• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

It's sad how the Tourney mode could have been perfect if they added a option for 1v1 and 2v2. All but the two most important options are there :(

I'm seriously hoping they patch this in the future, although I don't think they will.

SuperSah

Banned
Anyone want a few games on 3DS?

I want to play the new stages. I only have Hyrule Castle, but if you have Dreamland, Sazuka Castle or Peach's Castle, that'd be fun!

Anyone down?

So it seems they made some changes to Pit that didn't carry over to Dark Pit, so he's very slightly decloned. Very slightly.

With his jab finish hitbox size, which Pit's was slightly increased.

Formless

I dont see why the devs would have their own hosted 1v1 tournaments and not offer it as an option. Shouldn't be too hard to patch in..

Then again no-hazard mode exists only for a small segment of the game.

Cedric

Dat uh.....buff.

And apparently Lloyd is borrowing moves from Colette, lol.

I've never played with the Miis, but do mii costumes actually get extra moves? Or did the Mii Swordsman always have a weapon like that? It really does look like Colette's weapon.

Tipping Stars is the same engine for both versions correct? Smash For 3DS and For Wii U are seen as different games (internally Smash 4 and Smash 5) and not running the same engine so data has to be made separately for both. This is why Iwata talked about the future being a joint architecture to address issues like this. Instead of the next two games (assuming they continue the handheld and console version route) being Smash 6 and 7, it'll hopefully be just one game released on two system allowing for proper cross buy.
Them not being he same game isn't an excuse. It's simply a matter of saying "hey we see you bought it for Wii U, that means we will make the other free. It's bogus.

Loving Hyrule Castle 64...my only wish is that when you played on the 64 stages, all the sound effects would revert back to the bowling pin noises from the original game. That would have been so ace.

I've never played with the Miis, but do mii costumes actually get extra moves? Or did the Mii Swordsman always have a weapon like that? It really does look like Colette's weapon.

Mii swordsman has always had those moves. Most of his moves seem to be heavily inspired by Takamaru though.

Loving Hyrule Castle 64...my only wish is that when you played on the 64 stages, all the sound effects would revert back to the bowling pin noises from the original game. That would have been so ace.

A lot of stages have custom barrels and crates to fit their theme. I wish Smash 64 stages had the Smash 64 crates and barrel models used on them.

A lot of stages have custom barrels and crates to fit their theme. I wish Smash 64 stages had the Smash 64 crates and barrel models used on them.

Yeah. Tbh, I'd rather them just remake the stages with HD graphics from the ground up, rather than haphazardly porting them. But regardless, a stage is a stage and I'm happy we have more to play on.

Yeah. Tbh, I'd rather them just remake the stages with HD graphics from the ground up, rather than haphazardly porting them. But regardless, a stage is a stage and I'm happy we have more to play on.

Well, they did technically remake them from the ground up with HD graphics. Those HD graphics just happen to look identical to the ones used on the originals lol

Except Hyrule's skybox. They appear to have given up while making that, as it's noticeably lower quality than the other N64 backgrounds.

I hope everyone re-enacted the memorable and amazing fight from Smash 64 Classic Mode by setting only 64 items on medium and fighting a Level 1 Link that stands around and does nothing for 30 seconds.

Also make sure to do another Classic fight by having the Mario Bros on a team on level 6, but have a partner Pikachu at level 2 who kills himself almost instantly. On Peach's Castle. Ensure Luigi always picks up all Hammer spawns as well for extra authenticity.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Kind of shocked to hear that anyone gives a crap about tourney mode being online only. I must've used it once in my entire life. All you hardcore tourney players have been using some third party tourney organizing thing up until now anyway right, what's the big deal?

Kind of shocked to hear that anyone gives a crap about tourney mode being online only. I must've used it once in my entire life. All you hardcore tourney players have been using some third party tourney organizing thing up until now anyway right, what's the big deal?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. When Smash 4 came out I didn't even realize Tournament mode was missing. It was one of those features I knew existed in past games, but I never touched and never really even noticed missing.

To hear a bunch of people whose sole enjoyment from Smash comes from this mode kind of surprises me.

Tourneys look fun! I'm a casual (read: terrible) Smash player, so I'm mostly fine with the lack of depth. The one thing I miss, though, is an offline mode.

Regarding the new stages, I hope I'm not offending people who like them, but they look so damn ugly and small... are Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle worth it for newbies in Smash or is it a nostalgia thing?

Also, a nice rundown on tourneys:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/guide_how_to_get_the_most_out_of_super_smash_bros_tourneys

Not having custom 1v1 tournaments completely killed whatever hype I had for the patch :( It's crazy because they have all these other damn options on there. Why wouldn't they let us have the one option everyone actually wanted?

Revven

These are two different groups of people you're talking about in this post...

Let us know if any gaf tournaments happen (thread perhaps). Would love to try and get better with Marth

We can't make bracket-based tournaments with this patch so there won't be any GAF tournaments.

Well, I think it boils down to two things.

1.) Like several things in this game, it just seems like an easy thing to have made work that shouldn't have required a lot of extra effort. Even if you're on the dev theme and the mindset you're working with is "we don't expect that a lot of people will use it offline," if it's something that's not hard to do, why not just do it?

2.) Mind you, I'm past the point in my life where I can get 8 - 64 people together with the intent of playing a video game in person, but in the past? There's been time where I've been in situations where a group of people are swapping controllers in and out where some people are playing a game and others are watching and still others are off in the other room having drinks and chatting. Maybe you get a wild hair to suggest "hey, we've got a bunch of people that like Smash here, why not have a tournament!?"

And maybe you don't feel like getting out a pad and paper and setting up the brackets and trying to make it like a legit FGC tourney because you're not actually a tournament organizer. I mean, I don't think anyone ever suspected that this thing would have so many features that you could run a top 64 with stage strikes and counter-picks assigned to the right player and losers brackets and variable round counts to set it for best of 3 until top 8 or finals, but you know something basic would completely suffice in the above scenario.

I think enough people would use it to make the minimal amount of effort worthwhile. Again, it's just another one of those things where something that would make a feature go from "oh, that's kind of neat," to "they really delivered here" is missing. And it's disappointing just because you know that assuaging the complaints can't really take that much development time.

Berordn

I'm glad I'm not the only one. When Smash 4 came out I didn't even realize Tournament mode was missing. It was one of those features I knew existed in past games, but I never touched and never really even noticed missing.

To hear a bunch of people whose sole enjoyment from Smash comes from this mode kind of surprises me.

I can't say I'm particularly bothered by its omission or that it's something I used often, but it was a fun diversion when we had large groups of people over that I do kind of miss.

It's mostly moot now of course, since we have 8 player Smash, but it's not something I would mind having back for casual friend tournaments.

Top Bottom