• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

Random17

I can't wait for the reviews. Super curious to see what the casual fans think.

Edit: 3 Wardens at once? How is that possible on Legendary?

I just finished my Legendary playthrough tonight. Kinda disappointed with the story...

I can't wait for the reviews. Super curious to see what the casual fans think.

Edit: 3 Wardens at once? How is that possible on Legendary?

I'll tell you straight away that was the biggest bitch of the whole playthrough.

I was legit wondering if it was even possible at one point.

This sounds like the crazy angry corrupted by Gravemind part of Cortana who holds a grudge against Halsey to me. The one that rants and calls Halsey a bitch at the start of Composer rather than the part that tells Chief not to tell Halsey how she acted later in the mission.
Yeah, this Cortana seems to really hate Halsey

Cortana: "I wouldn't ally myself too closely with Dr. Halsey, Mister Locke. She will eventually pay for her crimes."

Flipyap

Let's be gratetful it's not fucking Tartarus.
Tartarus would be perfectly fine if they had mid-fight checkpoints beck then. The Warden would be much more rage-inducing if you had to do those fights in one go (and without revives).

Yeah, this Cortana seems to really hate Halsey

Cortana: "I wouldn't ally myself too closely with Dr. Halsey, Mister Locke. She will eventually pay for her crimes."
To be fair, right now every character in that universe hates Dr. Mengele M. McMengele (the M. stands for Mengele). I think it's more likely that it's one more example of a writer projecting their own opinion onto another character.

Johndoey

Banned
Tartarus would be perfectly fine if they had mid-fight checkpoints beck then. The Warden would be much more rage-inducing if you had to do those fights in one go (and without revives).

To be fair, right now every character in that universe hates Dr. Mengele M. McMengele (the M. stands for Mengele). I think it's more likely that it's one more example of a writer projecting their own opinion onto another character.
Yeah the writers don't like Halsey which becomes the universe hates Halsey.

kmag

I know Halo has never really been exactly subtle, but did they really need the evil effect and line reading over Cortana's voice. If anything her normal voice and tone would be more disconcerting than cliched villain voice.

Lakitu

st5fu
I know Halo has never really been exactly subtle, but did they really need the evil effect and line reading over Cortana's voice. If anything her normal voice and tone would be more disconcerting than cliched villain voice.

Haven't heard it but the Promethean's (Wardens?) sound bad IMO.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
If they didn't though I think they would have a hard time reinforcing that this Cortana just isn't the same one we knew before. Obviously it's not subtle, but I think more people would just be confused if she //wasn't// acting strange enough.

Johndoey

Banned
If they didn't though I think they would have a hard time reinforcing that this Cortana just isn't the same one we knew before. Obviously it's not subtle, but I think more people would just be confused if she //wasn't// acting strange enough.
Sure but she was basically twirling her digital mustache.

Klyka

Banned
Why do people even hate Halsey?

Wasn't it like "we want you to make super soldiers" "ok, I have made super soldiers" "omg why did you do this!?? you are a monster!"

Did you guys find the huge soccer ball on Meridian Station?

I really wish I was playing with the elite controller. I've got the moves down with the face buttons, but I can see how those paddles are going to kick ass in this game.

Johndoey

Banned

Wasn't it like "we want you to make super soldiers" "ok, I have made super soldiers" "omg why did you do this!?? you are a monster!"
Halsey is a morally reprehensible humans being, but tons of people were also directly involved in the program that don't get any shit so eh. The Halsey dislike is a sorta newish thing in the expanded universe stuff. I mean no one liked Halsey, but the other stuff is kinda sorta recent.

Flipyap

Some people would be perfectly justified to hold that opinion of her, she did do horrific things, but it just does not work when she's being called a Monster Mengele by people complicit in Halsey's schemes, people who owe their entire life's purpose to her research and ones who should understand how valuable and actually accomplished she is.

I know Chris Scherf went to BioWare for ME Andromeda (I think he's left though?) but did Mac Walters go the other way? I don't mind the idea of H5 as a setup for a climatic return of the Precursors/Flood to settle who gets the Mantle etc but...it almost feels like an entirely different series. If you only played the games.

Flipyap

Wow that dislogue was....bad

What the hell happened here?
It's written by the dude in charge of Spartan Ops and the Sarah Palmer Official Fan Club, so that might have something to do with it.

The writing is clunky, but at least it's better than Halo 4's (not exactly a high bar, I know), and some of the clunkiness results in good ol' unintentional Halo comedy.

"Is this a losing battle?"
"Only if we intend on losing it."

Trup1aya

No one has really ever liked Halsey, even before 343i got involved... Except maybe captain Keyes. Mainly it's her arrogance, but she also often used her intelligence to get away with breaking laws and undermining her political adversaries. She also was a horrible mother. The Spartan IIs only cared for her because they were brainwashed by her since age 6.

The hatred kicked into high gear during the kilo-5 trilogy when ONI Vice Admiral revealed that Halsey, without authority, replaced the kidnapped kids with doomed-to-die clones. This action 1) caused the parents to live through the horror of losing their children twice, 2) left a trail of evidence behind that fuels insurrectionist conspiracy theories and 3) is especially fucked up for the poor clone kid

Everyone likes to blame Karen Traviss, but IMO Halsey is a pretty fucked up person, who also happens to be one of humanities greatest assets... I think Traviss did a great job highlighting this duality.

Which part is that again?

Warden Eternal #1. I've got the Promethean rocket launcher to start. And I've grabbed the second, but I can't get his back. On heroic you could square him up and boost to the right as he swung his sword, but he one shots you with his laser eyes now.

I've tried hiding and popping shots at him after using both rocket launchers and that's not doing it either.

Warden Eternal #1. I've got the Promethean rocket launcher to start. And I've grabbed the second, but I can't get his back. On heroic you could square him up and boost to the right as he swung his sword, but he one shots you with his laser eyes now.

I've tried hiding and popping shots at him after using both rocket launchers and that's not doing it either.

Use your squad commands so they are targeting him. When you are trying to sneak behind him (his weak point is on his back, that orb thing) and your teammates are shooting him, he will attack them. That gives you the chance to deal the critical blows to him. I believe it takes five of those shots to kill him.

DecepticonCora

Neo Member
Halsey is a morally reprehensible humans being, but tons of people were also directly involved in the program that don't get any shit so eh. The Halsey dislike is a sorta newish thing in the expanded universe stuff. I mean no one liked Halsey, but the other stuff is kinda sorta recent.

Quite a bit of the in-game hate can be traced back to Brian Reed's efforts.

Use your squad commands so they are targeting him. When you are trying to sneak behind him (his weak point is on his back, that orb thing) and your teammates are shooting him, he will attack them. That gives you the chance to deal the critical blows to him. I believe it takes five of those shots to kill him.

Finally got it, thanks. It seems like luck whether your team survives long enough to pull it off. Can't wait for the next meeting lol

Finally got it, thanks. It seems like luck whether your team survives long enough to pull it off. Can't wait for the next meeting lol

There will be a segment on Solo Legendary where you don't think a certain part is possible to do.

You'll definitely know what that part is when you get there.

maximrace

I can't see how you can hate the campaign. Yes story is a personal opinion but the gameplay and level design is really good. Even if you don't like the story, it's still crazy fun to play

Top Bottom