• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

Vire

But MGS2 was awesome specifically because we didn't know that we were playing as Raiden, we already know we're playing as Locke. Also I doubt 343 has the chops to pull off something as creepy and 3rd wall breaking as the descent into Arsenal Gear. Also I hope Frankie and crew have their flame shields ready, because I have a feeling they are gonna get alot of shit for this from alot of people.
Exactly, I feel like if they were going to pull a Kojima bait and switch they should have went all out with it and only showed Chief gameplay up until this point (much like the Tanker mission in MGS2 with Snake).

Then when everyone gets the game, 'huh! where's da masterchiefz, those wiley rascals!".

Instead, I just figured they kept choosing to show more Locke missions because I thought they were saving the good stuff (Master Chief top secret story heavy missions) for when I play it. Guess not *shrug*

Super bummed that we're only getting 3 Blue Team missions, hopefully some of the missions are split, but I'm not holding out hope.

Hype Moderately deflated.

Flipyap

Everything I've seen has my interest. I thought the story structure of Halo 2 was well handled and there are parallels here.
Right, but Halo 2 had an interesting second protagonist whose story arc was compelling from the moment he was introduced. Even after suffering through Nightfall, I can't figure out why or how I'm supposed to care about Locke and his doomed-to-be-derailed mission.

Luckily, I stopped paying attention to Halo's story after 4 and I'm getting this game primarily due to my uncontrollable urge to butt stomp, so Locke can keep on sucking. Still, kinda hoping that Tanuki and Laura Valey will prove to be interesting enough to carry this campaign.

Trup1aya

But MGS2 was awesome specifically because we didn't know that we were playing as Raiden, we already know we're playing as Locke. Also I doubt 343 has the chops to pull off something as creepy and 3rd wall breaking as the descent into Arsenal Gear. Also I hope Frankie and crew have their flame shields ready, because I have a feeling they are gonna get alot of shit for this from alot of people.

To be fair, I think the 343i staff is made out of flame shield material. I don't think there has been a moment since inception, that they haven't been getting it from all sides...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Right, but Halo 2 had an interesting second protagonist whose story arc was compelling from the moment he was introduced. Even after suffering through Nightfall, I can't figure out why or how I'm supposed to care about Locke and his doomed-to-be-derailed mission.

Luckily, I stopped paying attention to Halo's story after 4 and I'm getting this game primarily due to my uncontrollable urge to butt stomp, so Locke can keep on sucking. Still, kinda hoping that Tanuki and Laura Valey will prove to be interesting enough to carry this campaign.

Least it's not Palmer.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It appears that there's only 3 Blue Team missions.
Nyj9cWz.gif

Izayoi

Banned
I love how people are somehow surprised that this is turning out to be astoundingly mediocre. How many duds will it take for us to learn?

If you preordered specifically because you expected to play Chief as much as possible and as little as possible for Locke, then I don't your priorities for the game are in order in the first place.

Izayoi

Banned
Combine that with the fact they could very well be killed off at the end of the game........
https://petenelson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/screams-internally.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
A great analogy of the decline of the series, really.

Killing it off would be an act of mercy, at this point.

It's a reading comprehension issue if this is interpreted as "players primarily control the Master Chief."
As was pointed out:
If you actually read the thread it's people primarily concerned with the fact that you will only be playing as Locke, Stinkles comes in and says that and everyone goes back to thanking based god.
In context, it makes sense that people took it as confirmation of more Chief playing time. Just usual PR obfuscation I guess.

El_Chino

If you preordered specifically because you expected to play Chief as much as possible and as little as possible for Locke, then I don't your priorities for the game are in order in the first place.
*pre orders Halo game*

*expects to play as Halo's main character a lot*

*finds out it's only for three missons*

*gets told your priorities are out of place*

Well then...

Is that the issue here? It feels more like people are just disappointed that blue team doesn't even get half the missions not that locke gets more "screen time."

Shocking News: People want to play as popular face of franchise in latest entry of the popular franchise

Although more seriously this is the answer:
Is that the issue here? It feels more like people are just disappointed that blue team doesn't even get half the missions not that locke gets more "screen time."

Why are they pushing Guardians so hard, I just wanted to play some more levels as Halo. Guardians may be a cool dude but Halo should have more levels to himself

Wow, I had heard a while back that it was mostly Locke and 343 was kinda freaked out by how the #Team stuff was so absurdly lopsided in Chief's favor by like 9:1 but yeesh.

Okay, again: outside of loadout equipment, differences between characters are cosmetic in the first place - and from a lore perspective, it's entirely possible to shape the story around a character without them being playable front and center the entire time. Not to mention the levels seem pretty consistent with regards to quality regardless of who's playable, so it's not even like it's an Arbiter situation where Locke levels are plain unfun.

Chief's also pushing 50, has gone on over 200 missions, over 100 of which are campaigns, and he's not getting any younger. Due to demand I honestly totally expect a spinoff featuring past Blue Team missions at a later date, but as far as pushing the present-day story forward I think it's only fair that Chief eventually gets some time off. His legacy is going to shape the environment much more than he is at this point.

Trup1aya

I love how people are somehow surprised that this is turning out to be astoundingly mediocre. How many duds will it take for us to learn?

I'm surprised you think this is the overall sentiment... I lot of extremely positive reactions to the gameplay shown..

Seems like 343 is on track with what they started with Halo 4. Meaning, killing off the franchise.

Kinda like how Halo 2 killed the franchise... Am I right?

Ken

Huh, going off missions 1-3 I totally expected the "Osiris to Blue and back to Osiris" thing would repeat through the whole game.

Vire

I'm working on my review, and I can't say anything about it other than you guys are probably going to want to hear it.
Alternate perspectives in a mission? Say your team Locke and you need to make your way to the Guardian from the south side of the planet... Then midway you switch to Master Chief's perspective and you need to make your way to the Guardian from the north side of planet. Meanwhile both teams are talking shit about the other side along the journey and you get insight into the misgivings and misunderstandings between the two teams. The end of the level has the two parties meet and converge in a spectacular face off of words and fists. That'd actually would be really cool, although I'm not banking on since none of the 5 missions shown thus far have demonstrated that.

hireme343.

So much saline in this thread.

I'm gonna post a review for story buffs here on the 26th when the embargo gets lifted. Just so you guys know.

Trup1aya

There were plenty of Chief missions in Halo 2 though, also that's mainly the fault of cut content not bad choices.

Fine, it's more like how ODST and Reach killed the franchise... Or Halo wars...

Point being, people will play halo if it's fun. Regardless of who the protagonist is

Wow, I had heard a while back that it was mostly Locke and 343 was kinda freaked out by how the #Team stuff was so absurdly lopsided in Chief's favor by like 9:1 but yeesh.

No offense to them, truly, but that kind of falls in line with a lot of their choices with the Halo franchise. It seems like they make choices that are completely against what fans want, and then end up surprised by them. The art direction, the alterations to some of the established lore, the direction they're pushing certain characters in.

Honestly, I love Halo 4. I think it has one of the best campaigns in the series and the gunplay is super solid. It plays like a Halo game, it's just the narrative decisions that irked me. I truly don't understand how they could just create a new character and expect everyone to be ready to love them more than the main character we've had from the start.

I haven't played it yet, I'm very much looking forward to. I'll reserve judgment but I'm willing to believe they'd do this.

TheXbox

There are too many examples of alternative protagonists in games turning out really well to write this off. Don't post shit that will make you look silly in a few months.

Fine, it's more like how ODST and Reach killed the franchise... Or Halo wars...

Point being, people will play halo if it's fun. Regardless of who the protagonist is

Yes, but it doesn't exactly make it more fun if the main character is Bland McGenericdude. This was the main problem with Chief in 4, he has just a bland guy, no quips, no jokes, just "drama" with the goal of making him "A real character".

GrizzNKev

Banned
One time like 11 years ago the Arbiter was this weird alien dude no one wanted to play as and now he's the best halo character.

Trup1aya

Yes, but it doesn't exactly make it more fun if the main character is Bland McGenericdude. This was the main problem with Chief in 4, he has just a bland guy, no quips, no jokes, just "drama" with the goal of making him "A real character".

Lol Chief has always been bland mcgenericdude in the games...

I find it hilarious that you suggest otherwise, considering Bungie purposefully made him a blank slate so that we could 'project ourselves onto him.

Chiefs personality isn't what makes halo games fun... It's the gameplay...that's why fans keep forgiving all the bullshit...

NoBL3Z

Mission 1 - Osiris - Kamchatka
Fireteam Osiris is dispatched to recover the UNSC's most wanted criminal: Doctor Catherine Elizabeth Halsey.

Mission 2 - Blue Team - Argent Moon
The Master Chief is reunited with his Spartan II Blue Team for a routine investigation of the lost ONI research station Argent Moon.

Mission 3 - Glassed - Meridian
Osiris must pursue Blue Team to a glassed world beyond UNSC jurisdiction.

Mission 4 - Meridian Station - Meridian
Osiris learns that Meridian Station holds many secrets.

Mission 5 - Unconfirmed - Meridian
Osiris tracks Blue Team deep below the surface of Meridian.

Mission 6 - Evacuation - Meridian
Osiris is separated from Blue Team and must race to keep up.

Mission 7 - Reunion - Genesis
Blue Team arrives at the Forerunner world Genesis where they discover the true reason for the Guardians' activation.

Mission 8 - Swords of Sanghelios - Sanghelios
When evidence reveals that the Master Chief is in danger, Fireteam Osiris' mission changes from retrieval to rescue.

Mission 9 - Alliance Sanghelios
Osiris joins forces with the Swords of Sanghelios.

Mission 10 - Enemy Lines Sanghelios
In order to activate a Guardian, Osiris must track down a Forerunner Constructor.

Mission 11 - Before the Storm - Sanghelios
Osiris and the Swords of Sanghelios prepare for a final battle with the Covenant.

Mission 12 - Battle of Sunaion - Sanghelios
Osiris races to reach the Guardian before it leaves Sanghelios.

Mission 13 - Genesis Genesis
Osiris arrives on Genesis, where they meet a new ally in their battle.

Mission 14 - The Breaking - Genesis
The Master Chief and his team face their greatest threat and his hardest choice as the true power of the Guardians is revealed.

Mission 15 - The Guardians - Genesis
As Blue Team's lives hang in the balance, Osiris must save them and stop the Guardians.

Top Bottom