl) has been screwing me on availability

AzaK

They did something right what that game. My 6yo son said to me "Dad, Splatoon is my favourite game now. Better than Minecraft" I was floored.

Shame Rainbow Sixe: Siege didn't release soon enough to be considered :( Best MP I've played in awhile.

Having said that, Splatoon is fantastic--play it a lot at my friend's and ALMOST made me purchase a WiiU.

trixx

Yeah the nominees were fantastic. I could easily see rocket league, Black ops 3 or Halo 5 winning best multiplayer. Those games probably even deserved it more. Rocket League needs more modes though.

Best shooter being Splatoon is probably apt, just because it's such a fresh new take on the genre

Splatoon is arguably the best game on Wii U.

Mesoian

I hate online shooters, yet I've put more time into Splatoon than any game this year. It's fun and addicting with no voice chat, and very few (if any) weapon balancing issues.

It also taught me to stay the hell away from opposing Japanese rollers.

Gotta learn how to jump over them.

Top Bottom