• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

XAL

Do the CE players that get the game this tuesday have access to everything (SP, MP, Fall of Reach)?

Flipyap

If that's your argument then I could sympathize with any playable character in the Halo franchise including Locke because every single one of them have had a goal like that.
Every other character, yes, that is my argument.
Including Locke? No. The goal of his missions (until the inevitable twist hours into the game) is to hunt down the character you've played for 4 games and a few missions in this one. He's not doing this for any noble or even logical purpose. He's ordered to do so by a comically evil organization currently trying to convince everyone that the clear hero of this story is a traitor and also dead.
If you think that this is a worthwhile objective, then you may very well be a cartoon villain.

Including Locke? No. The goal of his missions (until the inevitable twist hours into the game) is to hunt down the character you've played for 4 games and a few missions in this one. He's not doing this for any noble or even logical purpose. He's ordered to do so by a comically evil organization currently trying to convince everyone that the clear hero of this story is a traitor and also dead.
If you think that this is a worthwhile objective, then you may very well be a cartoon villain.

Except he is and it's specifically stated in the very summary for the game.

"Peace is shattered when colony worlds are unexpectedly attacked. And when humanity’s greatest hero goes missing, Spartan Locke is tasked with hunting the Master Chief and solving a mystery that threatens the entire galaxy."

I.E. figure out why the Guardians are attacking and find a way to stop them. Only the Chief is privy to this information at this point and thus Locke has to find him in order to figure out what is going on. A noble goal if I do say so myself. Did I also mention his noble goal of destroying the element in Nightfall? Said mission was his idea because he didn't want anything like that to happen again. A goal he stuck to despite his team falling to the wayside all the while being chased by hunter worms. Oh and he refused to take up arms against the Sedrans in order to save his own teams life. He stuck to his morals and decided that the straws would decide for everyone and stuck to this even when Randall volunteered to stay behind so he and Macer could make it out.

But yes, Locke certainly hasn't had noble goals before. *Rolls eyes continuously*

Try actually researching the material before you call someone else out.

The "Jul cut off Halsey's arm" moment in the first mission makes it pretty evident that ONI's being pretty short with Locke.

Wait... What?
That's basically the entirety of the so called "depth" that was added to Chief in 4. Instead of cracking jokes and being a cool dude he worries about his holowaifu, gets angsty when people say maybe he should put down his waifu when she threatens to kill them all, and half assedly contemplates "What is a human?" like he's a poorly written character in an art students first film.

Trup1aya

He's a bland dude in the same way John McClane is a bland dude. He made funny one-liners and didn't afraid of anything. Locke just seems to do literally nothing of note other than that he's trying to capture a character people actually care about, he's another case of "original character do not steal", just like Palmer in my mind.

I'm sorry, but wat?

Chief is just one big action hero stereotype. He's the definition of generic... Locke isn't much different... Do my job at all costs, say something macho when the jobs done...

you make it seem like chief is full of one-liners... Knee-slappers like "I need a weapon", right?

With Halo 4, Chief went from having no personality at all, to having a personality that didn't sit well with you... But let's not act like Bungie did ANYTHING to make him an interesting character in the games...

Flipyap

Except he is and it's specifically stated in the very summary for the game.

I.E. figure out why the Guardians are attacking and find a way to stop them. Only the Chief is privy to this information at this point and thus Locke has to find him in order to figure out what is going on. A noble goal if I do say so myself. Did I also mention his noble goal of destroying the element in Nightfall? Said mission was his idea because he didn't want anything like that to happen again. A goal he stuck to despite his team falling to the wayside all the while being chased by hunter worms. Oh and he refused to take up arms against the Sedrans in order to save his own teams life. He stuck to his morals and decided that the straws would decide for everyone and stuck to this even when Randall volunteered to stay behind so he and Macer could make it out.

But yes, Locke certainly hasn't had noble goals before. *Rolls eyes continuously*

Try actually researching the material before you call someone else out.
Oh lordy. I'm not talking about the character's personal convictions.
Locke might believe that he's doing the right thing, but you as the player are immediately aware of the fact that his mission is a sham, an order from THE villainous organization of that fictional universe. You're literally asked to sabotage your own mission.
And I was talking about the video games, I'm sure Locke was a very nice boy back in the day. He probably tipped well and helped ducklings cross the street on more than one occasion.

Mission 1 - Osiris - Kamchatka
Fireteam Osiris is dispatched to recover the UNSC's most wanted criminal: Doctor Catherine Elizabeth Halsey.

Mission 2 - Blue Team - Argent Moon
The Master Chief is reunited with his Spartan II Blue Team for a routine investigation of the lost ONI research station Argent Moon.

Mission 3 - Glassed - Meridian
Osiris must pursue Blue Team to a glassed world beyond UNSC jurisdiction.

Mission 4 - Meridian Station - Meridian
Osiris learns that Meridian Station holds many secrets.

Mission 5 - Unconfirmed - Meridian
Osiris tracks Blue Team deep below the surface of Meridian.

Mission 6 - Evacuation - Meridian
Osiris is separated from Blue Team and must race to keep up.

Mission 7 - Reunion - Genesis
Blue Team arrives at the Forerunner world Genesis where they discover the true reason for the Guardians' activation.

Mission 8 - Swords of Sanghelios - Sanghelios
When evidence reveals that the Master Chief is in danger, Fireteam Osiris' mission changes from retrieval to rescue.

Mission 9 - Alliance Sanghelios
Osiris joins forces with the Swords of Sanghelios.

Mission 10 - Enemy Lines Sanghelios
In order to activate a Guardian, Osiris must track down a Forerunner Constructor.

Mission 11 - Before the Storm - Sanghelios
Osiris and the Swords of Sanghelios prepare for a final battle with the Covenant.

Mission 12 - Battle of Sunaion - Sanghelios
Osiris races to reach the Guardian before it leaves Sanghelios.

Mission 13 - Genesis Genesis
Osiris arrives on Genesis, where they meet a new ally in their battle.

Mission 14 - The Breaking - Genesis
The Master Chief and his team face their greatest threat and his hardest choice as the true power of the Guardians is revealed.

Mission 15 - The Guardians - Genesis
As Blue Team's lives hang in the balance, Osiris must save them and stop the Guardians.

Chase and Run, the game.

Arjac

Why are they pushing Guardians so hard, I just wanted to play some more levels as Halo. Guardians may be a cool dude but Halo should have more levels to himself
hey Guardians are a pretty cool guy, they shoot Halo in face and don't afraid of anything

Oh lordy. I'm not talking about the character's personal convictions.
Locke might believe that he's doing the right thing, but you as the player are immediately aware of the fact that his mission is a sham, an order from THE villainous organization of that fictional universe. You're literally asked to sabotage your own mission.
And I was talking about the video games, I'm sure Locke was a very nice boy back in the day. He probably tipped well and helped ducklings cross the street on more than one occasion.

What did you say previously? Don't worry as I have the exact quote right here.

He's not doing this for any noble or even logical purpose

So trying to find the Chief in order to solve a mystery that threatens the entire galaxy isn't noble or logical huh? Recommending a mission to destroy an element that affected an entire planet isn't noble or logical huh? You said we could sympathize with Chief among other characters because they had a goal that was noble and logical and thus worth sympathizing with. You then said Lock did not. Well then explain how the two examples among others I've provided aren't noble and logical and thus not worth sympathizing with? I mean so far all you've done is duck and dodge the fundamental question at hand, which essentially proves that you had no irrefutable evidence to present from the start.

But I mean you've done a great job at backpedaling thus far, so your switch up isn't exactly mind boggling.

And now you take your argument to the "I'm only talking about video games" stance because there's contradictory evidence to your argument in the EU. That's the very definition of someone who likes to dance around certain points when an argument isn't going their way.

Not that special if you are going to save him and his team twice in a single game

Seems like we only save him once going by the mission descriptions and that's at the end of the game.

I mean this doesn't really bother me as long as Blue Teams missions are a good deal longer than Osiris' and it's very likely the major plot points of the story will be revealed in Blue Teams missions.

Tal

I appreciate that they tried to humanize Chief a little in Halo 4, but I don't think it was executed well at all. All of his moments with Cortana just feel stilted and awkward, and not intentionally so.

Top Bottom