• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Beta Thread: He’s holding a thermal detonator!

SomTervo

I love that there are no attachments and no bonus for zooming. If anyone is familiar with how Uncharted 2 played online before the patch of doom, this is like that but faster and with no cover system.

Hipfire is the main way to kill, with over the shoulder zooming for slower and more precise shots.

Wow, that just made me more excited than ever.

Vanilla Uncharted 2 - compared to Battlefront
Vanilla The Last of Us - compared to MGO

What a time to be alive

todahawk

BF4 beta was rough. This feels super polished already.

Yea but BF4 is stellar now. One of my favorite FPS multiplayer games ever after all the fixes.

I still play BF4 today and it plays great now. This already feels a lot better than BF4 was at launch. Not even close. They cant screw up a license like this.

It does feel polished and solid but still...

Yeah, i'm a BF4 vet and bought it day1 digital. I've watched it improve and it took a long, long time. While I appreciated DICE's efforts at fixing it they're still up against the arbitrary Force Awakens deadline with Battlefront.

Maybe the other modes aren't as polished. Maybe Walker assault is the best of the bunch and the rest is lacking? As much as I want this game to be rock solid I can't let myself get sucked in by a good but small slice.

0racle

How many maps are there that have different scenery?

I know there is 12 but are the each visually different?

Glorious Star Wars ships:

21833212499_6f88aab77d_o.png

22007834902_c500a8691f_o.png

I am really, really excited to see how good Endor looks in the final game.

TitusTroy

game sounds too 'accessible' and doesn't seem to require a high skill level...I read this quote in a review of the beta and I think it sums it up perfectly...

"deliberately uncomplicated in order to appeal to Star Wars fans rather than the shooter devotees who’ve played Battlefield 4 for 1,000 hours...

"I can sense it filling the Titanfall hole in my gaming—something I’ll play for 20 hours or so at launch, then sporadically throughout 2016, but perhaps not forever. This is one for people who just want to see an AT-AT storm towards Echo Base or take out a TIE Fighter in an X-Wing"

Yeah, i'm a BF4 vet and bought it day1 digital. I've watched it improve and it took a long, long time. While I appreciated DICE's efforts at fixing it they're still up against the arbitrary Force Awakens deadline with Battlefront.

Maybe the other modes aren't as polished. Maybe Walker assault is the best of the bunch and the rest is lacking? As much as I want this game to be rock solid I can't let myself get sucked in by a good but small slice.

Well hopefully they've applied what they've learned with BF4 to Battlefront. Overall though Im pretty impressed with how the beta plays from a sheer technical standpoint in regards to frame rate and lag. It just works, which is how it should be.

My biggest concerns right now are balancing. Drop zone feels pretty balanced but its not difficult to make a game balanced when its 8v8 no vehicles and only a handful of weapons. The teams are essential identical.

But the Walker Assault mode......as it stands is pretty broken I feel. Theres too many check boxes that the rebels have to perform to stand a chance while the empire pretty much just as to try and do a decent job of keeping the Rebels away from the uplinks to almost be assured a win.

Its possible i guess but honestly, i think this may be why they toned the game down (like going from 64 players to 40 online). I think with BF4 it was a simple matter of "biting off a lot more than they could chew". This doesn't give me that impression at all. Theres seems to be "less" content than BF4 but all of it is very polished. I don't think itll be like BF4 at all at launch. Id be stunned if it was.

Can see myself playing this game for years the same way I played Battlefront 1 and 2. Thank you DICE for bringing Battlefront back and not screwing it up.

Can see myself playing this game for years the same way I played Battlefront 1 and 2. Thank you DICE for bringing Battlefront back and not screwing it up.
Yeah, I'll be playing this until at least the next one comes out. Done with bloated modern shooters. I love the simplicity of Battlefront.

The Lamp

I won't get to play this because I leave the country tonight, but the impressions have got me so excited. Please be good at launch. Please don't be a buggy mess with buggy online.

Played for a while last night. It's pretty fun, but a crappy version for XB1 as usual. Resolution and performance is poor just like BF4 and BFHL.

did the system work in a real enviroment tho?

The test video was running in real time it appears, but who knows on what hardware.

It looks cool in a test video but Im not sure splitting the players between space and land would be all that great in practice, unless you were able to pull off a 64 player count, which the old systems wouldnt have been able to do.

Don't worry, it'll come full circle a month or two after launch if every other game ever on GAF is anything to go by. xD

I think it all about setting your expectations realistically. If people are expecting this game to have as much content as BF4 to unlock then yes, i think theyre going to be disappointed a month after launch. There will probably be no reddot sights type of equipment to unlock for your guns, there probably wont be any skins to your guns and vehicles either as Disney probably want the vehicles and guns to look like star wars.

If you set your expectations accordingly, i think people will be ok. If you expect a BF4 level of unlocks and content, i think people will be disappointed. Thats my guess.

SomTervo

did the system work in a real enviroment tho?

What do you mean?

They apparently had working demos of flying an X-Wing out of a rebel ship, down into the planet's atmosphere, and down to land where you could get out and run around.

IIRC, there's unofficial footage of it released after the game was shut down, and it worked fine. I remember watching it and thinking it looked great.

The test video was running in real time it appears, but who knows on what hardware.

It looks cool in a test video but Im not sure splitting the players between space and land would be all that great in practice, unless you were able to pull off a 64 player count, which the old systems wouldnt have been able to do.

IIRC the idea was that one faction would start on the space ship and be 'attacking' the ground base. They weren't really split - they met half way and pushed back and forth.

Wil348

"deliberately uncomplicated in order to appeal to Star Wars fans rather than the shooter devotees who’ve played Battlefield 4 for 1,000 hours..."

That's because the game is meant to appeal to Star Wars fans, and there is nothing inherrently wrong with that. We've had Battlefield games before, and we are getting BF6 next year, I don't see the problem with them making a different game for a different crowd. Just remember that its Star Wars, and people of all ages will want to play this, not just 'shooter devotees'.

That said, if you are expecting a clone of Battlefield but with a Star Wars skin you will be pleased/disappointed to know that this is not the case. It felt ike a very different beast to Battlefield across the board.

Good to hear, how's it look?
At tad blurry with some heavy aliasing on objects further than 20 or so feet away but on the whole, looks like a mix of Medium/High on the PC build and the textures and particle effects look gorgeous.

I'm super excited to hop onto the PS4 and PC versions as those are the versions I'm buying on Day One and the eye candy on my 980 will be gloriousss.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd like to buy it, but not at AU$89.99 off Origin. It's too much, partially due to my concerns of longevity and overall content, but mostly due to the price outright. I can't remember the last time I paid $90 for a new game.

TitusTroy

That said, if you are expecting a clone of Battlefield but with a Star Wars skin you will be pleased/disappointed to know that this is not the case. It felt ike a very different beast to Battlefield across the board.

the lack of physics destruction, lack of squads/classes and no meaningful vehicle combat is a dead giveaway that this is not a Battlefield game :)

There is minor environmental and structural destruction.

I'm really happy this game isn't a Battlefield 4 clone. I'm so tired of bloated shooters with unlocks upon unlocks and attachments for your attachments. Battlefront is raw gameplay and that's fantastic.

RS4-

I don't mind the lack of bf styled vehicle spawns. Not sure if I actually miss classes. Would be fine if they give you a lot of char slots though for load outs.

I only played for about 40 mins, more fun than MGO. MGO for me right now, is just a shittier UC3. Would love MGO more if it was leaning towards TLOU.

Oh yeah, game needs more destruction etc etc.

Boke1879

I wonder if after the beta. EA and DICE will ramp up up the marketing for the game?

Initially so far the impressions seem to be positive among players and I'm sure that'll translate when the beta is available to all.

todahawk

Well hopefully they've applied what they've learned with BF4 to Battlefront. Overall though Im pretty impressed with how the beta plays from a sheer technical standpoint in regards to frame rate and lag. It just works, which is how it should be.

My biggest concerns right now are balancing. Drop zone feels pretty balanced but its not difficult to make a game balanced when its 8v8 no vehicles and only a handful of weapons. The teams are essential identical.

But the Walker Assault mode......as it stands is pretty broken I feel. Theres too many check boxes that the rebels have to perform to stand a chance while the empire pretty much just as to try and do a decent job of keeping the Rebels away from the uplinks to almost be assured a win.
Agreed, I like what I see but I'm being cautious. Drop zone does feel pretty balanced and I love the push and pull of fighting over the drop pods.

From what I heard with the Alpha the Rebels had more of a upper hand. For the Beta it sounds like they swung a bit too far. Every single time we played last night the rebels were crushed. Last match as a rebel I called in an orbital strike on a walker and brought it down but 5 seconds later the other walker hit the generators.

Its possible i guess but honestly, i think this may be why they toned the game down (like going from 64 players to 40 online). I think with BF4 it was a simple matter of "biting off a lot more than they could chew". This doesn't give me that impression at all. Theres seems to be "less" content than BF4 but all of it is very polished. I don't think itll be like BF4 at all at launch. Id be stunned if it was.

I do like that they seemed to tackle Battlefront features from a pretty reasonable standpoint. I do hope that EA & DICE learned from the BF4 blowback and need to earn our trust back. Fingers crossed.

Played a couple rounds of split screen and a handful of the pod securing multiplayer mode. I absolutely love it so far. The visuals and sound design are just next level. The sound of the lasers hitting the shield and some of the grenades are just phenomenal.

The game itself is a load of fun too. Looking forward to the BETA opening up so I can get into some AT AT rounds. Definitely picking this up on launch. It'll have its issues for sure, but it looks to be a bloody blast.

Ark

Walker Assault wasn't even close to balanced in the Alpha, so I'm a little surprised to hear its still so imbalanced now in this beta.

Top Bottom