• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

Kind of shocked to hear that anyone gives a crap about tourney mode being online only. I must've used it once in my entire life. All you hardcore tourney players have been using some third party tourney organizing thing up until now anyway right, what's the big deal?

I'm probably even weirder than most people here: I would like offline tourneys I could play alone against the CPU ^_^

Them not being he same game isn't an excuse. It's simply a matter of saying "hey we see you bought it for Wii U, that means we will make the other free. It's bogus.

Nintendo made hella money selling to people who like me were going to buy it on both systems. I seriously doubt they'll simply give the other one away for free. Tipping Stars is not a trend; more to due with the game, budget, perception.

The Lamp

Kind of shocked to hear that anyone gives a crap about tourney mode being online only. I must've used it once in my entire life. All you hardcore tourney players have been using some third party tourney organizing thing up until now anyway right, what's the big deal?

Melee and Brawl both had it. It was fun for large groups to come over and play a tournament. It makes even MORE sense now that there are so many control options and 8-player smash capabilities. They had a year to send it out, yet the feature is missing.

NoKisum

Melee and Brawl both had it. It was fun for large groups to come over and play a tournament. It makes even MORE sense now that there are so many control options and 8-player smash capabilities. They had a year to send it out, yet the feature is missing.

Because brackets are way too hard to develop I guess.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

300x.jpg

In pretty much every instance where we've gotten a menu that looks like this, puzzle piece tiles that are rounded on one side but don't line up, it's been because the menu is incomplete, and something new is coming to fill the gaps. Maybe it'll be something 1v1? Maybe something completely new? Either way something's definitely coming.

SMgamer83

Tipping Stars is the same engine for both versions correct? Smash For 3DS and For Wii U are seen as different games (internally Smash 4 and Smash 5) and not running the same engine so data has to be made separately for both. This is why Iwata talked about the future being a joint architecture to address issues like this. Instead of the next two games (assuming they continue the handheld and console version route) being Smash 6 and 7, it'll hopefully be just one game released on two system allowing for proper cross buy.

Not the same engine FYI.

Since you asked

I've seen a bit of it on Reddit as well.

It's a bit odd, I'll agree. But at least the poster notes "pick up the game again." If you're fortunate enough to have a lot of local players to play against but who aren't serious enough to be the types to go to local tourneys, I could see how this might be a feature to get people casually playing again. "Hey, we've all had our fill of just sitting around having random free-for-alls, but a tourney mode might be just what the doctor ordered in terms of injecting some interest among me and my friends to pick it up again."

Really dissappinted in the limit on YouTube uploading, but whatever.

Just glad that Ness and Olimar seemingly didn't get any nerfs.

The new Mii Swordfighter infinite is discouraging.

cyba89

Maybe not everyone is an hardcore player (I know that sounds crazy).
What's the big deal to implement such thing that clearly some people enjoyed in past iterations?

Formless

It seems they're willing to give characters a lot of buffs to their combo game as well as reducing end lag. I suspect they're not done yet either.

King K. Rool fans deserve to miss out on good games as punishment for their diabolically bad taste.

Well, he's not wrong.

Man I am sick of seeing this nonsense in this thread. This is literally just basic high school-level bullshit. I know you guys are better than that. I know we as a community are better than that.

Yes, I agree that the idea of not buying a game with 55 characters in it just because of the omission of one character is asinine, and posting only to say that is even more so. But that doesn't make it okay to go and call people's taste in characters bad or inferior because you have different preferences in digital people and animals.

Is the idea of not liking a character but being able to be sympathetic (or at least not a dick) to fans of that character so foreign to you?

Lunar15

It seems they're willing to give characters a lot of buffs to their combo game as well as reducing end lag. I suspect they're not done yet either.

Which is so the right way to go about it. More games should buff bad characters more than they nerf good ones. Nerfs should generally only apply to exploits and infinites.

Sponge

Banned
King K. Rool fans deserve to miss out on good games as punishment for their diabolically bad taste.

This is exactly why I cannot stand going into Smash threads and speculating anymore. I basically get guilted for liking a character because apparently I have terrible taste. Ugh.

Lunar15

Y'all know coldman is just taking the piss out of a ridiculous statement where someone said they're not buying an entire game due to a character getting a costume, right?

Y'all know coldman is just taking the piss out of a ridiculous statement where someone said they're not buying an entire game due to a character getting a costume, right?

How dare he not buy the game. Though I do think it's bit premature, since the ballot isn't over yet. There is no need to overreact.

Man I am sick of seeing this nonsense in this thread. This is literally just basic high school-level bullshit. I know you guys are better than that. I know we as a community are better than that.

Yes, I agree that the idea of not buying a game with 55 characters in it just because of the omission of one character is asinine, and posting only to say that is even more so. But that doesn't make it okay to go and call people's taste in characters bad or inferior because you have different preferences in digital people and animals.

Is the idea of not liking a character but being able to be sympathetic (or at least not a dick) to fans of that character so foreign to you?

My read on those kinds of posts is that they are mostly, if not entirely facetious. If actual malice is intended there that I'm just not picking up on, then I agree, knock it off. But -- though I wasn't really around for a lot of the game's pre-release character discussion -- I've been around enough post-release to know that the desire to see K. Rool in the game oscillates between sincerity and silliness. Given the latter, some tongue-in-cheek ribbing doesn't strike me as altogether inappropriate.

But like I said, if it's more mean-spirited than I'm giving credit, I can agree that it's in poor taste.

Lunar15

How dare he not buy the game. Though I do think it's bit premature, since the ballot isn't over yet.

I don't actually care what that guy does, but the statement itself is hilarious and and isn't free from some ribbing.

I mean... people getting offended by jokes about character preferences? Much worse stuff to be offended by in these threads.

Also yes, until Sakruai says he's done adding characters, I wouldn't take anything as indication that someone or something can't be a playable character. There are no rules, and there never were.

Formless

Which is so the right way to go about it. More games should buff bad characters more than they nerf good ones. Nerfs should generally only apply to exploits and infinites.

I figure there's sort of a checklist that devs can have for making a character viable. They're making minor adjustments towards improving the combo/neutral game for everyone in general with a few nerfs sprinkled throughout.

Exile20

The best thing about this update is that you can use customs and play with miis online. Gives a reason to buy the costumes now.

Wait no 1v1 in custom tournaments? What the hell Sakurai? We can't even play how we want in our own custom game?

1 on 1 is only in the community tournament but we can't create our own. This a puzzling decision. I have no clue why we can't create our own. Tournaments are normally associated with 1 on 1.

This was obviously intentional but no clue why.

SeanR1221

The best thing about this update is that you can use customs and play with miis online. Gives a reason to buy the costumes now.

1 on 1 is only in the community tournament but we can't create our own. This a puzzling decision. I have no clue why we can't create our own. Tournaments are normally associated with 1 on 1.

This was obviously intentional but no clue why.

Miis online now? That's awesome.

if I can't make fun of someone for giving that much shit about King K. Rool then what is even the point of the Internet tbh

anyway: THESE WFT BUFFS ARE SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Ahnez

300x.jpg

In pretty much every instance where we've gotten a menu that looks like this, puzzle piece tiles that are rounded on one side but don't line up, it's been because the menu is incomplete, and something new is coming to fill the gaps. Maybe it'll be something 1v1? Maybe something completely new? Either way something's definitely coming.

Yes, and it helps a lot, because we know more or less what to expect ("online events" in this case) lol

Hope they announce the next big update's content soon :p

Timeaisis

So I guess Tourney mode is kind of a bust...huh?

We can at least to MK8 style always-open rooms, right? That's good, I guess. For FFA, anyway.

KingBroly

Banned
Offline Tourneys were a great way to pass the time in Melee and Brawl. Yeah, you may have been limited to local, but they were fun to setup and it felt like you accomplished something by the end. I really wanted that to comeback, but it didn't, and not only that, it seems rather half-assed and kinda backwards.

I would have LOVED to setup an amiibo Tournament for this, but I can't because there's no Offline Tourney mode.

Revven

You think a casual group of friends is going to want to take the time to organize brackets? They could have literally just used the online mode except made it offline.

Well, not exactly because the creation of bracket tournaments is not a thing online (yet?)

baconcow

I used to play offline tournaments with my friends and/or bots, all the time. I cannot believe tournaments are going to be online only.

Top Bottom