• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call for 3DS

I would buy in a hearteat:

Theatrhythm versions of:

Super Mario
Legend of Zelda
Chrono series
Mega Man

These four series have some of the best and most iconic musical histories of any video game series.

tokkun

Why are people saying it won't be localized? It's already trademarked in America.

Good question. I can't imagine the original was that expensive to localize. Not much text and they didn't even bother to record English footage for the unlockable movies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Good question. I can't imagine the original was that expensive to localize. Not much text and they didn't even bother to record English footage for the unlockable movies.

That and any localization work would likely help development for the inevitable iOS version.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I would buy in a hearteat:

Theatrhythm versions of:

Super Mario
Legend of Zelda
Chrono series
Mega Man

These four series have some of the best and most iconic musical histories of any video game series.

I already have my list

Kingdom Hearts
Shin Megami Tensei
Trauma Center(lol)
Dragon Quest.

cafemomo

Oh man I really am so happy Along with this and bravely default my 3DS purchase is finaly redeemed.

I love the original so much I bought all the dlc

I am so excite

Reveirg

Good to know S-E finally has another handheld title in the pipeline.

Hopefully they'll announce more titles at TGS.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Wait what? How does it have 200+ tracks? Is it going to be the entire soundtrack from the first game plus all the other music they didn't put in? I have Theatrhythm and I thought they did a decent job covering the entire series. If any game needed one, it's Kingdom Hearts.

XiaNaphryz

Wait what? How does it have 200+ tracks?

I'm sure they'll bring back most of the original's tracks. Too many iconic tracks ignored if they don't. And there's plenty of tracks they didn't use - remember, FF OSTs had a ton of tracks per game, often on multiple CDs.

They could also cheat and double/triple/quadruple up on tracks by providing original versions and then updated/remixed/orchestral versions of the same track.

zashga

Good news, I loved the first Theatrhythm. It's nice to see a new handheld game announced, too... my dreams of FFTA3 don't seem quite as impossible as they did before.

zroid

Banned
Hmm. This is a good point. Although, since the DLC is stored on the system itself, there may be a workaround. Maybe not though.

Yeah, I think if Squenix actually worked with Nintendo closely on this, they could come up with a workaround together. I don't doubt that it's possible. But it will probably take some effort since I don't think there's a precedent for it.

XiaNaphryz

SE only localizes games that sell 100-250k copies, at least. How well did the first one do?

I think it did around 50k during its launch month, so it likely crawled to at least 100k LTD by now.

And my point was if they were going to localize the game for a future iOS release anyway given their new mobile-centric strategy, a lot of that work could apply to multiple platforms.

kswiston

I'm sure they'll bring back most of the original's tracks. Too many iconic tracks ignored if they don't. And there's plenty of tracks they didn't use - remember, FF OSTs had a ton of tracks per game, often on multiple CDs.

They could also cheat and double/triple/quadruple up on tracks by providing original versions and then updated/remixed/orchestral versions of the same track.

Honestly, there are so many Final Fantasy games out there, that 200 tracks is still not enough to cover everything that fans would like to hear.

FF1-15
FF10-2
FF13-2 and Lightning Returns
Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Advance, and A2
Crisis Core
Type-0
Mystic Quest
Crystal Chronicles series
4 Heroes of Light
Final Fantasy Dimesions

Just the 5 regular tracks per title for all of those titles would add up to 140+ tracks. Now add in the bonus songs from the first game, plus all of the DLC, and you are already over 200 tracks.

Frolow

Banned
Wow, completely expected this to be an iOS game from the moment Square Enix trademarked the name. Anyway, I absolutely adored the first game. One of the best rhythm games I've played in years. Hopefully the majority of the songs are brand new tracks instead of ones from the previous game, although I wouldn't mind if they included the DLC.

tokkun

SE only localizes games that sell 100-250k copies, at least. How well did the first one do?

Why apply the same standard used on RPGs with boatloads of text to a rhythm action game with just a few menu items? If they are smart, they will just do the translation and programming work during the normal development process.

Is that Benjamin next to Vivi??

UwZ52eo.jpg

Top Bottom