• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
One environment done, 399 more to go.

They've already said that they're not finished with ArcCorp yet, though. There are fenced-off areas that still need to be finished.

This is Star Citizen. Nothing is done. Nothing is ever done.

This. In the very least, 12 months from now, CIG will come up with some new way of adding detail or improving lighting or whatever and they'll completely scrap and redo the entirety of ArcCorp. And whatever else they've completed by then (Nyx, Terra Prime, etc.).

So the Social module is going live tonight!

Hype! Source?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Hype! Source?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3iri36/official_social_module_is_being_released_today/
wNvPwPX.png

I was just checking that subreddit to look up the folder name for the PTU pre-copy and saw it, lol

Zalusithix

This. In the very least, 12 months from now, CIG will come up with some new way of adding detail or improving lighting or whatever and they'll completely scrap and redo the entirety of ArcCorp. And whatever else they've completed by then (Nyx, Terra Prime, etc.).

This tendency is somewhat of a waste of time and resources, but at the same time I love it. The new ships have progressively gotten better and better. The fact that they're going back and revamping the older ones to match the quality of the newer ones is great.

Daedardus

What? They are fulfilling their promises of a launch this month? I think I'm going to sue. They didn't deliver what I expected, and I expected a delay. I'm fucking done with this game, smh.

Is that an energy weapon on the Harbinger and Sentinel?

I wonder if the Harbinger is basically the Super Hornet of Vanguards.

Harbinger looks like a rocket pod...with an ammo belt? Harbinger is supposed to be a medium bomber. Gladius-light bomber, Harbinger-Medium, Retaliator- Heavy bomber

Sentinel is an EWAR platform so it looks like a sensor array.

Zalusithix

Is that an energy weapon on the Harbinger and Sentinel?

I wonder if the Harbinger is basically the Super Hornet of Vanguards.

It looks like a railgun mounted on them to me.

As for the SH comment, the SH is definitely a step up from the standard Hornet. These Vanguards, on the other hand, serve different roles. Personally I have little interest in the Harbringer. Then again, I don't care about bombing in general. If I'm forced to go after a ship large enough to warrant bombers, I'd rather find a way to take it in one piece than blow it to a million pieces. If that wasn't enough to push me away from it, the rocket pod on the top sure as hell would do the trick. Looks like ass IMO. Also no way for the turret to rotate fully if it needs to be fed from the back like that.

Now the Sentinel... That I find interesting from a conceptual standpoint. I'll probably end up getting the upgrade kit for it rather than getting another ship though. Even then, I doubt I'd use it much. One of the primary reasons I got the Vanguard in the first place was the big ass cannon on the front of it. Reminded me of the Warthog. Take that away, and the ship loses a lot of its charm.

Now for some critique. They still haven't fixed that awkward as hell rear tank tread thing. The support structure goes through the tread. It's kind of hard for a tread to move when there's a stake through it. =P They should just get rid of it all together. It's a silly idea. Treads suck for high speeds, and are really only useful for offroad propulsion. The rear wheel area is not used to push the craft - only to support it. Meanwhile the front uses standard wheels so any offroad capability it might have afforded is moot. Make it a trio of wheels at the back without the treads and call it a day.

Also, I see the mini-torpedo bays under the engine pods are gone now. They still exist on the Warden model, but that's just because that model hasn't changed at all in the holo-viewer.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Now for some critique. They still haven't fixed that awkward as hell rear tank tread thing. The support structure goes through the tread. It's kind of hard for a tread to move when there's a stake through it. =P They should just get rid of it all together. It's a silly idea. Treads suck for high speeds, and are really only useful for offroad propulsion. The rear wheel area is not used to push the craft - only to support it. Meanwhile the front uses standard wheels so any offroad capability it might have afforded is moot. Make it a trio of wheels at the back without the treads and call it a day.

Yup, good eye. That'll need to be fixed.

Just got a free $15 or (15k UEC) as a thanks for my support! It says "our records show you backed after the Gamescom Free Fly event"... I've been a backer since we were at like $10 million.

Just got a free $15 or (15k UEC) as a thanks for my support! It says "our records show you backed after the Gamescom Free Fly event"... I've been a backer since we were at like $10 million.

Same. tehehe
Greetings Citizen,

Our records show that you backed Star Citizen after trying our Gamescom Fly Free event. We’d like to say THANK YOU for your support. Star Citizen would not be possible without hundreds of thousands of players around the world coming together to make the game happen. As you may have already discovered, that extends well beyond paying for the game: the feedback we get from players given access to early builds is essential for development. And so again, thank you for making Star Citizen possible.

As a small token of our appreciation, we’ve put 15,000 UEC ($15) on your Voyager Direct account. You can use that money to pick up additional weapons or components for your ship, or even decorations for your Hangar. Welcome to the ‘Verse, Citizen… we’re proud to have you in our ranks.

We’d love to hear about your experience so far. You can access our interactive community at forums.robertsspaceindustries.com. Let us know what you liked, what you’d like to see changed and where you’d like to see us go with Star Citizen.

We hope you enjoyed Arena Commander; there’s a lot more to come!

Cheers,
Star Citizen Team

Cool by me, so what's the best weapon 17,000 UEC can buy for the front/center mount on a Hornet FC7?

They gave me 15% off coupon...starter packages are now 38 USD. hum.

Looks like we are the chosen ones.
bank-error-monopoly.jpg

Ben:
Hey guys!

Several hundred backers received an email in error tonight awarding 15,000 UEC for purchasing a package as part of the Gamescom promotion. This was intended only to go to a small number of accounts which were created by Citizens who decided to join us following the 'Fly Free' promotion. Unfortunately, the script was in error and it awarded UEC to everyone who used the code and had an existing account during the event... including a number of backers who had long-standing accounts. Because this was our mistake, if you were impacted you may keep the 15,000 UEC.

Here's what happened: we intended to offer a small coupon (15% off a starter package) to new players who tried the game using the Fly Free code. You know, make Citizens out of Civilians :) In planning this, we noticed that there were a number of new backers who had tried the game and immediately purchased their own package (THANK YOU!); since the coupon wouldn't help them, we decided a small UEC gift to let them experiment with the Voyager Direct store would be a fair trade (since they wouldn't have UEC of their own like existing backers.)

As I said, if you received the extra UEC you are free to keep it, we will not be removing it from your account... I just wanted to let everyone know what happened and why!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Amusingly enough, it pops up the PTU notice for non-PTU play.

Yep, did that for me too, heh. Had to go to the website first to download a new launcher, though. I logged into the original one and it said I needed to download a whole new one =( I don't like the new launcher's logo, it looks kinda shitty.

Anyway, I've got about 11½ hours of downloading to go. Hopefully that'll speed up a bit overnight and it'll be finished when I wake up (I'm going to bed in about half an hour).

Tic174

Wow, looks amazing. The landing video was just jaw dropping.
I haven't spent over £100 on a ship, but that Harbinger I want so bad.

Wow, looks amazing. The landing video was just jaw dropping.
I haven't spent over £100 on a ship, but that Harbinger I want so bad.

It's tempting me too. I've got a Warden I can melt for it, but I'm wondering if I can mix and match components from the battlefield kits.

It's tempting me too. I've got a Warden I can melt for it, but I'm wondering if I can mix and match components from the battlefield kits.

I have a warden as well. I am satisfied but a bit tempted to purchase the harbinger kit. That version just seems to be a whole pile of explosive meanness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom