• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Beta Thread: He’s holding a thermal detonator!

is this New ? Battlefront collector Edition with a Light saber for 240€

http://www.amazon.de/Star-Wars-Battlefront-Lichtschwert-Amazon/dp/B016MFT5M0/ref=zg_bsms_videogames_home_2?pf_rd_p=233804527&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=2301&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_r=1R58ANCZ2R6RENFS06VJ

Never heard of it before

According to the description the handle is made of metal

I have the Kylo Ren version of that saber, and previously owned the RoTJ Luke saber. It's a really nice collectible and great for cosplay, but you can totally find the Luke saber for $120-ish new. It being bundled with the game doesn't seem worth it.

Hasbro Force FX sabers if anyone is interested.

Impulsor

I currently do not know which version to get. I have a beastly PC. A lot of friends are getting it on PC. But a lot of friends are getting it on PS4 too.

Geez...

MADGAME

I currently do not know which version to get. I have a beastly PC. A lot of friends are getting it on PC. But a lot of friends are getting it on PS4 too.

Geez...

Game looks fantastic on max settings on PC. I'm going with the PS4 version, but if I were considering PC my concern would be if the community will be strong long-term. If yes, then I would say PC would definitely be a consideration for me.

MADGAME

Not sure if this was known, but today EA confirmed Zabraks in the final game in a reply on Facebook:

Random dude: Looking great EA!! What races or other customizable options for your trooper will we have access to , and will more be relaxed later in the games life?

EA Star Wars: We will allow customization, such as selecting various character heads, loadouts, emotes etc. The Beta offered human based characters only. The final game will feature many species, including Twi’leks, Sullustans, Zabraks, and more.

MDSLKTR

Game looks fantastic on max settings on PC. I'm going with the PS4 version, but if I were considering PC my concern would be if the community will be strong long-term. If yes, then I would say PC would definitely be a consideration for me.

Yeah hardline and titanfall are basically ghost towns on origin, so is the cod series on steam. I don't see it having much statying power on pc

Prototype

So basically less weapons in the entire game than a single class in Battlefield. And no weapon customization. Nice.
Exactly. Less meaningless options. Less bullshit menus to have to go through. More arcade like, pick up and go gameplay.

This is exactly why I'm interested in the game.

That said, I'm not just giving the game a free pass. The number of maps is low. The hero/ villain count is low. And the season pass is too expensive. No single player campaign. <-- those are the real issues with the game. Everything else is fine , and the beta was an absolute blast that took me from meh to yes.

Edit
Even something like battlefront 2 voiceover bookends was something. I kind of liked it. Gave some insight to the Star Wars universe , and let me participate in some of the series biggest battles.

I'm fine with streamlining (less weapons, but better differentiation, etc). But the gameplay itself was simplified too much I think (in terms of meaningful team gameplay).

So basically less weapons in the entire game than a single class in Battlefield. And no weapon customization. Nice.
Let's be honest, Battlefield 3 and 4 had the most obnoxious unlock systems in the history of gaming. The further Battlefront is from that, the better.

I'm fine with streamlining (less weapons, but better differentiation, etc). But the gameplay itself was simplified too much I think (in terms of meaningful team gameplay).
I have to agree with you there, even a revive mechanic would have been nice.

Fuz

Banned

Yeah, for me it got boring and repetitive just after a few matches.
Too simplified. I understand that they're targeting the wider possible audience, but it's just too plain and uninteresting.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Does anyone know if EA announced anything about region locked servers?
Tempted to grab the US PSN version but I wanted to play mostly on the Japanese servers because of the better ping.

WillyFive

btw here is the connection between Imperial City and the "lava lair".
It was not a separate lava planet but actually a part of Imperial City.
Sometimes I have the feeling the prequels had altzheimers when it came to Star Wars origins.

vaderlands.jpg

streetsofcoruscant.jpg

vaderpalaceent.jpg

laircorridor.jpg

vaderlairentrance.jpg

vaderbringsluketoemperor.jpg

That is so much better than a second Death Star and Endor.

Imagine a movie with the rebel fleet fighting above Curuscant, with Han Solo and crew infiltrating the Imperial capital as Luke and Vader dish it out in the Emperor's lair. Very Blade Runner-like.

Let's be honest, Battlefield 3 and 4 had the most obnoxious unlock systems in the history of gaming. The further Battlefront is from that, the better.

I have to agree with you there, even a revive mechanic would have been nice.

Yeah, for me it got boring and repetitive just after a few matches.
Too simplified. I understand that they're targeting the wider possible audience, but it's just too plain and uninteresting.

I honestly think if they would have also included a support mechanic of some kind (revive kits, ammo/boost kit things) it would have helped. Good examples (even as Star Cards):

1) Revive kit. Can only be used once every 10 seconds.
2) Group shield. Lasts for 3-4 seconds, encompasses 3-4 people around you.
3) Star Card refresh beacon. Standing near it makes your star cards recycle 3-4 times faster.

Things like that, that would promote team play but still fit into the current system.

GravyButt

Ahh cool just preordered it digitally for the xb1 via ea access for the slight discount and early access and it already started downloading. Not that it really makes a difference but at least itll be all set to go when its time!!

Still having major withdrawals from the beta though. Really really had fun with it.

Lrrr

Pretty good chance both will be in one of the expansion packs

Cloud City would be perfect for vehicle battles and whatever DICE is calling their KOTH mode.

It's something I can see coming in an expansion pack. Would have loved to see him in the base game. That swag ass outfit running around a map.

DICE actually has five versions of Lando they could choose from, but hopefully, if he's added, they use the 'Cloud City' ESB version (which is, imo, the BEST one):

A search and it appears the 12 maps are just Endor, Hoth and Sullus with the latter having 4 variations of the map for different game modes. I see nothing about the Death Star, Tatooine, Naboo, etc. I suppose this is where that $50 season pass comes into play. :/

prag16

Banned
^ Tatooine is in the main game. Otherwise yeah, we're gonna have to pony up for the rest, if they decide to include any of those.

Not getting the season pass out of the gate. Not gonna fork over the cash totally sight unseen.

Bahlor

^ Tatooine is in the main game. Otherwise yeah, we're gonna have to pony up for the rest, if they decide to include any of those.

Not getting the season pass out of the gate. Not gonna fork over the cash totally sight unseen.

I just hope those map variations are really different as they said and not just different parts of the same map for each game type. I'm totally fine with just Endor, Tatooine, Hoth and Sullus for the base game as long as they have enough "maps" based on those planets for all game modes.

About season pass... I think I will be getting it... DICE never disappointed on low content or similar. BF3/4 addons had great value and I'm sure it won't be different with such a big game as Battlefront. Hope they add space battles in one of those. ^^

VinFTW

Sorry to bump this, was wondering how the Battlefront beta ran on Xbox One?

I have $60 in Xbox Store credit and don't want to shell out money for the PS4 version if the X1 version is satisfactory.

- Specs of both versions?

- How'd it look on X1?

- How'd it run?

- etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

gossi

Sorry to bump this, was wondering how Battlefront ran on Xbox One?

I have $60 in Xbox Store credit and don't want to shell out money for the PS4 version if the X1 version is satisfactory.

- How'd it look on X1?

- How'd it run?

- etc.

720p on Xbox One, 900p on PS4.

I played both versions, to be honest from the couch they looked exactly the same. I'm sure if you took screenshots the PS4 version would look a bit better, but peeps tend to buy games to play them.

Sorry to bump this, was wondering how Battlefront ran on Xbox One?

- How'd it look on X1?

- How'd it run?

- etc.

It runs at 900p 60fps on PS4 and I believe 720p 60fps on X1. The Xbox version looks a bit muddier.

VinFTW

It runs at 900p 60fps on PS4 and I believe 720p 60fps on X1. The Xbox version looks a bit muddier.

720p on Xbox One, 900p on PS4.

I played both versions, to be honest from the couch they looked exactly the same. I'm sure if you took screenshots the PS4 version would look a bit better, but peeps tend to buy games to play them.

Hmm, that's not very enticing :/

I could deal w/ 900p, but 720p? Damn.

Is the frame rate at least a locked or close-to 60?

Dunlop

Sorry to bump this, was wondering how the Battlefront beta ran on Xbox One?

- How'd it look on X1?

- How'd it run?

- etc.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...attlefront-xbox-one-beta-performance-analysis

I want this on Xb1 because of the EA access discount but I only have one controller so will end up with it on PS4 lol

gossi

It's the same as Battlefield 4 and Hardline on XB1, both are 720p. The fps is somewhere around 50fps average on both platforms.

VinFTW

Shit guys, this sucks. I don't want to deal with 720p in 2015 :/ I can deal with 900p.

I guess I can just get BLOPS3 using the store credit and return the copy of BLOPS3 physical back to Target for a PS4 copy of Battlefront when it releases.

RoKKeR

For what it's worth you're going to get a lot of XBO impressions on Thursday when it releases for EA Access. Played the beta and wasn't bothered by the resolution, personally, but YMMV. Was also disappointed at the number but I tend to forget about it once I'm in a game and playing, at least that's my take. *shrug*

VinFTW

For what it's worth you're going to get a lot of XBO impressions on Thursday when it releases for EA Access. Played the beta and wasn't bothered by the resolution, personally, but YMMV. Was also disappointed at the number but I tend to forget about it once I'm in a game and playing, at least that's my take. *shrug*

I can definitely probably get used to it, but it'll be rough at first. I COULD have the option to get the PS4 version w/ a little extra work but if I'm not lazy I could get the superior version.

This is out in less than 24 hours on the Xone

If their previous early access schedule is anything to go by.

Excite!

Also Vin, didn't have nowhere near a problem on BF compared to BF4/BFH in regards to spotting enemies. But it's not the best.

VinFTW

This is out in less than 24 hours on the Xone

If their previous early access schedule is anything to go by.

Excite!

Also Vin, didn't have nowhere near a problem on BF compared to BF4/BFH in regards to spotting enemies. But it's not the best.

I was hoping you'd come here lol

Knew you'd be an expert. Does resolution usually bother you? Was it AT ALL an issue in this one? How'd the FR feel?

I was hoping you'd come here lol

Knew you'd be an expert. Does resolution usually bother you? Was it AT ALL an issue in this one? How'd the FR feel?

Performance bothers me more

Given how pretty this game is, the performance on the X1 was fantastic. Dipped only when everything was going off at once. But mostly 60 FPS consistently.

Resolution, is a mixture, when you zoomed out in BF4 it was a horrible pixelated mess.

This one fairs a lot better, same resolution better aliasing.

I mean, we played on hoth, with everyone also being white or off white colour almost, and I had no problem spotting them in the trenches.

gossi

Given how pretty this game is, the performance on the X1 was fantastic.

Resolution, is a mixture, when you zoomed out in BF4 it was a horrible pixelated mess.

I mean, we played on hoth, with everyone also being white or off white colour almost, and I had no problem spotting them in the trenches.

Yeah, I can back this up. It's fine on XB1. I played on PS4 too the beta weekend and in motion, from the couch, it looks pretty similar.

Digital Foundry has performance captures up, both versions are 50-60fps.

VinFTW

Given how pretty this game is, the performance on the X1 was fantastic. Dipped only when everything was going off at once. But mostly 60 FPS consistently.

Hmmm, the benefit of getting it on X1 is playing with a bunch of Halo peeps on my friends list.

Fuck, you made my decision harder.

Then again, the other maps could look awwwwful.

Kolgar

Check out this comparison video, which I ran on my 75" 1080p TV last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Q6ETbv7Wk

To my eyes, the PS4 version looks a little sharper. Most surprisingly to me is that colors and contrast seem to be more muted on X1.

Granted, when I played both betas, I really couldn't see a difference. I took several captures but haven't compared them yet. That will be the final determinant for me.

Edit: Just compared shots by A/B switching inputs. Surprisingly negligible. I can see slightly more detail on my character's clothing on PS4 and a few more jaggies on my character on X1. But it's close, and I don't have any of the color discrepancies of the video I posted above.

JimiNutz

Banned

Thats how I felt.
I was tempted to buy the Vader PS4 just for this game but ultimately I had a lot of fun with the game on Xbox One and I didn't really care about the resolution when playing it. The game still plays well and I never felt like the resolution effected that in any way. For what it's worth I never had any issues spotting players across the map either.

The final straw for me was when I remembered that I can play the game 5 days early on Xbox.

Top Bottom