• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will reveal a new console RPG that isn’t a remake in December

Nerokis

I don't know why hall are hyped for a dragon quest announcement. It won't get localized :(

I think it would. DQX was a unique case, and seeing as DQXI will in all likelihood be a PS4(/X1?) game, they're certainly going to want the West's install base.

Jarnet87

Deus Ex makes sense for the fail reveal, every time they tease a reveal its total facepalm. "Actually, right now, we’re working on a new RPG specifically for consoles and it isn’t a remake" translation: Eidos has another project while we internally develop nothing but mobile and ports.

LtOrange

I'm kinda cautious with the wording. It's not a remake so it could still be a port, right? DQ10 for PS4 with western localization? This is Square Enix after all. Keeping my expectation the lowest possible is probably a good idea.

This would be a bad thing? This is a announcement I would go completely crazy over.

Elios83

Would be nice if they attempted to do something like the Bravely series this time on next gen consoles.
I doubt they'll talk about DQXI before Heroes is releases.
I don't think that old series will be resurrected.

That's what I was thinking, particularly if it were announced at the PS Experience.

Deus Ex makes sense for the fail reveal, every time they tease a reveal its total facepalm. "Actually, right now, we’re working on a new RPG specifically for consoles and it isn’t a remake" translation: Eidos has another project while we internally develop nothing but mobile and ports.

Yeah, the sequel to one of the best games of last gen being announced would totally be a "fail reveal". Their western studios should just sit there and not make any games. SMH.

Famassu

That's what I was thinking, particularly if it were announced at the PS Experience.
They aren't going to tease Deus Ex reveal in Famitsu. It's a Japanese RPG. I'm expecting either a new SaGa game or a completely new IP in the veins of NIER or Last Remnant.

Begaria

I wouldn't mind seeing a totally brand new game from them. There was a time when Square Enix took a chance on new IPs: circa early 7th gen and a ton of times before then. Feels like they've been hammering home Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest a little too much lately across all of their platforms. I may rag on Bravely Default's crappy second half, but at least it was a new IP, even if it borrowed heavily from prior ideas.

KoopaTheCasual

Why the hell would they talk about DQXI before promotions for DQHeroes are out the door? Don't think it's Dragon Quest, and that makes this even more exciting. With KH3 and FFXV announced and known, and with DQH taking up the DQ spotlight, it might be that SE is finally pushing another franchise back into the console space.

jorgeton

I hope it's a new IP.

I miss PS1/PS2 era SE, where they weren't afraid to drop a crazy bomb like Unlimited Saga, but would also take a risk on something like Bushido Blade.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
They haven't been silent all that long, it's hardly been a year since they finished Lightning Returns' and less than a year from its western localization's release. They could still easily be in some early phases of development after spending a good ~6+ months planning thoroughly what their next project would be. It's time to let Ito out of the basement cleaning closet to direct something for consoles again or something before unleashing Toriyama on the world again.

That's because you assume the project started after LR. I bet Kitase & Toriyama's own project is cooking up from long before that, probably mid-way XIII-2 development. LR: FFXIII was such a small project that most of the staff was surely busy developing something else. I guess it'll be a 2016 game so announcing now in 2015 (dcember 14) would make a lot of sense.

wapplew

How likely this game turn out as an Xbox exclusive? I mean they have sign time exclusive deal with MS, unprecedented relationship?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I forgot Star Ocean was a thing.... felt like such a long distant memory.

Come on SO5!

Final Fantasy XIII x Star Ocean

Edge Maverick flies into another black hole and this time pops out in the universe Lightning created.

Now Edge and Lightning team up for a campy adventure where they dress up in all sorts of skanky outfits to save the world.

How likely this game turn out as an Xbox exclusive? I mean they have sign time exclusive deal with MS, unprecedented relationship?
Unlikely to the extreme given the difference in Tomb Raider and a potential RPG's audience. Also one timed exclusive =/= "an unprecedented relationship"

Hastati

It'd be cool if it was something completely and utterly new.
It would also be cool if it was tactical/turn based. Probably neither of these things will happen.

squall211

Assuming it's a sequel for an existing IP, my personal preference would be:

1.) DQ XI
2.) Valkyrie Profile 3
3.) Star Ocean 5
4.) A new SaGa game
5.) Final Fantasy XVI (even though FF is and always will be my favorite series, I already know XV is coming *relatively* soon.)

ITS TIME

Brave_Fencer_Musashi.jpg

It will never happen

wmlk

If Microsoft is funding it like most exclusivity deals, then yeah, they wouldn't really lose.

Depends how much they fork out.

Tomb Raider happened because it still makes sense on XBOX consoles.

Regardless, I think it's a moot point to discuss if this will be XBOX exclusive. I think we all know that it won't be.

Let's not lose our heads just because.

Top Bottom