• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixyz

Man, now that I've seen this video about Derek Smart's game (and read some of the reviews on Steam) the whole feud he has started suddenly makes sense. He is not a concerned backer. He is just utterly incompetent and therefore is eaten up by fucking jealousy. This guy needs to a get a grip on reality again.

viveks86

Close up of the character model used in the Gamecom demo
close_upo2uas.png

And in jump point it mentions higher quality passes for eye, lighting, and glass shaders. Not bad.....

This looks fantastic. Finally, nothing looks out of place. And yay to eye lashes!

It's hardly AAA, otherwise we'd be onto Squadron 44 by now.

AAA is a marketing term for various things including budget, quality and target base. Development speed isn't one of them. In addition to this we heard about this game from the start of development. If this was like the other companies we wouldn't have a public announcement until they were much deeper in development. To say Star Citizen is not comparable to any other AAA title is wrong.

SmartBase

AAA is a marketing term for various things including budget, quality and target base. Development speed isn't one of them. In addition to this we heard about this game from the start of development. If this was like the other companies we wouldn't have a public announcement until they were much deeper in development. To say Star Citizen is not comparable to any other AAA title is wrong.

I was being mostly facetious, I hoped me bolding some choice developers in the quote made it more obvious.

This has likely been posted in here at some point but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7n29gEV18w

Wow, and this guys has the nerve to criticize Star Citizen the way he is? This guy is delusional and an attention seeker.

I was being mostly facetious, I hoped me bolding some choice developers in the quote made it more obvious.

Sorry didn't catch that at all. Whatever your opinions about those companies they have a ton of people that put their hands on their biggest franchises and they stagger their releases. None of them to the scale of Star Citizen but that doesn't degrade the awesome work they do on their titles. Ubi may have alot of stuff content wise but I think they have the creation down to a science built up off of the experienced gained while making the earlier AC and Farcry titles.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Speaking of Gamescom we are officially T-5 days until social module
delay

First wave of PTU invites has gone out. Check your email:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/280997

A brief summary of the things we've added for those that want to see them here:
-Elevator in the hangar now connects to ArcCorp, allowing players to explore the map and some of the shops that it has
-New chat system added
-Emotes added
- /help command added to list all the emotes

Also, like they said there, don't get phished.

Looks like it's under a new confidentiality agreement for pre-release testers:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ieuu4/new_agreement_on_login_text_inside/

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I can l the hype overtaking me!

It is a good pain!

Make sure you log on to AC if you want to be part of the test - apparently the next round is going to be selected from people who have logged on recently:

"WLeverett.CIG: Hey guys! We won't be adding more invites tonight... but here a ProTip! If you want in on the next round which is coming in the next 24 hours, make sure you log on to AC right now as the next round will be from players who have actively logged in the last couple of days."
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...d_about_12_ptu_uwleverett_has_protip_for_you/

The new agreement shows up after launching arena commander - maybe accepting that initial agreement is part of the selection condition.

Make sure you log on to AC if you want to be part of the test - apparently the next round is going to be selected from people who have logged on recently:

"WLeverett.CIG: Hey guys! We won't be adding more invites tonight... but here a ProTip! If you want in on the next round which is coming in the next 24 hours, make sure you log on to AC right now as the next round will be from players who have actively logged in the last couple of days."
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...d_about_12_ptu_uwleverett_has_protip_for_you/

The new agreement shows up after launching arena commander - maybe accepting that initial agreement is part of the selection condition.
Will do that when I get home!
Did CIG just....not-miss a deadline? I mean, admittedly it was one they announced super recently, but still.
Sky is falling.
you know it
What does this update include? Anything that was shown at gamescom?
As mentioned below, the social module!
Hell yea, anybody here get an invite?
Good question. Anyone?

Geist-

Is it going to be *that* surprising though given how much they've demo'd that level?

I think they're talking about the feeling of going from your hangar, which we've all walked around a million times, to the much bigger epic looking ArcCorp cityscape. They didn't show that in the demo (the transition).

Zalusithix

I think they're talking about the feeling of going from your hangar, which we've all walked around a million times, to the much bigger epic looking ArcCorp cityscape. They didn't show that in the demo (the transition).

I think Mass Effect gave me enough elevators for a life time. ;)

Zalusithix

I'm looking forward to Arena Commander 2.0 much more (their last Gamescom Demo), but the social module is a start.

I think everybody is looking forward to AC2 more than the social module. Hell, I'd wager even the Star Marine module would lose out to it if it were put up for a vote. Still, you take what you can get. =) I have no intent on going the whole PTU route though. I'll get my "experience" when it hits the regular release servers.

Zalusithix

Looks like no screenshots or streaming is allowed for this. Oh well, just more of a surprise when I load it up

If the community at large pays any heed to that request, then I'll be very surprised. One just has to look at the leak proliferation to get an idea how much we'll see of it.

Geist-

Breaking some rules, but here's a pic of a glitch I did where I fell through the floor...falling forever.

Also, the social module is a lot more enjoyable than I was expecting. The attention to detail they have for the environment and the sounds make exploring it way more fun than I expected. It's just something that the demo can't really convey.

First wave of PTU invites has gone out. Check your email:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/280997

Also, like they said there, don't get phished.

Looks like it's under a new confidentiality agreement for pre-release testers:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ieuu4/new_agreement_on_login_text_inside/

Well shit, making a deadline. The audacity of them :p

If the community at large pays any heed to that request, then I'll be very surprised. One just has to look at the leak proliferation to get an idea how much we'll see of it.

Unless they funded an army of ninja this will be true.

Have they clarified anything the module passes system? Is it still $5 per module?

Zalusithix

I doubt they really could get away with making a separate pass for it even if they wanted to. It's not really a module with gameplay aspects to it, so I don't imagine many people would have much of an inclination to pay for it.

Geist-

Looks like no screenshots or streaming is allowed for this. Oh well, just more of a surprise when I load it up

I'd be surprised if that lasts longer than it takes for the PTU to roll out to everyone.

Tony Zurovec says he hopes to get everyone into the PTU by this Friday.

Tony Zurovec (Director of PU) was in chatroll earlier (and a lot of other devs too), here are some random answers he gave to questions we posted to him. Please note that most of these were with respect to the Social Module PTU which just launched:

What time is it for you?
2:18 AM here.....​
When asked about ingame chat
Chat is currently totally global. Tomorrow's update will make it global per server instance. Chat channels will come in an update. They're already supported at the network service level, but the user interface doesn't yet expose them.​
When asked about chatboxes ingame
I think you may as well allow it. It's a convenience, and if you don't, players will just use TeamSpeak or Skype or their cell phones to communicate in real-time anyways....​
When asked about shared hangars
Going into friends hangars will arrive with what I'd call Social Module 2.0. That's the next major milestone, but I'll likely aim to slot a half-point upgrade before that once we've back in the main development stream. Ironically, most of the code to share a friend's hangar is already done. It's just in a different development stream.​
Milestones
The fun really starts after the Social milestones.... I'll talk about those with the release text for the public launch of the Social Module. The Social milestones are more about laying groundwork and testing base functionality - network functionality and performance, in particular. Two months ago we couldn't put a dozen players into ArcCorp without cratering the frame rate. Now at 25 the bandwidth is irrelevant...and it will be getting much better over the next couple of months. This particular PTU version? It'll be outdated by tomorrow night.​
When asked about ship optimization
The PU's efforts are currently focused on network optimizations for FPS players and characters. Ship optimizations will require a separate effort. It's likely we'll focus on that after getting the character stuff working really well.​
Grabby Hands
you'll likely see a grabby hands update with the AI Module, or possibly the earlier Character Customization Module where you'll be able to change your clothing.​
When asked about avatars:
Clothing customization will come first. Facial and body customization will come a bit later. The exact elements haven't yet been decided, but the basic thinking is that you'll be able to select your sex, possibly some level of height/weight, hair, skin tone, facial texture, possibly eyes and nose, likely distinguishing marks (like scars), and other such things.​
When asked about facial customization on the Sims level
.Unknown at this point, honestly. My preference is to usually go with the base functionality first and then build upon it. So...I'd aim to get the basic facial customization stuff in as soon as possible and release it, and then just add the ability to customize additional stuff later....​
Most looked-forward to module?
My favorite will be the AI Module.​
When asked about delivery dates/scope:
I'm predominantly focused on what we can realistically deliver over the next twelve months. It's a rolling window, so in six months I'll be worried about what we can deliver 18 months from now.​
PU Alpha is too vague. It means different things to different people. The schedule is broken down into PU milestones, each of which focuses on different parts of the basic foundation that's needed for the ultimate game. I'll touch on that a bit with the release text for the Social Module release to the general community. The problem with "PU Alpha" is...can you shop? How are the prices and availability determined? What will the TDD pay for your commodities? Can you mine? What other types of missions are available? Is there AI? To what level exactly - walking around shops? Available for hire? Piloting ships in capacities other than combat pilots? Etc. etc.. It's impossible to try and describe an alpha in a couple of sentences without everyone having a different idea of what's going to be delivered. I'm going to try and add some more specificity to the near-term goals with the text for the Social Module release to the general public.​
I don't know what this means, sorry. Question was about players in the bar
No hitching? Yes, tons of work done on NPC blending and interpolation with the new network optimizations to achieve that.​
When asked about player limits/networking:
The networking could easily handle 50 players at the moment. It's the graphics performance that's the limiting factor. That graphics performance will take a substantial leap forward as soon as we're back in the "GameDev" stream. It's a long story, but basically Star Citizen split the code base into streams for Star Marine, and we had to do the Social Module in 1.2.0 - which doesn't have access to the latest graphics stuff - because that's where GIM was, and we had to do GIM in 1.2.0 with Star Marine because it needed a more robust matchmaker. That said...obviously we've got loads of low-res LODs to help cope, and the zone system will cull characters very efficiently.​
When asked about dev streams:
Merging 1.2.0 and GameDev is a huge priority. It's a long story, but basically the code base split when Star Marine was supposed to launch, and most of the main (not FPS specific) development occurs in the GameDev stream. We had to launch the Social Module from 1.2.0 - without the benefit of a lot of cool stuff in GameDev - because we needed GIM and the other updated networking tech, and that had specifically been done in 1.2.0 for the benefit of Star Marine. So...long story short...we'll take a quantum leap once we're back in GameDev.​
Further Quotes
Casaba is still being modified, so we just closed it off rather than show something that wasn't quite ready. ArcCorp is actually getting a facelift as well. The store facades will look much better in the near future...the main building below Astro Armada will get a big bump in its visuals...and we'll go to lower-poly but parallax occlusion mapped objects to get better performance while maintaining high visual fidelity.
The area just past Dumper's Depot ends at a fence. You'll be able to go past that eventually. The area to the left of Casaba and heading away from the Skywalk ends at a fence. You'll be able to go past that as well.
Report all issues you find in the PTU. We'll fix as many as possible this week.
Terra Prime's main "city" takes place on external levels of a huge (probably 0.75 mile or so) skyscraper. Terra Prime is so large that we're focusing on some smaller cities first - the so-called First Five.​
Other stuff
  • They are planning a rollout of a lot of features soon, with daily PTU updates, and at least two LARGE updates of the Social Module this year, with many more smaller ones in between.
  • The Current Arccorp space in the PTU is about a third of the final size of Arccorp. There are two fenced off areas that nobody can access yet (although by the time I post this I'm guessing someone will have figured out how to clip through).
  • The Size of Terra Prime will be THREE times the size of any other planetary landing zone. Initially 3 maps stitched together, eventually seamless without any loading.
  • Nyx should be in by October or so (No promises), and temporarily your elevator will have magic planet-hopping powers. Tardis!
  • Current plan is to roll out PTU invites for Social Module over this week, hopefully getting everybody in by Friday, but no promises.
  • First Five systems confirmed. PU Alpha mentioned by Tony Z, but he also noted that the definition of "PU Alpha" varies by individual. Stand by for clarification.
  • Expect a big Commlink post from Tony Z sometime soon going into expectations for the Social Module.
  • Bounty Hunting and Piracy commlink articles from Tony Z sometime in the future.
  • CIG requests that we do NOT share media/pictures/videos/streams of the PTU just yet.
  • Tony Z asks that we submit bug reports as much as possible. Current bugs found include a falling through the map bug near the M50 and clipping through some objects, as well as gamepads being able to go prone (it's supposed to be disabled).
  • Josh (Of commlink "Sweet!" fame) was the first Citizen on Arccorp, and possibly the first to submit a bug report (the M50 clipping bug). Congrats.
  • Tony Z mentions that they are definitely pushing for "more than 50" people in an instance. This was in reference to the Social Module. Not sure if applies to space instances.
  • Tony Z is expected to drop in chatroll throughout this week. Drop by and have good questions ready!

KKRT00

"The Size of Terra Prime will be THREE times the size of any other planetary landing zone. Initially 3 maps stitched together, eventually seamless without any loading."
CryEngine maps are 4km x 4km i believe, so this should be up to 12km x 4km.

Daedardus

"The Size of Terra Prime will be THREE times the size of any other planetary landing zone. Initially 3 maps stitched together, eventually seamless without any loading."

Doesn't the 64bit change provide larger maps? Not sure why people always measure map sizes in km. You have indeed a player character to measure things with, but isn't it the data size that counts?

tuxfool

Banned

This presumes that each map is reaching the maximum size. For a variety of reasons, like architecture, this may not be the case.

KKRT00

Doesn't the 64bit change provide larger maps? Not sure why people always measure map sizes in km. You have indeed a player character to measure things with, but isn't it the data size that counts?

Its not due to 32bit limitation. Its some other limitation. Generally terrain geometry is converted from voxels in CryEngine so maybe that.
64bit is being implemented for space, not planetside, but i remember that Crytek was working on bigger maps for both Homefront and especially for Hunt.

---
http://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=1007535#p1007535
Pretty good thread about.

Generally 4km x 4km is for the highest density mesh, but You can scale it up, by expanding mesh up to even 128km x 128km.
But because Star Citizen operates on real world precision than 4km x 4km is the limit for map.

New_level_dialog.png

Resolution goes to up 4096 x 4096 and meters per unit from 1 to 32.

Zalusithix

By the time we need 128-bit address space, we'll more than likely just fly our own real ships across the galaxy.

You didn't add an "in this game" qualifier, so I'm going to treat that as a blanket statement in general and point to IPv6. Where's my damn space ship? ;P

Daedardus

You didn't add an "in this game" qualifier, so I'm going to treat that as a blanket statement in general and point to IPv6. Where's my damn space ship? ;P

Well, IPv4 is only 4.3 billion adresses, that's not even a device per person on Earth. Meanwhile, if we can figure out how to make electronics that exhaust the 64-bit address space, spaceflight shouldn't pose a problem anymore.

Zalusithix

Well, IPv4 is only 4.3 billion adresses, that's not even a device per person on Earth. Meanwhile, if we can figure out how to make electronics that exhaust the 64-bit address space, spaceflight shouldn't pose a problem anymore.
While it's true that we don't need a 128 bit address space for IPs, it's nice to see them planning ahead to avoid the problem from ever happening again. Meanwhile we could probably exhaust a 64 bit address space before space flight becomes a reality. All we need to do is to screw up our orbit with tons of debris. That'll sufficiently delay any chances of getting off this rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom