• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Beta Thread: He’s holding a thermal detonator!

Four packs, right?

I think I want the packs to start off favoring the Sequel Trilogy, be a healthy mix of OT/ST/PT in the middle, and finish favoring the Prequel Trilogy.

Seems like a logical plan. Take advantage of new movie hype at the beginning. Then start hopping around and exploring for the people who stick around a while. Finally hit the PT for the more hardcore fans after much of the casual fans have already moved on.

Considering that the primary focus of today's Star Wars seems to be OT and beyond, I dont see them pouring a lot of resources into the PT right away. That's why I talk about it like a niche market the way I do, even though I know there are plenty of clone era fans. I too want clone era maps and skins, but that's clearly not what they want to focus on with this new game and the new trilogy.

Yep, it's a shame actually as the prequel era has some great planets and would make for some fantastic maps. Utapau, Umbara, Theed in Naboo etc.

For new locations I'd like to see the real, non-Blade Runner Coruscant, Bespin, Death Star, Dantooine, the Maw, Korriban, Dagobah.

Korriban's no longer canon so I doubt they'd use it. I'd expect Bespin and Dagobah to definitely be in the season pass.

Yep, it's a shame actually as the prequel era has some great planets and would make for some fantastic maps. Utapau, Umbara, Theed in Naboo etc.

Korriban's no longer canon so I doubt they'd use it. I'd expect Bespin and Dagobah to definitely be in the season pass.
Isnt it renamed to Morriban?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
For new locations I'd like to see the real, non-Blade Runner Coruscant, Bespin, Death Star, Dantooine, the Maw, Korriban, Dagobah.

What does this even mean? The first representation of Coruscant on-screen was Return of the Jedi and it looked the same as the prequel one.
Isnt it renamed to Morriban?

Yes, and that really irritated me. I mean it was just one bloody letter, they coulda just left it in there. It's not like the Clone Wars version of the planet was vastly different from Korriban as it was.

Rudiano

Banned

large.gif

What does this even mean? The first representation of Coruscant on-screen was Return of the Jedi and it looked the same as the prequel one.

Yes, and that really irritated me. I mean it was just one bloody letter, they coulda just left it in there. It's not like the Clone Wars version of the planet was vastly different from Korriban as it was.
I believe that scene of Coruscant was only added after Episode I came out.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I believe that scene of Coruscant was only added after Episode I came out.

No it wasn't, it was there from day 1 of the special edition in 1997. Naboo was added after Episode 1.

Not really relevant I suppose, just not really sure what you mean by the 'real' version of Coruscant. There has only ever been one version of it, unless you can't the really old version from the original Kotor comics, which themselves were essentially retconned by the Kotor games/comics.

Markitron

Ah, well it's still word of God crap from Lucas like the rest of the mistakes added in the special editions.

So what's the 'real' version then? It seems to me like you were fine with Coruscant until you found out it had no tangible connection to the original trilogy, and there was no 'old' version. Prequel-moaning just for the sake of it.

The Coruscant in the films is pretty similar to what Timothy Zahn envisaged in Heir to the Empire. That was based on Lucas' vision for a city-wide planet.

Markitron

The Coruscant in the films is pretty similar to what Timothy Zahn envisaged in Heir to the Empire. That was based on Lucas' vision for a city-wide planet.

AFAIK the end of ROTJ was always intended to be set on Coruscant but they couldn't do it at the time. I'm not 100% sure if this was ever supposed to be on that version of Coruscant, but I would have loved to see this version of the throne room:

Star-Wars-Lava-Throne-Room-BagoGames.jpg

AFAIK the end of ROTJ was always intended to be set on Coruscant but they couldn't do it at the time. I'm not 100% sure if this was ever supposed to be Coruscant by name, but I would loved to see this version of the throne room:

Star-Wars-Lava-Throne-Room-BagoGames.jpg

Yeah, it would have been fantastic if they could have done it. I say it all the time but I love McQuarrie's art.

So what's the 'real' version then? It seems to me like you were fine with Coruscant until you found out it had no tangible connection to the original trilogy, and there was no 'old' version. Prequel-moaning just for the sake of it.
There is no real version yet to me. I want to see something unique. Coruscant as depicted is just so generic. Pretty much every megacity in sci-fi looks the same.

Also yeah, I hate the prequels and special editions. I'm so glad that Lucas doesn't have creative input anymore.

I would love to see some of these places. They would offer some great places to explore and some good variety. Plus I can imagine my face melting off seeing these with Battlefront's graphics.

1. Mustafar
  2. Kashyyyk
  3. Felucia
  4. Coruscant
  5. Kamino

How did I forget Felucia? That is such a unique planet. And I don't think adding in Prequel planets would negatively affect Battlefront. We don't have to have prequel armies, these battles could be happening during the OT, but on these prequel planets. I'd love to see some of these rendered with current gen tech.

Guy.brush

There was concept art for "Imperial City" as early as the 78-81. This is from Ralph McQuarrie.
It is quite a bit harsher and more "gothic" looking than the "commercial district" version we got in the prequels.

u13l2s2b.jpg

u13l2s2c.jpg

1168.jpg

rmq-coruscant2.jpg

coruscant1.jpg

Markitron

There was concept art for "Imperial City" as early as the 78-81. This is from Ralph McQuarrie.
It is quite a bit harsher and more "gothic" looking than the "commercial district" version we got in the prequels.

u13l2s2b.jpg

u13l2s2c.jpg

1168.jpg

rmq-coruscant2.jpg

coruscant1.jpg

I have never seen these before, looks great. I don't think it's too far away from what we got though, Coruscant was still limited by the tech of the late 90's. I'm sure it will show up in the new movies eventually and look great.

Guy.brush

I have never seen these before, looks great. I don't think it's too far away from what we got though, Coruscant was still limited by the tech of the late 90's. I'm sure it will show up in the new movies eventually and look great.

btw here is the connection between Imperial City and the "lava lair".
It was not a separate lava planet but actually a part of Imperial City.
Sometimes I have the feeling the prequels had altzheimers when it came to Star Wars origins.

vaderlands.jpg

streetsofcoruscant.jpg

vaderpalaceent.jpg

laircorridor.jpg

vaderlairentrance.jpg

vaderbringsluketoemperor.jpg

1) Space (Death Star?)
Oh man. like, Escape on the Falcon as a mode? I guess like Walker Assault but you push as rebels, have to disable shield generators, external gun batteries, etc. and only as you get close to the hangar do the hero pickups drop (Vader for the Imperials, Obi Wan for the Rebels)

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
DICE did a Twitter Q&A and revealed or just confirmed a few stuff we knew before. Not sure if this warranted a new thread (since new info = new thread), but thought to post it here.

Q:THE QUESTION EVERYONE WANTS TO KNOW, Will there be a jedi/hero vs sith/villian mode like the other battlefront
A: Yes, we will offer both a Heroes vs. Villains mode and a Hero Hunt mode in our Multiplayer modes and you can play Hero Battles in our Missions offerings.

Q: Is there going to be clan support?
A: While we will not offer clan support at launch, we never like to rule anything out for the future.

Q: So there is no server browser, can I join a group of 5 or 6 friends and we all join the same server? Will we each go to our separate servers because we have different skill levels?
A: At launch you will be able to join up with seven of your friends to make a full party of eight players. You will all be able to join the same game and play with each other. Skill level will be measured as a whole with a party of eight.

Q: Splitscreen features (the full game, not the beta) Is that just for offline co-op mode, or is it also for online co-op and for competitive (versus) multiplayer?
A: Split-screen will only be available within our Star Wars Battlefront Mission modes and will allow you and one other friend to play with each other.

Q: will the star wars game have multiplayer modes that work with no internet completely offline also will future star wars games be steam game (say no please)
A: All of the Multiplayer modes within Star Wars Battlefront will require an online connection and will not be available offline.
Star Wars Battlefront for PC will only be Lailable through Origin.

Q: I have noticed through watching gameplay videos that the ATST takes a lot of damage from by enemy player blaster fire will the armour of the ATST be improved so it doesn't take as much damage from ground units blaster fire?
A: We have some cool changes coming to the AT-ST from what you saw int e Beta. Stay tuned for those details.

Q: I really dont like that you have to buy the weapons and grenades. And pick ups just dont add to the game. Rocket launchers should be apart of your wepon choices. I dont like that you cant run out of ammo. And vehicles shouldnt need to be picked up. Like battlefield they should just be on the map. Those are my thoughts.
A: Not sure there is a question here, but I want to clear a few things up. You have only had a taste of the Weapons, Gadgets, Star Cards, and Traits available within Star Wars Battlefront. We have a lot of primary weapons and a nice mixed bag of everything else. We have a fairly cool Weapons hub that will be launched soon, so standby.

Q1: In 'Walker Assault' mode, the odds seem uneven. I've played it dozens of times now, and the rebels never win. It seems the AT-AT's have a ridiculous amount of health and always make it to the end.
Q2: Sensitivy in the AT-ST's and the planes are way too high on a console. Maybe it's possible to put in an option to customize this.
A1.) This is a known issue within the Beta and is also a side effect of having weapons and Star Cards locked and not available within the Beta build. The balance within the final game will be addressed.
A2.) The team is looking into requests around this feature.

Q: Dear Dice team why don't you have classes in your game?
The team built Star Wars Battlefront around the ability for you to make up your own class on how you like to play. While the Beta felt limiting, this was due to having only a few weapons and Star Cards etc... available.
A: Your concerns on the other items I fell will be alleviated once you see the full layout of Weapons, Star Cards, Traits etc...

More stuff at the link but just I think I posted the important bits:http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/forums/discussion/comment/21480

Q: So there is no server browser, can I join a group of 5 or 6 friends and we all join the same server? Will we each go to our separate servers because we have different skill levels?
A: At launch you will be able to join up with seven of your friends to make a full party of eight players. You will all be able to join the same game and play with each other. Skill level will be measured as a whole with a party of eight.
So basically super-confirmed there's no server browser at all planned for this? Not sure I'm down with that, I like having a server browser. :(

So basically super-confirmed there's no server browser at all planned for this? Not sure I'm down with that, I like having a server browser. :(

If you notice, they also didn't even say you're playing on the same team...because you're not. If you join with 8 people, some will be rebels and some imperials.

There is legitimately no way in this game, in 2015, to play on the same team as your friends.

Oh and it's also been confirmed there are no private matches, only public random matchmaking.

jorma

is now taking requests
If you notice, they also didn't even say you're playing on the same team...because you're not. If you join with 8 people, some will be rebels and some imperials.

How do you then explain this sentence: "Skill level will be measured as a whole with a party of eight."

Why would the party skill level be measured instead of the individiual skill level if the matching algorithm will break up the party anyway?

prag16

Banned

There is legitimately no way in this game, in 2015, to play on the same team as your friends.

Oh and it's also been confirmed there are no private matches, only public random matchmaking.

Are you sure? I played with friends during the beta, and it seemed to always have us on the same team when we were able to join a game properly. However there was an issue that in some cases it would show all of us in the same lobby, then one of us would end up in a completely different. When rejoining after that, it would sometimes split us up.

Has there been explicit confirmation of how the party system works/behaves?

Are you sure? I played with friends during the beta, and it seemed to always have us on the same team when we were able to join a game properly. However there was an issue that in some cases it would show all of us in the same lobby, then one of us would end up in a completely different. When rejoining after that, it would sometimes split us up.

Has there been explicit confirmation of how the party system works/behaves?

There has not been, only the beta experience where people have been placed on random teams (or disconnected). When people have asked if they can join a game as a team with friends, and the answer is always that we can all play in a game together. They carefully avoid saying on the same team, which is telling.

As to how they can balance if they are randomly moving players...they are generally balancing matches not a team-by-team basis, they are doing it on a match basis. So in other words, if a team has 19 noobs and the other team has 20 good players, they aren't going to stick an incredible player on the crappy team so that both average out. Instead, match-making tends to put similarly-ranked players in the same match. So if you're rank 100 and your stats are awesome, you should be placed in matches with similarly-matched people. Of course this breaks down quickly because there will only be so many at the top. Other games like Mechwarrior Online have problems where top-ranked players sometimes have to wait 30 minutes to join a game because there aren't enough similar players online. The alternative is to just dump them into an average-player game, but that defeats the purpose of matchmaking.

In the end matchmaking has never really worked anyway.

bati

There has not been, only the beta experience where people have been placed on random teams (or disconnected). When people have asked if they can join a game as a team with friends, and the answer is always that we can all play in a game together. They carefully avoid saying on the same team, which is telling.

I've played the entire beta with two friends, we were always partied up and if we all entered the lobby screen before any of us clicked Join we'd end up on the same team, always. But if someone was already in a match that was in progress then the late arrivals would go to whatever team had free spots open.

prag16

Banned
I've played the entire beta with two friends, we were always partied up and if we all entered the lobby screen before any of us clicked Join we'd end up on the same team, always. But if someone was already in a match that was in progress then the late arrivals would go to whatever team had free spots open.
This was pretty much my experience.

Hopefully the instances of group splitting were just a problem with the beta. I know they also had problems with some of the party getting in, and others being booted (which is obviously an unintended error).

Looked around, but haven't noticed an answer to this. Are we stuck in squads of 2 or will they at least up it to 4 when the game releases? Blows to grab a bunch of friends to jump on and only be allowed to run with a single person..

gossi

Looked around, but haven't noticed an answer to this. Are we stuck in squads of 2 or will they at least up it to 4 when the game releases? Blows to grab a bunch of friends to jump on and only be allowed to run with a single person..

There's squads of up to 5, however you can only spawn with your partner.

bombshell

Thought 5 sounded odd. Is there a place to read all if this info?

Hmm, not sure, but I can answer your previous post.

Only your partner is a different color, not your party mates. I don't think you can switch partner during games, but you can freely choose partner among your party mates on the main menu. I hope they're planning for the full game to make all your party mates stand out from randoms and not just the partner.

gossi

Woops, sorry, I meant 8. The squad system is kinda... not very good, sadly. You will have problems finding your friends. Hopefully they change it post release.

Hmm, not sure, but I can answer your previous post.

Only your partner is a different color, not your party mates. I don't think you can switch partner during games, but you can freely choose partner among your party mates on the main menu. I hope they're planning for the full game to make all your party mates stand out from randoms and not just the partner.
Woops, sorry, I meant 8. The squad system is kinda... not very good, sadly. You will have problems finding your friends. Hopefully they change it post release.

Wow. That's pretty disappointing, if true. Bunch of friends are grabbing the game to play together. Why would they split everyone up like that? PS2 kept us together! Not cool. Thanks for the terrible info! lol..

bombshell

Wow. That's pretty disappointing, if true. Bunch of friends are grabbing the game to play together. Why would they split everyone up like that? PS2 kept us together! Not cool. Thanks for the terrible info! lol..

The whole party is on the same team, so you're not split in that sense. You just only have a dynamic spawn point with your partner.

gossi

The whole party is on the same team, so you're not split in that sense. You just only have a dynamic spawn point with your partner.

Aye. But it's difficult to know what your squad are doing since you can't.. tell. There's also no voice chat in the game, so you will need to party up outside of the game.

majik13

As to how they can balance if they are randomly moving players...they are generally balancing matches not a team-by-team basis, they are doing it on a match basis. So in other words, if a team has 19 noobs and the other team has 20 good players, they aren't going to stick an incredible player on the crappy team so that both average out. Instead, match-making tends to put similarly-ranked players in the same match. So if you're rank 100 and your stats are awesome, you should be placed in matches with similarly-matched people. Of course this breaks down quickly because there will only be so many at the top. Other games like Mechwarrior Online have problems where top-ranked players sometimes have to wait 30 minutes to join a game because there aren't enough similar players online. The alternative is to just dump them into an average-player game, but that defeats the purpose of matchmaking.

In the end matchmaking has never really worked anyway.

Every time we joined a game togeather as a team in the beta (4 of us) it always put us on the same team no matter what. The only time we would be on seperate teams would be if some one was already in a match and we just did "join game".
Aye. But it's difficult to know what your squad are doing since you can't.. tell. There's also no voice chat in the game, so you will need to party up outside of the game.

yeah I hope they change this. 1 color for partner and 1 for friends/party members. I think Battlefield did this?

gossi

There's some other weirdness. If your friends join your squad mid game - which will happen as games are long - they can end up on the other team if your team is full. There's no obvious way around that, however.

It's not really an issue since there is no room in the game for groups of people to run off on their own to get objectives, all game modes are very linear and tight, meaning you can't really operate as an independent unit.

It's not really an issue since there is no room in the game for groups of people to run off on their own to get objectives, all game modes are very linear and tight, meaning you can't really operate as an independent unit.
Options are nice, man. I'm very used to running with my girl and two other friends..we played it on the PS2 with none of this separation. It's quite lame..

Do we know anything about the character customization besides male/female and some non-human races in a few videos?

Would be cool to see stuff like twi'leks and such as options on the Rebel side at least.

Options are nice, man. I'm very used to running with my girl and two other friends..we played it on the PS2 with none of this separation. It's quite lame..

Oh I agree with you 100%. I want there to be actual squads or ways to identify and work with your party. But the game design (no viewable map, no open maps, no multiple objectives) mean that in the end, it's pretty much a solo game where you're really just all crammed into tight spaces with everyone else all the time, all going for the same thing.

majik13

I think it would be nice to just have a unique color for friends/squads. Just so that you can identify them in the choas. Its kinda difficult to read names as it is now.

Top Bottom