• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

Fotos

Don't know if this has been posted yet but just finished on legendary and there is a legendary ending. Very short though

All I want to know is does Chief actually wear that sand desert cloak at any point?

No. But the achievement picture for beating it on legendary by yourself is master chief wearing the cloak on a rock fighting off tons of elites DOOM style. It's pretty badass I just made it my background.

Seriously? :(

Wat.

Pretty common in the transition from hype trailer to actual game. I'm still waiting for the part in Deus Ex: HR where I have to run across a dock and get Megan back from Namir.

Or the part where Killzone 2 was actually good like everyones favorite KZ2 trailer suggested it would be. Yeah I'm salty.

Or, Halo related, the E3 trailer for Halo 2.

Vire

Pretty common in the transition from hype trailer to actual game. I'm still waiting for the part in Deus Ex: HR where I have to run across a dock and get Megan back from Namir.

Or the part where Killzone 2 was actually good like everyones favorite KZ2 trailer suggested it would be. Yeah I'm salty.

Or, Halo related, the E3 trailer for Halo 2.

Yeah I'm not saying it's unprecedented, but I am a bit disappointed that Chief didn't do his wandering in the desert alone for 40 years bit.

Isocr4cy

Wat... he's not

It is revealed in Halo: Primordium that he is alive, although heavily damaged. It's also revealed that he is actually a human mind, which was slowly 'overwritten' by the AI we see in the games. When he is rediscovered in the books, the damage he sustained from the end of 3 basically allowed him to remember his past self and his past memories.

He was last seen hijacking the UNSC Rubicon and placing its crew in cryo while he searches for the 'elusive life-shaper' which I believe is Chant-to-Green, the new Librarian.

Edit: Also, if I remember correctly, 2 members aboard the Rubicon have the gea of his two friends who he traveled with in the Forerunner trilogy.

Fotos

It is revealed in Halo: Primordium that he is alive, although heavily damaged. It's also revealed that he is actually a human mind, which was slowly 'overwritten' by the AI we see in the games. When he is rediscovered in the books, the damage he sustained from the end of 3 basically allowed him to remember his past self and his past memories.

He was last seen hijacking the UNSC Rubicon and placing its crew in cryo while he searches for the 'elusive life-shaper' which I believe is Chant-to-Green, the new Librarian.

Wtf

Blastoise

Banned
Wow. Another cliffhanger ending?

Also the AI shit sounds so lame. I just want to be Master Chief shooting grunts and saving the world.

Isocr4cy

Basically Bornstellar (the IsoDidact, not the Didact from Halo 4), saved his dying friend Chakas by imprinting his mind into what would become Guilty Spark. If I remember the rest correctly, after they fired the Halo rings, he overwrote his mind for some reason I cannot remember lol.

Edit: Also, if I remember correctly, 2 members aboard the Rubicon have the gea of his two friends who he traveled with in the Forerunner trilogy.

Now see this is what I call fan fiction. Cortana and Chief 's relationship in H4 is the natural progression of what Bungie laid out. Guilty Spark really being a human that got overwritten and somehow regained his human memories because he got obliterated by a Spartan Laser in Halo 3. That's fan fiction.

Isocr4cy

Now see this is what I call fan fiction. Cortana and Chief 's relationship in H4 is the natural progression of what Bungie laid out. Guilty Spark really being a human that got overwritten and somehow regained his human memories because he got obliterated by a Spartan Laser in Halo 3. That's fan fiction.

It's come up a lot in this thread but again, it's all about the context. (IMO) Greg Bear really does an excellent job with the books and it certainly never felt like fan fiction. It fits with the universe they built up within the trilogy and I found it fairly satisfying.

People really need to check out the Forerunner trilogy if they haven't, it's basically required reading for Halo going forward. Especially Silentium, that book is fucking crazy awesome.

Don't know if this has been posted yet but just finished on legendary and there is a legendary ending. Very short though

No. But the achievement picture for beating it on legendary by yourself is master chief wearing the cloak on a rock fighting off tons of elites DOOM style. It's pretty badass I just made it my background.

Do you have an imgur album or something of all the achievement art full sized? all I can find are the thumbnails

Fotos

Do you have an imgur album or something of all the achievement art full sized? all I can find are the thumbnails

Not all of it. I just took a screenshot of the one I was talking about though...

ebilmDY.jpg

Alright what tips do you have for the triplets on legendary?

Ive still only found 1 skull. These things are hidden....
First, you have to have a binary rifle from the area before you fight them with as much ammo as possible
Upon entering the room, go right and stay close to the edge of the wall and go right around. Sprint to the side and grab an incineration cannon.
At this point they will all drop, charge the incineration cannon and fire it at all three.
If you are lucky you'll hit two of them
Then try to kill one of them as quickly as possible
If you don't do it within the first two minutes
Just restart lol
Cause you'll be dead at that point
When there are two left, use the extra incineration cannons to kill then one at a time. One Warden always sticks to the opposite side of the room
The room has 4 grabbable incineration cannons btw if you didn't know
Sometimes when you get down to one warden eternal left, you are screwed because of the turrets
Then you have to hope you can kill the last one with those promethean grenades
That's the strat

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Having finished the game.. I'm honestly really disappointed. Hell, I enjoyed H4 more, GAF am I.. crazy?

SPOILERS, DUH:

- I did not expect this to be mostly a Locke game, you only get to play as MC for three missions.
- I really liked the story in H4, but here, I thought the story was.. ehh, and I was expecting some epic battle to go down between the teams, but nope, nothing like that ever happens.
- There was less variety in the environments, and overall the game looks worse than 4 to me, aesthetically of course.
- Having to fight the same boss over and over and over again.. What the.. :|
- Why the hell did they change Cortana's face? She was perfect in 4, now she looks kinda.. weird.
- Skyboxes. Just ugly, static skyboxes. :(

The gameplay mechanics are definitely better than 4 tho, and if the beta is anything to go by, I'm gonna enjoy the mp, a lot more than I did in 4.

Having finished the game.. I'm honestly really disappointed. Hell, I enjoyed H4 more, GAF am I.. crazy?

SPOILERS, DUH:

- I did not expect this to be mostly a Locke game, you only get to play as MC for three missions.
- I really liked the story in H4, but here, I thought the story was.. ehh, and I was expecting some epic battle to go down between the teams, but nope, nothing like that ever happens.
- There was less variety in the environments, and overall the game looks worse than 4 to me, aesthetically of course.
- Why the hell did they change Cortana's face? She was perfect in 4, now she looks kinda.. weird.

The gameplay mechanics are definitely better than 4 tho, and if the beta is anything to go by, I'm gonna enjoy the mp, a lot more than I did in 4.

But the last mission with Locke running down the Guardian's skybox tho

SPOILERS, DUH:

I replayed 4 a little last night and I don't think it holds a candle to most of these missions. Aesthetically it's pretty bland. We'll see how the missions hold up for me in the long run but the movement mechanics made it such a blast to play that I've really been focused on that over my 20+ hours with it.

I can see how the story is going to spilt people. I kinda felt this was how it was going to shake out so it wasn't as jarring for me. As far as the environments I thought missions 4,,7,8,13 were pretty damn incredible. We already got a glimps of 8 and it still blew my mind.

nOoblet16

SPOILERS, DUH:

Halo 5 is extremely bland aesthetically because of its reliance in Forerunner architectures just like Halo 4. And honestly it was a bad idea of them to make Forerunner architecture look so clean and plain, it looks way too artificial. The general look of the game is very Halo 4 like and there's a lot of saturated light effects rather than actual vistas whenever you have a vast area. 343 doesn't hold a candle against Bungie when it comes to designing pretty looking levels and skyboxes. The static skyboxes look worse than even Halo 1 (aesthetically) and cannot match Reach's dynamic skyboxes. I am honestly surprised that this has continued onto this game and 343 doesn't still realise what they (vistas and skyboxes) are a special part of what makes a Halo game.

The best way I could describe it is that Halo 4 and Halo 5 have this very techno feel with the prometheans, overly smooth environments and lots of chirping sound effects and mechanical noises (it became quite prominent in games and movies after the Transformers movies) and I don't really like it as much as the previous games that felt a lot more organic.

EDIT: Just finished the game and oh wow...that was it ?
What an abrupt cliffhanger ! That was shite and anti climatic, it didn't even feel like it was the final level.
This is the shortest Halo game I've ever played, it probably took me 6 hours on Normal and that's much shorter than other games on same difficulty.

Wait 2-3 more years for another on now I guess.

What an abrupt cliffhanger ! That was shite and anti climatic, it didn't even feel like it was the final level.
This is the shortest Halo game I've ever played, it probably took me 6 hours on Normal and that's much shorter than other games on same difficulty.

6 hours on normal? That sounds pretty good to me, considering it took 9 on heroic and it wasn't that hard. I would assume normal mode is a cake walk.

Halo 5 is extremely bland aesthetically because of its reliance in Forerunner architectures just like Halo 4. And honestly it was a bad idea of them to make Forerunner architecture look so clean and plain, it looks way too artificial. The general look of the game is very Halo 4 like and there's a lot of saturated light effects rather than actual vistas whenever you have a vast area. 343 doesn't hold a candle against Bungie when it comes to designing pretty looking levels and skyboxes. The static skyboxes look worse than even Halo 1 (aesthetically) and cannot match Reach's dynamic skyboxes. I am honestly surprised that this has continued onto this game and 343 doesn't still realise what they (vistas and skyboxes) are a special part of what makes a Halo game.

The best way I could describe it is that Halo 4 and Halo 5 have this very techno feel with the prometheans, overly smooth environments and lots of chirping sound effects and mechanical noises (it became quite prominent in games and movies after the Transformers movies) and I don't really like it as much as the previous games that felt a lot more organic.

Halo 2, 4 and Reach are shorter, especially 4. I don't know why you take more than 6 hours to finish those three games on normal. Also the skybox gets worse in later levels? The first three missions especially the first has beautiful active skyboxes.

Just finished on Heroic. I loved it to be fair. But I enjoyed Halo 4.

The ending was a bit meh. Was expecting another cutscenes at least after the final one but nope. Also fighting the warden eternal like 5 times got reeeeaaalllly boring.

Halo 4 on the Mcc looks a lot better aesthetically. And the sky boxes are no way near as good as it either. Just static sky boxes which is pretty disappointing. It does look beautiful at times but definitely disappointed me somewhat.

I had a hell of a lot of fun with it though. Just got to wait for mp to unlock now. As that's what I'm looking forward to the most anyway

Finished the game last night. 6.5 hours in Normal. Quite short. I should have played on Heroic.

Missions 1-2 are quite good.
I did not like missions 4-6 a lot.
Missions 7-13 are amazing. Halo at its best.
Missions 14 and 15 were disappointing to me.

... Except the begining of mission 15 !

The new gameplay mecanics are glorious. Spartan abilities bring something new to the game, and imo they make this Halo a better experience to play. So much verticality !! Missions 7 to 13 are part of the best in the saga thank to them.

I liked the story. Maybe they should have dig deeper in the extended universe, but they would have lose a lot of players. Focusing only on the Hunt, the Sangheilos conflict and Cortana was a good idea. What happened to Cortana makes sense. I'm ok with it. She was in rampancy, access the domain and then became unstoppable. I regret they don't let us fight a Guardian. Really. What a final Cliffangher :(

My only main concern is about graphics. The framerate is solid, but there is a lot of Aliasing, and the game lacks of a good IQ. Oh, and ally AI is really dumb.

For me, Halo 5 is a good mix between Halo 2 and Halo 3. Reach is still my favorite Halo in solo though.

Halo 2, 4 and Reach are shorter, especially 4. I don't know why you take more than 6 hours to finish those three games on normal. Also the skybox gets worse in later levels? The first three missions especially the first has beautiful active skyboxes.

No they don't. Better if anything. You'll see #13.....

blakep267

Man, I really hate cortanas new face. I could understand if they changed the model to resemble Taylor more but that's not the case at all. It's just a random new face

GnawtyDog

Banned
Have seen everything I need to see. Gameplay looks to be the best in the series - from gun handling, feel, movement etc. Sandbox gameplay was nailed. A.I looks rock solid. Encounters however do become very repetitive in nature - like very repetitive - good A.I + NPC variety helps shake off the feeling (adding dynamism) but it's just that, help. Story is a bit meh (for a combination of reasons/misses here and there - from dialogue, to motives, to scene construction) but still much better as a whole than a great number of games. Will go down as a great game I wager. I will be surprised if it does lower than Halo 4 META although expectations do change - I can definitely see some 80's if we're strictly looking at the story coherence, dialogue, and encounter repetition. I can definitely also see lots of 90s too if the MP has no hiccups. Very polished game overall from the looks of the campaign.

Have seen everything I need to see. Gameplay looks to be the best in the series - from gun handling, feel, movement etc. Sandbox gameplay was nailed. A.I looks rock solid. Encounters however do become very repetitive in nature - like very repetitive - good A.I helps shake off the feeling (adding dynamism) but it's just that, help. Story is a bit meh (for a combination of reasons/misses here and there - from dialogue, to motives, to scene construction) but still much better as a whole than a great number of games. Will go down as a great game I wager. I would be surprised if it does lower than Halo 4 META although expectations do change - I can definitely see some 80's if we're strictly looking at the story coherence, dialogue, and encounter repetition. I can definitely also see lots of 90s too if the MP has no hiccups. Very polished game overall from the looks of the campaign.

With everything the MP has to offer, I can see it in the low 90s. It'll be my favorite Halo if MP holds up and I'm sure it will.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.

Yep. I can't believe that Halo 3, a game from 2007, has better sceneries. :(

So were all trailers for H5 just marketing and are actually not happening in halo universe?

Launch TV Commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCP0GSB2A8E
-> Chief is at no point activating the guardians, he is only at the one at meridian because he has to find cortana. There's no point that anybody at the UNSC would blaim him for the guardian on Meridian.

Chief Ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rd8FWUCCZk
-> Chiefs dialogue make no sense. Locke never stood in his way, beside that one fistfight.

Locke Ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHQiYPiNVEE
-> Chief hasnt destroyed anything. He went to Meridian, hopped on the guardian and then started to fight Cortana after being a while on Genesis (would be really great if they had implemented a scene where Chiefs changes his mind, instead of on the second meeting with Locke knowing that Cortana is evil)

Hero falls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SENJV2_XuLM
-> Why would UNSC let Master Chief die officially? He hasn't anything done wrong, just not going back to Infinity after mission 2, but he already disagreed with the orders of Infinity in H4

Here are my impressions about Halo 5 after finishing it:

- The game doesnt look that great.
- Like someone said the Skyboxes look bad.
- The story is really weak. And feels like that it changed mid development. (what happened to the 2013 stuff with Chief in the desert?) The game probably wasnt coop focused early on.
- Only Missions i liked were the Sanghelios and Genesis mission. They stand out between all the generic, grey looking other missions.
- The Forerunner art is still very bad and too busy looking.
- The Music is a very difficult one. At some parts it fits the situation but at other parts, especially at the end it just doesnt fit. You are fighting 10+ Enemys and the standart Halo theme starts. Doesnt make sense. The game is missing some proper combat music. And the music tracks still feel like they recorded them because they sound great, but really dont fit most of the scenes.
- That Warden Enemy is really boring. And on higher difficulty such a pain and very frustrating.
- This breakable walls are so obvious and it feels like they are just there to have a reason for Spartan Charge.
- Cutscenes felt really short

+ I like how they changed the Promethean Knights. 3 weak points and hit feedback. Very good improvement.
+ The Levels are bigger again. Like Halo was.
+ Multiple routes
+ Funny Easter Eggs and stuff (Singing Grunt on Genesis xD)
+ Weapons are really nice in the campaign and i can use all of them because they are strong this time around.
+ Kraken was kinda cool
+ Gameplay in general feels way better than Halo 4.

I haven't played the game myself, but I've seen the entire campaign through streams and I actually think Halo 5 has the strongest story since Halo 2, but that's just me.

nOoblet16

6 hours on normal? That sounds pretty good to me, considering it took 9 on heroic and it wasn't that hard. I would assume normal mode is a cake walk.

I donno maybe I remember wrong but they definitely felt longer and more like a journey, here it feels like oh wait it finished already? Even Halo 2 with its cliffhanger felt long. I never associated Halo with the 6 hour campaign length.

As for the skyboxes, 343's skyboxes are not as detailed as Halo 3, the main reason being the sky almost always has a very saturated look and a lot of the time it's quite bright even when there is no sun to be seen on screen. The static boxes also look quite low detailed at times. It's definitely considerably more simple than Halo Reach though which was just out of this world. When you say active skyboxes you are probably refering to the background detail like ships and such, because I don't remember the skybox itself to be moving like it does in Reach.

Yep. I can't believe that Halo 3, a game from 2007, has better sceneries. :(

Bungie is just better at this, Destiny has amazing skyboxes for instance.

Random17

Yikes... Impressions on the last page are scaring me.
There have been A LOT of people who have positive reactions to the game, let's not just focus on the negatives.

They are less visible in this thread for two reasons.

1.They have less concern, post only once usually
2. They are inherently less likely to find themselves in a spoiler thread before release

It's a 343i game. It has great things and terrible things. Play it and see.

It already has improvements over Halo 4 in terms of its relatability to the common player.

nOoblet16

Here are my impressions about Halo 5 after finishing it:

- The game doesnt look that great.
- Like someone said the Skyboxes look bad.
- The story is really weak. And feels like that it changed mid development. (what happened to the 2013 stuff with Chief in the desert?) The game probably wasnt coop focused early on.
- Only Missions i liked were the Sanghelios and Genesis mission. They stand out between all the generic, grey looking other missions.
- The Forerunner art is still very bad and too busy looking.
- The Music is a very difficult one. At some parts it fits the situation but at other parts, especially at the end it just doesnt fit. You are fighting 10+ Enemys and the standart Halo theme starts. Doesnt make sense. The game is missing some proper combat music. And the music tracks still feel like they recorded them because they sound great, but really dont fit most of the scenes.
- That Warden Enemy is really boring. And on higher difficulty such a pain and very frustrating.
- This breakable walls are so obvious and it feels like they are just there to have a reason for Spartan Charge.
- Cutscenes felt really short

+ I like how they changed the Promethean Knights. 3 weak points and hit feedback. Very good improvement.
+ The Levels are bigger again. Like Halo was.
+ Multiple routes
+ Funny Easter Eggs and stuff (Singing Grunt on Genesis xD)
+ Weapons are really nice in the campaign and i can use all of them because they are strong this time around.
+ Kraken was kinda cool
+ Gameplay in general feels way better than Halo 4.
Yea I think it was a big mistake for them to go this route for Forerunner art, it's too artificial looking and looks like it was made by machines rather than an advanced organic civilization.

Top Bottom