• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogimachi

I mean, if you want a refund that's totally fine and I have no problem with it. But the final animations aren't in yet and probably won't be until Star Marine is released next month. I'd recommend waiting until that's out and the final animations are in.
I've been waiting a long time, I bought my ship back in early 2013. I really like the actual ship gameplay and I believe in the whole thing, but there's nothing I can do.
It actually makes me feel sick and I don't play games to feel like that.

Blizzard

Banned
I've been waiting a long time, I bought my ship back in early 2013. I really like the actual ship gameplay and I believe in the whole thing, but there's nothing I can do.
I can understand that, it actually ruins an entire game if there's no way to turn it off unless you take anti-motion-sickness medicine or something. And I'd rather not take medicine just to play certain games.

Fortunately it's been rare for me, stuff like STALKER where the head "bob" is actually a bizarre sideways sway.

The weird thing is that it should be pretty simple to just have a checkbox option that disables head bob -- unless they're considering that some sort of balance thing -- ESPECIALLY if it's going to be disabled in VR anyway so they'll already have the option.

So maybe it'll still get fixed.

Geist-

Right. I was just saying maybe wait until next month and see if the head bob had improved with the new animations. The whole thing about this is that the 1st and 3rd person views are unified, so the animations directly affect the movement of the head in first person. If the new animations don't fix the bobbing movement, then I'd say there's nothing else to talk about.

I also get a bit sick from the head bob so I understand how you feel, I only play once I'm a while to check out new things because it's so severe. I'm just hopeful that the final FPS animations make it a lot smoother than it currently is.

Sarcasm

Think the 15% discount is over. Shame because my money won't get to PP til the 2nd of Sept. Guess that is a sign to not get it.

Well discount is there under account, just not when clicked from email. Here is hoping.

GKB

Hi guys, i haven't been following star citizen in a while, sorry if someone already asked this. I wonder if it is possible to play the game entirely in third person? Excluding the spaceship part.

i got one of the 15% vouchers so finally bought it, crazy looking game at 4k, framerate isn't the best on a single titan x though, hows the sli scaling? certainly looks good in this video, well apart from the frametime issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqCyCPpv1a4

I only tried SLI scaling two times and it was not that great tbh (capped at around 70% per card). That was with 970s in SLI and 570s in Tri SLI.

It had too many scaling and frametime problems to recommend in this game at this time.

And yeah, this game kicks titan ass @ 4K.
Hi guys, i haven't been following star citizen in a while, sorry if someone already asked this. I wonder if it is possible to play the game entirely in third person? Excluding the spaceship part.

They call the game a "first person universe" on their website. The only times you will be able to see things in 3rd person, it will be unconducive to gameplay (no hud, no camera offset), not good control. The campaign is only in first person for example.

Geist-

Well, unless you're in FPS combat I believe there will be no restrictions on 3rd person, however you'll have to switch to 1st anytime you want to use the HUD or MobiGlas. But you can walk everywhere in 3rd person of you want AFAIK.

Edit: Also, sorry Dictator93, I changed my avatar again. :p

aliengmr

Nah, let people get a refund ASAP - assuming they'll even be granted one. If head bob for an unfinished social module is enough to make them want to get out, then they probably shouldn't have pledged to begin with. Backing projects isn't for everybody. Some people really should just wait for a finished project and then decide whether it's worth their money.

There should be a limited window of time to get one though. Like a two period where anyone who wants one can get one.

KKRT00

Well, unless you're in FPS combat I believe there will be no restrictions on 3rd person, however you'll have to switch to 1st anytime you want to use the HUD or MobiGlas. But you can walk everywhere in 3rd person of you want AFAIK.

Edit: Also, sorry Dictator93, I changed my avatar again. :p

I'm pretty sure Chris said that 3rd person mode will be disabled in final game, but i think they changed this for social module, so when You have holster weapon, You will be able to get to 3rd person to view Your character.

Geist-

I'm pretty sure Chris said that 3rd person mode will be disabled in final game, but i think they changed this for social module, so when You have holster weapon, You will be able to get to 3rd person to view Your character.

I can't seem to find the source right now, but Chris has mentioned just recently in a 10ftC that 3rd person will be staying in the game for vanity purposes, so you can see how your character or ship looks like, but your view will be locked to 1st person when you enter combat. I'll edit this post if I can find the source.

I can't seem to find the source right now, but Chris has mentioned just recently in a 10ftC that 3rd person will be staying in the game for vanity purposes, so you can see how your character or ship looks like, but your view will be locked to 1st person when you enter combat. I'll edit this post if I can find the source.

Seems crazy that an MMO, with first person combat or without, wouldn't allow you to see what your character looks like from a 3rd person perspective. Vanity is a part of mmo play.

Seems crazy that an MMO, with first person combat or without, wouldn't allow you to see what your character looks like from a 3rd person perspective. Vanity is a part of mmo play.

I definitely remember that question that chris answered. There will be thirdperson, but it will be purely vanity. So planetside in areas where you cannot draw a weapon.

Slight tangent: Any good, up-to-the-minute resources for SC info that *aren't* Reddit? /r/StarCitizen has clearly been overrun by /r/KotakuInAction as of late.

Geist-

Slight tangent: Any good, up-to-the-minute resources for SC info that *aren't* Reddit? /r/StarCitizen has clearly been overrun by /r/KotakuInAction as of late.
Ya, I try to fight against it sometimes but the downvote brigades are real.

INN is up-to-date, mostly because the same guys who post news to Reddit also post it to there at the same time. It's also the No.1 place for video transcripts.

Ya, I try to fight against it sometimes but the downvote brigades are real.

INN is up-to-date, mostly because the same guys who post news to Reddit also post it to there at the same time. It's also the No.1 place for video transcripts.

Keep up the effort, brother! :)

I'll have to pay more attention to INN, but I've been wary - one of the /r/StarCitizen mods is the "Director" there, while posting to KiA, bemoaning SJWs, wishing they could just auto-ban Polygon links, etc.

I get that SC's audience is likely a bit older, and therefore might skew a bit conservative, but watching people shoehorn ways to complain about any progressive aspect of things into the conversation because they know it'll get upvoted gets old.

da fuck, why did that happen, and what are they saying. ?
Polygon posted an article that brought up the recent delays, and how some backers are disappointed / asking for refunds (which is true, if not representative of the entire community.) Someone posted a comment to Polygon that said they "keep sensationalizing" SC coverage. Polygon moderated the comment, as one of their rules is "don't just complain about coverage, we're going to cover things you may not care about."

Person then posts an image of the moderation to /r/StarCitizen, where a circlejerk of how stupid / censor-happy / etc. Polygon is. KiA gets word, and suddenly the post goes to ~500 upvotes, in a sub where most non-realease-of-new-module content is ~50. Any post that points out the the original comment did, in fact, break Polygon's rules is downvoted, while posts like "gaming needs feminism like children need cancer" (seriously) get upvotes. A mod of KiA shows up to assure everyone that they love SC, and you should check out their sidebar, wiki, illustrated pamphlets, etc.

Shy

Polygon posted an article that brought up the recent delays, and how some backers are disappointed / asking for refunds (which is true, if not representative of the entire community.) Someone posted a comment to Polygon that said they "keep sensationalizing" SC coverage. Polygon moderated the comment, as one of their rules is "don't just complain about coverage, we're going to cover things you may not care about."

Person then posts an image of the moderation to /r/StarCitizen, where a circlejerk of how stupid / censor-happy / etc. Polygon is. KiA gets word, and suddenly the post goes to ~500 upvotes, in a sub where most non-realease-of-new-module content is ~50. Any post that points out the the original comment did, in fact, break Polygon's rules is downvoted, while posts like "gaming needs feminism like children need cancer" (seriously) get upvotes. A mod of KiA shows up to assure everyone that they love SC, and you should check out their sidebar, wiki, illustrated pamphlets, etc.
yU6SiWT.gif

Thanks for letting me know.

Finally got into the social module. My jaw was on the floor, it looked absolutely incredible, it was running at a super cinematic 24fps but my god it looked great. The reflections and light shafts in particular looked really pretty.

Finally got into the social module. My jaw was on the floor, it looked absolutely incredible, it was running at a super cinematic 24fps but my god it looked great. The reflections and light shafts in particular looked really pretty.

I am so jealous. I've been unable to get in, since release. Did it seem like the server issues were fixed?

SmartBase

I'd like to know of another information source as well. Doesn't help that one (or more) of the mods on that subreddit are gamergate morons.

My GTX 970 was handling HIGH settings at 900p at 60 fps in SC...then I walked into this section and things dropped as low at 29fps.

This game is worth my gpu exploding. :)

StarCitizen%202015-08-30%2022-51-26-57.png

yU6SiWT.gif

Thanks for letting me know.
My exact sentiment.
I am so jealous. I've been unable to get in, since release. Did it seem like the server issues were fixed?

I had some "server is full" and "error 09" stuff happen occassionally, but otherwise it has worked. Perhaps it is location based? I imagine Germany (where I am) has a number of servers spin up.

Daedardus

Meh, I don't know. I mean, Polygon seem capable of doing something like this:

CGgmeAo.jpg

Zalusithix

Press INS, then Hold L-ALT+G key, then use the mouse to swivel around.

He was referring to the possibility of the view being removed in the final game. I'm fairly certain that he knows it's possible now, and how to do it. Especially with tons of screenshots in 3rd person plastered in the thread. (One on this page that he did himself no less.)

Effect

Finally got into the social mod last night after trying all day and getting errors. Looks nice but question some of the decisions they made in it's design but that's par for the course. I like the art style they're going for. I'm a sucker for futurish planet locations in games. This runs far better then that tutorial they created which is buggy as all hell and that really should just be removed to have another pass done on it.

I didn't see any way to resize the chat box. It's tiny right now so couldn't really communicate with others but could make out most were just trying to glitch the things in order to get to other parts of the area. Ultimately wasn't wowed by what I saw at all and don't really think it was worth the long download.

Still haven't heard back regarding refund request. Just an automated message saying they did get my email but they have a backlog from Gamescom. Hmm. Will give it a few more days then send it again.

Zalusithix

I didn't see any way to resize the chat box. It's tiny right now so couldn't really communicate with others but could make out most were just trying to glitch the things in order to get to other parts of the area. Ultimately wasn't wowed by what I saw at all and don't really think it was worth the long download.

There's nothing to be wowed about other than the graphics. It's only a shell of what it should be in the end. Without all the activities that would normally be a part of the planet-side experience, it's just a glorified chat room with fancy avatars. It is, however, a critical base for what will be needed in the game. But even in its final form, it's not going to be something that you'll be talking about the next day with excitement. Some things simply need to be there to be the glue that holds everything together.

Tic174

Still haven't heard back regarding refund request. Just an automated message saying they did get my email but they have a backlog from Gamescom. Hmm. Will give it a few more days then send it again.

I think on reverse the verse they said they had about a 8 day back log to get through.

Geist-

Polygon just released this article. (Warning: It's fucking long)

Read the whole thing and it's neutral and fair. They interviewed the heads of the various studios as well as Chris Roberts of course, and there is a ton of interesting info in there. Apparently Chris Roberts doesn't take days off and doesn't get enough sleep. :-(

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Polygon just released this article. (Warning: It's fucking long)

Read the whole thing and it's neutral and fair. They interviewed the heads of the various studios as well as Chris Roberts of course, and there is a ton of interesting info in there. Apparently Chris Roberts doesn't take days off and doesn't get enough sleep. :-(

Yeah, I'd say there are lots of fair comments in there. The "scope creep" section doesn't mention that there is actually no scope creep and things have been locked down for a long time, but overall a lot better than usual.

Man, Derek Smart is all over those comments. This one stood out: "There is no lawsuit."
http://www.polygon.com/features/201...-hell-is-going-on-with-star-citizen#324133182
Edit: oh, that's interesting, that comment's gone now.

Also, I agree with one comment that said Polygon should now do a similar article on Line of Defense, ha

Best SC read/report in awhile.

Love this nugget...

It's hard not to be irritated when someone who is famous for being very late and then finally releasing a bug ridden game that doesn't do half the things he promised starts criticizing you for taking too long and not delivering on promises.

I demand LOD be looked into. NOW!

Meh, I don't know. I mean, Polygon seem capable of doing something like this:

CGgmeAo.jpg

Oh, I'm not saying that Polygon's coverage (especially the article in question) has been "fair" to the project. The author was Owen Good, who I am decidedly not a fan of.

It's their site, however, and they can moderate the comment section the way they want. When a post about a moderated comment makes a sub dogpile to that extent, especially when the article was factually correct, I have to start looking at why.

The reaction to today's article is a riot, though. "Hey, this one's good, so they're ok now!"

Daedardus

Oh, I'm not saying that Polygon's coverage (especially the article in question) has been "fair" to the project. The author was Owen Good, who I am decidedly not a fan of.

It's their site, however, and they can moderate the comment section the way they want. When a post about a moderated comment makes a sub dogpile to that extent, especially when the article was factually correct, I have to start looking at why.

The reaction to today's article is a riot, though. "Hey, this one's good, so they're ok now!"

I think the problem with Polygon's moderation policy is that it indeed is trying to shield criticism, whether factually correct or not. Maybe in this case it was slightly justified, but I have a totally different view on how a comment system should work.

I ran a almost no-name community blog. The thing that I found out was that people don't care about the actual news, they can get that from anywhere. It's about you present that news, and form well thought out opiniated pieces on them. When a user criticised something, I went in dialogue with them and laid out all facts, the positives and the negatives from something. This tactic worked really well since you create a great community base that visits your site often, instead of having to rely on clickbait for that one day. At one point in the better days, we had 80k unique visitors, which wasn't bad for a small site. Then again, the news was rather sparse and we had like only two to three articles on busy days, which makes it possible to do all this time.

I understand that a site like Polygon needs to push all the news as fast as it can, push out those previews, review and opinion articles but it's sad that the touch with community gets cast aside in the whole scheme of things. You can't expect an author residing in the comments for hours a day, but I wouldn't mind if they sometimes actual did something with the criticism. All it looks like is criticism getting deleted or just ignored, with the occasional comment when someone posts something positive. I still do think they have to make sure it doesn't get into personal attacks, but criticism of yourself shouldn't be deleted on the spot, you better react to it.

I do hate the way that Derek Smart is all over this though. Maybe it's time to create some script that changes Derek Smart references to the 'Our Lord Savior Derek Smart who Defiantly Battles the Unholy Game That Is Star Citizen', maybe then I'll at least have a laugh out of the guy.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Hmm, lots of comments got moderated out. Quite a few of Derek's comments are gone now, including the one I referred to earlier about there being no lawsuit.

I think the problem with Polygon's moderation policy is that it indeed is trying to shield criticism, whether factually correct or not. Maybe in this case it was slightly justified, but I have a totally different view on how a comment system should work.

I think the distinction here is scale, as you mentioned: they're a huge site, and given the way Gamergate works, I'm sure that they were/are receiving a huge number of "shut up feminazi" first posts, from dozens of aliases/alts, etc. Their "first post" rule, along with the idea that you can disagree but not imply that they're biased or wearing money hats, allows them to easily moderate a ton of non-constructive criticism. Then again, I don't read comment sections as a rule, and I'm curious how The Verge's experiment in closing comments completely has gone.

I will say that I've reached out to Polygon writers before, and had meaningful interactions with them - just not in the comment section. I'm wondering if, in general, sites are treating the comments as the place where low-effort, not-particularly-helpful posts live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom